• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Lost" characters

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
Dudes!!! Ben Linus has got to be an ENFJ gone very very wrong.

He's the classic manipulator who stores tons of information about each individual and how they connect with each other, and uses that info to orchestrate everything without seeming like the traditional idea of a leader (ie Jack).

ENFJs desire harmony. In the scenario on Lost, harmony is why he's so hellbent on "protecting" the island. He has no qualms about using his powers for what he thinks is the greater good.

Allow me to quote from the ENFJs: Not Manipulative thread:

"ENFJs' skills lie with people and feelings, and they know how to manipulate either or both, to their own aims. They know how to gloss over the truth and present it in an altered form that appears to be correct to those who are not keen enough to pick up on it. They are naturally dramatic and speak with conviction; they'll get under your skin to provoke an emotional reaction. People buy what they sell -- hook, line, and sinker. Those that suspect something is going on can't point it out logically so their claims look to have little veracity. All the facts and logical explanations in the world won't matter. Even the "enemy" may begin to believe them." -- Lauren Ashley

Yup. Totally Ben Linus.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te dom. he provides people with information and then pushes them in a direction. he is all about logical categories, forcing people into making the "logical" choice as he sets it up. entj all the way. least in touch with his inferior Fi function.

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
He presents the information in such a way that personally appeals to his victims and pushes their buttons though.

He's emotionally manipulative. Remember the first episode of season 2, when he had Kate put on a dress and join him for breakfast on the beach? I'm not sure a Te dom would bother with such displays. And the way he dealt with Juliet and her lover, leading her to his body and then shouting at her "You're mine!" Whoa, creeeeeeepy.

Maybe he's an ENFJ with particularly good access to T. Remember, ENFJs are also not in touch with Fi. They work on Fe.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I thought Ben Linus was a T, but now I could reconsider my guess.
First, in flashback when he is a child it's pretty clear he is an F.
Second, I don't want spoiler, but I think all of you watched the last episode of season 5: his monologue to Jacob is absolutely F goes out mad.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I'm actually going with Deep Rain on most of the characters, although I'm starting to rethink Ben as possibly being a terribly warped ENFJ. It's weird though, I somehow always saw Jack as an unhealthy INFJ because of his sort of "crusader" thing (he doesn't seem to be a natural or detached leader), but I could also see ESXJ as the logical choice. And hurray for random scattered background INTJs like Patchy and Rousseau.

R

Riva

Miles “the Ghostbuster” ENTP (knows how to bug the shit out of people)

i didnt watch the last season.
but i watched the one before that when Miles was first introduced.
but in that he seems a bit INTPish.
more introverted and analytical than opportunistic and enthusiastic.

INTPs like to bug the shit out of people too.
the difference is when an INTP bugs you, YOU end up not liking him.
but when an ENTP bugs you, YOU feel bugged and annoyed but you end up laughing in the end.

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's weird though, I somehow always saw Jack as an unhealthy INFJ because of his sort of "crusader" thing (he doesn't seem to be a natural or detached leader), but I could also see ESXJ as the logical choice.

There have been times where I also thought Jack was more introvert than extravert.

1. He didn't realize how deeply unhappy his wife was until she outright said that she found someone else. Not sure if an extravert (unless it's ESTJ?) would be so blind to the warning signs.

2. He's prone to drink himself into a stupor ALONE when he's upset. Again, seems more introvert than extravert.

He's definitely a J tho, and Kate's definitely a P. And yeah, the crusader thing definitely holds. His character, from childhood on, was always painted as someone who couldn't stand seeing other people suffer. He always has to save them. Definitely an INFJ "The Protector" thing.

R

Riva

I agree with Ben. (and he is a pretty classic case.

Ben Linus seems to have all the qualities that an INTJ has. The confidence, the planning, plan A, Plan B.... etc.
But he also seems to have Fe in him. Which the INTJs don't have (that much).

So i though he is an INTP. He seems to have Ne too. So it fits right?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ben Linus seems to have all the qualities that an INTJ has. The confidence, the planning, plan A, Plan B.... etc.
But he also seems to have Fe in him. Which the INTJs don't have (that much).

So i though he is an INTP. He seems to have Ne too. So it fits right?

Look at his primary motivations and behavior(s).

He is not detached as a typical INTP would be.
His goal is not understand the situation for its own sake.
His goal is to control the situation (and one way he does this is by understanding it, but he wants to manage it and bring it to closure in the way he desires.)

Compare to Locke who is probably INFP. Locke is an explorer of concepts (INP), he wants to understand the situation and he veers away from interfering in the workings of things if possible... it takes him a long to make decisions, and when he does, those decisions are dictated to him by the workings of the situation, he is merely playing a part in what already is unfolding, to create the outcome that the situation dictates. Ben (INJ) imposes his order over reality.

afarsea

MBTI Type
INTP
Look at his primary motivations and behavior(s).

He is not detached as a typical INTP would be.
His goal is not understand the situation for its own sake.
His goal is to control the situation (and one way he does this is by understanding it, but he wants to manage it and bring it to closure in the way he desires.)

Compare to Locke who is probably INFP. Locke is an explorer of concepts (INP), he wants to understand the situation and he veers away from interfering in the workings of things if possible... it takes him a long to make decisions, and when he does, those decisions are dictated to him by the workings of the situation, he is merely playing a part in what already is unfolding, to create the outcome that the situation dictates. Ben (INJ) imposes his order over reality.

I'm working on a blog post about typing the Lost characters, and I totally agree with your assessment!

Ben INTJ - incisive, overconfident, always has a plan, a system builder, and personal relationships are not his forté (even though he cares deeply about a select few)
Locke INFP - has a sense of wonder about the world, especially the Island. Constantly struggles with concepts of self-identity and purpose. Has strong awareness of others. Takes his time making decisions, and always has a lofty ideal in mind when doing so. He balances Jack in almost every way.
Jack ESTJ - he's a classic ESTJ as far as I can see, makes decisions quickly, stubbornly sticks to his convictions (even when evidence to the contrary is staring him in the face), has disturbing outbursts of emotion
Kate ISFP - She's impulsive, definitely a feeler but often keeps things to herself, until they burst out of her (kissing Jack, then running away). She is an idealist but is also a doer (like killing her dad to protect her mom) and she's also very physically inclined (tracking, hiking, climbing.)
Sawyer ENTP - at first I thought for sure he was an ESTP because of the conman angle, but now I'm not sure he was in it for the thrills - I think maybe that was just his mode of survival. I can see a lot of NT in his thought processes. Definitely a P, and definitely an E.
Rose ESFJ - Caretaker of everyone, outspoken, firm in her beliefs. Classic ESFJ.
Daniel INTP - he's a very typical INTP.
Miles ENTP - like an INTP, but the dude won't shut up
Jin ISTJ - so motivated by duty it's almost comical
Sun ISFJ - a nurturer, definitely an introvert, takes care of Jin even when she's planning to leave him.
Ana Lucia ESTJ - she's pretty much a female Jack, but way more annoying
Desmond INFP - dreamer, idealist, always searching for meaning and purpose but not always finishing what he sets out to do
Claire INFJ - Claire has turned fairly one-dimensional (mommy all the time!) which makes her difficult to type, but this is my inclination

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm working on a blog post about typing the Lost characters, and I totally agree with your assessment!

Ben INTJ - incisive, overconfident, always has a plan, a system builder, and personal relationships are not his forté (even though he cares deeply about a select few)
Locke INFP - has a sense of wonder about the world, especially the Island. Constantly struggles with concepts of self-identity and purpose. Has strong awareness of others. Takes his time making decisions, and always has a lofty ideal in mind when doing so. He balances Jack in almost every way.
Jack ESTJ - he's a classic ESTJ as far as I can see, makes decisions quickly, stubbornly sticks to his convictions (even when evidence to the contrary is staring him in the face), has disturbing outbursts of emotion
Kate ISFP - She's impulsive, definitely a feeler but often keeps things to herself, until they burst out of her (kissing Jack, then running away). She is an idealist but is also a doer (like killing her dad to protect her mom) and she's also very physically inclined (tracking, hiking, climbing.)
Sawyer ENTP - at first I thought for sure he was an ESTP because of the conman angle, but now I'm not sure he was in it for the thrills - I think maybe that was just his mode of survival. I can see a lot of NT in his thought processes. Definitely a P, and definitely an E.
Rose ESFJ - Caretaker of everyone, outspoken, firm in her beliefs. Classic ESFJ.
Daniel INTP - he's a very typical INTP.
Miles ENTP - like an INTP, but the dude won't shut up
Jin ISTJ - so motivated by duty it's almost comical
Sun ISFJ - a nurturer, definitely an introvert, takes care of Jin even when she's planning to leave him.
Ana Lucia ESTJ - she's pretty much a female Jack, but way more annoying
Desmond INFP - dreamer, idealist, always searching for meaning and purpose but not always finishing what he sets out to do
Claire INFJ - Claire has turned fairly one-dimensional (mommy all the time!) which makes her difficult to type, but this is my inclination

