• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Firefly (formerly your favorite TV characters)

thejames

MBTI Type
INFP
It was more focused on the relationships of the characters rather than their type-identification (as seen in my second post).

But alright, boss.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How does copy and pasting focus on their relationships?

'Sides, does it really count as "intuitive knowledge" "without being able to pinpoint why" if she's actually literally reading their minds?

thejames

MBTI Type
INFP
How does copy and pasting focus on their relationships?

'Sides, does it really count as "intuitive knowledge" "without being able to pinpoint why" if she's actually literally reading their minds?

I chose to do more copy-pasting because people tend to trust reliable sources rather than simple word of mouth. They can also draw their own conclusions from that kind of organized, credible information.

If you focus on how the first section relates to the second, you will see that my estimations follow through with the outcoming relationship-correspondences.

A side note before I continue: The ISTP is by nature one of the types who least "trusts" intuition, just as many Ns have a difficult time with comprehending S. You have great strength in understanding your S side, which is admirable. However, I understand N quite well (also, you and I are related as "enigmas" [INFP-ISTP], so I'm sure it is naturally difficult for us to understand each other).

That being said, I'll get back on topic.

Since River does seem to be able to "read" minds, it is obvious to note that the one type which would most likely evolve to achieve this ability would be the INFJ, and much less other types (I will quote why in the next paragraph down). Since this show is set far in the future, perhaps that's what is being portrayed (conceptually speaking from an evolutionary standpoint).

"Only one percent of the population has an INFJ Personality Type, making it the most rare of all the types... some INFJs report experiences of a psychic nature, such as getting strong feelings about there being a problem with a loved one, and discovering later that they were in a car accident. This is the sort of thing that other types may scorn and scoff at..." (personalitypage.com)

A prime example of this would be when River advised Simon to save that dying patient in the hospital (or any of her "psychic" episodes, for that matter).

So my question is: would it be wrong to assume that River is a very evolved form of the INFJ?

Also, there are a few other things that make the INFJ type apparent in River. One example is her desire to seek revenge on those who prey on the weak (ie: when she slashed Jayne's chest with a knife because he was victimizing Simon. She acted on this desire because of her amagdyla malfunction, forcing her to feel things she could normally push back into her head).

Another would be that the INFJ is the natural "pal" of the ENFJ (Kaylee), as made apparent in the show. Also, the INFJ-INTP are natural "advisors" to eachother (as seen with her and her brother).

If you refer to my relationships page, and watch the shows again, you will see that it all clicks quite well, forming a sort of interlocking spiderweb of relation.

I have placed more emphasis on the characters and their relationships as a whole, rather than trying to identify each of their tendencies seperately (which I find to be misleading, seeing as each personality type is different based on how their tendencies work together, not independently).

Such was the goal of Isabel Briggs Myers herself (an INFP).

My apologies for rambling; I wanted to exude all of the details for you to have a better idea of where I'm coming from.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I really appreciate the thorough reasoning as you type characters. A key factor people often fail to keep in mind is whether that person is under stress, which blocks the use of the gifts of our personalities. In fact, we often use our shadow side. Intuitives start obsessing over details but do it poorly, not picking out what is vital; Sensing types start obsessing on what-ifs, but do it poorly, catastrophizing everything.

I might agree with Mal as ISTP except I wonder how much of his ability to lead through his natural style was lost when he lost his unit. He's definitely now leading from, "This is what I'm doing and whether you opt in is of no concern to me" style but what do you think he was like before his world collapsed?

The River (INFJ) makes sense, especially when viewing her early behaviors at school before they messed with her mind, being one myself. INTP works for Simon in that "before" vein, too, when one remembers the few glimpses we had of their childhoods. While the INFJ/INTP advisory team is true for me in real life, when I think of my brothers I'd be equally loyal to all of them and they're ISTP, INFJ, INTJ, ENFP...they're just being siblings.

edcoaching (INFJ)

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I still think that River post-Blue-Hands-Men is too traumatized to accurately type.... but I can agree with younger River being INFJ.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Basically what Colors said is right. High mechanical aptitude is associated with Se. Beyond that she tends to enjoy beautiful/sensual things simply for the sake of their own beauty. That's Se. In describing her attraction to Simon, she mentions it's been a long time since she's had a man between her legs. That doesn't sound like some heightened NF idealistic romance. That's your basic Se horniness. Also she tends to rely more on common sense like an SP than on elaborate metaphors or explanations like an NF. She's clearly a feeler, but that feeling is influenced by sensing and not intuition.

I'll buy the mechanical aptitude explanation, but the others won't fly ;) The stereotype of NFs being fanciful romantics when it comes to their love lives isn't always true. I met plenty of NF types in undergrad who were into sleeping around. As far as the enjoying beautiful things - don't most girls, regardless of type?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mal: ISTP
Jayne: ESTP
Simon: Liquid Laser's assesment of ISTJ is really swaying me, but I'll still say InTJ
River: ENTP? (based on flashbacks... and how I think she might act post-crazy. I don't really see any Fe. Sure, 'cause she psychic she'll sometimes experience the emotional state of another, but she's not really concillatory or sensitive)
Kaylee: ISFP
Zoe: ISTJ
Wash: ENFP
Inara: ENFJ
Book: I don't really know, but I think that from the show- it's like he's trying to oppose his natural inclinations/ the things he did back when... so I'll just throw out ESTJ.

hmm
damn good

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll buy the mechanical aptitude explanation, but the others won't fly ;) The stereotype of NFs being fanciful romantics when it comes to their love lives isn't always true. I met plenty of NF types in undergrad who were into sleeping around. As far as the enjoying beautiful things - don't most girls, regardless of type?

Well Kaylee isn't into sleeping around (at least not since she met Simon). You've missed my point. :) My point is that she has found a guy that she has totally fallen for and she still sees it in fairly practical terms. Some NF's will sleep around for sure, but when they find a guy that they totally fall for I think they'll have a different reaction.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so kaylee is an infp ?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Book as an INFP sounds right, as I work with someone whose demeanor and (implicated) renounced past are very, very similar.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how about the hilarious black guy at the end
INxP

Amargith

Hotel California