• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is David Lee Roth?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[youtube=0ei1deThVhE]Diamond David Lee Roth 1984 Interview[/youtube]
[youtube=wlq0lYB3iSM]Van Halen - Jump (HQ music video)[/youtube]
[youtube=ffxkY3fd5BY]David Lee Roth Good Morning America Interview 1985[/youtube]
[youtube=G3JKjkaeLq0]David Lee Roth interview (2002)[/youtube]

My opinion: quintessential ESTP. 7w8 Sx/So.

Note: he made me think about Halla :biggrin:.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a huge wigout Ted Templeman zombie, I agree with you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was my immediate reaction. Not sure about the enneagram. Sounds logical though.

Performer = Type Three.

"Everyone needs attention, encouragement, and the affirmation of their value in order to thrive, and Threes are the type which most exemplifies this universal human need. Threes want success not so much for the things that success will buy (like Sevens), or for the power and feeling of independence that it will bring (like Eights). They want success because they are afraid of disappearing into a chasm of emptiness and worthlessness: without the increased attention and feeling of accomplishment which success usually brings, Threes fear that they are nobody and have no value."

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed, I've always thought he's the quintessential ESTP, and specifically that [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] seems like a wise, David-Lee-Roth-like sage. ;)

Enneagram, I'd probably also go for 7w8 sx/so.

He's a total nutcase, but unique and entertaining. My brother is a massive VH fan so I've been, er, studying him for years ;)

KDude

Quintessential? I always thought he was more ESFP. No wonder why you laughed when I made some ESTP typings once. You had a picture of David Lee Roth in your head. ;)

I think ESTPs come off more mentally tough, a little colder, more detached swagger (yeah, this isn't detailed.. maybe I'll write more later).. They still share Se dominance and wouldn't be that different, but that said.. Quintessential to me would be Madonna, Mae West, Vince Vaughn, Donald Trump, even Rossane Barr. Maybe football player Ray Lewis.

I think he's more personable and playful like other esfps.. Elvis, Tom Jones, Steve Erwin

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Definitely ESFP, E-7 or E-3 (still not exactly decided between those two) , I cannot see ESTP in him at all, he's too friendly and engaged

however he just seems to be an extremely Se subtype so the T or F won't be too obvious either

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
want success not so much for the things that success will buy (like Sevens),

"I have been rich and I have been poor (HUHUHUHUHU) rich is better because it bring more WOMEN! (HUHUHUHUU)"

This guy is a 7, dude.

7s and 3s are look a like, they like competition and to bright in the sight of others. But unlike 3s, 7s are unlike ly or have a hard time to work more than they want ot to put work before pleasure. They are driven by optimism more than the need to get quick success. He has be poor for a long time and Van Halen was relatively unpopular for a long time, but he did'nt mind because he was confident about his bright destiny. That's David Lee Roth, David Lee Roth is a 7.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed, I've always thought he's the quintessential ESTP, and specifically that [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] seems like a wise, David-Lee-Roth-like sage. ;)

He's a total nutcase, but unique and entertaining. My brother is a massive VH fan so I've been, er, studying him for years ;)

Yes. Theses videos brought me the same impression than Halla's posts. You know, like if we were assertively surfing a 50 feets wave or seomething. :wink:

I love in the first video when he say "HUUMMH, WOMEN!", that makes me crazy. :happy2:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quintessential? I always thought he was more ESFP. No wonder why you laughed when I made some ESTP typings once.

I don't remember that. When?

You had a picture of David Lee Roth in your head. ;)

More or less, yes. :biggrin: and Billy Idol too.

I think ESTPs come off more mentally tough, a little colder, more detached swagger (yeah, this isn't detailed.. maybe I'll write more later).. They still share Se dominance and wouldn't be that different, but that said.. Quintessential to me would be Madonna, Mae West, Vince Vaughn, Donald Trump, even Rossane Barr. Maybe football player Ray Lewis.

I think he's more personable and playful like other esfps.. Elvis, Tom Jones, Steve Erwin

ESTPs are very often playful and very friendly. That's why Halla is sometimes suspected to be ESFP. But DLR is not into value judgment to make decision (F), and when he talk about love and marriage, it's relatively impersonal. There's a big difference with Tom Jones or ELvis Presley who are true ESFPs, theses guys are truly sensitive and lead from the heart. DLR is enthusiastic but more neutral about the ethical and sentimental part of things.

Others true ESFPs would be Ozzy Osbourne or Ricky Martin I think. I also thought for the past that Mick Jagger was an ESTP, but now I think he is either ESFP or evein ISFP. But David Lee Roth is ESTP, he "got an opinion on everything", but theses opinions are not really based on emotionals reactions and value judgments.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My opinion: quintessential ESTP. 7w8 Sx/So.

