• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fair enough, it is a little stereotypical, but I was making a point :tongue: Teaching with passion=ENFJ, or whatever you were trying to say with that, is also stereotypical, and not even a very solid stereotype.

But those videos I posted were designed to demonstrate the topics he focuses on, not the passion with which he teaches them. I definitely stated that he was focusing on the value of science to society (video 1), the interconnectivity of life on earth with the rest of the universe (video 2), and the fact that he "feels bad" for a photon that he traps with his telescope. (!) (video 3). I stated these things.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna guess ESFJ. Fe Si Ne

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see what you did there. You want to include that Ne in there as a tertiary.
:greatscott:
Heh. He doesn't sound like an ENTP. He's too convenient!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a huge fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson's.

The only type I see is BAMF.

Here's an hour long interview of Tyson by Colbert. Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE="YXh9RQCvxmg"]Colbert interviews Neil deGrasse Tyson[/YOUTUBE]

I liked the part where the audience was reciting pi to a few digits. I started reciting out loud with them, but they trailed off before I was finished.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But those videos I posted were designed to demonstrate the topics he focuses on, not the passion with which he teaches them. I definitely stated that he was focusing on the value of science to society (video 1), the interconnectivity of life on earth with the rest of the universe (video 2), and the fact that he "feels bad" for a photon that he traps with his telescope. (!) (video 3). I stated these things.

Yeah.... I already stated my comment on those things too :tongue:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah.... I already stated my comment on those things too :tongue:

You ejaculated a comment: "Are you trying to prove that he is ridiculously ENxP? If so you are doing an excellent job." It is however a meaningless assertion lacking explanation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:greatscott:
Heh. He doesn't sound like an ENTP. He's too convenient!

Are you speaking in code here? Doc :greatscott: is an ENTP and probably an e7. Neil has the enthusiasm of a Doc but not the hyperactivity.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you speaking in code here? Doc :greatscott: is an ENTP and probably an e7.
Nah...didn't even know who :greatscott: was. :p
Neil has the enthusiasm of a Doc but not the hyperactivity.
That much I agree with. I see you typed him as an ENFJ. But he doesn't sound like a Ni user; his talk is fluid (informative) and concrete (sensor). That's why ESFJ makes more sense to me.
(No, you don't have to be an intuitive to become a great scientist.)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That much I agree with. I see you typed him as an ENFJ. But he doesn't sound like a Ni user; his talk is fluid (informative) and concrete (sensor). That's why ESFJ makes more sense to me.
(No, you don't have to be an intuitive to be a good scientist.)

The last wouldn't be my response. His speech can be more or less concrete, depending on the topic.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You ejaculated a comment: "Are you trying to prove that he is ridiculously ENxP? If so you are doing an excellent job." It is however a meaningless assertion lacking explanation.

Well, I thought it was quite clear, but if I must spell it out....

focusing on the value of science to society (video 1),

I only watched part of the video, but it seemed a bit like "catalyz[ing] people and extemporaneously shape situations" and "spread[ing] an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership." Guess which function description I found that from? Also, it almost seems like a kind of religious reformation, which has been classically associated with the extraverted intuitive type. And again I admit that that's a bit stereotypical....

the interconnectivity of life on earth with the rest of the universe (video 2)

I doubt that this is specifically about concrete or social connectivity, but about an intuitive "everything is generally connected in all these invisible ways" thing.

and the fact that he "feels bad" for a photon that he traps with his telescope. (!) (video 3)

Did he really feel bad for it? This totally just seems like he's playing with connections, and if anything, messing around with a feeling attitude towards things.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you speaking in code here? Doc :greatscott: is an ENTP and probably an e7. Neil has the enthusiasm of a Doc but not the hyperactivity.

He is decently hyperactive...... look at how much he moves even as he is sitting down most the time.

The last wouldn't be my response. His speech can be more or less concrete, depending on the topic.

I don't get where you two are getting that his speech is concrete at all. He is always getting off track and describing things in only their analogy to other things.

KDude

I don't get where you two are getting that his speech is concrete at all. He is always getting off track and describing things in only their analogy to other things.

I don't agree with that. He even considers his own field one of the simpler ones for the public to understand.

'The most accessible field in science, from the point of view of language, is astrophysics. What do you call spots on the sun? Sunspots. Regions of space you fall into and you don’t come out of? Black holes. Big red stars? Red giants. So I take my fellow scientists to task. He’ll use his word, and if I understand it, I’ll say, “Oh, does that mean da-da-da-de-da?”'

