• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me she seems more ENFP than ENFJ, as she is quite random (thus seeming more Ne dom than Fe dom), but ENFx for sure.

She's very focused and managerial. She displays a clear "in charge" interpersonal style focused on completing meaningful goals. ENFJs can seem random when they let out Ni's ideas, but Deb is very clearly extroverting judgment most of the time we see her.

Note her insistence on social ritual and family obligations. She gets genuinely offended when Dexter forgets their annual appointment to eat dinner and celebrate Harry's birthday, and she's much more preoccupied with advancing her career on schedule and making daddy proud (Fe) than she is on rewriting the rules or going her own way (Ne.)

Not to mention, her spurts of inspiration when she finally solves the problem are characteristically Ni. It's always, "Oh, I didn't get it because I was looking at it the wrong way", not "Oh I connected unrelated contexts and invented a new approach" (Ne.)

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah you make some good points, can you discuss a little more the process by which Si makes intuitive insights regarding its surroundings?

I don't understand the inner workings of Si very well, and I was very new at this when I declared Dexter to be INTJ.

For instance, I was at a club the other night with an ISFJ friend and he saw some really southern rocky-sounding band name written on the wall and observed that "They're probably southern rock."

I couldn't decide if this was Si or Ni, because I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the two...I think Si may be the most poorly understood of the eight functions, in general.

How do Si and Ni differ and how do you tell the difference when it comes to realizing things that were not derived specifically from past concrete experience (like Dexter knowing where to go to save Deb from Rudy)?

HAHA!!! That was me at The Loft show, no?

_Violence_

INTJ's have emotions too, you know.

Dexter not knowing how to actually process those emotions, could show they are a weak and underdeveloped function.

I don't think he has to have a dominant F in order to "feel" those repressed emotions, to be honest.

And when those emotions DO come up, they explode violently, as per the last few episodes.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
HAHA!!! That was me at The Loft show, no?

Vinyl, actually, but close enough. The night we opened for that Rage tribute.

I see now that it was Si. You had a mental "map" that said this symbol usually means that.

I think Ni would have thought: "But what if this symbol led to some other non-standard interpretation instead? Why should we assume this symbolic connection?"

P.S.,

You got Si pwned!

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ's have emotions too, you know.

Dexter not knowing how to actually process those emotions, could show they are a weak and underdeveloped function.

I don't think he has to have a dominant F in order to "feel" those repressed emotions, to be honest.

And when those emotions DO come up, they explode violently, as per the last few episodes.

Yep :)

I'm not sure whether Dex is T or F.... the whole traumatic background he has really muddies it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not unless her personality changes after season one...

If you're still reading Dexter as INFJ then I don't have much interest in discussing the types of the characters in this series with you.

Jaguar

If you're still reading Dexter as INFJ then I don't have much interest in discussing the types of the characters in this series with you.

I'm sitting here wondering when you people are going to start typing my neighbor's dog. :popc1:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Speaking of ENTJs...

The Trinity Killer in season 4--ENTJ, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, he's ESTJ.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trinity killer reminded me of my ISTJ ex fiance. Hahaha.

He's sure not N.

You're right; I wrote that after only a couple episodes, but after a few more he became obviously ESTJ.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I see no doubt that he's a wounded idealist. Were he an NT as so many of you suggest, the show would have an interely different theme. He wouldn't feel like he was a monster, he wouldn't have to weigh everything against his moral code, and he sure as hell wouldn't have all that inner pseudo-poetic monologue about how horrible a person he is.

Were Dexter a conceptualizer, he wouldn't have all the inner turmoil about being murdering people. He'd just do it because it's part of who he is.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Um btw guys,

S types have an N function, and T types have an F function.

Everyone spouting "boo hoo Dexter has feelings so he can't be a T!!!" is being ridiculous.

Dexter has a weak and rather unconscious (because it is repressed by his trauma) tertiary Fi. Not Fe.

And whoever is calling him a P...just doesn't know a damn thing about typology. Good lord. :doh:
Quite the opposite, if you pay attention. He has very strong morals and ethics, even though he claims they aren't his but his dads. He wants his code to strive. Not his theories and systems.

You say he's an NT. How would his behaviour be different if he were an NF then?

I'm saying he's NF, and that he would act alot more like his brother if he were an NT. Nobody's saying that NT's don't have emotions, just that they would process their emotions differently. The way Dexter handles his screams idealist, and not conceptualizer.

sleepy

Quite the opposite, if you pay attention. He has very strong morals and ethics, even though he claims they aren't his but his dads. He wants his code to strive. Not his theories and systems.

You say he's an NT. How would his behaviour be different if he were an NF then?

I'm saying he's NF, and that he would act alot more like his brother if he were an NT. Nobody's saying that NT's don't have emotions, just that they would process their emotions differently. The way Dexter handles his screams idealist, and not conceptualizer.

No NT, or else he would have cracked the moral code by now.