• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

redacted

^Yeah he's most likely a 5.

Definitely ISTJ though, I have no idea why people think N or F.

R

Riva

No offense to ISTJs and all compliments meant to INTJs in my following, short answer.

^Yeah he's most likely a 5.

Definitely ISTJ though, I have no idea why people think N or F.

Dexter is so very likable because he is an ultimate master planner.

His plans are impeccable and are out of the box.
Not only they are unique, they are carried out like clockwork, maybe even better.
(But this could be attributed to both INTJs and ISTJs.)
Not only is he a master planner, full of unique ideas which are carried out like clockwork, he is also a contingency planner.
If plan A doesn't work, he has a plan B, or plan C etc.

It's not that the above traits are limited to INTJs but INTJs out of all types are far far ahead of all other types when all those traits are put together.

And Dexter is absolutely certain of his ideas.
He is sooo very confident in himself (actually his ideas).
When it comes to feeling confident (of their thoughts, ideas etc) INTJs are far ahead of others.

Those are my simple points in favour of Dexter being INTJ.
Dexter is not a INTJ, he is a stereotypical INTJ, except for his murderous tendencies.

---

To disprove INFJ type claims.

He has absolutely no Fe. And his Fi is so strong he can't do a single task which he finds that goes against his belief system. That is strong Fi. Infact I have noticed after reading about it that Fi doms have this issue of physically not being able to do things which goes against their beliefs.

He certainly has Fi.

---

That leads us to INTJ.

---

Lazy short answer it was, but to the point.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ 6w5 sp/sx
The way he listens to his father's projection was determinant.

Enneagram 6:
Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support

Enneagram 5:
Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

I wished he was a 5w6 :(, but it sounds unlikely. Being useless is not a big worry for him.

Silveresque

ISTJ 6w5 sp/sx
The way he listens to his father's projection was determinant.

Enneagram 6:

Enneagram 5:

I wished he was a 5w6 :(, but it sounds unlikely. Being useless is not a big worry for him.

I agree with this. ISTJ 6w5 sp/sx. :yes:

Actually, I was just thinking about this yesterday, about how he's probably a 6, not a 5. The schizoid pd would make me think 5, but other than that he doesn't really have anything that could make him a 5. He doesn't seem to have the 5's fixation, and his father and the code are his (6-ish) "guidance".

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

Not only they are unique, they are carried out like clockwork, maybe even better.
Not only is he a master planner, full of unique ideas which are carried out like clockwork, he is also a contingency planner.

It's not that the above traits are limited to INTJs but INTJs out of all types are far far ahead of all other types when all those traits are put together.

When it comes to feeling confident (of their thoughts, ideas etc) INTJs are far ahead of others.

Dexter is not a INTJ, he is a stereotypical INTJ, except for his murderous tendencies.

---

To disprove INFJ type claims.

He has absolutely no Fe. And his Fi is so strong he can't do a single task which he finds that goes against his belief system. That is strong Fi. Infact I have noticed after reading about it that Fi doms have this issue of physically not being able to do things which goes against their beliefs.

He certainly has Fi.

---

That leads us to INTJ.

---

Lazy short answer it was, but to the point.

+1. I've always seen him as mastermind.

R

Riva

+1. I've always seen him as mastermind.

Thank you.

The combination of brilliant ideas with no loop holes carried out like clockwork with many contingency plans and always always sure of his own ideas screams INTJ :).

Not ISTJ.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The combination of brilliant ideas with no loop holes carried out like clockwork with many contingency plans and always always sure of his own ideas screams INTJ :).

Not ISTJ.
Agreed. Another is the way he understands what the other serial killers are going to do. Yes, you could say it takes one to know one, but how exactly does he know? These insights are pure Ni in my book (literally, since I've read all the novels but seen only 2-3 TV episodes).

P.S. I wonder if there is a difference in type between the book and TV portrayals???

R

Riva

Agreed. Another is the way he understands what the other serial killers are going to do. Yes, you could say it takes one to know one, but how exactly does he know? These insights are pure Ni in my book (literally, since I've read all the novels but seen only 2-3 TV episodes).

P.S. I wonder if there is a difference in type between the book and TV portrayals???

Ni Fi actually.