Miles seems like an introvert to me, Id guess INTP. Most of his "not shutting up" isnt really socializing but bitterly pointing out the flaws of everyone elses actions.

slant

MBTI Type
TOTO
The only ones I am sure about are these two:
Infj= Locke
Intj= Ben

It's really quite obvious when you look at the Ben/Locke relationship; even if they are not infj/intj, they are very similar in type with one or two letters being the only difference between them. They were both at polar opposites of the spectrum and Ben has convinced Locke to believe things, several times, it's clear that Ben doesn't believe those things himself. Locke is much more of a feeler who believes in fate and mysticism, who has feelings about things and acts on them. Ben plans things out, and strategically, not only gets people do what he wants, but can even convince others to do his bidding.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Jack - ESTJ
Locke - INFJ
Ben - INTJ
Kate - ENFP
Sawyer - ESTP
Sayid - ENFJ
Charles Whidmore - ENTJ
Penny - INFJ
Desmond - INFJ
Juliet - INFP
Hurley - ISFP
Claire - ISFP
Richard - INTJ
Faraday - INTP
Sun- ESFJ
Jin - ISTJ
Christian - INTJ
Miles - INTP
Michael - ISFJ
Walt - INFP
Charlie - ISFP
Bernard - ISFJ
Rose - ENFJ
Charlotte - ESTJ
Eko - ISTJ
Boone - ISFP
Shannon - ESFP
Rousseau - INTJ
Ana Lucia - ESTJ

I think that's everyone...
The only thing that could make this show perfect is to add the only thing missing, a quintessential ENTP character.

MBTI Type
INxJ
the island - ENTP

likes to fuck with you a lot.

:D

Juliet INTP (Did I see her as INFJ someplace here? That’s way off; she’s definitely Ti dom, very cool and self-possessed under pressure; also has a condescending Ti-ish air at times)

Juliet cries all the time.

Ben: INTJ
Locke: INFx
Jack: ESTJ
Hurley/Claire/Kate/Charlie: ISFP
Eko/Desmond: INFJ
Jin: ISTJ
Sun/Juliet/Bernard: ISFJ
Sayid: ISTP
Sawyer: ExxP

MyIsland

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
5w4
I think Sawyer is ENTP. What about Richard? Jacob?
Im thinking...
Richard- ESTP
Jacob- INFP

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Jack ENTJ
Locke INTP
Sawyer ENTP
Kate ISFP
Desmond INFP
Juliet INFJ
Adult Ben INTJ
Child Ben INFJ
Faraday INFP
Miles ENTP
Eloise INTJ
Whidmore ENTJ

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just need to say that Daniel Faraday is most absolutely an INFP.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Jack is an ESFJ. I don't understand why everyone thinks he is a T. Also, I always thought Sawyer was an ISTP. He's a little more talkative than most, but he's very reclusive and doesn't have any role or interest in the islands society. All he does is hoard all of the treasures/weapons he finds so that he can take advantage of people.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Bah, you fools are all wrong.

Ben ESTJ
Locke ENTJ
Jack ENTJ (notice the ongoing tension with Locke)
Kate ISTP
Hurley ISFP
Sayid ISTP
Sawyer ESTP
Claire ISFP
Charlie ESFP
Juliette ENFJ
Sun INFJ (though she was ISFJ in the earlier episodes)
Jin ISTJ
Faraday INTP
Miles ENTP
Desmond INFJ
Whidmore ENTJ
Penny INFP
Richard INFJ
Charlotte INTJ
Rose ESFJ

I don't actually know who writes this show, but judging by the storylines and plot devices, I'd say some INTJ, ENTP, and ESTP are collaborating.