• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meryl Streep

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Quotes time!

"I don't go anywhere. You have to go to openings and be on E! entertainment, and I've never enjoyed doing that. I don't even go to openings of my friends' movies, even though it's supportive and lovely to do. It poses a problem marketing a movie, because they want you out and about. So it's always a tug, it's always a battle with the guilt making machine."---Streep in The Boston Globe, December 22, 1996.
This quote is one big reason why I am comfortable thinking that she is an I.

"When you're being watched unnaturally you feel it, if you're a sensitive person. Who knows what this delicate thing is that actors are making? So if that's diva behavior, sorry. I don't have handlers. I do have a longtime makeup man and hairdresser who performs the scourge role in my on-set life and keeps people away."---Streep on asking reporters to leave the set while she is working to Entertainment Weekly, October 7, 1994.
This seems very I also.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Touche. :D ... However, can we always be sure we have an objective view of ourselves? ;)
How right you are! Did you realize even our reflection in the mirror is not a reflection of what others see? It's backwards! It's impossible for us to see ourselves as we are. (Unless someone takes a picture and shows it to us.)

:huh: Did you actually read it? The quote is:
I didn't. Thank you. (And I didn't see the movie either.)

That's what I'm claiming is saliently out of character for an INTJ.
Because NTs don't feel obligated "listen to all the different sides"? You're saying that's a function of the empathetic F who subjectively makes decisions by putting themselves in other people's shoes? I wouldn't have seen it that way, but I think you're probably right.

On the surface, it sounded like a lament that she's not more J, but I didn't see the movie, so I don't know the character she was playing.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
How right you are! Did you realize even our reflection in the mirror is not a reflection of what others see? It's backwards! It's impossible for us to see ourselves as we are. (Unless someone takes a picture and shows it to us.)

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I fail to see how my argument warranted this sarcasm. If my evidence regarding my mother is irrelevant due to lack of objectivity on my part, surely yours regarding yourself can be discredited on the same grounds...?

Because NTs don't feel obligated "listen to all the different sides"?

No, I said the quote is out of character for INTJs specifically. Case in point: Can we imagine Ayn Rand saying it? :rolleyes:

On the surface, it sounded like a lament that she's not more J, but I didn't see the movie, so I don't know the character she was playing.

I originally interpreted the quote as evidence of P, but I am willing to accept that an INFJ could have said it.

ENTP, better? :)

No, I'm afraid you're going to have to actually present arguments. ;)

(Lack of personal recognition as an INFJ duly noted, but what's with the X in your profile? Are you unsure about your type?)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an exercise, how do you think she compares to Digest, for example? I do not see much similarity there in terms of presentation.
See, that was part of my inspiration for the comment. It surprised me how similar the two of them seem to me: the sharp wit, the exuberance, the emotional insight, the toughness, the valuing of objectivity. That's what i saw. But we each have a different perspective I suppose. And i realize comparing two people is not a solid base for a type. My main point is that ENTP seems worthy of full consideration. That's all.

Regarding the introvert/extrovert bit, what does she say about herself? How does she recharge when tired? That's what matters in deciding that point.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know. Some of this has already been covered above.

Sigh. No one is really doing anything wrong here, and I am in a "down" mood in general this weekend... but these "What type is so-and-so?" discussions leave me feeling like I am arguing with people about how to interpret a particular passage of the Bible. There are just too many points of perspective and ambiguity for the group to ever settle on a particular MBTI type for someone, so I think I am going to invest my time on writing other things.

(I think I am also realizing I am more of a "take it or leave it" person on some topics.)

Good luck, everyone!

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
No, I'm afraid you're going to have to actually present arguments. ;)

(Lack of personal recognition as an INFJ duly noted, but what's with the X in your profile? Are you unsure about your type?)

hehe , I think Toonia summed it up pretty well and I believe that we're correct. :) But as I also said, without spending quality time with Meryl Streep ( like we would ever have the chance) it is impossible to do anything other than speculate.

I'm an INFJ married to an INTJ and sometimes his type rubs off on me causing me to "feel" unsure of my type. ;)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Touche. :D ... However, can we always be sure we have an objective view of ourselves? ;)

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I fail to see how my argument warranted this sarcasm. If my evidence regarding my mother is irrelevant due to lack of objectivity on my part, surely yours regarding yourself can be discredited on the same grounds...?
I'm terribly sorry that you were offended by what I said. I had no intention of being sarcastic. You made an excellent point of us not being objective about ourselves, I agreed with you, and then I further agreed with you by sharing a revelation I have had about that truth.

