• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
KDude was sort of saying that Tyson and Kaku are on different 'levels', and I was saying don't think that's necessarily true...... not at all that because he's another popular scientist that he has to be ENTP (or maybe ENFP); indeed, Carl Sagan is not (his focus was really quite more grounded)

Carl Sagan was a pot addict who did prosey stuff with science. I'm seeing some of the same tendency in Neil (not with drugs, however), although it's more of the "Whoa!" variety. Sagan was more into the grandeur of the universe, and feeling small. He wanted his fans to feel small in comparison to the cosmos. Neil (otoh) wants us to impress on us his feeling connected to the universe. I'm seeing with him a philosophy of empathic union with the cosmos. (So in a sense he did indeed imply a connection with the photons he captures, although he didn't state as much.)

Although these are two different philosophies, they aren't all that different in that they both formulate a sublime, awe-inspiring relationship between man and the cosmos. In that sense, I don't see how they both can't be Ni in their approaches to science.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Kaku to make any observations.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
It's pretty obvious to me he's using a lot of Fe. I was thinking either ENFJ or ENTP. Now I'm pretty certain he's an ENFJ.

Grunfur

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah...didn't even know who :greatscott: was. :p

That much I agree with. I see you typed him as an ENFJ. But he doesn't sound like a Ni user; his talk is fluid (informative) and concrete (sensor). That's why ESFJ makes more sense to me.
(No, you don't have to be an intuitive to become a great scientist.)

His "talk" would denote he's closer to ENFJ then. ENFJs have Se, therefore when presenting themselves externally they are going to use S.

Grunfur

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At first I thought he was an ENTP, because I saw his approach seemed much more like what I had experienced from ENTPs. But after watching a couple of his interviews, I can disagree with what I had originally thought. He believes that science should be used for the purpose of fulfilling curiosity. This shows that his priority and ultimate goal in science is to understand the world, which we can reduce to a dominant judger. But along with his purpose, he also tries to make science have value. He always tries to make science affect him personally in order to truly make it matter. I think all of his values and feelings added make him closer to an F type. He generally has some sort of idea about how to approach science. ENFJ is what he seems to be most like.

Take a look at this arbitrary video I've chosen to examine the elements of ENFJ behind him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2xGIwQfik
He starts off by complimenting Dawkins with his speech. It takes him a while, but he begins to access Ni more, which is shown when he has his own idea of how Dawkins approach should be like. His ideal approach also involves "consideration of other people" from their standpoint and even if they don't understand something, he wants to be "sensitivity to their state of mind". This again, hints back to Fe.

Take his support for PETA as well, his explanation behind it is more for ethical reasons. All these interests, hobbies, support can have a wide variety of explanations, but what he chooses is very close to feelings. I could say that I support PETA for reasons concerning the environment, because of how when ecosystems are destroyed it destroys the food chain cycle, which is a more Ne-geared decision. But looking at enough of his reasoning for nearly any decision he makes, it is based off Fe. I could throw out more and more evidence for him being ENFJ, but I think there's already a big enough pattern.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Unequivocally ENTP. He just has intense Fe, and as a professional communicator/presenter of sorts, what you see mostly is NeFe (a lot of extraverting). He really knows how to work a crowd, but he is not ENFJ.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Watch this video above, where Tyson breaks down his argumentative style and communication process. You can see he has Ti/Fe in his stack when he talks about tailoring your message and framing of the argument precisely (Ti) depending on which audience one is talking to (Fe). I personally think his dynamic mannerisms and his communication style betray a fascination with the possibilities of the universe and for science, which is why I'm more inclined to see Ne-dom and, thus, ENTP. Albeit, an ENTP with well-developed Fe.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Everyone always seen him as ENFJ through the years, even as a scientist which I agree with. He's definitely on the more social and emotional and idealistic scientist out there over cold, hard logic type we're used. I mean he has a Sci Show podcast and talks like a Talk Show host to people to bop of people's emotions with his Fe. His Ni is clear to me with him future oriented and wanting to read between the lines all the time. What do most people think on him nowadays?