I can't help but second this motion.
David Lee Roth is indeed a wild man, yet has alot going on behind the madness.
I enjoyed how he was able to very candidly respond to any question at any time in a truthful yet not overly egocentric manner.
His propensity to not take himself OR his band's success too seriously is also very ESTP-ish.
We get things done, we do it in style, and we have fun doing it, but we don't lose sight of our place in the mix of it all; we might be the catalyst of the reaction, but there would be no reaction without all the other reagents.

Note: he made me think about Halla :biggrin:.

LOLZ! Thanks, Bro! :rock:
Maybe that's why I'm so out of place in my career as a consultant, I'm trying to turn corporate offices into rock concerts. :happy:
I've played guitar since age 10, and sang since 8th grade.
Every year I looked forward to finding a few other musically inclined hooligans to wreak terror at the school talent show.
Then later in life switched over to DJ-ing when there was no more time for a band.
I totally relate to David Lee's comment of "I get paid to sell smiles. Here! Take one for free, it looks great on you! Have another for breakfast!"
To see a crowd of people dancing and smiling and enjoying the hell out of a batch of new tunes being dished out to them is perhaps some of the greatest fun I've ever experienced.
I never get tired of it, and every once in a while get into the spirit of doing it again, just for the grins, just for the smiles, it's great stuff.

Performer = Type Three.

"Everyone needs attention, encouragement, and the affirmation of their value in order to thrive, and Threes are the type which most exemplifies this universal human need. Threes want success not so much for the things that success will buy (like Sevens), or for the power and feeling of independence that it will bring (like Eights). They want success because they are afraid of disappearing into a chasm of emptiness and worthlessness: without the increased attention and feeling of accomplishment which success usually brings, Threes fear that they are nobody and have no value."

OK, the blue bolded sentence above definitively concludes that I am not an Enneagram 3.
I've never had feelings of "I'm a nobody and I have no value."
Simply not my programming.
I've had an internal locus of control and an overabundance of self-esteem/self-worth for as long as I can remember.

I'm totally fine with being thought of as a wise and wild man. :hifive:
Thanks so much, my friend. :hug:

Although I'm no Enneagram expert, I think 7w8 sx/so fits him pretty damn well.
I watched the Iggy Pop interview(s) as examples of 7w8 and both have that outward seeking vibe to them, but Iggy was a bit more intense than David Lee, and maybe that's because David Lee is an ESTP? :thinking:
I can be very intense, but prefer to be really laid back.
David Lee's attitude toward life seems to me what a 7w8 would feel like on any normal, good day.
Iggy Pop comes across as a 7w8 who somehow just got pissed off with someone and is taking care of it.
I'm most definitely a joker, and approach everything I do with a fun yet serious attitude.
So, maybe I've got a streak of David Lee's and Iggy's implementation of 7w8 in me, because despite being a fun-loving soul, I am quite awful when pissed. :shock:

He's definitely a nutcase, and entertaining as hell to watch.
Totally agreed.
Does your brother play guitar, or a different instrument?
Just curious.

Quintessential? I always thought he was more ESFP. No wonder why you laughed when I made some ESTP typings once. You had a picture of David Lee Roth in your head. ;)

It seems to me like there's a huge bias toward ESFPs always being "Performers" (which is their type's nickname in many texts), and that if someone is a performer then they are not likely an ESTP.
Two of my best friends are ESFPs.

They and I are remarkably alike, but there are also definitive differences.

All of us though are wild, performing S.O.B.s.

Again, it's damn hard to tell from the people I know in real life that are ESFPs.
I can say this however, I'd rather deal with a pissed off ESTP than a pissed off ESFP.
Why?
You can reason with the ESTP, they keep their pressure cooker in check (Ti) up until the very moment they wallop you or read you the riot act.
Once an ESFP gets pissed beyond a certain threshold, the horse is out of the gate, and there is going to be a dose of WhoopAss that gets dished out just for the principle of things.
"Colder" and "Detached" as in "T" vs. "F" - yeah, I can see that, but once things get all mixed up, often it is the "T" who comes across as the more cool-tempered personality.
All of this is from my personal observations of course.

Again, ESTPs are personable and playful too.
Not the easiest two types to separate ala observable phenomena.
My two ESFP compadres have both been good friends of mine for over 20 years.
They have things in common with each other and not with me.
And then again, we all share several other commonalities.
When all are in the same room though, it's a fucking circus, that is certain. :newwink: