• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sex & the City characters

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Can someone explain to me how miranda is an SJ??

I see her very much as an INTJ, where is her Si when she doesn't give a shit about being entirely unconventional? She like, despises everything that it means to be a traditional woman.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Ok, I'm not sure if the theory above is right, but if it was, I would see it like that:

Carrie: NF (but I hate her as well, so I'm reluctant to say INFP ;) )
Samantha: SP (probably ESTP, even though I see her more like an ESxP)
Charlotte: SJ (ISFJ)
Miranda: NT (INTP - this is obviously not a mainstream theory, but her constant logical deconstruction seems so Ti to me it hurts)

These were my impressions, too.

In a nutshell, this show was about fuck buddies. Whenever they got horny, they called their fuck buddies. It was as easy as lighting up a cigarette, making you feel like your sex life was tragically deficient if you couldn't get laid on the drop of a dime.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can someone explain to me how miranda is an SJ??

I see her very much as an INTJ, where is her Si when she doesn't give a shit about being entirely unconventional? She like, despises everything that it means to be a traditional woman.

I think she does care, and that's what bothers her. I explained earlier in the thread how I see a conflict in her between being a T woman (unconventional) and being Si-dom.

If the show truly had a lead character from each temperament (which is interesting...), then I'd definitely put her as the NT. Carrie would be the NF, Charlotte is sooooo SJ, and Samantha is SP.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Carrie: ISFP

I see the Fi in her, and when I watch the show that's the part of Carrie I can directly relate to, but otherwise all I get is Se, Se, Se! She's rather impulsive and, like someone else in the thread mentioned, never learns from her past experiences (No Fi-Si loop!). She seems to keep tripping over her own feet because her shoelaces are untied but never thinks to just TIE THEM so that she won't trip in the future. Honestly, she reminds me of my (ISFP) mother and (ESFP) grandmother. We connect in terms of the Fi, but their Se is the oil to my water, Ne. Plus, Carrie's value system? I think I can say is a bit underdeveloped.

Sidenote: I used to be into fashion, too. Subscribed to Vogue and Elle for years. I'm relatively fashion conscious, like Carrie, but I notice it doesn't come from the same place. I like to dress a certain way as a form of self-expression or a way to say something about myself to other people without having to actually say anything while Se users tend to do it to be noticed or even complimented, to a certain degree.

Charlotte: ISFJ

SFJ definitely. I chose I for her because I remember in the episode when she leaves the museum/art gallery she works in and the episode where she converts to Judaism the narrator, Carrie, mentions how "studious" Charlotte is. She remembered lots of facts. Whether or not she could apply them was another issue, but that's a clear sign of Si dominance in her.

Miranda: isTJ

This typing for Miranda is more of a gut instinct. I always have a bad tendency of confusing ISTJs with NTs. Well, until the ISTJ does something that is so S that I must amend my typing for them. Initially, I thought she was an inTJ, but then I compared her to other ISTJs I know. Perfect Match. They all do what they're supposed to do (like they're programmed to do what's "normal"), and they are all so grounded in reality that after a short time of getting to know them I realize quickly how much they frighten me. ...Or maybe it's the TJ that scares me shi(r)tless.

I honestly can't type TJs properly. Someone else may have better reasoning :).

Samantha: ESTP

Impulsive yet Grounded in Reality. Apathetic to Social Norms (although she's very concerned with the way she looks to stay within a physical social norm). Bold. Unabashedly extraverted. Great use of Se and Ti.

Mr. Big: eSTJ

He marries some gorgeous model whom he doesn't actually love on the basis of his being expected to marry someone in equal social status to himself. He only seems fickle because he loves Carrie, someone who is unconventional and a crazy Fi to his organized Te, but is afraid to be with someone who goes against his "plan."

Aidan: iNFJ

I really, really believe Aidan is INFJ. I don't think he uses Fi like Carrie does. His personality is just very... different. He has Fe, but it's subdued or mellowed out, like most Fe auxs. He also has soft J going on, which was hot. It's quite possible that he is an IsFJ, but I don't know about his being Si dom.

I'd say Steve is EnFP. For that guy to be so shrimpy he definitely bagged a lot of babes on that show. Harry seems ExFJ. He helped restore Charlotte back to (emotional) health after her divorce without any conditions in their relationship. Sounds like Fe to me. And all I can guess for Trey is that he was a whole lot of SJ.

I don't particularly care about the other characters enough to type.

Fyi, I used to be an avid fan of the show. But now for some reason I can't seem to stomach it. I'm not quite sure what caused the change, but I can't watch it without cringing.

Last edited:

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Neptunesnet, your typings make sense. I especially agree on the Carrie typing, although I don't think she's a perfect fit for any type, really.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Out of curiosity, does anyone know where this thing is that says that each of the girls is supposed to be one of the four temperaments? That would be interesting to read.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know if it's written anywhere "official," but whenever there's a group of 4 in a movie or book, I figure they're probably written to be one of each temperament. MBTI wasn't the first time people were divided into four temperaments. Way back in the day there were the four humors (melancholic/phlegmatic/sanguine/choleric) and authors have been writing characters to them ever since.

Sunny Ghost

Carrie-INFP all the way. She's got a way with words that ISFP's are incapable of.
Samantha-ESTJ. I mean, for christ's sake, she's a publicist! And she refuses to ever let her emotions get in the way, and she's incredibly organized.
Miranda-INTJ does seem quiet fitting... haha.
Charlotte-ESFJ, definitely. I see so many parallels between her and my ESFJ sister. Super traditional, super girly, balances so many different things at one time and successful at them all.
Mr. Big-ISTJ, is my guess. I was torn on the s/n, but he doesn't seem hateful towards people like INTJ's. But I also suppose he could be an extrovert... but for some reason, I feel like introvert is more him. An introvert that's good with people. So... ISTJ seems fitting. The duty fulfiller.
Steve-ISFP.
Aden-ISTP. Good with his hands. Builds shit. Yeah.
The Russian boyfriend, whatever his name was...-INFP/ISFP.

And neptunesnet-ISFP's do have a very well developed internal set of values. it's what turns the ISFP from quiet and unassuming to sudden Joan of Arc's. We're incredibly passionate about our values and constantly strive to live in accordance with them.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
I agree on Big being introverted. He would much rather stay at home than go out on the town like Carrie. How is Carrie an introvert ?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
And neptunesnet-ISFP's do have a very well developed internal set of values. it's what turns the ISFP from quiet and unassuming to sudden Joan of Arc's. We're incredibly passionate about our values and constantly strive to live in accordance with them.

I'd written that a while ago, Indy. I realize now that the value system is a byproduct of Fi, and I wouldn't have included that in my assessment if I had written it recently. But I think everything else I said still applies. She is by no means an INFP. That's almost laughable considering how Se-driven she is.

Also, being able to write well has nothing to do with Ne or Se. I mean, Kerouac was a great novelist and he was ISFP.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Aren't ISFP's kind of outgoing? That could explain why I see her as an extrovert. I just don't see INFP's as that outgoing. Plus she's not really looking for her place in this world. She could just be an ISFP who spends a lot of time in her head.

Sunny Ghost

She is by no means an INFP. That's almost laughable considering how Se-driven she is.

Also, being able to write well has nothing to do with Ne or Se. I mean, Kerouac was a great novelist and he was ISFP.

I'm not sure who Kerouac is. :huh:

Hrm... I just don't really see ISFP as being much of a writer. We have a lot of difficulty explaining our feelings. Which is why we're often so quiet, yet expressive in other outlets. But I certainly see where you're coming from on picking her out to be ISFP...

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Carrie: ISFP 6w7
Charlotte: ESFJ 3w2
Miranda: ISTJ 6w5
Samantha: ESTP 7w8

I read a New Yorker article defending the show from the backlash it's gotten since its been off air and it had an interesting analysis of the characters:

Most unusually, the characters themselves were symbolic. As I’ve written elsewhere—and argued, often drunkenly, at cocktail parties—the four friends operated as near-allegorical figures, pegged to contemporary debates about women’s lives, mapped along three overlapping continuums. The first was emotional: Carrie and Charlotte were romantics; Miranda and Samantha were cynics. The second was ideological: Miranda and Carrie were second-wave feminists, who believed in egalitarianism; Charlotte and Samantha were third-wave feminists, focussed on exploiting the power of femininity, from opposing angles. The third concerned sex itself. At first, Miranda and Charlotte were prudes, while Samantha and Carrie were libertines. Unsettlingly, as the show progressed, Carrie began to glide toward caution, away from freedom, out of fear.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Liked the show, hated the movies. I feel like most of the backlash has been on account of the movies.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], we did see the movie, and it was awful! :laugh:

Carrie -ENFJ
Miranda - INTJ
Charlotte - ESFJ
Samantha ESTp

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Carrie: ENFP 7w6 sx-so

The show is based on her Fi theorising to write her column, and she has that playful childlike thing going for her. She isn't the most practical and is often accused of being not grounded enough. She is a dreamer, focused tremendously on finding her perfect mate (sx-dom) and the core of her little circle to keep them together (so) while also being very much into delving into the social scene on a regular basis (E and so). The predicament with almost losing her apartment and overabundance of shoes shows off her sp-last.

Miranda: INTJ 6w5 sp-sx

Classic career woman, crazy spurts of Se but mostly Ni worldview and Te control of her life. Protective of her friends and of her livelihood,and comfort (sp), loyal to a T while always looking for the danger around the corner. Not a fan of social conventions or networking in the least, and looking for a mate on a regular basis, but not as obsessively as Carrie.

Charlotte: ESFJ 2w3 so-sx

Typical portrait of the classic perfect 'wife'. Into traditional romance, and following the rules, going through the ritual to find the perfect mate. Connected, classy, good at networking and always there for her friends and ready to help. Always willing to put in the work that is expected in order to gain the result she wants. Easily disappointed when she does not receive the reward when she did everything right.

Samantha: ESTP 7w8 sx-so.

Focused on finding sexual partners/playmates. Larger than life. Built a business on her charisma and ease in connecting with people, demonstrating her sp-last serving the priorities of her sx-so preference. Uses her tertiary Fe to enhance the effect, while her Se does most of the work. Likes to use her Ti to figure out how to unlock her newest toy. Likes power play and being on top.

Leading men:

Steve: EsFP so-sx
Aiden: ISFP sp-sx with a strong-ass tertiary Ni
Big: ENTJ sx-sp
Smith: InFP sp-sx
Trey: ESFp sp-so
Harry: ENtP sp-sx with a big ass cuddly Fe.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], we did see the movie, and it was awful! :laugh:

I know right? I mean, a good ten minutes of it centered around Charlotte pooping her pants.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I used to watch this with my mother when I was a teen.

Wait a minute...this isn't the three things people don't know about you thread...I've been had. Curse you my arch nemesis: The Brain!

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I've been watching the show and Carrie is one of those ENFP/ISFP hybrids.. still going with 6w7 though.