• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Psycho Type?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The one where he is staring at himself in the mirror while he's, edit: having sex with that girl?

Where he is basically getting off on watching himself get off?

Yeah, I lol at that. Most sex scenes in mainstream movies are corny; that one is hilarious.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, you kid.

I thought you really liked it.

And believe you me, I would not have judged, sexuality is a fascinating subject to/for me.

What turns people on and why, (myself included), really does pique my interest.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh, you kid.

I thought you really liked it.

And believe you me, I would not have judged, sexuality is a fascinating subject to/for me.

What turns people on and why, (myself included), really does pique my interest.

No! I am not, uh, being an impure_mercury while watching that scene. :D I just like that they played up the narcissism so OTT while it being believable in the context of the story. I am trying to think of actual hot sex scenes in films. Um. . . under the blanket in Enemy at the Gates? Jason's Lyric? I found Monster's Ball to be simultaneously sexy and disturbing.

P.S. Weirdest sex scene ever? Joe Pesci, Kevin Bacon, and Tommy Lee Jones having gay costume/sex party in JFK.

B

ByMySword

he's not an F at all. everyone has feelings. he's completely distraught. i think the uncontrolled nature of his killings come from auxiliary Fi.

haven't you never seen a T lose control? it's even scarier because they're less conscious of their feelings.

Everyone has thoughts and logic as well. lol.

I really feel that Patrick Bateman is a fucked-up INFJ who masks himself as an INTJ. To the world around him, he appears cool and collected. He strives for perfection, and thinks things through before acting.

The Patrick Bateman inside is conflicted and constantly driven by his emotions to an unhealthy level. He is not in control of his actions at all and has sudden outbursts of rage. He has them so often, I highly doubt that he's an INTJ. In fact, he even notes their increase.

I would say that I agree the line is very thin, and the reason for this is because of his mental disorder, obviously. But judging from how I am as an INFJ, I can relate to him in a number of ways. Masking myself as an INTJ is one of them. Outside, I can keep cool and collected when the need calls for it, but inside I'm a whirlwind of thought and emotion. Only my closest friends know how I truly am. Also, I'm a perfectionist like you wouldn't believe. I also constantly want to fit in, just like Bateman does. Ugh!!! I'll try not to mention too many of my flaws.

Inside, I'm constantly conflicted between what society says I should be, what I want to be, and what I actually am. It drives me insane. LMFAO. :devil:

So to me its not what he presents to the public, but what he is inside. The movie and the book make several references to the differences between how he presents himself and how he really is. If I recall correctly, in the book he constantly engages himself in things that will evoke emotion. Like watching Oprah.

There are a thousand little aspects to his personality that I can relate to. Suffice to say that Bret Easton Ellis is a literary genious. :D

Last edited:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
old thread being resurrected.

well the most obvious type to have issues with:

-narcissism
-horrible control over inferior Feelings

would be an Enneagram 8 ... but im not sure of his enneagram.

i think guessing his enneagram and then deducing his type from that, would be the best move.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had someone tell me that he thought I was going to ax him in the face after I went into a long rant about Genesis. Apparently, I share quite a number of superficial elements with Patrick Bateman. He only feels "greed and disgust," though. I am way too emotional to be as robotic as he is. I've been called a sociopath before, too. What types escape into extremely lucid, vivid dreams?

Everybody in this thread is way off, imho.

Bateman is a classic case of ESFJ with Narcissistic Personality Disorder...his secondary Si doesn't work so he has no sense of grounding to the real world and no ability to internally consider that there might be anything wrong with him.

You get Fe+Ne. The dominant Fe is obvious in his absolute obsession over public image and the ludicrous insecurity that results only from total overdependence upon external sources of psychological validation (this happens because he has two extroverted functions running the show.)

Tertiary Ne manifests itself in terms of his murder fantasies throughout the entire novel. He is so brutally insecure that fantasizing about murdering the people with stronger public image than his is the only way he can feel secure again.

Read the book again looking for Fe+Ne and I think it's very obvious he's just an ESFJ with horrific NPD.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Clearly IxTJ. I'm thinking InTJ because I get more Ni than Si from him.

Check it out - dominant Ni goes into lucid fantasies of him going on murder sprees that he does not even know if he committed or not. Then again, of course you have scenes where he delves into textures (business cards) his various lotions (morning scene) he can remember all his appointments without writing them down (office scene) - this does point to Si, buttttt...I'm going to say that an ISTJ is probably not going to be unable to distinguish between reality and fantasy like that (okay, yes, he is psycho, but come on). An Si would be more likely to trace back and think how/why those may (not) have occurred, but he's in a daze so that we do not even know if he did them or not. And okay, he obsessively knows all about his favorite bands, but that might be a Te thing too???

Auxiliary Te to boot - that regimen in the morning? His plans on how to carry out his murders that may or may not have happened? The drive to succeed and be better (card scene, where he nearly freaks out because his business card is not cool enough). Okay, you could argue Fe with his ability to charm the hell out of the ladies and be polite when controlled, and he 'just wants to fit in.' But nah, Te is much stronger.

Tertiary Fi - he hates his surroundings, the senselessness, the debauchery, faces without names, no one with a backbone. He kills 'on the spur of the moment,' but does he really? Then why does he spare the secretary? It reminds me of Silence of the Lambs, where Hannibal does not kill Starling...sort of...though it does have a slightly different dynamic.

Inferior Se - enough to take advantage and kill spontaneously. Enough to react to situations with ease. To deal with things as they come. However, it's a shadow function - you only see it in him under stress (interrogation, killings). Otherwise he's very detailed, very deliberate, very planned.

Sol_

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Did not typed character, actor's type is ISTJ.

redacted

I still think ISTJ after watching again (and my previous post was a year and a half old).

I also agree with simworld's NPD claim.

EDIT: I was referring to the movie; I have no idea what I'd think if I read the book.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just have to comment...one of my favorite movies of all time.:heart:

Are you typing him before or after his breakdown? As he is a psychopath and is fitting in with the rest of the world. So his type isn't really known.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Narcissistic Personality Disorder

* Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
* Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
* Has feelings of self-importance
* Exaggerates achievements and talents
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
* Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
* Requires constant attention and admiration
* Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
* Has obsessive self-interest
* Pursues mainly selfish goals

How is he anything but an ESTP

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ok, I'd agree with Ni, definately. But I can't agree with the INTJ and here's why:

While he does exploit and use people, he is constantly driven by his emotions. His killings are random and uncontrolled. Not very INTJ like IMO.

Like I said, I'm also taking things from the book as well. He is most definetaly and I because he's constantly talking about how he's not really there when he's around people. He's completely inside and somewhere else. So that to me represents Ni as well.

Other than that, I would have said an E, but he seems so into himself. As I said earlier, if I wanted an example of an INTJ, I would say Hannibal. And don't forget, INFJs can mimic thinking types, so you can't always know. Hannibal would be listed as a sociopath who kills because he enjoys killing. Pat Bateman is a psychopath. Also, Bateman is conflicted within himself. He enjoys killing but at the same time tries to turn himself in. Another INFJ trait IMO.

But comparing and contrasting the two, I would still list Pat Bateman as an INFJ. But one that is very distressed and has a dark nature. I mean, come on, he is the American Psycho. lol

And if you still don't see him as an F......check out the romantic side of Patrick Bateman.

YouTube - American Psycho Redux

I long speculated that Patrick Bateman was an evil INFJ. He lost his ability to feel empathy for people because the positive F in him is dead, all he has left is anger and disgust. His rage isnt NT rage, its hurt NF rage.

His constant self introspection, the stuff he says about not being there, I HAVE FELT THAT I think all Ni doms have at some point. We arent there, we are controlling our body through a video console, there is a level of detachment. Of course I am still connected to my feelings the positive ones I mean. The 1 or 2 times I have ever lost control and became violent, my outbreaks were a lot like Batemans, luckily I only smashed furniture and not people.

I also sense Ti in Bateman, he does exactly to his social groups what I do to mine, he is an entity, I feel the same way, this is all Ni and Ti. He tries to figure out how to work and use his social life like a system, he is only trying to win it because he is stuck in it and he is arrogant.

E

Epiphany

Perfect casting! :angry:

[YOUTUBE="Uxj0cFz-3cw"]Christian Bale Rant[/YOUTUBE]

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
INTJ. Let's study this from a functional perspective, shall we? He's obviously a very emotional character, there's no question about this. However, does his emotionality fit the Fe mold? The answer would be a resounding "no." He is clearly not in tune with the feelings of others - this is the basis behind his entire need to wear a social "mask." He is, however, very in tune with his own feelings. Rather than displaying Fe, he displays very strong Fi and Te. This conclusively rules INFJ out as an option. Moreover, he does display Ni and Se, with very little Ne or Si. This leaves the only available options to be INTJ, ENTJ, ISFP, and ESFP. Based on his general demeanor and Ni-driven internal monologues, dislike of social contact, as well as the fact that he's far too Fi for it to be his inferior and only relies on Se under stress, I would say he's rather clearly INTJ.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
INTJ. Let's study this from a functional perspective, shall we? He's obviously a very emotional character, there's no question about this. However, does his emotionality fit the Fe mold? The answer would be a resounding "no." He is clearly not in tune with the feelings of others - this is the basis behind his entire need to wear a social "mask." He is, however, very in tune with his own feelings. Rather than displaying Fe, he displays very strong Fi and Te. This conclusively rules INFJ out as an option. Moreover, he does display Ni and Se, with very little Ne or Si. This leaves the only available options to be INTJ, ENTJ, ISFP, and ESFP. Based on his general demeanor and Ni-driven internal monologues, dislike of social contact, as well as the fact that he's far too Fi for it to be his inferior and only relies on Se under stress, I would say he's rather clearly INTJ.

He is not INTJ, notice how he needs to be around people before he escapes to be alone, that's some form of destroyed Fe.

He is definitely Ni driven, but he is not an INTJ, as you said, he is highly emotional, even if the emotions are mostly anger and anxiety.

I didnt notice much Te, but that his energies are wrapped up in dealing with other people,

I see Ni, weak or distorted Fe and Ti and Se.

Hes an INFJ.

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
He is not INTJ, notice how he needs to be around people before he escapes to be alone, that's some form of destroyed Fe.

He is definitely Ni driven, but he is not an INTJ, as you said, he is highly emotional, even if the emotions are mostly anger and anxiety.

I didnt notice much Te, but that his energies are wrapped up in dealing with other people,

I see Ni, weak or distorted Fe and Ti and Se.

Hes an INFJ.

Wrong. Emotionality does not necessarily equate with being an F type at all - INTJs do have a tertiary feeling function, you know. They are not robots. If one fits the INTJ functions and functional order, he or she is by definition an INTJ, no matter how strong the particular INTJ's Fi is.

Patrick Bateman's feeling takes the form of Fi, understanding of his own emotions, rather than Fe, understanding of the emotions of others. He also displays large degrees of Te in his rigid, organized, segmented schedule. By contrast, he does not display any Fe or Ti - he does not show connectiveness with the emotions of others (Fe), nor does he show fine-tuning, distinction, or deduction (Ti).

Also, do show how he supposedly "needs to be around people before he escapes to be alone." His only pleasure from any sort of interaction seems to be sadistic delight in murdering people. If he were indeed energized by social interaction (which I see no sign of myself), do note additionally that this would not make him an Fe type by necessity - rather, by definition, it would make him an extrovert. Being energized by social interaction is the very definition of extroversion, but is no part of the definition of Fe.