I did not realize my comment could be construed as sarcastic. I was being entirely serious. Please accept my apology. I did not intend to offend you.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hehe , I think Toonia summed it up pretty well and I believe that we're correct. :) But as I also said, without spending quality time with Meryl Streep ( like we would ever have the chance) it is impossible to do anything other than speculate.

I'm an INFJ married to an INTJ and sometimes his type rubs off on me causing me to "feel" unsure of my type. ;)
Good heavens woman! :holy: I'd kinda like to hear more, but i'm guessing we'd have to take it to the 'mature' subforum. :blush:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm terribly sorry that you were offended by what I said. I had no intention of being sarcastic. You made an excellent point of us not being objective about ourselves, I agreed with you, and then I further agreed with you by sharing a revelation I have had about that truth.

I did not realize my comment could be construed as sarcastic. I was being entirely serious. Please accept my apology. I did not intend to offend you.

Oh, I wasn't offended, I just failed to realize you were in fact serious. Usually I have to work harder to stimulate such inspiration. My bad. :D

Thank you for clarifying. :)

But as I also said, without spending quality time with Meryl Streep ( like we would ever have the chance) it is impossible to do anything other than speculate.

I am well aware of the difficulties of typing celebrities, but it is a premise of these threads that the attempt is meaningful. I do not force those who disagree with that premise to participate, but I do ask that participants argue their typings. :)

I think Toonia summed it up pretty well

toonia and I have previously debated the E/I dimension and she and I importantly disagree regarding where to draw the line. I would describe her view of introversion as extreme. Regarding the E/I dimension and whether a celebrity who is comfortable in the spotlight can nevertheless be an introvert, I therefore tend to agree to disagree with her.

So, unless you agree with toonia's extreme view of introversion, in which case I will extend my agree-to-disagree policy to include you, I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own arguing. :D

For comparison with a confirmed female ENTP, see Rose McGowan. Of course, MS is 30 years older than RM, but I still don't see the resemblance. (INTP-ENTP, maybe, but not two ENTPs.)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'd kinda like to hear more, but i'm guessing we'd have to take it to the 'mature' subforum. :blush:

Most definitely :devil:

At least we were polite enough to post in your thread, unlike over at INTPc. :)

I love INTJ's, that is why I married one. :smile:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
toonia said:
Regarding the introvert/extrovert bit, what does she say about herself? How does she recharge when tired? That's what matters in deciding that point.

So, unless you agree with toonia's extreme view of introversion, in which case I will extend my agree-to-disagree policy to include you, I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own arguing. :D

Cool your jets, economica.

Those individuals i described in the post you referenced are all highly successful functioning professionals, some of whom make a lot of money and are at the top of their fields. Most of them were my University mentors. My point was that there are noticeable numbers of people with that level of introversion. When people start assuming that most every politician, rock star, Hollywood actor is introvert, it's worth stepping back and asking whether or not those fields would tend to attract significantly higher percentages of extroverts. Those fields simply do not permit much alone time to recharge. That my profession has been in performance gives me a small glimpse into the reality of this. They have the highest schmooze requirement, glitzy party attendance, being placed on display, addressing crowds, constantly being photographed, picked apart, fans approaching at every turn. Can you see that would not typically be a home for an introvert? If you don't think that is a reasonable question, then your view is pretty extreme.

We should probably take some time to examine and define what extroversion is, because so far introversion seems to cover it all.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Cool your jets, economica.

Those individuals i described are all highly successful functioning professionals, some of whom make a lot of money and are at the top of their fields professionally. Most of them were my University mentors. My point was that there are noticeable numbers of people with that level of introversion.

... I agree, but my point is that one doesn't have to exhibit that extreme level of introversion to qualify as an MBTI introvert.

When people start assuming that most every politician, rock star, Hollywood actors are introverts, it's worth stepping back and asking whether or not those fields would tend to attract significantly higher percentages of extroverts. If you don't think that is a reasonable question, then your view is pretty extreme.

I agree with you that those fields probably attract a disproportionate amount of extroverts. :yes: However, that is not an argument against a specific individual in one of said fields being an introvert... Unless you are claiming that the 'significantly higher percentage' is in fact 100%.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
... I agree, but my point is that one doesn't have to exhibit that extreme level of introversion to qualify as an MBTI introvert.
That was not ever my point either. It is important to examine the entire range of introversion through extroversion in order to have a sense of what the continuum is. How else is it possible to know where to place someone in a context?

