• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aubrey/Maturin (Master and Commander) types?

heart

heart on fire
My guesses for the Aubrey/Maturin (Master and Commander) Novels.

Captain Jack Aubrey---- ESTJ

Stephen Maturin ----- INTJ

Agreements? Challenges? Additions? :D

I have the sneaking fear that tumbleweeds are all that are going to be going on in this thread!

heart

heart on fire
I am so unsure of Hornblower's type. He is complex. I certainly welcome challenges on it.

In the books, he always seems to do the best under pressure when he gets inspirations on what to do.

Horatio Hornblower Characters (from the books)

Hornblower INTJ

Maria --his first wife ISFJ (unhappy marriage)
Barbara -- his second wife ESTJ (happy marriage)
Marie -- his lover INFP
Bush -- ISTP

Horatio Hornblower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He (Hornblower) regards himself as cowardly, dishonest, and, at times, disloyal--never crediting his ability to persevere, think rapidly, organize, or cut to the nub of a matter and put such things aside while staying focused on the priority of the moment. His sense of duty, hard work, and a drive to succeed make these imagined negative characteristics undetectable by everyone but him, and being introspective, he blows up petty things beyond reasonable measure to reinforce his poor self image.

His introverted nature continually isolates him from the people around him, including his closest friend, William Bush, and his wives never fully understand him. He is guarded with nearly everyone and reticent to the point of giving offense, unless the matter is the business of discharging his duty as a Kings' officer, in which case he is clear, decisive, and almost loquacious while giving orders and instructions, as the needs of the exigency demand.

His introspection makes him a very self-conscious and lonely man, a characteristic which is displayed even in the short fiction about his career as a midshipman and lieutenant; through most of the books, the enforced isolation of being "The captain" (and later, as Admiral) in the Royal Navy makes him lonelier still.

He suffers from severe chronic seasickness, especially occurring at the beginning of his voyages and for a time was known derisively as the midshipman who was sick (in the excellent sheltered harbour) at Spithead.

He has an immense reading appetite and can discourse on the works of various contemporary figures of literature and the classics, has mastered the difficult art of celestial navigation and its arcane mathematics to the point that in Lydia he made a perfect landfall while voyaging five months out of sight of land or contact with other ships (an interpretation of his orders to maintain secrecy)

and furthermore, plays excellent whist, essentially professionally—a talent which he uses to maintain himself financially from time to time, as when a “not confirmed” field promotion to commander was never confirmed. This left him in an unfortunate position of debt to his government, having to pay back the difference in the two salaries; a job he was quite capable of undertaking with the help of his card playing abilities...

heart

heart on fire
From the Alexander Kent series (It is another Age of Sail type series):

Richard Bolitho --- I have only read Stand Into Danger so I am not entirely sure about his type and wish there were someone here who had a thought about it.

He has a very NF "Feel" at times in the one book.

Richard Bolitho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Among his fellow officers, Bolitho was known for his tactical ingenuity, his daring, and his disregard of both convention and political expediency. He rose to high rank--despite the opposition of less competent men--because of his ability to win crucial victories against seemingly impossible odds. Among the men of the fleet, Bolitho was known as a demanding but scrupulously fair and humane captain. The men sometimes referred to him, though never to his face, as "Equality Dick." His reputation as a paragon of decency in a brutal world created a fierce sense of loyalty among those who had served under him.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, maturin has always struck me as an INTP for some reason?
He doesn't count money, he's very much in the blue sometimes etc. :)

heart

heart on fire
Yes, I could buy INTP too. I guess I would just have so much sympathy for a INTP in the Royal Navy that I was resistant to that when I was thinking about it, lol. But it makes more sense.

I am so thrilled that someone else wants to talk age of sail fiction. :)

heart

heart on fire
Okay, so I was re-reading Lord Hornblower and in it Forester describes Hornblower as: "...His was a temperment that longed for affection, for the proofs of love; but a lifetime of self-discipline in an unrelentling world had made it difficult, almost impossible, for him to let the fact appear. Within him there was always the lurking fear of a rebuff, something too horrible to risk. He was always gaurded with himself, guarded with the world..." Lord Hornblower, C.S. Forester (1946) p.14.

So I now I sort of change my opinion to him being a very repressed INFP!

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So the movie comes from a book? I didn't know... That's exciting news.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Maturin's always been one of my favorite INTPs.

Aubrey, I'd bet the cash on ESFP.

heart

heart on fire
Okay, changing my stance again...Hornblower is INTJ, he's just apparently a love hungry INTJ. :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My guesses for the Aubrey/Maturin (Master and Commander) Novels.

Captain Jack Aubrey---- ESTJ

Stephen Maturin ----- INTJ

Agreements? Challenges? Additions? :D

I have the sneaking fear that tumbleweeds are all that are going to be going on in this thread!

I love me some Captain Jack.

I took it to be an INTP/INFJ "relationship" in the movie. The books? Dunno! :) I could easily see an ESTJ captain drawing from an INTJ doctor. I'll have to read those. *adds to list*

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I love me some Captain Jack.

I took it to be an INTP/INFJ "relationship" in the movie. The books? Dunno! :) I could easily see an ESTJ captain drawing from an INTJ doctor. I'll have to read those. *adds to list*
Pffshhfff. You think every cool dude in a movie is INFJ. Knock it off!

You'd like the books though, even the ones I can't read because there's too much ballroom dancing.

Monty's Double

MBTI Type
ENTP
Having done a couple of lengthy coaching sessions with INTJs recently I definitely agree with Hornblower as one of these, even down to his tendency to overindulge physically when stressed (Inferior Se).

I think Stephen is probably INTP, since analysis (Ti) is much more important to him than organisation (Te). My colleague thinks INFP since his need to be true to himself gets him into so much trouble (ie duels). I can see that but if he is an INFP he's a very troubled one, who has never developed his emotional literacy in the way I experience INFPs. Even his hatred of Bonaparte seems to be driven by logic.

Jack I'm torn between ESTJ and ESTP. He is quite conservative (and indeed Conservative, when his father is a radical Whig), but his tactical genius suggests someone who lives in the here and now. I could even see ESFP since although they are F's, their desire for action can make them ham-fisted in relationships. "Ham-fisted" seems quite apt for the big man.

Any analysis of a fictional character has to be deconstructed a little - we can only see them through the lens of the author. Great authors create characters that are utterly consistent in their personalities, and in some ways easier to type because we have access to their introspective functions. I think both PO'B and CSF are brilliant at creating "real" characters, and naval fiction of the age of sail gives a tremendous stage (and a wooden quarterdeck is quite literally a stage) for these characters to play out. I only really tuned into naval fiction when the penny dropped that the subject matter is not so much bowsprits and lee shores as character and the nature of command. The late Georgian period is also a wonderful period for the setting, as it provides just the right balance of contrast and familiarity with our own age.