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't agree with that. He even considers his own field one of the simpler ones for the public to understand.

'The most accessible field in science, from the point of view of language, is astrophysics. What do you call spots on the sun? Sunspots. Regions of space you fall into and you don’t come out of? Black holes. Big red stars? Red giants. So I take my fellow scientists to task. He’ll use his word, and if I understand it, I’ll say, “Oh, does that mean da-da-da-de-da?”'

This is simplified.... but it's not really concrete. Still looks like playing with connections to me.... the connection between the language of astrophysics and this idea of its accessibility.

KDude

This is simplified.... but it's not really concrete. Still looks like playing with connections to me.... the connection between the language of astrophysics and this idea of its accessibility.

Now I'm not understanding what you mean by connections. It sounds like the simplest connections have an Ne qualifier for you. I think everyone makes basic connections and associations. It's almost impossible not to. When I hear some entp physicists or technologists speak though, it's on another level. One ENTP, Michio Kaku (who can be a great communicator himself), says if you got him in a room with his peers, most people wouldn't understand them. He considers himself a minority. And as far as I'm concerned, he's right.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now I'm not understanding what you mean by connections. It sounds like the simplest connections have an Ne qualifier for you. I think everyone makes basic connections and associations. It's almost impossible not to. When I hear some entp physicists or technologists speak though, it's on another level. One ENTP, Michio Kaku (who can be a great communicator himself), says if you got him in a room with his peers, most people wouldn't understand them. He considers himself a minority. And as far as I'm concerned, he's right.

Maybe I'll try to explain it clearer later on if I can, but it is difficult, if not impossible, to describe specifically why he seems Ne. It's just there. I'm not saying that other types can't make connections at all. It's something about his overall style in doing so....

I don't see much of a difference between the level that Tyson speaks on and the style of Kaku, or of Feynman. So Tyson could still have that sort of incomprehensibility thing going on too when he isn't in lecture mode. As you said, Michio Kaku is also a great communicator, very skilled at simplifying and popularizing these big concepts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I thought it was quite clear, but if I must spell it out....

I'm not a mind-reader. Well, not your mind, at least.

only watched part of the video, but it seemed a bit like "catalyz[ing] people and extemporaneously shape situations" and "spread[ing] an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership." Guess which function description I found that from?

I don't know, but according to Google it emerged from www.cognitiveprocesses.com/extravertedintuiting.html, where it says, "Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true." I did not see Neil using this form of cognition in any of the many videos I watched so far.

Also, it almost seems like a kind of religious reformation, which has been classically associated with the extraverted intuitive type. And again I admit that that's a bit stereotypical....

I don't know about any quasi-religious reformation, I simply hear him denouncing attempts by the religious far right to use faith to triumph over science. But, as an agnostic, he has nothing against religion per se as long as it co-exists with science as it has already done for years.

I doubt that this is specifically about concrete or social connectivity, but about an intuitive "everything is generally connected in all these invisible ways" thing.

Yes, in that particular video. And in most of those interviews he loves to pontificate on the interconnectedness of all things. He is so exuberant about this topic that at one point I even saw his fingers quivering with some powerful emotion or passion.

Watching him, I also suspect that he is all hopped up on caffeine because he is so animated in his expressions.

Did he really feel bad for it? This totally just seems like he's playing with connections, and if anything, messing around with a feeling attitude towards things.

Yep, he really felt bad for it. It didn't have anything to do with feeling connected to the universe. He just felt bad for interrupting it on its path considering how many billions of light-years it had to travel to reach that point.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Newface.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I'll try to explain it clearer later on if I can, but it is difficult, if not impossible, to describe specifically why he seems Ne. It's just there. I'm not saying that other types can't make connections at all. It's something about his overall style in doing so....

I don't see much of a difference between the level that Tyson speaks on and the style of Kaku, or of Feynman. So Tyson could still have that sort of incomprehensibility thing going on too when he isn't in lecture mode. As you said, Michio Kaku is also a great communicator, very skilled at simplifying and popularizing these big concepts.

That doesn't mean anything - e.g., Carl Sagan, a great populizer of astronomy and mentor to Neil Tyson.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That doesn't mean anything - e.g., Carl Sagan, a great populizer of astronomy and mentor to Neil Tyson.

KDude was sort of saying that Tyson and Kaku are on different 'levels', and I was saying don't think that's necessarily true...... not at all that because he's another popular scientist that he has to be ENTP (or maybe ENFP); indeed, Carl Sagan is not (his focus was really quite more grounded)