• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Presidential Hopefuls' Types

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
it seems like an appeal to Si american values: the woman is good at certain things, the man at others.

I see your point that it could be a joke but seeing as how I could see a slightly more practical version of me saying something like that to my SO, I'm inclined to believe it's the truth. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Again, I think this is indicative of P.

It could be.

Then again, it's a style of writing; and he's also a man, and you are now encroaching upon traditional roles of men and women in the culture.

(More about writing styles: I know I sound much more assertive when I write. That's the Ji influence coming out. But I'm actually a P. Other times, if I am being playful or quirky, I can phrase things in Pe ways. Writing can be as tricky to read as dialog.)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say Obama is an ENTP. Politicians have a lot of learned behavior, so in order to type them you should look at the ways that they stand out.

The first and most obvious way that Obama stands out is his ability to inspire people with his oration. That is a clear ENxP trait. ENxP's inspire and ENxJ's dictate. An ENxJ would be more specific in spelling out the details than an ENxP. And if you listen to his critics, they basically say that he gives inspirational speeches that don't have much substance. That is how an ENxP gives speeches. They are there to inspire, not to lay out a specific plan.

A second way that I have seen him stand out is that he will often go against the conventional wisdom even in small matters. Early on when he'd give his opinion on some issue the press would jump all over him saying he'd made a gaffe and is inexperienced. Then after a little research they'd find out he was actually right and have to retract what they said. This type of thing describes an ENTP better than any type. ENTP's intentionally (and obviously) will go against the grain to show that their way is better than conventional wisdom. All N's do this to some extent, but ENTP's are the most obvious about it.

Also in debate footage that I've seen with him, Hillary, and Edwards he seems to be able to easily come up with jokes off the cuff. That is something you see in an ExxP more than other types. Overall I'd say he's ENTP.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd say Obama is an ENTP. Politicians have a lot of learned behavior, so in order to type them you should look at the ways that they stand out.

The first and most obvious way that Obama stands out is his ability to inspire people with his oration. That is a clear ENxP trait. ENxP's inspire and ENxJ's dictate. An ENxJ would be more specific in spelling out the details than an ENxP. And if you listen to his critics, they basically say that he gives inspirational speeches that don't have much substance. That is how an ENxP gives speeches. They are there to inspire, not to lay out a specific plan.

A second way that I have seen him stand out is that he will often go against the conventional wisdom even in small matters. Early on when he'd give his opinion on some issue the press would jump all over him saying he'd made a gaffe and is inexperienced. Then after a little research they'd find out he was actually right and have to retract what they said. This type of thing describes an ENTP better than any type. ENTP's intentionally (and obviously) will go against the grain to show that their way is better than conventional wisdom. All N's do this to some extent, but ENTP's are the most obvious about it.

Also in debate footage that I've seen with him, Hillary, and Edwards he seems to be able to easily come up with jokes off the cuff. That is something you see in an ExxP more than other types. Overall I'd say he's ENTP.

Now this I can agree with since it factors in the coaching.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I noticed that typelogic.com posted the 2008 Candidates and their types and I couple of interesting questions came to mind.

(I couldn't find any enneagram sites that looked like their opinions held any kind of water. If anyone wants to enneagram type them go ahead. :))

1) First of all, if for some reason you were to pick a president based on their MBTI type, which type would you consider most ideal for the position?

2) Do these seem to fit the candidates correctly?

clinton.jpg

Hillary Clinton - INTJ

obama.jpg

Barack Obama - ENFJ

paul.jpg

Ron Paul - INFJ

mccain.jpg

John McCain - INTP

huckabee.jpg

Mike Huckabee - INTJ

(what follows is me insulting typelogic, not you)
Hmm. typelogic makes pretty dumb type guesses.
First I notice the site types all of them as intuition types. That's pretty Bizarre.
Here's my guesses: Clinton: ENTJ
Obama: too much of a campaign persona to tell. I'm pretty sure that he's NOT a catylist though.
McCain: I have no idea.
Huckabee: Definately NOT an intuition type.
Gravel: ESFP
Kucinich: _NFP
Mitt Romney: ISTP
Edwards: SFJ?

