• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ever Date Someone For an Odd Reason?

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
Have you? Maybe liked her first name a lot, maybe dated him becuase of how he organizes his office? Etc, etc?

Ill share *

I am with the guy Im dating right now because of the way he challenges me, in arguements and debates, he has a style to it. Without that, I dont know if I would date him, I would be real bored. What he does is that, he gets me all off-guard, then throws a fastball.
It is exciting. Ive even lost some arguements to him because of his skill at this. He has the Best jabs at me, he will quietly say some one-liner, while Im reading a book or watching tv, about my current behavior contradicting something Ive said in the past, and, its awesome.
*I still out-argue him, but my having to talk extensively as I maneuver/improvize my arguement to show how there is no contradiction, that it is*"more complex than that". The extensive explanation I formulated made my arguement appear weaker than it was, so he won.*

Its just enthralling, and amusing, and just Great. He is amazing.

Have you ever dated someone for a wierd reason?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Couldn't your seeming reasons for being attracted to anyone be ridiculous?

"We both like arguing."

"I am impressed by his extensive knowledge of film and his unique film collection."

"We both like 80's music."

"He wrote this cool poem, so I knew he had inner depth."

I mean, isn't interest always sparked on something like that? Besides physical attraction. Then you get to know them and decide if the fascination leads to anything more.

Though I will say liking someone's first name is a truly weird reason to date someone, that one makes no sense to me.

Of course in all of this I'm presuming by "dating" you actually mean courting, "talking" or getting to know someone or casually dating.

Because if you're in a committed relationship with someone just because of the way he argues, yes, that's pretty fucking weird.

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
Ok, well. Iwas asking for wierd reasons, not interesting reasons. Thats why I used the worda "wierd" and "odd".

People do different things than normal, so, I asked about that. My question was not "Are you ever interest in someone because you both use a toilet?", wait, wait, no, here is Normal, what you said: "We both listen to 80's music", thats boring to ask a question to a forum about that. I want the dirt

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hooray, someone thinks I'm Normal.

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
Ive dated a guy because of his first name too, and yes, I mean commitment, which is like a few months for me, but I havent dated anyone based on their office being clean. That was an example. Pretty good one, id say.

No! I didnt say that, you could be entirely wierd, wierdness is way cooler than boring. Wait. Normal is fun too. Okay, ILl just say that you are Awesome, and The World. That solves everything.

Anyway,
Anyone want to contribute by answering the question

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
Not dated, but I have a thing for hands-- veiny, with a nice color contrast, and bony wrists OH MY GOD.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ive dated a guy because of his first name too, and yes, I mean commitment, which is like a few months for me, but I havent dated anyone based on their office being clean. That was an example. Pretty good one, id say.

Anyway,
Anyone want to contribute by answering the question

But like, enjoying the company of someone skilled in debate or who keeps his office very organized (i.e. he's a clean, organized person) are "normal" reasons to pick someone, too, just as normal as if you both like 80's music. If two people enjoy debating and arguing, then that's a shared interest, and certainly not unheard of in an ENTP.

I mean I've thought certain guys names were cuter than others, yet I wouldn't be attracted to someone for that one reason... that's the only truly weird thing you've said so far, honestly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not dated, but I have a thing for hands-- veiny, with a nice color contrast, and bony wrists OH MY GOD.

I is liking pretty man hands too!

But in my case, more like graceful "artistic" hands. You should visit my man hands thread in the adult sexuality/mature topics threads section.

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
But like, enjoying the company of someone skilled in debate or who keeps his office very organized (i.e. he's a clean, organized person) are "normal" reasons to pick someone, too, just as normal as if you both like 80's music. If two people enjoy debating and arguing, then that's a shared interest, and certainly not unheard of in an ENTP.

I mean I've thought certain guys names were cuter than others, yet I wouldn't be attracted to someone for that one reason... that's the only truly weird thing you've said so far, honestly.
His name was Brax. He even drove a huge Bronco. I mean "Brax", thats pretty memorable.*
Yeah, thats true, about offices bring clean and people getting off on that, Im sure the entire Accounting department rates the sexuality of their desks, and object organization of the desk. LIFO, FIFO it. Mix them bins up. Maybe trade their trash cans, sift through it, see how clean it is, then go have sex.*

Im just playing, you do have a great point, im just playing

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i decided i liked my ex when he said the cheese on his pizza was behaving weird...haha and in hs i dated someone who stuttered because he was adorable about it...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've pity-dated; that's sort of "weird". I'm not dating my boyfriend for this reason, but one thing that initially made him appeal to me was that he is multi-lingual (in addition to English, he's fluent in French & Spanish & speaks some Italian).

T

ThatGirl

The most ridiculous reason I have had for dating someone was that I was convinced I should give them a shot.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I considered dating my current bf (isfp) partially because my entp friend was like "hey you're an istp and I know this guy who's totally a istp, you should hang out"

That's pretty odd, I think. Not the reason we dated but it made me pay more attention to him when we met, which I'm sure helped. Even if he isn't istp after all.

V

violaine

The most ridiculous reason I have had for dating someone was that I was convinced I should give them a shot.

I've done that too. So ridiculous, felt ridiculous at the time too. Still mad at myself for it.

I get the thing about a guy's first name though. There are a few that are just so damn manly, that they are a pleasure to utter. Conversely, I've been weirdly turned off by first names too. (Not enough to not date the person, just to have a bummer moment. But when I've broken up with the guy, I've had a weird flash of remembering what I initially thought of that name and cursed myself for not paying more attention to silly little 'stop' signs like that.)

And, I think I get some attention due to my Australian accent, I suspect that that is a funny little reason men might have been interested in me.

T

ThatGirl

I have dated a lot of men who's names start with an E, and, or are a Scorpio. Or are an EP.

I also have a thing for E F G D names.

I hate Jaquelin and J names for some reason.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, I love names like Jordan and Sterling, but I don't think that's the only reason why I would date a person, because he had a name like that.

I've also had crushes on men with horrible names, like Oleg.

I don't put a lot of stock into names, I don't take them as signs, but I fucking hate the name Bob.

You will never see me dating Bob.

T

ThatGirl

Oh, I love names like Jordan and Sterling, but I don't think that's the only reason why I would date a person, because he had a name like that.

I've also had crushes on men with horrible names, like Oleg.

I don't put a lot of stock into names, I don't take them as signs, but I fucking hate the name Bob.

You will never see me dating Bob.

Jordan has a D in it so it isn't as bad as other names.

I actually read either a study or something that said we do pick partners based on a certain level of familiarity. Some of which could be names. There are certain emotions associated with certain letters or names, and people tend to have similar experiences based off those reactive cause and effect responses.

Actually I think that was half what I read and half my own theory.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have dated a lot of men who's names start with an E, and, or are a Scorpio. Or are an EP.

I also have a thing for E F G D names.

I hate Jaquelin and J names for some reason.

Hm... I have dated or ahem such 6 separate people called Emma. Is it possible people are just fond of naming children E-something?
Must be a conspiracy.

T

ThatGirl

Mine were always Ed-fill in the blank. The funniest was Edson, I said, "What did your parent's say this is Ed and he is my son."

He wasn't amused. Lol