• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Luna Lovegood, the poll version.

Which type is Luna Lovegood

• ESTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESFJ

• ISFJ

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESFP

• ISTP

• ISFP

• ENTJ

• INTJ

• ENFJ

• INFJ

• INFP

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • ENFP

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • INTP

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • INTJ

• Total voters

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
This was a point of division on the characters thread. I found the debate amusing and think we should reignite it.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Some sort of FP. I read in the 'where are they now' JK Rowling said Luna Lovegood gets married and is basically a sociologist or naturalist or something. I haven't read enough of her books but think Miss Lovegood is most certainly a dreamy, humanitarian, hippie.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
This thread was inspired by the following comment:

Luna: INTP for sure. She shows complete apathy towards criticism and is always detached emotionally, even when she was in a cell in DH, she didn't show a hint of fear or distress. She is able to think the same in a dangerous situation as she would when being on a picnic. In OOTP she remained calm, so detached from everything... She reminded me of Dumbledore in crisis situations. Plus, she is bluntly honest, uncaring about other's feelings when she delivers what she think is the truth. She disliked Hagrid as a teacher because she finded him incompetent(INTP loath incompetence!) even though she probably had nothing against him as a person. It is clear she has INTP values, such as intelligence, truth... She thinks abstracally even though sometimes there's a fine line between her madness and genius...Yes, untypically of an INTPm she dosen't care for facts, but then who on earth fits any type 100%? She just puts more faith in her jugdgment than in evidence. And even though it may fail to show, Luna has quite a good logic,even if it's an eccentric one. (Resolved the egnima of the Ravenclaw portrait entrance quite easily while many like Hermione would have remained stuck. Plus she uses her head more than it appears, she was able to know that "Barny" was Harry, just by recognizing the same pattern in probably his manners, expressions,etc that would be unoticable for most people). And, it's quite common for INTP to be absent-minded, eccentric. It's beyond me why anyone would think of her as an INFP.

Which was met by agreement by several members.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem is, I don't see T.

INTPs can be eccentric, but when we talk, we're usually discussing ideas in a blow-by-blow rational way.

The disjointed nature of Luna's comments seems far more F, with a lot of N absorption. She's simply make aesthetic observations -- like a girl twirling and dancing through a meadow of bright flowers, occasionally stopping to pick one and show it off -- and doesn't really care about a coherent description that explans anything at all. She's concerned about how things impact her own personal sensibilities. Which is self-absorbed F, not T. (You can see T far better in a girl like Hermione, in how she talks.)

Luna might say things without considering the emotional impact; but that's not because she's being T, it's because she's lost in her own inner beautiful fantasy world.

In OOTP she remained calm, so detached from everything... She reminded me of Dumbledore in crisis situations.

What? I don't see them as anything alike. Both are detached characters, but Dumbledore is actually fully engaged and just wears obliviousness as a costume (he's actually paying attention to everything, as we continually find out)... it's part of his strategy to remain low-key and thus catch plotters off-guard ... he's actively thinking -- where Luna's actually not really engaged at all, she really IS unaware of a great deal, she's more experiencing perceptions and organizing them by inner priorities.

A lot of what is being credited to Luna as a positive is actually just pattern-matching skills of a large N. When an introvert in absorbed in N, this is what they look like.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Disclaimer: Jennifer has only seen the films and has not read the books. :alttongue:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer: Jennifer has only seen the films and has not read the books. :alttongue:

I know. It's a first, isn't it? :)

I wanted to read them first; but in typical P goofmode, I didn't plan well and had to gorge on the movies instead in time to see the last one in the theater. I did read 1.5 of them.

So I'm describing the movie Luna. The book Luna could be different.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to way in here. Luna Lovegood is actually pretty similar to mwah in personality. Especially when I was about her age. She seems to come across slightly differently in the books. There's lots of Fi fueled behavior tempered by reasoning. Examples Are the a painted pictures of everyone in her bed room.....when Harry sees those griffin things(she presented it as factual information, but it was meant as comfort.). There are more examples, those are just a couple off the top of my head. If she's right on the T/F boarder, it's hard to tell, and if like me she's ennegram 5.....she would present as she does, as intellectually skewed.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As the anti-Jennifer, I read the books (and saw the movies). Luna struck me as an INFP in the books and the movies alike.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot of what is being credited to Luna as a positive is actually just pattern-matching skills of a large N. When an introvert in absorbed in N, this is what they look like.

Agreed. She strikes me as an INxP who is heavily N, and in a way blurs the T/F. I still think what is being blurred is an introverted nature of an F lean, not T.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She's possibly the most stereotypical INFP I've ever seen, so much so that one suspects Rowling is aware of personality types.

I read the books before I was getting into typology (I think) so I don't remember my intial impression there, but the first time I saw her in the first movie, it was like WHAM that's an INFP. She also acts consistently INFP throughout all the books and all the movies (have not seen part 2 of the final movie, though).

The only type that there's even any argument for is INTP, but it's still ridiculously clear that she is INFP.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't read the books or seen the movies, but every description of her that I've read makes her sound like a Ni-dom.

MBTI Type
INFP
INFP, type 5w4. I don't sense an ounce of Fe in her, even though her novel descriptions might make her seem Ni dominant.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INFP 5w4.

it explains the F-T divide.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
She's possibly the most stereotypical INFP I've ever seen, so much so that one suspects Rowling is aware of personality types.

I read the books before I was getting into typology (I think) so I don't remember my intial impression there, but the first time I saw her in the first movie, it was like WHAM that's an INFP. She also acts consistently INFP throughout all the books and all the movies (have not seen part 2 of the final movie, though).

The only type that there's even any argument for is INTP, but it's still ridiculously clear that she is INFP.
I agree. It is rare to come across a fictional characters which one could determine type so decisively as Luna.

INFP, type 5w4.

INFP 5w4.

it explains the F-T divide.
I thought her more of a 9w1. She has that lightness of spirit, positivity and serenity that a 9 possesses.