• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why does everyone think he is introverted? He might just do the introverted dance
because of necessity. Just a thought, otherwise I agree with the INTJ thing... He's so much J that any german militaryman would get a hardon.

I know a couple of INTJ's in real life, very well. But seriously, wouldn't the typical INTJ be a little less socially skilled...? C'mmon, it's an INTJ trademark to offend people and not go passed unnoticed :D Dexter is way too much of a smooth operator somehow.
Is this learned behavior, maybe?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That was one reason I wondered if he could be F but E's possible too. I hadn't really considered the possibility that he might be extroverted but that COULD be because the show features his inner monologue which we normally don't get from the people we observe (duh). He certainly does focus on the outside world in his "take out the trash" thing and he's always trying to make sense of things outside himself. Food for thought...

Today a funny thought occurred to me. Don't take this post too seriously. INFJs are known as problem avoiders and doorslammers. I can see some of that past trauma avoidance in Dexter, but I also thought that killing someone is like the ultimate form of doorslam. No? Okay.

But this makes sense too. Dang, he's even harder to pin down than House!

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
E = recharges energies when around other people, being alone is taxing.
I = recharges energies when alone, being around other people is taxing.

I see no possibility that Dexter would become more alive and refreshed around other people. To him the company of others is obviously a taxing process. He must consciously process every word and action, because acceptable social interaction doesn't come naturally to him. He acts E only to appear more normal (which equals less suspicious).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just throwing this out there.. but doesn't he become "more alive and refreshed" when he's around people in the process of, you know, murdering them? :D

Beyond that, I'm not sure extroversion ALWAYS means being very social.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why does everyone think he is introverted? He might just do the introverted dance
because of necessity. Just a thought, otherwise I agree with the INTJ thing... He's so much J that any german militaryman would get a hardon.

I know a couple of INTJ's in real life, very well. But seriously, wouldn't the typical INTJ be a little less socially skilled...? C'mmon, it's an INTJ trademark to offend people and not go passed unnoticed :D Dexter is way too much of a smooth operator somehow.
Is this learned behavior, maybe?

Fe auxiliary
Si comes back to haunt him- remember that killing instrument he forgot in the subject's body
and didn't he let the immigrants go ?
isn't he very polite and likes to tease the black guy ?
isn't he too weird and detached - inner-monologues ? - INFJ

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone out there watch "Dexter" on Showtime? MBTI character analysis!

Ok, this was written after having seen up through 3x06.

Dexter--At first, ridiculously INTJ. Almost a caricature of INTJ--a brilliant, creative and rational thinker whose very existence is dependent upon introverting his thoughts--cool, calculated, methodical, tidy to the point of OCD, and at times emotionally retarded. In fact, if you want to understand the INTJ type this is the perfect character for it. The entire series is basically about Dexter's development from a total INTJ into more of an INFJ.

Deb--ENFJ. Can be pushy and a bit stubborn (J), but ultimately lives to serve others in a grand, far-reaching kind of way (NF) and is extremely extraverted to the point of sometimes being obnoxious, contradicting her F nature. As Dexter points out in the very first episode, she is "the only one that really loves [him.]" She's a bit prone to simply declaring (J) what's best for others (E) and then refusing to change her mind, but usually has honest and good intentions (F), and is typically right in these predictions--classic ENFJ.

Rita--ISFJ. Caring, traditionalist, selfless, loving mother type who finds her purpose in providing for the specific (S) needs of others (F) in an organized and consistent way (J). She tends to be rather private and takes time to let others in (I), but possesses an extremely high sense of duty toward her loved ones and can always be depended upon in others' times of need. ISFJs often have problems with being assertive or sticking up for their own abilities even when they know they deserve to be recognized--as such, they are sometimes under-appreciated. This leads to Rita's ongoing struggle to learn these assertive social skills throughout the series.

