• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Darren Aronofsky

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Darren Aronofsky is an American movie director, producer and screenwriter, famous for directing Pi, The Wrestler, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain and, more recently, Black Swan.

How about his type? An interesting interview can be found here.

I struggled with his typing, I admit. I can see different kinds of functions at play here, but I could be wrong...

Aronofsky said:
So, we talked a bit about it and I started to develop it, but it was a really tough film because getting into the ballet world proved to be extremely challenging. Most of the time, when you do a movie and you say, “Hey, I want to make a movie about your world,” all the doors open up, and you can do anything and see anything you want. The ballet world really wasn’t at all interested in us hanging out, so it took a long time to get the information to put it together.

He also talks about "entering other worlds" in the video below... Could this Ne at play, like a child exploring the environment around him or her in an abstract way?

I think people are people and, if their feelings are truthful, they can connect. It doesn’t matter if you’re an aging, 50-something wrestler at the end of his career, or an ambitious, 20-something ballet dancer. If they’re truthful to who they are and they’re expressing something real, then audiences will connect. That’s always been the promise of cinema. That’s why we can see a film about a 7-year-old girl in Iran, or an immortal superhero in America. It doesn’t matter, as long as they’re truthful.

This seems pretty Fi-ish, or maybe just NF in general...

I wish I could be as manipulative as Thomas Leroy in the film. I’m really way too direct, and I’ve actually scared away a lot of A-list actors. Natalie Portman is the first A-list actor I’ve worked with in my career. Everyone else went, “You want me to do what? For how long? For how little money?” And they walk away. I’ve lost a lot of movie stars, along the way. I think a more manipulative director would be like, “Oh, it’s not going to be that hard. Come in and we’ll have fun.” I think that’s when wars start. They’re like, “You told me there would be sushi on set, every day!” I’m a little bit too direct and straight-forward.

Him being more forceful than other directors seems to indicate either a strong Je function or a "directive" (no pun intended) style, which is a strong point against INxP, I think...

I had heard of The Red Shoes, but I didn’t see it. And then, Scorsese did the restoration a few years ago and I was like, “You know what? I better go and see it.” It’s a masterpiece. It’s an unbelievable film. And I saw that there were similarities in the story, but I think that’s because we both went back to ballet and pulled from ballet for the different characters and stuff, so we ended up in similar places. But, I wasn’t really influenced by it. I really didn’t ever try to be influenced by it because it’s such a masterpiece.

Fi seeking neither to affect nor to be affected? Or am I reading too much into this?

I’ve dealt with a few method actors, but I think it’s a bunch of nonsense. It’s film acting. You just have to be on when the camera is rolling. Sure, if it’s a very intense scene, you may want to keep that energy up in between the takes, while the crew is resetting, and they would all do that, but when it’s “Cut!,” it’s “Cut!” Even when it’s “Action!,” and there’s a camera and all these lights and people are moving around you, it’s impossible to fully make believe that doesn’t exist.

That seems to indicate either Se or Te, methinks.

What do you think? INTJ? He seems pretty introverted in this other interview:

Thoughts?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
He seems Te dominant. ESTJ or ENTJ.

I liked The Wrestler. But his "artsy shit" like The Fountain doesn't do anything for me. Te trying to be sublime comes off as weird and hamfisted I guess.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've seen him typed as istp somewhere and that kinda makes sense to me. his movies are all very visual.

i loved the wrestler and black swan, thought requiem for a dream was really cool looking but had a weak plot, and hated pi and the fountain.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I watch his interviews and read about his approach to filmmaking (he considers it to be a craft as opposed to artform, for example, and seems to direct as he goes), ISTP becomes very apparent.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm going with IxTP. I think his overwrought, emotionally manipulative schtick arises more from inferior Fe (See: Clint Eastwood and Christopher Nolan for other such contrived attempts at tugging at their audience's hearts)

The Wrestler is the only one he's done that I've thought was pretty decent, but Black Swan was a significant relapse. I guess he thought wearing the influence of Lynch and Polanski shamelessly on his sleeve (not to mention ripping off the anime Perfect Blue) would secure him a shot at an Oscar? Almost worked, too. Natalie Portman's performance was nearly unbearable as well.

With that said, Requiem for a Dream works magnificently as an unintentional comedy.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In the TIME interview, Aronofsky remarks how inspirational some huge roller coaster has been for him. "Always tried to construct my films to be intense and on the edge."

Also, "To me, watching a movie is like going to an amusement park. My worst fear is making a film that people don't think is a good ride."

istp sounds right.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
ISTP seems likely in hindsight... I think Black Swan might be an expression of unhealthy tert Ni's paranoia sublimated into a movie about obsession and loss of identity...

Any opinions on his Enneatype?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTP seems likely in hindsight... I think Black Swan might be an expression of unhealthy tert Ni's paranoia sublimated into a movie about obsession and loss of identity...

Are you typing Darren Arnofsky or the movie Black Swan?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm typing him, which is why I read/watched interviews. I was just making an observation about the movie as a partial extension of the filmmaker. I'm aware that there are a lot of people involved in filmmaking, thankyouverymuch. :dry: