• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Beatles

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John: 5w4 Sx/So INTP
Paul: 3w2 Sp/Sx ESFP
George: 1w9 Sp/Sx ISFP
Ringo: 9w8 So/Sx ESFP

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why INTP for Lennon? I'm really curious about his type but I don't know too much about him.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very rational, very cynical, very head-in-the-clouds, very intelectual, not very emotional, not extrovert. Seems INTP to me.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Very rational, very cynical, very head-in-the-clouds, very intelectual, not very emotional, not extrovert. Seems INTP to me.

Very rational & cynical? Huh?? This is the guy who wrote "All You Need Is Love," "Give Peace a Chance" & "Imagine"-- three of the all-time hippie peace anthems. You could argue he only did it as a posture to make money, but that doesn't align with how vocal he was in opposition to the Vietnam war (among other things), & the fact that he spent several years in the late 60s & 70s basically going out of his way to piss off the government, to the point where the Nixon administration tried to have him deported & the FBI accumulated several hundred pages worth of files on him. He basically broke up the Beatles at their zenith as a cash-making empire so he could lay in bed with Yoko Ono. He made a point of speaking his mind even in the Beatles' early days as squeaky-teen idols, & kept that pattern throughout his life.

To be cynical is to act practically at the expense of idealism out of the idea that self-interest always wins. "If you can't beat 'em, join em". Unless you're talking about the ancient Greek philosophical school (which was really a form of idealism centered on virtue & harmonious living), John Lennon was the exact opposite of a cynic.

Still, I think it's possible he was an INTP, but the emotion in most of his songs makes me think INFP or ENFP.

I think George may have been INFP also do to his mystical religious focus (remember he was the Beatle most affected by their trip into India & meeting with the Maharishi & all that, & he was one of the few 60s musicians who maintained an interest in Eastern meditation & stuff like that throughout his entire life). But, I can see ISFP also.

As for Paul & Ringo, I agree with ESFP though I can also see ESFJ for Ringo.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John was emotional toward his songs, not emotonal at all and not pacific at all in real life.

Interview:

My opinion is that if that guy was not INTP, nobody is INTP.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How does a nonemotional person write emotional songs? Or, more specifically in response to your statement, how does a person otherwise "not emotional at all" suddenly become emotional in regards to songwriting? What would cause a nonemotional person to suddenly have emotions in the context of songwriting?

That he didn't express his feelings in day-to-day life is probably the whole reason he was such an expressive songwriter-- because he had to find some outlet for it.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But notice, I'm still not saying he wasn't an INTP. I just think you're misunderstanding his personality.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John was emotional, but not emotionally expressive; characteristic of an INTP.

On a different note, I don't see how someone couldn't fake emotion when writing a song.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
John was emotional, but not emotionally expressive; characteristic of an INTP.

It seems more characteristic of male introversion in general. And he WAS emotionally expressive-- in his songs. That's actually what I was just saying.

On a different note, I don't see how someone couldn't fake emotion when writing a song.

Of course you could-- but it wouldn't be believable, just like most things that are fake.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems more characteristic of male introversion in general. And he WAS emotionally expressive-- in his songs. That's actually what I was just saying..
What I meant was also that he was emotional in his songs, but not in person.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This thread makes me want to go listen to abbey Road. It's been a while since i've heard any beatles songs.

I'm not a huge fan which is why I couldn't offer a definite opinion on their personalities. My favorite 60s guys are Bob Dylan & Frank Zappa who I'm pretty sure were ISFP & ISTP (for what it's worth).

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is enneagram related. as a 5w4, John Lennon hardly feel emotions in public, but was at ease to retire in solitude to really feel the emotions he could'nt feel when he was in public, and explore his oniric world.

Chloe

Many INT artists sound extremely emotional (and emotionally intelligent ) in songs. Nick Cave comes to my mind. They know to write down what NFs feel all the time :D

Lennon; INTP no doubts.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, just for temperament fun (take it with a grain of salt):

• Ringo: Guardian
  • Paul: Artisan
  • George: Idealist
  • John: Rational
In actuality, though, they were (and are) all likely Artisans, because I'm typing the people, not their songs.

Last edited:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're missing a Beatle. Nobody is typing Yoko?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Lennon - ESTP 7w8 sx/sp
McCartney - ENFJ 3w2 so/sp
Harrison - ISTP 9w1 sp/so
Starr - ISFJ 2w3 so/sx

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of theses are wrong, but thank you for the participation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.john-lennon.com/playboyinterviewwithjohnlennonandyokoono.htm

Well, I was too shy and self-doubting. Nobody seems to be as hip as me is what I was saying. Therefore, I must be crazy or a genius -- "I mean it must be high or low," the next line. There was something wrong with me, I thought, because I seemed to see things other people didn't see. I thought I was crazy or an egomaniac for claiming to see things other people didn't see. As a child, I would say, "But this is going on!" and everybody would look at me as if I was crazy. I always was so psychic or intuitive or poetic or whatever you want to call it, that I was always seeing things in a hallucinatory way. It was scary as a child, because there was nobody to relate to. Neither my auntie nor my friends nor anybody could ever see what I did. It was very, very scary and the only contact I had was reading about an Oscar Wilde or a Dylan Thomas or a Vincent van Gogh -- all those books that my auntie had that talked about their suffering because of their visions. Because of what they saw, they were tortured by society for trying to express what they were. I saw loneliness.

That is describing the Ni type. The enneatype described here is 4.

If the Beatles or the Sixties had a message, it was to learn to swim. Period. And once you learn to swim, swim. The people who are hung up on the Beatles' and the Sixties' dream missed the whole point when the Beatles' and the Sixties' dream became the point. Carrying the Beatles' or the Sixties' dream around all your life is like carrying the Second World War and Glenn Miller around. That's not to say you can't enjoy Glenn Miller or the Beatles, but to live in that dream is the twilight zone. It's not living now. It's an illusion.

That describes the anti-Si Individualist type 4.