.I agree with you that those fields probably attract a disproportionate amount of extroverts. :yes: However, that is not an argument against a specific individual in one of said fields being an introvert... Unless you are claiming that the 'significantly higher percentage' is in fact 100%.
And i actually don't draw any conclusions in any of these threads about determining type. I just find because of the disproportionate percentage of introverts on this board, there can easily be a tendency to project those percentages onto society's figureheads. My point is that for any public figure's type it is quite reasonable to give a full examination to the possibility of extroversion. Because of high profile, public context, if one position is to be initially assumed, extroversion makes more sense than introversion, although no assumption may be ideal. The exception are public figure's who exhibit a more extreme introversion like Robert DeNiro's, in which extroversion is reasonably dismissed even without knowing the person very well.

I don't want to bring up other threads and celebs, but I agree that Streep is more plausible as an introvert than some celebrities proposed on this forum by various people. I do know that self-assured women like Streep are not ever going to appear shy, but likewise they will feel zero pressure to hide their introversion. When they are around people and in the spotlight, it is because they choose to be.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
That was not ever my point either.

I understood that you believed the level of introversion exhibited by Robert De Niro and that list of equally extreme introverts you provided to be representative - even a requisite - of introversion, but if you share my view that they are in fact extreme, then I am glad to hear that. :)

It is important to examine the entire range of introversion through extroversion in order to have a sense of what the continuum is. How else is it possible to know where to place someone in a context?

What makes you say the entire range of introversion through extroversion isn't being examined? Personally, I do not presume someone is an introvert (or an extrovert), instead I form an opinion as I empty YouTube for interviews and compare with the people I've typed in real life. And I know introverts who could do talk shows like the ones we've had in dispute, whereas you said MS seems very extroverted to you in interviews, which is what made me refer to what I thought was a discrepancy in our takes on introversion.

Anyway, IMO this typing awaits someone who knows ENTP and/or INTP women IRL.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, I wasn't offended, I just failed to realize you were in fact serious. Usually I have to work harder to stimulate such inspiration. My bad. :D
Very funny. :D I'm afraid you can't take the credit for that inspiration.
I had it a long time ago. I just thought that you, being an INTJ, would be interested in it.

toonia and I have previously debated the E/I dimension and she and I importantly disagree regarding where to draw the line. I would describe her view of introversion as extreme. Regarding the E/I dimension and whether a celebrity who is comfortable in the spotlight can nevertheless be an introvert, I therefore tend to agree to disagree with her.

I agree with toonia's assessment that performers need time alone to recoup.

In Meryl Streep's case, she goes home every night because she has a strict pact with her family not to go away on location.

I believe there are plenty of celebrities who are I types, and they limit their work based on how much stimulation they can stand.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Very funny. :D I'm afraid you can't take the credit for that inspiration.
I had it a long time ago. I just thought that you, being an INTJ, would be interested in it.

I was actually referring to the tone of your post... Oh, never mind. :)

---

I just talked to my friend Blackwater who knows a female ENTP in her mid-thirties and he says he does not recognize her in Meryl Streep.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...They have the highest schmooze requirement, glitzy party attendance, being placed on display, addressing crowds, constantly being photographed, picked apart, fans approaching at every turn...
I agree, and I believe Meryl Streep said that is the part of show business that she dislikes. If she was an E, she would like it.

bolds mine

Quotes time!

"Every time I think it's a silly way to spend my life, I see a performance by another actor and think, 'I couldn't live if I didn't have this in my life.' I really think that. Or a piece of music. We need art. We really need art. Maybe we need to feel we count, like our existence matters. Acting can do that; it can make you feel more alive and proud to be a human being. Even seeing the worst of humanity."---Streep on why people need to act to USA Weekend, December 1, 2002.
This kind of motivation can easily overcome the dislike of the other parts of show business.

"I don't go anywhere. You have to go to openings and be on E! entertainment, and I've never enjoyed doing that. I don't even go to openings of my friends' movies, even though it's supportive and lovely to do. It poses a problem marketing a movie, because they want you out and about. So it's always a tug, it's always a battle with the guilt making machine."---Streep in The Boston Globe, December 22, 1996.
This quote proves to me that she is an I who sometimes has to make concessions and do E types of things, but she doesn't enjoy them.

"I've made career judgments on the basis of making [my family] happy. Like not taking location things, and if it is on location, writing it in the contract that, I'm going to be home at a certain time and work so many days. And then I'm out of there!
This is where Streep eeks her alone time out of her schedule. She's very strict about it apparently.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree, and I believe Meryl Streep said that is the part of show business that she dislikes. If she was an E, she would like it.

As I think is clear :) I agree that MS is an introvert but I have to take issue with the bolded part. Extroverts are not all indiscriminate attention addicts. Just sayin'.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
As I think is clear :) I agree that MS is an introvert but I have to take issue with the bolded part. Extroverts are not all indiscriminate attention addicts. Just sayin'.
Ok.

Would you explain in more detail?