Harry--INFJ? This one is tough, but I think it makes sense that Deb grew up so much like her father--as NFs, they are drawn toward service to the community (Harry's personal bitterness over various guilty felons who went free leads him to justify his cultivation of Dexter's serial killing tendencies to himself by declaring that he is "channeling [Dexter's urge to kill] for good the greater good"--a classic NF justification.) Seems to make this judgment rather quickly when he discovers his foster son's true nature, and then is very methodical in devising (N) and carrying out plans (J) to train Dexter to keep his true self a secret. INFJs often fantasize about "getting back at" those who they see as taking advantage of the weak or downtrodden, and are often champions of "the little guy." When he finally walks in on Dexter mutilating a victim, he is so overwhelmed with guilt at what he has created (F) that he commits suicide. And all the while his concern for Dexter's well-being is one of his biggest motivations (F), but we're left to decide for ourselves just how much he was driven by desire for revenge/vindication of his own failures. Very interesting character.

LaGuerta--Easily ENTJ. A strong, opinionated and outwardly focused (E) rational thinker not particularly concerned with the feelings of others (T) who's not afraid to use unconventional (and sometimes arguably unethical) means (N) in her own meticulously crafted plans (J) to advance her career.

Doakes--INTJ; the NTJ similarities explain why he and LaGuerta were first attracted to each other, and also why their relationship failed. Another strong rational thinker (T) who ignores conventions in creating (N) and methodically executing (J) his own plans without regard to the established methods (N), rather than enforcing traditional rules (as the ESTJ tends to do) and is often excessively controlling, blunt and assertive (J) with little to no regard for others' feelings (T.) This also explains why Doakes sees through Dexter's social mask so easily--INTJs are known for their lack of social interaction (I) and terrible emotional intelligence--and as much as they hate each other, these two are very similar.

Angel--ESFP, as the type that lives most fundamentally for the present-moment, tangible experiences of right now (SP), Angel is friendly and loves to party (E)--he is constantly out at the bar, trying to pick up women, but is driven by a very deep desire to help and serve the specific needs (SF) of his coworkers, and is often guilt-ridden when he fails. He feels intense guilt over the failure of his marriage (F) and often gives in too easily to his impulses and the opinions of others (this P-flexibility allows LaGuerta's assertive ENTJ influence to impact his professional decisions, for instance.)

Masuka--ESTP, fundamentally an outspoken performer who has a deep need for the approval of his peers. As an SP, he is over-the-top, persuasive (maybe not as much as he thinks), and sometimes downright obnoxious. In a never-ending attempt to garner attention and entertain his "audience", he is constantly cracking some ridiculous and often offensive joke but seems too oblivious to the feelings and sentiments of others to notice that it's not always appreciated. I like how in season 3 he grows into a real dynamic character instead of just continuing to be a stereotype.

Lundy--ENFP-- He is driven by a desire to "fight evil" (a very NF characteristic) and feels compelled to do service to the world through his work. He is also generally warm, compassionate and open to new leads and ideas, but can wear himself a little thin through his constant efforts to save the world. These qualities, combined with his brilliant intuition for criminal investigation, catch Deb off guard and lead her to falling in love with him. She eventually becomes disinterested as his strong P function leads him to "spread his love around" a lot (sooo NFP!) and often precludes him from making serious long-term commitments.

Lila--ESTP, attention-craving, present-focused concrete thinker (S) who ignores traditional rules and seems to thrive on acting on impulse (P), Lila is highly proficient at manipulating others (E) for rational self-gain, and has little concern for the feelings of others (T).

Paul--ESTJ, overbearing macho type, but feels a sense of duty to uphold tradition (SJ), as evidenced by his one redeeming quality: his commitment to helping raise his children as well as he can after his initial release from prison.

Miguel (new character in season 3)--ENFJ, he is a brilliant, creative and association-oriented thinker (N), which combines with his F function to place him in the NF temperament--he is drawn to service the community (F) in an outwardly focused (E) and methodical (J) manner. As the season progresses his NFJ desire to punish the wicked for the greater good of mankind begins to overtake his entire moral worldview.

