• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dexter

Sunny Ghost

He's damaged so it's hard to say, but either way he is SO J. I originally thought INTJ, but somebody theorized INFJ which is an idea that intrigues me. He definitely has a people-oriented ethic and outlook. I can see it.
not an F. he is always going on about how he doesn't have feelings and etc. i mean, obviously, he does, but he doesn't favor this aspect of himself. he's definitely an INTJ.

Unless someone makes a case for the childhood trauma forcing Dexter into some sort of stressed/inferior function personality, I think INT is just about a given. I'm not completely caught up (still in season 1), but I have seen him beat himself up over process (Te), which he rigidly adheres to, but not over theory (Ti). He seems to have a more developed personal value system (Fi) than a desire to adhere to a societal norm (Fe)*, and Fi as a tertiary trait would fit this well (as he matures, he becomes comfortable with his personal value system of accepting killing as fine, so long as the victims meet a minimum standard of badness). I'm therefore going with INTJ, but you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to convert me to INTP.

* Yes, I know there are vague, stereotypical views of these functions, but come on, we're talking about a lovable television serial killer; cut me some slack.
i agree with you... more tertiary Fi than having Fe. and more Te than Ti, as well.

Frank Lundy - INTJ (He prefers his peace and quiet, see how he always takes time alone for his sandwich. Lundy differs from Dexter in that his Introversion is not as extreme as Dexter, allowing him to freely exercise charisma when the opportunity demands it.)

Angel Batista - ESFP (I have no idea how anyone could possibly call him an IxPx anything.)

Maria LaGuerta - ESTJ (She's hard, she's rigid, she hates ENFP Debra Morgan, she directs the correct way while devoid of flashes of genius.)

Vincent Masouka - XXXX (How can we type Masouka, when he doesn't really know himself? The character thrives on being the court jester and while this in a normal case would point to an ExTP, his clear fragility and need to be accepted through these measures suggests another type, maybe an F. Masouka spends just as much time trying to be someone else as Dexter does, only we know how Dexter really is.)

Lundy-I agree... INTJ... though with him, i might be able to see INTP as well.

Deb-ESFP. you can't persuade me other wise. i originally thought ESTP for her, but realized that is more of the persona she try's to give off... being a hard ass and strong... perhaps due to influence from the father and working in the police force... but she's much more feeling oriented. and she's much more Se than Ne.

Lila-ENFP. you can't persuade me other wise on her, either. she's pretty picturesque unhealthy and manipulative ENFP. greatly relies on Ne, no doubt about that. but she's much more impulsive and unstable due to her emotions... auxiliary Fi. no tertiary Fe visible, nor Ti, for that matter.

Masouka-strikes me as an ENTP. he even has the sense of humor of one, as well... lots of perverted joking.

Angel-i think i'd go with ESTJ... ExxJ for certain. i could consider ESFJ and ENFJ as well. Fe seems possible.

Rita-i'm torn... introverted for sure. at first, i thought ISFJ... but i guess it's always hard when someone is playing the role of mom to think otherwise. in the episodes where her mom comes to visit, i thought i saw a bit of ISFP. she just strikes me more as an S than an N. however, i could see INFJ possibly. the mother was most definitely ESxJ, and she definitely was in opposition to her mother's outlook, and a slight bit of a push over as well. but eventually held a firm ground against her, which i thought showed Fi.

Maria-ESxJ. most likely ESTJ, i think.

Doakes-i can agree with ESTP. he's sort of a lone wolf though... however that could be due to certain life circumstances.... but ISTP might be possible. i was originally thinking ISTJ for him, however.

Sunny Ghost

My notes say INFJ. How anyone could see him as ST is beyond me.

I'm absolutely certain he's an N. He's always (darkly) daydreaming, caught up in his own little web of thoughts. Most of the cops are bound to Sensors, so see how they notice completely different things about cases than Dexter does. Sensoring - being present and grounded is what 'drains' his battery. Anytime he hasn't gotten time to himself and his projects, he loses his attention to details and slips up. He quite literraly becomes clumsier, which also points toward N.

Introvert - he prefers to work alone, recharges his batteries with solo projects. Drains his batteries when putting on his "mask" and attempting to connect with people.

Judger - a neat freak, very punctual, very precise, believes in control.

Feeler - were Dexter a Thinker, he wouldn't even consider himself a monster. All he talks about is how he has no feelings and how he isn't human, and it's getting ever clearer that he's just telling himself these things, and he's in denial. He would like to be a Thinker, because then he might not have feelings distract him. The truth is, he is a romantic. If that daydream about him being some rogueish, cloaked vigilante didn't just scream Idealist, I don't know what does. He wants to be an NT, because being an NF seems to be his achilles' heel. It could also be his greatest strength (depending on how well the rest of the show is written).

For the sake of contrast his brother Brian is the clear Thinker, and he doesn't have -any- of Dexter's emotional complications.

So I'm convinced Dexter is INFJ aka "the protector".
Alright... you convinced me.

How Lila keeps getting typed ESTP blows my mind. And same with Deb being an ENFP.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
All I can say is, he definitely makes some serious transitions throughout the series. He is clearly not the same person he was at the beginning of the story.

Within

Permabanned
I used to find that video when a bear was trying to keep balance on a ball entertaining, but then I found this thread.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Dexter is INTJ, he has a strong ethics system to overcompensate his lack of emotion, without that he would have no purpose, he'd just be a monster.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Dexter? From Dexter's Laboratory, the cartoon?

I'm guessing INTJ.

Some other people have said INFJ... umm, well, I can see why they'd say it, but Dexter seems more Te than Ti to me. He doesn't seem INFJ for the same reason he doesn't seem INTP.

Sunny Ghost

Dexter is INTJ, he has a strong ethics system to overcompensate his lack of emotion, without that he would have no purpose, he'd just be a monster.
yeah... and his whole considering himself a monster thing came about because that's what his dad called him.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lack of emotion does not equal T
Emotion does not equal F

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ethics does not equal F. He does things very strategically, and I don't think INFJs are strategic planners.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Except they're not his ethics; They're his foster father's.

When Dexter does express his own emotions, it comes out in a supressed Fe way.

Illmatic

Dexter is most likely an INFJ.

I and J are undebatable.

N is also almost certain, lives in his own word.

I think he's a 50/50 T and a F with F being superior.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say ISTJ 6w5/5w6 self preservation. He is ridiculously Si. Why is he an N, because of his semi-poetic selfloathing internal monologues?

R

Riva

Just curious why you guys think INTP. He's so methodical and routine-oriented and locked into his rituals, he seems like a clear J to me. He's trying to organize the world in his "take out the trash" quest, and he adheres to his father's "code" over his own minute-to-minute thinking.

One does not have to be a J to desire to organize the world around them, be methodical and locked in to rituals.

Ti doms in fact would enjoy this. This includes certain ISTPs who are in Ti Ni loops.

I believe Dexter is an INTx.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Dexter is more a form of dispressed ESTJ.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dexter: ISTJ 3w2 Sp/Sx
I'd say ISTJ 6w5/5w6 self preservation. He is ridiculously Si.
Yeah, I agree with this. He could be INTJ -- because sometimes he makes decisions that are so based on vague impressions and gut reactions that they might be more likely Ni/Fi than Si/Fi. So... ISTJ with high N.

Ghostwheel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Five
I just bought the first four seasons on DVD. I'm now midway through the second season.

I'm currently seeing him as ISTJ.