• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dr. Phil - ESTJ

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry, don't have time to read your link at the moment. Maybe I will later. I've just pegged him as ENTJ for many years now. I like to believe I know an N when I hear them speak, and I do believe him to be an N. I've known many ESTJ's in my day and he doesn't seem S to me at all. For now, that'll have to be the extent of my "argument". :D

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
ENTJ
  1. Phil McGraw went into psychology largely because of family pressure. It was a business decision.
  2. Even with a PhD and family backing, Phil was a terrible therapist. Instead of hanging onto poor vocational choice, he quit his counseling practice.*
  3. Phil became a successful jury consultant. He was so good that Oprah hired him to help her prepare for her testimony in the 1998 National Cattlemen's Beef Association lawsuit.
I can see an ESTJ making the first decision but Si would never allow them to break away from family expectations. No way could Te-Si make a fortune in an emerging field like litigation consulting.

* just the idea of Dr. Phil doing individual therapy (without an audience) is hysterically funny. I would love to find a first hand account of the experience from a former patient. It must have been terrifying. :shocking:

A

Anew Leaf

I have always thought of him as an ENTJ.

1- My intuition pegs him as an NT
2- He became so popular in part because his ideas and manners are so "different" from the norm.
3- He seems to be motivated by a desire to get people to learn how to help themselves.
4- He isn't cruel but he's not interested in sugar coating hard facts for people.
5- I actually saw a segment where he did individual counseling for one of his "Dr Phil families. The girl was super delusional about herself, and it was very interesting watching him work. He would talk to the camera by himself in separate segments explaining his strategy for getting her to work on herself.

The S-N preference has always been the hardest one for me to decipher. :)

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
interesting that all of you argue that he is ENTJ. ill be sure to revise my attitude then.

however, did any of you read my post?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I can see an ESTJ making the first decision but Si would never allow them to break away from family expectations. No way could Te-Si make a fortune in an emerging field like litigation consulting.

Um, why not? Do you really think that no SJ has ever "broken family expectations?" If you think this is true, then you have a very poor understanding of typology.

I agree with ESTJ.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have officially read your post. And I disagree. No harm in that, right? I think he cuts to the chase because he's a J. He wants results. He wants to take action, he wants people to commit to changing, etc. I believe he's N because he's constantly using analogies to get his point across and it's very apparent to me (at least in my own little convoluted world) that he reads deeply into what people say - he "reads between the lines". He says stuff like, "We need to get to the root of the problem, we need to understand what's going on inside that brain of yours, what's going on underneath the facade." The ESTJ's I know don't talk about facades and "what's going on underneath".

Another reason - this is just based on my own human experience. The ESTJ's I've known aren't interested in "Dr. Phil mumbo jumbo". I know one that said, "Dr. Phil is gay. He's weird."

But, who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. :shrug:

A

Anew Leaf

interesting that all of you argue that he is ENTJ. ill be sure to revise my attitude then.

however, did any of you read my post?

I did :).

For me it comes down to a gut feeling on him. I watched him a lot with my mom. Perhaps he is close on the N-S scale?

On the abstractedness part.... My dad is an INTP and when I talk to him about my problems he will focus on practicality and the facts at hand. I am a noobie on the functions.... But what is a entjs function preference? Are they a Te?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
I have officially read your post. And I disagree. No harm in that, right?

none at all. this is what i am looking for. we agree about the rules by which to type someone but we appear to differ over the empirical data avaliable.

i read some pages of his book - - I found it all very grounded.

yes ENTJ is Te/ Ni/ Se/ Fi
ESTJ is Te/ Si/ Ne/ Fi

KDude

ENTJ

1. I can see an ESTJ making the first decision but Si would never allow them to break away from family expectations. No way could Te-Si make a fortune in an emerging field like litigation consulting.

1. That's very Keirseyan of you. I know one ESTJ who's made a lot of cash by meticulously cultivating weed in his attic (he applies the same Te to golf and working as a garden variety middle manager btw), and another who can't even drive at the moment, because he's a careless fool with a DWI charge. Their mother doesn't approve. This notion of SJ traditionalism needs to be refined like a motherfucker.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
none at all. this is what i am looking for. we agree about the rules by which to type someone but we appear to differ over the empirical data avaliable.

i read some pages of his book - - I found it all very grounded.

yes ENTJ is Te/ Ni/ Se/ Fi
ESTJ is Te/ Si/ Ne/ Fi

I have a Dr. Phil book on my shelf entitled "Love Smart: Find the One You Want, Fix the One You Got". Maybe he's ISFJ? :solidarity: