• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament and Income

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer: this is not a thread for type hating. please do remember that correlation does not equal causation. that being said, if your political correctness prevents you seeing the possibility of a correlation at all, please do not comment. for those of you willing to discuss this topic without bias, welcome :laugh:

my guess is that higher income is loosely correlated with:
MBTI: TJs
Enneagram: 8s and 3s
Instinctual Variants: self preservation (actually, I think this is probably the most significant correlation)
4 Humours: choleric (if this is even a viable personality model, I really don't think it is)

what are your thoughts on temperament/income correlations?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Depends what kind of job you're talking about, there are musicians and actors out there who roll in a bit, many of them would be SPs.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm gonna have to take issue with the sp subtype thing. I'd say sp-doms seek a stable income, whereas so- or sx- doms might be willing to take risks more often and achieve bigger - if slightly more sporadic and fluctuating - monetary gain. Whaddya think?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disclaimer: this is not a thread for type hating. please do remember that correlation does not equal causation. that being said, if your political correctness prevents you seeing the possibility of a correlation at all, please do not comment. for those of you willing to discuss this topic without bias, welcome :laugh:

Instinctual Variants: self preservation (actually, I think this is probably the most significant correlation)
4 Humours: choleric (if this is even a viable personality model, I really don't think it is)

There's actual stats out there on type and income, I think there's another thread about it. ENTJ's make the most as a group I think. (Makes sense.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Temperament usually refers to IP IJ EP EJ, just ftr. I'd guess EJs might be those with the average highest income, but IP and EP are likely overrepresented in higher quantiles, since they're usually more risk-taking.

There's actual stats out there on type and income, I think there's another thread about it. ENTJ's make the most as a group I think. (Makes sense.)

If I remember right, the ranking was based on household income. Perhaps ENTJs are good at marrying into money? :D

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm gonna have to take issue with the sp subtype thing. I'd say sp-doms seek a stable income, whereas so- or sx- doms might be willing to take risks more often and achieve bigger - if slightly more sporadic and fluctuating - monetary gain. Whaddya think?

actually, higher income is associated with lower risk taking, not higher. put more accurately, higher income is associated with risk reducing behavior as opposed to risky behavior or avoidance.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
actually, higher income is associated with lower risk taking, not higher. put more accurately, higher income is associated with risk reducing behavior as opposed to risky behavior or avoidance.

That could work, I guess... Though I'd say the most "successful" people - in a general sense of the word - are the ones who, to quote Daniel Pink, dare to "make excellent mistakes" - sx-doms, maybe? :thinking:

Eh, maybe I'm just talking out of my keister. :shrug:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I agree with all of this except the variant part.

Depends what kind of job you're talking about, there are musicians and actors out there who roll in a bit, many of them would be SPs.

Yes. Sports stars too.

I generally agree with this.

Here's how I think the variants play out:

SP: Seeks stable income. Wants to make enough to live comfortably.

SO: Social position matters to some degree. For them, higher income may mean higher social position.

SX: Do the work you love, money be damned. I think the 'starving artist' type is most likely SX suptype. Some are at the other extreme, taking great financial risks, some making alot of money to afford an extravagant lifestyle.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That could work, I guess... Though I'd say the most "successful" people - in a general sense of the word - are the ones who, to quote Daniel Pink, dare to "make excellent mistakes" - sx-doms, maybe? :thinking:

Eh, maybe I'm just talking out of my keister. :shrug:

exactly, making mistakes of the right kind, as opposed to mistakes of impulsive and high risk :)