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
(what follows is me insulting typelogic, not you)
Hmm. typelogic makes pretty dumb type guesses.
First I notice the site types all of them as intuition types. That's pretty Bizarre.
Here's my guesses: Clinton: ENTJ
Obama: too much of a campaign persona to tell. I'm pretty sure that he's NOT a catylist though.
McCain: I have no idea.
Huckabee: Definately NOT an intuition type.
Gravel: ESFP
Kucinich: _NFP
Mitt Romney: ISTP
Edwards: SFJ?

I'm going to say Mike Huckabee is ESFJ. I had a sister just like him.
McCain? Classic ESTP in the mold of Lyndon Johnson et. al.
Hillary: ENTJ. Definitely.

Obama - quite possibly some sort of NT. He's as hard to call as Al Gore was.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I couldn't find any enneagram sites that looked like their opinions held any kind of water. If anyone wants to enneagram type them go ahead. :))
There is a a thread on this topic at the Enneagram Institute, if it has not already been mentioned.
Hillary Clinton - INTJ
Barack Obama - ENFJ
Ron Paul - INFJ
John McCain - INTP
Mike Huckabee - INTJ
I tried to respond early yesterday, so forgive me if my thoughts have been conveyed. Hillary Clinton could be INTJ, but mostly I think she fits the "Chart the Course" interaction style. Keep in mind these people can't really be read no more than reading someone from a forum, since you never know if you are seeing a personna. In particulary, they're politicians on political campaigns, so most likely you are not seeing the true person. Back to Hillary Clinton, again I can't deny your thoughts however she seems to be grounded in the past and focused on doing the right thing, which gives me belief that she could be ISTJ. Again since this could just be her attempt to separate herself from Barack Obama since he has taken up the true "change" agent platform this election term, Hillary Clinton could be INFJ. Whatever her type, I think it resonates with the Chart the Course interaction style.

I am reminded of what Barack Obama said when asked about his weaknesses. He responded that he has given a mandate to his staff not to ever give him anything until the last minute or he will surely lose it. He definitely has the flair of a "Get Things Going" interaction style. Clearly his language is not that of a sensing type (appearing more ethereal therefore intuitive), so I would say ENP, most likely ENFP.

Not sure on Ron Paul.

I hate to say it, because he scares me in not having a clue to the economy and wanting to stay in the War, but John McCain doesn't appear INTP at all. Based on his military background and love for piloting, you can't rule out ISTP. However again his love for community and country sounds SJ-ish although it may be a political ploy to get elected. I am still fuzzy on his interaction style, but it does seem behind the scenes, which could mean that he could be INTP, ISFP or ISFJ. I would rule out INFP knowing more about him, but most likely he is not a thinking type at all.

Mike Huckabee in my opinion has a true "In Charge" interaction style to me, and with his strong community commitment he seems SJ. I would not doubt that he is ESTJ, however would not rule out ESTP.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Again, I have not been able to really look at the posts, but I found this article. It confirms that at least this person believes Clinton to be SJ, Obama NF and McCain SP (ESTP).

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Yeah, I think a link to that article was posted somewhere in the Bonfire...

But one of the things she mentions:

Obama himself referred in a debate to his disorganization and dislike of paperwork—and his self-knowledge that "I need to have good people in place who can make sure that systems run."

I really recognise that sentiment - I wish I had my own people in place to make sure my life ran properly! And who would mention that unless it really was an issue for them - I don't know ENFJs very well but I have my doubts a J would say something like that?

I'm not completely convinced he's an ENFP, though. I would say ENTP but he does seem very people-based... concerned with the beliefs and wants of the people, which strikes me more as an F sort of thing.

In The Audacity of Hope he mentions that:

And everywhere I went, I'd get some version of the same two questions:
"Where'd you get that funny name?"
And then: "You seem like a nice enough guy. Why do you want to go into something dirty and nasty like politics?"

Would an ENTP necessarily in so short a time come off as a 'nice guy'? Clever, witty, bright, sure, but nice? Maybe.

I'm just not sure... ENxP! :p

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
I also think Obama is an ENTP (with an outside chance of ENFP). Definitely P though. His appeals to emotion don't have the dramatic flourish that I imagine a good ENFP orator to use. I saw him interviewed saying how disorganized he is and how lacks attention to detail, that would hurt him without his more diligent staff members. Also he seems to have more a P attitude of laid back-ness and body movement.

I would say Hillary is an ENTJ. She's very machievellian and is known for aggressive handling and grudge holding when people piss her off. It's one of the reasons there is such a galvanized Republican (actual politicians) hate towards her. She really is more in the LBJ mold of getting things done (very J like). But sometimes ambition and stubbornness cloud her judgement. She has a habit of not adjusting to the flow of debate as well - a certain stiffness that seems J to me (which seemed evident to me in their debate the other night).

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
In the days since Barack Obama first suggested that his ?greatest weakness? is being disorganized, Hillary Rodham Clinton has hammered him on it, repeatedly highlighting her own organizational and managerial skills in an effort to raise doubts about whether Obama pays enough attention to detail to be successful as president.

The way Clinton?s camp sees it, the distinction is not just who?s better at paper-shuffling and returning e-mails and phone calls.

Rather, they believe Obama?s recent remarks to the Reno Gazette-Journal and in a Jan. 15 debate can be used to make the case that he lacks the ability to hold government accountable.

It?s a story line that dovetails nicely with party criticisms of the Bush administration?s management of Iraq contracts and its response to Hurricane Katrina.

Obama first broached the issue in a Jan. 14 interview with the Gazette-Journal editorial board, where he was quoted as saying, ?I?m not an operating officer. Some in this debate around experience seem to think the job of the president is to go in and run some bureaucracy. Well, that?s not my job. My job is to set a vision of ?Here?s where the bureaucracy needs to go.??

The next day, NBC?s Brian Williams, serving as a moderator of a debate in Las Vegas, read part of the quote to Obama, then asked, ?Do the American people want someone in the Oval Office who is an operating officer??

Obama responded that ?being president is not making sure that schedules are being run properly or the paperwork is being shuffled effectively. It involves having a vision for where the country needs to go.?

Later in the debate, when asked about his greatest strength and weakness, he elaborated: ?I ask my staff never to hand me paper until two seconds before I need it, because I will lose it.?

The comment prompted laughter, and he continued: ?My desk and my office doesn't look good. I've got to have somebody around me who is keeping track of that stuff. And that's not trivial; I need to have good people in place who can make sure that systems run. That's what I've always done, and that's why we run not only a good campaign but a good U.S. Senate office.?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Obama an INTJ? What? :huh: When I think of charisma that is probably the last type on my list.

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
Obama an INTJ? What? :huh: When I think of charisma that is probably the last type on my list.

I've always seen him as an ENFJ myself.

Hillary seems more INTJ or possibly ISTJ.

edit: I hate Hillary. It's hard for me to type her as INTJ...:cry:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
C'mon, people.

Obama: EXTP (probably N)
McCain: ESTP
Clinton: EXTJ (probably S)
Huckabee: ESXJ (can't call it)
Romney: ESTJ
Paul: INTX (probably P)

Others are way too hard to call for me.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It almost seems like at times that TypeLogic is picking types out of a hat for some of these people. I agree with some of their typings though.

Hillary- INTJ
Obama-ENFP (maybe INFP?)
McCain-ESTP
Huckabee- ESFJ
Ron Paul- INFJ

As for the guys who dropped out...
Giuliani: ESTJ
Edwards-ESFP
Romney- ENTJ
Richardson- ESFJ
Thompson- ISFJ

:party2: when Obama wins!!!

pure_mercury: An ESFJ libertarian isn't weird at all if that libertarian thinks the government is doing a disservice to the American people and less will always be better.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have thought about Hillary being an Extrovert, but I think she is simply an Introvert with high self esteem, which seems to classify INTJ's as a whole (at least the ones I've met).