• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Male Thinkers who are really Feelers in Disguise?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a few F guy friends who aren't afraid to show it. It's admirable; I think they've rubbed off on me somehat. I just don't do the crying LOL
neither do I. I've tried to cry in movies, but I just can't.

I'm just as critical as I am empathetic. They go hand in hand as far I'm concerned. Where there may be strong empathy in one place, there could be disappointment somewhere else. And this isn't exactly out of the ordinary for men.. I think many men unashamedly do it all of the time. For example, if I was out and about and invited to a party.. and noticed that everyone was trying to ditch some guy or girl, impolitely leaving them hanging or something, I might be disgusted in all of them, punk them out right to their faces, and not go myself... convinced that it was a bad idea and a waste of my time to hang out with people like that. I mean, what's really in the forefront is my own particular point of view and what's being violated. Not empathy. Empathy is a byproduct of that. And it's selective. I don't empathize as a thing in and of itself. If anything, that's probably more common with Fe. To contrast it with the Fi definition given above:

The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.
I agree with pretty much all of this, but I think that Fi deals with a few aspects of this as well. Intuition also plays an important role in informed empathy as understanding why one is feeling a certain way is just as important as knowing what one is feeling. my theatre teacher brought up a good example of this last semester:
"simply feeling what the character in the play is feeling is not enough. if you feel upset because you see Hitler crying about a little boy who escaped from the concentration camps, this is not an example of informed empathy"

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
but I think that Fi deals with a few aspects of this as well.

No. it. doesn't.. You missed all the debate on this.. Fe is Fe and Fi is Fi.. both are perfectly defined..
If you feel as an Fi Dom or Aux.. that you also possess some these Fe qualities, that is because you also use Fe and thus, identify with Fe, not because they can also be attributed to Fi.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. it. doesn't.. You missed all the debate on this.. Fe is Fe and Fi is Fi.. both are perfectly defined..
If you feel as an Fi Dom or Aux.. that you also possess some these Fe qualities, that is because you also use Fe and thus, identify with Fe, not because they can also be attributed to Fi.

so you're saying that there is no overlap between Fi and Fe? I am inclined to disagree, but I could be wrong. Being considerate is very important to me, not necessarily because I am in touch with other's emotions, but more on a level of morals and integrity.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember once I was taking an online personality test and got INTJ, and I said "that's interesting"

I remember later I was taking a similar test and took the notion that I might be an INFP as a kind of terminal cancer-esque death sentence. At least, that was my initial reaction. I've learned to cope since then

Sol_

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I know there are more male feelers out there, but where are they? are they in hiding because they're too sensitive and afraid of what the world might think of their feelings?

No one type affraids to express his strong functions. Type better and you'll find them.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
No one type affraids to express his strong functions. Type better and you'll find them.

Yeah, I know quite a many male feelers who aren't hiding their emotions. One just has to remind himself that (straight) male feelers show their emotions usually differently from female feelers(and other way round, female thinkers show their lack thereof differently from male thinkers). f.e., no one would say Onizuka Eikichi would behave like a woman, although he's obviously a F (to be exact, an ESFP).

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I know there are more male feelers out there, but where are they? are they in hiding because they're too sensitive and afraid of what the world might think of their feelings? is anyone else here a male feeler?

The ones that survive as long as I have generally have a thick skin. And just don't give a flying rats ass what most people think. What's the point?

Since many people are ignorant, petty, vindictive, asshats, who are just as damaged as we are, if not more so. Why would anyone with half a brain listen to what they have to say? Let alone take them seriously.

Choose the people you associate with wisely. Learn to read people, and there will be less emotional turmoil.

There's some emotion for ya...

G

garbage

I don't really know what we're talking about anymore but I'm a male feeler

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I guess that's my point. I've heard Feelers make up only about 30% of males, but I see a lot more who I think are F than that. for instance, one of my favorite classes in high school was comprised of mostly male ESFPs. the class was so reambunctious that when the teacher would leave people would randomly start tackling each other and doing all kinds of crazy thing (I think the teacher was ISFP because he didn't really care)

rav3n

I know there are more male feelers out there, but where are they? are they in hiding because they're too sensitive and afraid of what the world might think of their feelings? is anyone else here a male feeler?
There's one male feeler on TypeC who's in denial even though it's blatantly obvious to everyone what he is. I've noticed that male feelers reject their feeling decision making function since they feel it's not attractive to women and other men won't respect them. What they fail to realise is that when they're in such obvious denial, it's more likely people won't respect them for their dishonesty.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Conversely, I'm a female thinker and it took me a long time to realize that I wasn't an "F."

Every since then, everything has made so much more sense. Now I can't even imagine how I ever thought otherwise.

O

Oberon

There's a saying, I don't know where it came from but I've heard it said:

"Most men are romantics pretending to be pragmatists. Most women are pragmatists pretending to be romantics."

Interesting...

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
There are many people who can outsmart me in a second by knowing every author to every book once written and think they are intelligent. They are, their intelligence can be compared to that of a harddrive; but to learn the language of F-types and to understand their intelligence that's a challenge, because their intelligence nearly always involves making the toughest and personally most unpleasant decisions in life

Thank-you. It's a challenge to be intelligently empathetic and in tune with other's feelings.

rav3n

Conversely, I'm a female thinker and it took me a long time to realize that I wasn't an "F."

Every since then, everything has made so much more sense. Now I can't even imagine how I ever thought otherwise.
I don't understand the denial thing when it comes to typing. The more honest a person is with themselves, the easier it is to live with yourself and the more helpful that MBTI can be.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
There's a saying, I don't know where it came from but I've heard it said:

"Most men are romantics pretending to be pragmatists. Most women are pragmatists pretending to be romantics."

Interesting...

I agree with this for the most part. I think women have to be a lot more pragmatic about love though because we're making a decision for ourselves and another being (future kiddies).

KDude

I'm neither romantic or pragmatic, I think. I try not to involve myself much in that aspect.

..I guess it could be for both pragmatic and "sensitive" reasons. Basically, I'm like many people who are sick of dating.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
When I have a feeling about someone, I do filter it through my values, but that's only one step. the goal of feeling as a cognitive process is understanding the problem, not just seeing if it's 'right' or 'proper' in some sense based on internal parameters. The answer that is most beneficial will come from using intuition and feeling, but also logic. the goal is to address the problem at several levels.
I think people still have trouble differentiating between 'feeling' as emotion ( or being emotional) and 'feeling' as a process of filtering intuitive information to solve problems. It can be very emotional, but only because it is partially unconscious.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I'm neither romantic or pragmatic, I think. I try not to involve myself much in that aspect.

..I guess it could be for both pragmatic and "sensitive" reasons. Basically, I'm like many people who are sick of dating.

It's annoying. I think I'd rather watch Dexter at this point.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I don't understand the denial thing when it comes to typing. The more honest a person is with themselves, the easier it is to live with yourself and the more helpful that MBTI can be.

It wasn't about denial, I just didn't know enough about it. The more I delved into MBTI and Jungian functions, the better I understood and the more clear everything became.

It also doesn't help that ENFP and ENTP can be similar in a lot of respects (in general type descriptions, not in function order). What I thought was Fi with Te, I finally realized was Ti with Fe. When I made that conclusion, everything fell into place. :shrug:

rav3n

It wasn't about denial, I just didn't know enough about it. The more I delved into MBTI and Jungian functions, the better I understood and the more clear everything became.

It also doesn't help that ENFP and ENTP can be similar in a lot of respects (in general type descriptions, not in function order). What I thought was Fi with Te, I finally realized was Ti with Fe. When I made that conclusion, everything fell into place. :shrug:
Sorry, I wasn't saying you were in denial. Once it fell into place, you embraced it instead of denying it.