Joey (new character in season 3)--ISFP, seems to be a pretty concrete thinker (S) who's not afraid to switch up his approach and step outside the accepted method (P). Often acts on impulses and gut feelings. Also seems to have a particular gift with understanding the emotions and needs of others, but it has been suggested by Yuki that he is more self-serving than he appears to be. May later change to ISTP after more data. Interestingly, he has only one trait (F) in common with Deb, but her flair for intuitive planning (NJ) seems to reflect and compliment his impulsive SP behavior and disregard for rules and regulations.

Ramón (new character in season 3)--ESTP, feels a strong sense of duty to avenge his brother's death but is very short-sighted and can't seem to keep his anger and aggression in check. Often overbearing, controlling and insensitive (T) as he forces himself into the investigation, feeling increasingly helpless to do anything about it. Seems to believe he can simply convince the Miami PD to do a better job of finding Freebo--always the salesman.

Anton (new character in season 3)--ENTP, smooth and confident smart ass (hence the song he plays for her at the bar) who can't help but push the limits (i.e. lighting the joint when Deb threatens to arrest him.) Nonetheless he is impressed by her spirit and intrigued by her conviction, and begins to open up to her after their first unfortunately negative run-in.

Yuki (new character in season 3)--Not much data yet, seems pretty ENTx in her articulate, sardonic style of speech. We'll see what happens with her.

Rita's Mother--Stereotypical ESTJ female--traditional, authoritarian, stern and even sometimes cold (T), exceedingly controlling and easily offended when her value system is challenged, especially by one seen as "below" her level of authority.

Interesting that I only profiled 17 characters and came out with 11 different types as a result. I suspect that good character interaction results at least partially from having a wide variety of character types at work.

(By amusing coincidence Joey (ISFP) and Ramón (ESTP) came out right next to each other in the list. And who's the consummate SP?? Why, none other than Joey Ramone, of course!)

The missing types seem to be:

ISTJ--I'm sure there's some minor character that's ISTJ and isn't noticed, for just that reason. ;)
ESFJ--Eh, maybe that lady at work that Dexter gives donuts to?
ISTP--Not sure if such a character will come up; Joey may turn out to be one after all.
INTP--Interesting that there's not one on the Miami PD staff...could be a good addition for future seasons, maybe a rival blood spatter analyst?
INFP--Would probably play some kind of supportive character role as like...I dunno, a girl whose life Dexter accidentally saves after killing her asshole overbearing ESTJ boyfriend?? One can only hope ^_^

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Eh, I just read the book, so perhaps this isn't the right place, but from the book he's a definite INFJ.

Yes, one would be too quick to give him INTJ, because he seems to be logical. He goes on and on about himself being cold... but he's an unreliable narrator. It's too obvious in the book (more obvious than in the show?) that he's trying to convince himself of that. He's just trying to convince himself of that because he's afraid it might not be true...

The only types I've know to use 'logic' as such, more for comfort than as directly a tool, would be Fs, particularly INFJs. In fact, I've seen this a lot with INFJs... he's not developing into an INFJ, he always was one, just one who was trying to bury himself in 'T' -- this the appearance of being the caricature of an INTJ.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Ok, this was written after having seen up through 3x06.

Dexter--At first, ridiculously INTJ. Almost a caricature of INTJ--a brilliant, creative and rational thinker whose very existence is dependent upon introverting his thoughts--cool, calculated, methodical, tidy to the point of OCD, and at times emotionally retarded. In fact, if you want to understand the INTJ type this is the perfect character for it. The entire series is basically about Dexter's development from a total INTJ into more of an INFJ.

Deb--ENFJ. Can be pushy and a bit stubborn (J), but ultimately lives to serve others in a grand, far-reaching kind of way (NF) and is extremely extraverted to the point of sometimes being obnoxious, contradicting her F nature. As Dexter points out in the very first episode, she is "the only one that really loves [him.]" She's a bit prone to simply declaring (J) what's best for others (E) and then refusing to change her mind, but usually has honest and good intentions (F), and is typically right in these predictions--classic ENFJ.

Rita--ISFJ. Caring, traditionalist, selfless, loving mother type who finds her purpose in providing for the specific (S) needs of others (F) in an organized and consistent way (J). She tends to be rather private and takes time to let others in (I), but possesses an extremely high sense of duty toward her loved ones and can always be depended upon in others' times of need. ISFJs often have problems with being assertive or sticking up for their own abilities even when they know they deserve to be recognized--as such, they are sometimes under-appreciated. This leads to Rita's ongoing struggle to learn these assertive social skills throughout the series.

Harry--INFJ? This one is tough, but I think it makes sense that Deb grew up so much like her father--as NFs, they are drawn toward service to the community (Harry's personal bitterness over various guilty felons who went free leads him to justify his cultivation of Dexter's serial killing tendencies to himself by declaring that he is "channeling [Dexter's urge to kill] for good the greater good"--a classic NF justification.) Seems to make this judgment rather quickly when he discovers his foster son's true nature, and then is very methodical in devising (N) and carrying out plans (J) to train Dexter to keep his true self a secret. INFJs often fantasize about "getting back at" those who they see as taking advantage of the weak or downtrodden, and are often champions of "the little guy." When he finally walks in on Dexter mutilating a victim, he is so overwhelmed with guilt at what he has created (F) that he commits suicide. And all the while his concern for Dexter's well-being is one of his biggest motivations (F), but we're left to decide for ourselves just how much he was driven by desire for revenge/vindication of his own failures. Very interesting character.

LaGuerta--Easily ENTJ. A strong, opinionated and outwardly focused (E) rational thinker not particularly concerned with the feelings of others (T) who's not afraid to use unconventional (and sometimes arguably unethical) means (N) in her own meticulously crafted plans (J) to advance her career.

Doakes--INTJ; the NTJ similarities explain why he and LaGuerta were first attracted to each other, and also why their relationship failed. Another strong rational thinker (T) who ignores conventions in creating (N) and methodically executing (J) his own plans without regard to the established methods (N), rather than enforcing traditional rules (as the ESTJ tends to do) and is often excessively controlling, blunt and assertive (J) with little to no regard for others' feelings (T.) This also explains why Doakes sees through Dexter's social mask so easily--INTJs are known for their lack of social interaction (I) and terrible emotional intelligence--and as much as they hate each other, these two are very similar.

Angel--ESFP, as the type that lives most fundamentally for the present-moment, tangible experiences of right now (SP), Angel is friendly and loves to party (E)--he is constantly out at the bar, trying to pick up women, but is driven by a very deep desire to help and serve the specific needs (SF) of his coworkers, and is often guilt-ridden when he fails. He feels intense guilt over the failure of his marriage (F) and often gives in too easily to his impulses and the opinions of others (this P-flexibility allows LaGuerta's assertive ENTJ influence to impact his professional decisions, for instance.)

Masuka--ESTP, fundamentally an outspoken performer who has a deep need for the approval of his peers. As an SP, he is over-the-top, persuasive (maybe not as much as he thinks), and sometimes downright obnoxious. In a never-ending attempt to garner attention and entertain his "audience", he is constantly cracking some ridiculous and often offensive joke but seems too oblivious to the feelings and sentiments of others to notice that it's not always appreciated. I like how in season 3 he grows into a real dynamic character instead of just continuing to be a stereotype.

Lundy--ENFP-- He is driven by a desire to "fight evil" (a very NF characteristic) and feels compelled to do service to the world through his work. He is also generally warm, compassionate and open to new leads and ideas, but can wear himself a little thin through his constant efforts to save the world. These qualities, combined with his brilliant intuition for criminal investigation, catch Deb off guard and lead her to falling in love with him. She eventually becomes disinterested as his strong P function leads him to "spread his love around" a lot (sooo NFP!) and often precludes him from making serious long-term commitments.

Lila--ESTP, attention-craving, present-focused concrete thinker (S) who ignores traditional rules and seems to thrive on acting on impulse (P), Lila is highly proficient at manipulating others (E) for rational self-gain, and has little concern for the feelings of others (T).

Paul--ESTJ, overbearing macho type, but feels a sense of duty to uphold tradition (SJ), as evidenced by his one redeeming quality: his commitment to helping raise his children as well as he can after his initial release from prison.

Miguel (new character in season 3)--ENFJ, he is a brilliant, creative and association-oriented thinker (N), which combines with his F function to place him in the NF temperament--he is drawn to service the community (F) in an outwardly focused (E) and methodical (J) manner. As the season progresses his NFJ desire to punish the wicked for the greater good of mankind begins to overtake his entire moral worldview.

Joey (new character in season 3)--ISFP, seems to be a pretty concrete thinker (S) who's not afraid to switch up his approach and step outside the accepted method (P). Often acts on impulses and gut feelings. Also seems to have a particular gift with understanding the emotions and needs of others, but it has been suggested by Yuki that he is more self-serving than he appears to be. May later change to ISTP after more data. Interestingly, he has only one trait (F) in common with Deb, but her flair for intuitive planning (NJ) seems to reflect and compliment his impulsive SP behavior and disregard for rules and regulations.

Ramón (new character in season 3)--ESTP, feels a strong sense of duty to avenge his brother's death but is very short-sighted and can't seem to keep his anger and aggression in check. Often overbearing, controlling and insensitive (T) as he forces himself into the investigation, feeling increasingly helpless to do anything about it. Seems to believe he can simply convince the Miami PD to do a better job of finding Freebo--always the salesman.

Anton (new character in season 3)--ENTP, smooth and confident smart ass (hence the song he plays for her at the bar) who can't help but push the limits (i.e. lighting the joint when Deb threatens to arrest him.) Nonetheless he is impressed by her spirit and intrigued by her conviction, and begins to open up to her after their first unfortunately negative run-in.

Yuki (new character in season 3)--Not much data yet, seems pretty ENTx in her articulate, sardonic style of speech. We'll see what happens with her.

Rita's Mother--Stereotypical ESTJ female--traditional, authoritarian, stern and even sometimes cold (T), exceedingly controlling and easily offended when her value system is challenged, especially by one seen as "below" her level of authority.

Interesting that I only profiled 17 characters and came out with 11 different types as a result. I suspect that good character interaction results at least partially from having a wide variety of character types at work.

(By amusing coincidence Joey (ISFP) and Ramón (ESTP) came out right next to each other in the list. And who's the consummate SP?? Why, none other than Joey Ramone, of course!)

The missing types seem to be:

ISTJ--I'm sure there's some minor character that's ISTJ and isn't noticed, for just that reason. ;)
ESFJ--Eh, maybe that lady at work that Dexter gives donuts to?
ISTP--Not sure if such a character will come up; Joey may turn out to be one after all.
INTP--Interesting that there's not one on the Miami PD staff...could be a good addition for future seasons, maybe a rival blood spatter analyst?
INFP--Would probably play some kind of supportive character role as like...I dunno, a girl whose life Dexter accidentally saves after killing her asshole overbearing ESTJ boyfriend?? One can only hope ^_^

Thanks for the outline. This show is really awesome and I was trying to figure out what everyone could be.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Eh, I just read the book, so perhaps this isn't the right place, but from the book he's a definite INFJ.

Yes, one would be too quick to give him INTJ, because he seems to be logical. He goes on and on about himself being cold... but he's an unreliable narrator. It's too obvious in the book (more obvious than in the show?) that he's trying to convince himself of that. He's just trying to convince himself of that because he's afraid it might not be true...

The only types I've know to use 'logic' as such, more for comfort than as directly a tool, would be Fs, particularly INFJs. In fact, I've seen this a lot with INFJs... he's not developing into an INFJ, he always was one, just one who was trying to bury himself in 'T' -- this the appearance of being the caricature of an INTJ.

Yes. A thousand times, yes. I'm now fully convinced of his INFJitude.

MBTI Type
INxJ

Same here.

La Guerta's clothes and jewelry hurt my eyes. If it weren't for her personality, I'd say she was an S. That crap is flashy as hell.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
awww

Wow, I'm shocked. Someone actually DID care enough to read this.

Thank you for making my morning.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

We're both right. The series is about Dexter's evolution from an INTJ (killing because he needs to) into an INFJ (killing because it helps society.) His focus gradually becomes less self-centered.

Although, I must point out that he is really not a natural F. Note how he expects such constant, inexhaustible rationality from everyone and everything. This is most evident in his hilarious inner monologues during scenes with super-ISFJ Rita--we hear "this social ritual is utterly illogical!" just about every single time. (But it's still funny!)

His natural F function is total shit, but he learns to develop it as the series goes on.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unless someone makes a case for the childhood trauma forcing Dexter into some sort of stressed/inferior function personality, I think INT is just about a given. I'm not completely caught up (still in season 1), but I have seen him beat himself up over process (Te), which he rigidly adheres to, but not over theory (Ti). He seems to have a more developed personal value system (Fi) than a desire to adhere to a societal norm (Fe)*, and Fi as a tertiary trait would fit this well (as he matures, he becomes comfortable with his personal value system of accepting killing as fine, so long as the victims meet a minimum standard of badness). I'm therefore going with INTJ, but you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to convert me to INTP.

* Yes, I know there are vague, stereotypical views of these functions, but come on, we're talking about a lovable television serial killer; cut me some slack.

He's definitely not P. He is waaaaay too methodical and calculated for that. ("I'm a very neat monster!") He's not naturally particularly flexible in his beliefs, either--it takes a good bit of prodding to convince him that the Code of Harry isn't perfect, but once he realizes it he brilliantly reinvents the system in his own way (very NT.)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where do you all see any sign of N about him?

Whooooa, no offense but please read a book on MBTI. Dexter is outrageously N, if for no other reason than because he is so very very J. If he's J but not NJ, that forces him to be an SJ, and he's absolutely not a traditionalist in any sense of the word. (His adherence to Harry's code is a function of his J nature, not S. He has an obvious penchant for creatively testing the limits of any and all systems in his life, which is very very NT...he usually has a purpose beyond simple amusement for doing it, however, which is what separates him from INTPs.)

Reasons Dexter is extremely N:
Always future-oriented. Constantly wandering off into his own head, speculating on abstract relationships and possible connections between ideas. Very, very good at intuiting the probable results of his actions and predicting the actions of others. SJs follow the rules on principle; NTs follow the rules when it's convenient, but almost always end up breaking them sooner or later. Dexter weaves skillfully in and out of the system, abusing its rules to his advantage and ignoring them when he finds them insufficient. All of this is profoundly NT.

An xNxJ is far more likely to consider himself "above" the traditional societal systems of morality ("I can simply intuit my own moral code!") than an xSxJ, who is most often defined by these very societal customs that the INTJ has such a difficult time comprehending.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm actually reading C.G. Jung's book "Psychological Types" right now. And lots of what simulatedworld says makes perfect sense according to what I have gathered from the grand master himself.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And to whoever said ISTP, that's way, way off. Go read up on your functions =P

MBTI Type
INxJ
We're both right. The series is about Dexter's evolution from an INTJ (killing because he needs to) into an INFJ (killing because it helps society.) His focus gradually becomes less self-centered.

Although, I must point out that he is really not a natural F. Note how he expects such constant, inexhaustible rationality from everyone and everything. This is most evident in his hilarious inner monologues during scenes with super-ISFJ Rita--we hear "this social ritual is utterly illogical!" just about every single time. (But it's still funny!)

His natural F function is total shit, but he learns to develop it as the series goes on.

In the series, it kind of discredits Dexter to say he had to be an F, in order to have any feelings at all. Even INTJs, are capable of that at times. Having emotions on rare occasion wouldn't make him an INFJ. Merely, an INTJ that began development of his feeling function. Which does happen for NTs later in life.

Yet, in the books Dexter does come off like a stunted INFJ, as Haphazard suggested.