• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Forest Gump MBTI type.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he's FP of some sort, don't know E/I or S/N though

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely ISFJ, without question.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Why's everyone going with I? It's been a while since I saw the movie, but I recall him as pretty darn sociable. Most of the movie is him sitting on a bench and talking about his personal life to any stranger who sits beside him!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think he's either ISFJ or ESFJ. BlankPages raised a very good point with Forrest being so chatty with strangers.

I'm also entirely puzzled by the INFP suggestion. He always talked about concrete things, telling his life stories, blah blah blah. He also seems to have that stereotypically Si/Fe or Fe/Si sense of duty, honor, and loyalty. He always did the right thing, despite his relative lack of intellect whatever intelligence he had was focused into things like serving his country and protecting Jenny. Forrest appeared to have a great deal of respect for his mother's prescribed morality and the social institutions of his country, as well as being a very openly caring or "others centered" individual.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
^^Yep.
an INFP would constantly be asking himself Why do I desire this? Are these braces not really fetters? What cosmic forces have lead me to this impasse? Do my mother's beliefs reflect a universal moral imperative, or simply social conditioning? If life is truly similar to a box of chocolates, what does it say about the nature of chance, and the pursuit of pleasure?

Yeah, I can't image him having those thoughts.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^Yep.
an INFP would constantly be asking himself Why do I desire this? Are these braces not really fetters? What cosmic forces have lead me to this impasse? Do my mother's beliefs reflect a universal moral imperative, or simply social conditioning? If life is truly similar to a box of chocolates, what does it say about the nature of chance, and the pursuit of pleasure?

Yeah, I can't image him having those thoughts.

Yes, he knows exactly what is the right thing to do from externalized, measurable standards (Fe). I also don't see any evidence of him pondering theory to any significant extent, though his little bursts of inspiration to do new things or change the course of his path could easily be tertiary or inferior Ne. He appears to have the linear thought of Si, and seems more inclined to "do" than to "ponder" which could be another argument for him being ESFJ. Aside from the fact that he is intellectually slow, he is a walking stereotype of SFJ. He is lovable. America's hero, even. Like a kindly police officer, stopping Watergate, saving his friend's life, keeping promises, all without a trace of any sort of STJ authoritarianism.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure now he's ESFJ.

I have to admit I totally love Forrest Gump. I think it's one of the sweetest movies ever, and I love the soundtrack.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And that Jenny gal is a ISFP too!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forrest - ISFJ
Jenny - ISFP

PS - I talk to strangers all the time. Also, I wish to marry Forrest.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My initial impression for Forrest was ISFP. I favored ISFP over ISFJ because he seemed to have that SP sort of adventurous spirit. Can't rule out ISFJ though and alot of the explanations for him being ISFJ make total sense. So maybe ISFx?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
esfj, maybe isfj. i don't think he was all that adventurous, he just wandered into lots of interesting situations, mostly unintentionally.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I guess ISFJ makes some sense, he has this rigidness about him but he's also very sensitive at the same time. I'm not sure if that rigidness has to do with being an SJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Si part of Forrest's psyche is fairly obvious, his philosophy (such as it is) is completely dominated by memories of his mother's sage advice. But although more passive than not in his attitude, there is an Se side to Forrest which enjoys new experiences even if he doesn't seek them out. Is that his tertiary? But with Si versus Se, as far as what they feel inside, difference of intensity is the key to understanding Si and Se behavior. The Si seeks out intensity of experience, the Se experience is more expansive yet more superficial. I don't see Forrest as primarily either of these. For him, the Si serves to advise his primary function, it is not a way of life. This advice consists of his mother's wisdom. So the purpose Si serves depends upon its dominance in his psyche's heirarchy.

I think the Fe stands out for him more than any other function.