• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anakin Skywalker

What Type is Anakin Skywalker?

• ISFP

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • ENFP

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • other

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems our biggest issue here is where his desire for power comes from and whether his arrogance is genuine or not. It seems clear to me that he had a hero complex and was afraid of bad things happening to those he loved and this was the reason why he wanted to be powerful, and you say it is because he just wanted power for power in and of itself.

I'm sure you share other similarities, but your reported behavior is nothing like Anakin's

All I was saying was that he was afraid of bad things happening to those he loved that was beyond his control, and this isn't exclusive to 8s. 6s fear this too, as I did when I was younger. So yes, my reported behavior was similar to Anakin in that regard.

I mean, just because he isn't visibly anxious, doesn't make him not afraid. I mean, dear God, Yoda had said his biggest problem was being afraid to let go of his attachments.

this is specific neither to 6s nor 8s

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. I'm just saying that he was worried for her, and his desire to protect her was 6-ish. It would seem like an 8 would leave people to their own devices.

I'm still gonna disagree here. Anakin want's to get his way, and when he is not strong enough to get his way, he gets very upset, like an 8

He wants to get his way because he doesn't want anything bad happening to those he loved. His mindset was similar to, "No, I must not let her die, I must protect her!" and "The Jedi are too strict and won't give me the freedom I need to keep my attachments."

Sidious just brought it out

More like, Sidious made him think that everyone was distrustful, and that only the Dark Side can give him the power to not worry about others being unfaithful to him. That's why when he saw Sidious torturing Luke, he thought he was betrayed and joined Luke's side because he felt Luke's sincerity.

Also, Sidious manipulated him through fear of losing Padme, one of the only people who he felt he could trust.

I don't think Anakin ever had much of a desire for security

Yes, he totally did. At least at first (after he became a Jedi, though), he was an insecure person who always had doubts about himself and craved reassurance. When he talked about how "powerful" he was, he seemed to be trying to convince himself that he really was powerful, when he deep down felt like he was a bad Jedi. He felt like he wasn't good enough, and whenever Palpatine told him how powerful he was, he desperately gripped at those compliments so he could confirm that, yes, he really was talented. So, really, I think the arrogance is a mask he put on to make him seem more self-assured than he truly was. Even though he may have seemed strong on the outside, there was an internal war that was raging inside of him. His conscience was like a dragon who was beating up constantly, who was telling him what he didn't what to hear. To escape from it, he went to Palpatine for reassurance. I think that is why he liked to do physical, athletic things -- it helped him escape from his mental life, which was full of intense feelings of fear, anger, confusion, guilt, and worry.

Also, why do you think he is so possessive? He feared losing his attachments.

anyone would feel that way

Are you saying anyone would feel like the Jedi betrayed them? Because that's what I was saying. He felt like the Jedi betrayed him.

- this has nothing to do with Sx dom
- neither is this an issue of scapegoating, it's an issue of freedom. he wants to be free to do what he wants, go as fast as he wants and reach his potential, but Obi-Wan is hovering over him like a condescending ISTJ and barking orders at him.

Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what "Id" means. Could you explain?

Also, bear in mind here that 6s are the most varying Enneatype, and, while they all have the same, general motivation and fears, they all react differently.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He feels ISFP to me.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He feels ISFP to me.

Possibly, although I think he could be any FP, honestly (unless someone can make a convincing argument for him being an Ne-user or an Se-user, and whether Fi is first or second). Just because he's a good mechanic, good pilot, and good fighter and he's physically coordinated and impulsive, doesn't make him an Se-user, per se. He was, after all, raised as a slave to a spaceship/podracer parts shop owner and trained as a Jedi and he has a very high Midichlorian count, so it only makes sense he's good at those things. And he's impulsive because he's very Sx-dominant. This is obviously apparent by he becomes so attached to things, which was the ultimate reason for his downfall. Actually, he seems to use Ne instead of Se because he questions why the way things are the way they are and virtually views reality as a box he can't escape. Plus, he hates the Jedi's SJ way of doing things.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems our biggest issue here is where his desire for power comes from and whether his arrogance is genuine or not. It seems clear to me that he had a hero complex and was afraid of bad things happening to those he loved and this was the reason why he wanted to be powerful, and you say it is because he just wanted power for power in and of itself.
8s want power for this reason too, more often than 6s

All I was saying was that he was afraid of bad things happening to those he loved that was beyond his control, and this isn't exclusive to 8s. 6s fear this too, as I did when I was younger. So yes, my reported behavior was similar to Anakin in that regard.
for the most part though, he took a devil-may-care approach to life, not really worrying/being concerned about much of anything

I mean, just because he isn't visibly anxious, doesn't make him not afraid. I mean, dear God, Yoda had said his biggest problem was being afraid to let go of his attachments.
Sx dom, and also 8. 8s have difficulty relinquishing their desire for control over things they have no influence over.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. I'm just saying that he was worried for her, and his desire to protect her was 6-ish. It would seem like an 8 would leave people to their own devices.
not always, his desire to protect his wife was mostly just being a heterosexual male

He wants to get his way because he doesn't want anything bad happening to those he loved. His mindset was similar to, "No, I must not let her die, I must protect her!" and "The Jedi are too strict and won't give me the freedom I need to keep my attachments."
same as above

More like, Sidious made him think that everyone was distrustful, and that only the Dark Side can give him the power to not worry about others being unfaithful to him. That's why when he saw Sidious torturing Luke, he thought he was betrayed and joined Luke's side because he felt Luke's sincerity.
Also, Sidious manipulated him through fear of losing Padme, one of the only people who he felt he could trust.
this applies to both 6s and 8s (though, somewhat more to 6s)

Yes, he totally did. At least at first (after he became a Jedi, though), he was an insecure person who always had doubts about himself and craved reassurance. When he talked about how "powerful" he was, he seemed to be trying to convince himself that he really was powerful, when he deep down felt like he was a bad Jedi. He felt like he wasn't good enough, and whenever Palpatine told him how powerful he was, he desperately gripped at those compliments so he could confirm that, yes, he really was talented. So, really, I think the arrogance is a mask he put on to make him seem more self-assured than he truly was. Even though he may have seemed strong on the outside, there was an internal war that was raging inside of him. His conscience was like a dragon who was beating up constantly, who was telling him what he didn't what to hear. To escape from it, he went to Palpatine for reassurance. I think that is why he liked to do physical, athletic things -- it helped him escape from his mental life, which was full of intense feelings of fear, anger, confusion, guilt, and worry.
I don't see any of this, from Episode 1 on it seemed clear he was very confident in his abilities

Also, why do you think he is so possessive? He feared losing his attachments.
like an Sx dom of any E type

Are you saying anyone would feel like the Jedi betrayed them? Because that's what I was saying. He felt like the Jedi betrayed him.
both 6s and 8s would feel this

Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what "Id" means. Could you explain?
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/47315-freudian-theory-enneagram.html

Also, bear in mind here that 6s are the most varying Enneatype, and, while they all have the same, general motivation and fears, they all react differently.
true

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
......I feel fucking stupid looking back on this thread. Anakin is a fucking TWO!

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Some threads never die.

Awaking is an introverted soul, and I did see him more as an ISTP. He's a practical solutions guy to me and while a lot of us are mechanically minded, he enjoys fixing things/doing maintenance, it destresses him. Interested to see where people see the Fi though, for those who see him as ISFP. Of the things he does build, I don't see beauty in them, especially his speeder which if you compare to the others is definitely more function over style. I could be overgeneralising though.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All jedi are ENFj. The combination of Extraverted Feeling and Introverted Intuition is what lets Yoda know that "Skywalker is in pain" despite the fact that Anakin is light-years away from him. It's what allows Vader to say, "That's it. The rebels are there." The jedi are all show-off performers (as one would expect from an ENFj). They are so effective with Fe that they can convince weak-minded people of just about anything. "These are not the droids you're looking for." Sounds like ENFj to me.

:Fe::Ni: :yay:

At least there's some advantage to having very thin emotional/ethical boundaries.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All jedi are ENFj. The combination of Extraverted Feeling and Introverted Intuition is what lets Yoda know that "Skywalker is in pain" despite the fact that Anakin is light-years away from him. It's what allows Vader to say, "That's it. The rebels are there." The jedi are all show-off performers (as one would expect from an ENFj). They are so effective with Fe that they can convince weak-minded people of just about anything. "These are not the droids you're looking for." Sounds like ENFj to me.

:Fe::Ni: :yay:

At least there's some advantage to having very thin emotional/ethical boundaries.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool no

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's an interesting claim when it comes to Anakin being an INTJ or ENTJ. Why? Well, the clone wars. In Star Wars the Clone Wars, the way I see it is he is more Pure in his character, unaffected by the actor. Whereas the actor was more of a feeler showing it though his potrayal and voice definately. And in that way, Anakin in the movies and Anakin in the Clone Wars animated series are like two different people. But since Clone Wars Anakin seems to me, more pure, unaffected by the actor. I'm definately considering him being ENTJ.

Entroverted

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's hard to pin down. The character Anakin Skywalker in the prequels comes off like a very emotionally driven person. He also seems to rely strongly on his instincts and has a great aptitude for activities that require sensing-functions. Based on this, I'd say ISFP. Yet it's hard to pinpoint what are traits related to his immaturity in the prequels and the emotional dysfunction stemming from his childhood rather than innate characteristics. Another thing is that when he makes his transformation into Darth Vader, he progresses into either INTJ or ENTJ from my perspective. There's a certain rigidity to Darth Vader that I couldn't possibly associate with a Perceiver-type.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I disagree and see a lot of Fe, enough to actually see ENFJ. I agree about the 8w9 and low level of health. 8w9 sx/so.

His whole arc of descending into darkness was driven by a fear that he couldn't save someone else (in this way, a similar character is Boromir from the Lord of the Rings, though the latter is SO, not SX). From a young age, he always felt a strong drive to help others. Anakin was "seduced" by a man and later, an idea he thought might prevent a loved one from dying, and the weakness and vulnerability - feelings 8s are always afraid of, as well - his personal loss caused made him easy to manipulate.

People who look at his impulsivity aren't digging deep enough IMO. What about his motivations?

The Star Wars universe is different to ours, so that he was a gifted mechanic shouldn't influence how we type him.

Moshpitjoe

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I would say ESFP. Sometimes I see a lot in common with him and myself in our facial expressions and the way we deal with our emotions :huh:

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm still going with ISTP, practical hands-on solutions from young Anakin to old Vader. Palpatine is the strategist I think you'll find.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Bellflower said Anakin was ENTP as a teenager. I am really surprised by this. ENTP Akakin was definitely not as archtype of a goofy upbeat person. ENTP Akakin was incredibly aggressive.