• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous SPs and SJs from 1800-1900

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Hi people :)

I'm making a project on the era mentioned above.
Its easy to mention the intuitives from that era. But what about some sensers?
Can you help me out? Please mention some famous ones :)

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
You want us to name people who aren't intuitives? Isn't that like three-quarters of the population?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Andrew Jackson

Benjamin Harrison

J.D. Rockefeller

Louisa May Alcott

Robert E. Lee

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

William Wordsworth

Ulysses S. Grant

Auguste Rodin

Vincent Van Gogh

Beethoven (?)

Lord Byron

Queen Victoria

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
thank you Marmie Dearest

what types do you think those persons are and how certain are you in % ? :)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sir Richard Francis Burton, ES?P.

KDude

Billy the Kid.. ESTP

edit: lol.. I don't know that. Just going by the movies. Although he does have an ESTP-like smirk in his portrait. ;)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to hazard a guess that Arthur Conan Doyle was ISTP or ESTP. Feel free to disagree. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Andrew Jackson - ESTJ

Benjamin Harrison - ESTJ

J.D. Rockefeller - ESTJ

Louisa May Alcott - ISFJ

Robert E. Lee - SJ

Alfred, Lord Tennyson - ISFJ or ISFP

William Wordsworth - ISFJ

Ulysses S. Grant - SJ

Auguste Rodin - ISFP

Vincent Van Gogh - ISFP

Beethoven (?) - probably SP, the only I'm not sure of

Lord Byron - SP

Queen Victoria - ISTJ

Here [MENTION=310]Blackwater[/MENTION]. Added types.

I agree that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was probably an ISTP or ISTJ, too, [MENTION=7063]SilkRoad[/MENTION].

Probably a lot more people in the creative field that were sensors, as well. I just don't know them all.

I seem to know a bunch from the early 20th century, though.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I'm thinking Doyle was xSTx :D Different types around that seem possible. He could be SJ, he seemed hyper-responsible and very much the devoted servant of the British Empire, but the love of adventure and the fascination with spiritualism maybe seem more P.

I'm not so sure about Wordsworth - I might have thought INFP or INFJ. I'd guess Samuel Taylor Coleridge was N (INFP or ENFP?)

I have to admit, I tend to think poets are more likely to be N and visual artists are more likely to be S. It's the way of looking at the world. But obviously there are many exceptions.

I also think that adventure story writers such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Rider Haggard are likely S - ISTP seems to fit. But then, I don't know a lot about their lives and personalities.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I'm thinking Doyle was xSTx :D Different types around that seem possible. He could be SJ, he seemed hyper-responsible and very much the devoted servant of the British Empire, but the love of adventure and the fascination with spiritualism maybe seem more P.

I'm not so sure about Wordsworth - I might have thought INFP or INFJ. I'd guess Samuel Taylor Coleridge was N (INFP or ENFP?)

I have to admit, I tend to think poets are more likely to be N and visual artists are more likely to be S. It's the way of looking at the world. But obviously there are many exceptions.

I also think that adventure story writers such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Rider Haggard are likely S - ISTP seems to fit. But then, I don't know a lot about their lives and personalities.

I strongly disagree that writers or poets are more likely N and visual artists are more like S. It depends on things like subject matter, motive, and things of that nature.

Wordsworth emphasis on simple naturalism and "the language of the common man" might even be called ISFP by some, if they were to stereotype him by Keirsey. He was about as bucolic and as worshipful of the pastoral as it gets.

However, I think people tend to say he's ISFJ based upon the structure and narrative of his poems, as well as the nature of his personal life/self, me thinks.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I strongly disagree that writers or poets are more likely N and visual artists are more like S. It depends on things like subject matter, motive, and things of that nature.

I think writers in general are just as likely to be S as N (and I am sure that my favourites include plenty of both), but poetry seems a more N form of expression to me.

However, I think that might be partly to do with the type of poetry I'm drawn to (and write). I suspect that in the case of poetry (not necessarily other types of writing) the vast majority of my favourites are iNtuitives, and I'm more likely to bypass the more Sensor-ish poets. (Paul Celan, while a 20th century poet, comes to mind - if he's a Sensor, I'm an ESFP! ;) )

I never liked Wordsworth much, maybe that's why, haha :D Although I like him more now than I did when younger. His Westminster Bridge poem has become a favourite, though it's a break from his usual pastoral thing. I agree he seems like he could be ISFP or ISFJ.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think writers in general are just as likely to be S as N (and I am sure that my favourites include plenty of both), but poetry seems a more N form of expression to me.

There is a lot of the poetry that seems to have an Ni-style to it, but yes, that is only a portion of all that is poetry out there. And also, someone who writes such a poem isn't always an intuitive by type. This is probably especially common with ISxPs.

I also suspect that there are a lot more sensing writers than some might suspect, and/or a lot of intuitives who have trained themselves really, really well to pay attention to all of those details ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

However, I think that might be partly to do with the type of poetry I'm drawn to (and write). I suspect that in the case of poetry (not necessarily other types of writing) the vast majority of my favourites are iNtuitives, and I'm more likely to bypass the more Sensor-ish poets. (Paul Celan, while a 20th century poet, comes to mind - if he's a Sensor, I'm an ESFP! ;) )

I never liked Wordsworth much, maybe that's why, haha :D Although I like him more now than I did when younger. His Westminster Bridge poem has become a favourite, though it's a break from his usual pastoral thing. I agree he seems like he could be ISFP or ISFJ.

Oh...I love Wordsworth. I wrote more than one paper on his poetry in college. Edgar Allan Poe is another favorite. Pretty sure he was N, though. I say this because of the blah-ze-de-blah-blah of his non-fiction essays, which I can't stand...seems INTP-ish to me, too academic, pretentious even. But I love Poe's fiction and poetry.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ernest Hemmingway: ESTP 8w7 Sx/So (he was born in 1899 though, so that hardly counts)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ernest Hemmingway: ESTP 8w7 Sx/So (he was born in 1899 though, so that hardly counts)

Hemingway, Miller, and both of the Fitzgeralds were all SPs, but they were also not considered 19th century writers since they were all either babies or in utero.

Agatha Christie also early 20th century writer = ISFJ.