I've noticed that INTJs are excellent intention readers.
They can read the intentions behind the actions of others.
This I believe is Ni Te.
They guess and guess and guess and guess until they arrive at the correct conclusion (or close enough).
having 3 INTJ best friends who pour their thoughts out when alone with me have made me realize how much aware they are of their gut instinct.
They are so much in touch of it they speak it out loud in their heads, sometimes to others.
Fascinating!

But to the best of my knowledge unless we are government detectives who are authorized to lift every stone to look for clues we would never be able to collect all information. Therefore never arrive at the correct intentions behind the actions. very rarely we do.

But if one has well developed Fi (like one INTJ I know from RL) one could stop depending on the facts and start reading the people.
I believe this is what Dexter does.

Ni Fi - To read
Ni - To plan
Te - To carry out his plans
Se - To enjoy cutting people up.

redacted

How is any of that N? Contingency planning is a main strength of ISTJs.

I'll give you that sometimes he thinks of unique plans, but that's because he's smart, not because he's N. He can think multiple steps ahead and plans accordingly.

So Dexter is confident and INTJs are confident, therefore Dexter is INTJ?

I've found the ISTJs in my life to be extremely confident, especially in their contingency plans. They seem to miss no detail at all -- they're one of the most if not the most thorough type.

I just don't see the Ni whatsoever. When is he abstract? Besides the Brother Sam thing this season, he just isn't interested... and it seemed like this season was the first time he even thought about God, and that's only after seeing the religious murders.

The narrating is also super S.

Dexter in the books may actually be INTJ. He's completely different in the show.

R

Riva

I was trying my best to keep the ISTJs out of the argument by providing proof that he is INTJ instead of telling why he is not ISTJ.

But to answer your questions I have to do just that.

But in my experience once a mind is set no matter how well the argument is constructed how well the points are provided and facts given, the mind would not change.

The stronger the argument the more the opponent rebels to not accept ;).

But I shall try.

How is any of that N? Contingency planning is a main strength of ISTJs.

Contingency planning is the main strength of INTJs than it is of any other MBTI type. Believe me that is one of their strongest points.

The way an ISTJ contingency plans and a way INTJ does is different. This is going to be hard to explain. And I have to go catch some sleep so I will have to give a quicky here.

Sorry ISTJs....

ISTJs are contingency planners in a sense that they plan for safety.

INTJs are risk takers. (Not as much as ENTPs of course) but are extreme risk takers.
This is rarely apparent because they look so calm and in control.
They have risky ideas in their minds, make plans to realize them, make contingency plans and carry out their plans.
never for a moment they apear spontenious. that is because they are not.
They have already planned and have also made contingency plans.
Huh, nothing could go wrong the INTJ think.
'My plan is brilliant and if it doesn't work, if some unforseen circumstances arise i have the bases covered becase, huh I have more plans'
Thinks the INTJ.

ISTJ - plans for safety
INTJ – Plans to realize make their risky ideas not risky at all.

I'll give you that sometimes he thinks of unique plans, but that's because he's smart, not because he's N. He can think multiple steps ahead and plans accordingly.

That screams INTJ. Infact it screams N. But to keep the argument on point will say it screams INTJ.

To make steps (many many steps in one's head one has to be the type of person who is lost in his own head and confident enough to realize these/believe in these without past experiences. That is N. S types would look for the external. N types would look in.

So Dexter is confident and INTJs are confident, therefore Dexter is INTJ?
I never said that.

I've found the ISTJs in my life to be extremely confident, especially in their contingency plans. They seem to miss no detail at all -- they're one of the most if not the most thorough type.

Again we are back to the point I discussed above. ISTJs make safety plans. INTJs make risky plans come to life. Those two types cannot be compared.

I just don't see the Ni whatsoever. When is he abstract? Besides the Brother Sam thing this season, he just isn't interested... and it seemed like this season was the first time he even thought about God, and that's only after seeing the religious murders.

I haven’t watched thw whole series and hasn’t come to this part.

The narrating is also super S.

Which is catchy and fun.

Thw show would be quite boring if he goes on and on and on and on and on and on as to why he is who he is and why he does what he does etc.
S type narrations are used for a bit of comical touch for the show, you must have noticed.
His abstract thoughts are kept away from us 9thank God) to prevent the show from getting a monotonous feeling to it.

Dexter in the books may actually be INTJ. He's completely different in the show.

Never have I read the book.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ - plans for safety
INTJ – Plans to realize make their risky ideas not risky at all.
This is consistent with my experience. I know quite a few ISTJs, and they tend to be much more risk-averse than the various NTs I know.. It also highlights the source of their confidence. ISTJ confidence rests on experience and knowledge; they can handle what's coming because they have seen or done it before, or at least trained well for it. INTJ confidence rests on vision and strategy; they can handle things because they have already almost forseen it. The first is rooted in past events (Si+Te), the second in future events (Ni + Fe). The ISTJ mitigates risk by keeping his feet firmly planted on the ground; the INTJ by making himself some wings.

At least in the books, Dexter's Internal thoughts are very Ni-based. They usually consist on his very skewed perspective of common social and workplace situations, and are quite refreshing, notwithstanding the generally morbid context.

(Riva: you are missing out. Try the books, at least the first.)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
his reasons for action and planning come off as INTJ but his personality and how he interacts with other people comes off as ISTJ.

R

Riva

This is consistent with my experience. I know quite a few ISTJs, and they tend to be much more risk-averse than the various NTs I know.. It also highlights the source of their confidence. ISTJ confidence rests on experience and knowledge; they can handle what's coming because they have seen or done it before, or at least trained well for it. INTJ confidence rests on vision and strategy; they can handle things because they have already almost forseen it. The first is rooted in past events (Si+Te), the second in future events (Ni + Fe). The ISTJ mitigates risk by keeping his feet firmly planted on the ground; the INTJ by making himself some wings.

ISTJ contingency planning - 'It is going to rain, lets take an umbrella.'

Sorry ISTJs. What I am trying to say is their planning relies heavily on experience as explained by Coriolis.

True that. INTJs are extreme risk takers. But they do not look like the risk taking type since they have all the areas covered (due to Ni being able to see what is coming). Ni is also future oriented (visionary). And Te makes everything runs like clockwork.

Dexter is a master mind planner. And every day, day in day out he takes major risks. If he was an ISTJ he would read the paper when the sun goes down. Or hang out at the bar (maybe with a few of his friends).

his reasons for action and planning come off as INTJ but his personality and how he interacts with other people comes off as ISTJ.

On the contrary his interactions are extremely INTJish.
He is a gigantic nerd and a weirdo and people around him all seems to have this opinion and settled down that he is weird and an alien.
In fact he gives such a weird vibe he was heavily questioned and even stalked by a former colleague.

ISTJs are aloof but never weird.

Ghostwheel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Five
On the contrary his interactions are extremely INTJish.
He is a gigantic nerd and a weirdo and people around him all seems to have this opinion and settled down that he is weird and an alien.
In fact he gives such a weird vibe he was heavily questioned and even stalked by a former colleague.

ISTJs are aloof but never weird.

He's weird and alien not because of Ni, but because as a psychopath he truly is alien.

We INTJs may worry about our difficulty connecting with people, yes, and Dexter has difficulty connecting too. But my difficulty comes from my INTJ-ness. His comes from psychopathy.

R

Riva

He's weird and alien not because of Ni, but because as a psychopath he truly is alien.

We INTJs may worry about our difficulty connecting with people, yes, and Dexter has difficulty connecting too. But my difficulty comes from my INTJ-ness. His comes from psychopathy.

I am not entriely sure whether he is indeed a psychopath. i have not read the books so I am not sure. Anyway, we should do a comparative analysis to find out whether Dexter is a psychopath.

Can you remember the 2nd season episode in which he kills a car salesman? Now that car salesman is a stereotypical psychopath. Psychopaths have one thing in common, it is that they are pathological liars. It is so easy for them to lie. Even at the expense of getting caught later. But they will lie again. Lie and lie again. Now that's a psychopath.

Normal people find it hard to lie, unless it had been induced externally such as in sociopaths or self induced due to personal gain and this becoming a habit of them. Psychopaths are self induced liars. That being said i should mention that not all compulsive liars are psychopaths as I gave evidence above, but psychopaths find it easier to lie.

Psychopaths are more concerned about immediate personal gain. This needs trumps their desire to hold relationships with others. So lying is easier and if the relationship is broken they wouldn't care less since they do not have a natural need to bond. Normal people have questions in the back of the head as to what is nore important? the personal gain or the long term relationship (or functioning as a normal person in society). A sociopath may learn to throw a blind eye and ....... okay lets not get there.

The point I am trying to make is whether Dexter truly is a psychopath or a person who has extreme issues bonding with people around him. And he was trained to be a killer by his own father. Anyway this discussion would only prolong the efforts to arriving at a conclusion as to What MBTI Type Dexter Is?

:)

G

Ginkgo

Dexter: ISTJ 3w2 Sp/Sx

I don't think that Dexter is overly concerned about how he comes across to others. Surely, he masquerades, but it's easy enough for him to calculate other matters in his mind as he does it - suggesting that blending in is second nature to him. I think he perceives the consequences of his actions like a 6 would, and holds the suspicion (which is usually warranted) of a 6. Plus, ISTJ E3 seems like it would be an uncommon permutation.

Blanchard

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
When he is playing, he is the beautifoul ENFP, but his true personality is INTx

R

Riva

dexter morgan is ISTP, so i say that's a good vote.

yes he is.
don't argue with me, guys. i know what i'm talking about.

Please explain.

Edit -

You don't have to. You've already made your explanations.

well, i just watched the entire series and i have no idea why anyone everyone thinks he's an N.

why?
i don't get it.
he makes a few intuitive insights [like 2 per season...], but as i remember, they are derived entirely from his surroundings, and for the sole purpose of accommodating them.
i.e. knowing where to go to save Deb when she got grabbed up by Rudy.
i don't remember which episodes they were in so i have an excuse to watch the whole series again :)

anyway, i'm absolutely convinced of ISTJ.
i don't even see how there's a question.

i know you guys like to think that the S_Js are all non-risk takers by virtue of security-blanket Si, and that we can't think of Dexter as an S_J accordingly, but it's just not the case.

actually, Thinking is more security oriented than either Sensing faculty.
measures of care and precision [both risk-reducing actions] are taken solely by Judging faculties - Feeling tends not to yield especially reliable results, at least where precision is concerned [care on the other hand...], often being superstitious or overwhelmed by irrelevant information its user can't [or refuses to] remove from the equation.

Sensing and iNtuition, by contrast usually generate more situations wherein risk is inevitable, or simply require the individual to take a risk.

when a perception faculty plays the lead in one's psychological habits [dexter, being an undisputed I__J type, with perception a favorite of his] the compulsion to collect data is high.
obviously... if it weren't, then that means something else leads one's psychology.

this lust for information [be it intellectual, or not... often speaking about information gathering people think that only reflects academic curiosity, but it's not in the case of typology] causes the individual to deny themselves the confidence of their judgements [those risk-reducing judgements] in search of more.

the drug user who wants to see just how many pills he can take.
the musician who wants to see how it would sound if he added the next harmony.
the writer who gets lost in his own stories.
the killer who wants to see blood as often as he can.

these are all the profiles of "non-risk taking" S_Js.
the last one is dexter's profile.

he wants to see blood.
he is compelled. and instead of wanting to experience variety as is often the habit of the Se type, dexter just wants to perceive blood and all that blood is.

very simple.
very ISTJ.

we can't rule out ISTJ just because of how dangerous the lust for his particular perception is.

and how do you explain the persistent fantasies of Dexter arguing/talking with Harry?
when dexter's code, derived via Te* is in question, he grapples with it in a concrete way: a discussion with ol' Harry. a heart to heart between son n' pop.
rather than by some abstraction [usually resulting in bending of the rules, due to the inevitably ambiguous nature of language], dexter deals with these things concretely.

by the way, that's the reason INTJs are said to have the freedom, psychologically speaking, that ISTJs don't have when it comes to breaking the rules or defying authority etc.
in that case, it's implicit vs. explicit.

*oriented to Harry's methods and not his sense of ethics for keeping Dexter's bloodlust under [plastic] wraps, unchanged, yet always challenged by the environmental demands and Dexter's own ambitions.

but do go on. impress me with a case proving INTJ/INFJ.