• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type was Charles Bukowski?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[youtube=OlWxnfmF7yY]Charles Bukowski interview part 6[/youtube]
[youtube=lAhrr7JNlhk]Bukowski on the use of Marajuana and Booze[/youtube]
[youtube=RAi41ycNc2Y]Charles Bukowski: Born Into This (01/12)[/youtube]
[youtube=FL4_byZiyo0]Bukowski Documentary Part 1 (of 5)[/youtube]
[youtube=cECiIoBGLSI]Bukowski against Mickey Mouse[/youtube]

I think Charles Bukowski was an ENTP, what type do you think he was?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Reminds me of Tom Waits, who isn't entp.

You know what?

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
On second thought, I think ISTP.

Probably a 6w7?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say ISFP. I think he is Fi-dom. His yin & yang disillusionment with reality & fascination with its grit doesn't strike me as Ne-dom.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say ISFP. I think he is Fi-dom. His yin & yang disillusionment with reality & fascination with its grit doesn't strike me as Ne-dom.

In interview, he says the only thing that truly interest him is the future, not the past, once he has wrote something, he forgot it because it's now part of the past and is focused on the future. Maybe he had Fi though. I watched the movie Barfly and the character of Henry Chinaski who is his alter ego seemed ENFP to me. I could see ENFP, but I'm not sure an FP would be able to be that cynic. Also, dirty realism and fascination for grit + delusionment with reality seem more like an NE/Si balance to me, true sensors are simply realist and focused on reality, not dirty realist in delusionment with reality.

Reminds me of Tom Waits

That's because Tom Waits is a 6w5 Sx/Sp while Charles Bukowski was a 6w5 Sx/So, so they are similars. But that does'nt mean they share the same MBTI type. What type do you think Tom Waits is?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could see ENFP, but I'm not sure an FP would be able to be that cynic.

Haven't visited an INFP forum ever, huh? :D
Dejected idealism is very gloomy & cynical....
I resist typing him INFP only because it seems like a "claiming someone as my own type" trap, but I can't see him as an extrovert....and not a Ne-dom. I actually find ENTPs far more positive than INFPs, for example. I could buy INTP then, but I think IxxP, and I also lean towards Fi for him.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haven't visited an INFP forum ever, huh? :D
Dejected idealism is very gloomy & cynical....
I resist typing him INFP only because it seems like a "claiming someone as my own type" trap, but I can't see him as an extrovert....and not a Ne-dom. I actually find ENTPs far more positive than INFPs, for example. I could buy INTP then, but I think IxxP, and I also lean towards Fi for him.

I typed Charles Bukowski as an INFP here ( http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48302&p=1577693&viewfull=1#post1577693 ), but at the same time I doubted it.

There's a lot of INFP traits with him. He was idiosincratic, a loner, he hardly could stand people. As a kid, he was the stereotypycal kid who is nice and fragile and always called last when it's time to form the football or baseball team. As a teenager, he was very socially isolated, that was due to his horrible acnea and his inability to get along positively with the external world and be likable. The only thing he wanted was to be alone in a cavern with enough books and alcoohol to end ten years. The simple fact to get a date at the ball prom and dance with a girl was purely and simply above his strength. At the same time, he was very athletic, strong tough and competitive in sport, wich can sounds S. But his views on life were far too much complex to be an SP I think. I think he could be counterphobic Type 6 INFP who built a sort of ESTJ character but was ultimately the total opposite if this.

Other video: [youtube=P5k05ZWtARc]Charles Bukowski interview part 8[/youtube]

I actually find ENTPs far more positive than INFPs, for example.

It's not really that they are more positive. :biggrin:

The INFP who think the world turn quite wrong but that there's perhaps a good reason to love humanity: gloomy and sad.

The ENTP who think we are all going to hell and that there's no possible way to fix our problems: laugh at this.

I see that Ne-Ti way to see things here:

[youtube=2Yp77Y6FUCc]Charles Bukowski interview part 11[/youtube]

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he is a hard one! it's very rare that you could buy someone as an istp or enfp or entp or isfp...damn...i just really don't know..

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
He doesn't seem much of an extrovert. Like to get drunk alot by himself and ponder. I think INtp.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you're right actually...he doesn't dislike people but seems to feel better when they're not around haha

hmm...istp, isfp, intp or infp is my guess haha

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you're right actually...he doesn't dislike people but seems to feel better when they're not around haha

This is true, I remember in Women when he say to Lidya, his party-lover girlfriend that the least he's around people the most he like them, but can't stand them in reality, and especially hate parties.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...but he does seem to be intrigued or amused by people and their odd habits...especially ones he can't relate to...is it se he's using or ne? se ti? or ti ne or se ni? what do you think?
soo confusing...have to leave for work...i'll check back.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...but he does seem to be intrigued or amused by people and their odd habits...especially ones he can't relate to...is it se he's using or ne? .

Probably Ne-aux, yes. He could be either INTP or INFP, but anyway, he was not a stereotypycal one.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm, I think I legitimately find him to be INTP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
something feels off about intp...i think i'd buy isfp or infp more...hmm

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I typed his as ENTP in the OP because he was very provocative and loved to play the devil's advocate. He was also very analytical and at ease to play with other people's spirits in debate and groups discussion because he was always 10 steps ahead from the politically correct mentality. It's very blatant in the french video. In the same video, he ranted constantly and openly, flirted with the old female writer next to him, drink and get drunk. Then he leaved the stage before the end and threatened a vigil with the knife while the camera filmed him.

At the same time he displayed a lot of introversion and had a lot of stereotypycal ISTP activities like baseball, boxing, drinking, or bet on horses. So I could see him as an INTP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...i'll watch your videos. i was just going by what i read of him in his autobiography.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh damn...actually i have seen many of these already. i believe blue made a thread about this at one point.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you ever seen the french video? I guess it can be difficult to watch with the translation over there.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'll look...sec