• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hayao Miyazaki

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
A. K. A. the guy who made such gems such as My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. (I can't get all his movies in my present location, but I hope I can someday! :))

After seeing his work, as well as his IMDB page, I think he's an xNFP, or at least someone with strong Fi (elements such as childhood and environmentalism pop up frequently in his movies, and he made a point of not going to the USA to receive an award because the country was at war with Iraq; all that sounds Fi-ish to me...)

However, I have zero clue about his enneagram type. Any guesses? Or objections to my attempt at typing him?

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Such an NF that it hurts! I'm just glad to see someone else sees him as some type of NF.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely agreed, NF, just saw Whisper of the Heart this last weekend.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
his movies are INFP as hell, I think he's probably an NFP of some sort

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, the first thing that came into my mind was INFP, but I dislike jumping the gun. I'm not sure how extraverted he is (filmmakers come in both types, of course), and I don't think sensitivity = NF (Spielberg, for example, is an ISFP). But it seems my hunch was not without merit. :D

The guy's enneagram, OTOH, is a mystery. I'm thinking maybe 9w1 or 4w3, but those are just guesses. Ideas?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have Spielberg as an e56 so/sp intj.

Ask someone who understands Japanese and mbti to take a look?

e91 so/sp infp is my estimate. Talks about how children are his main audience.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
enneagram is a little more complicated, although he is certainly either a 4, 7 or 9 (I think there are a lot more INFP 7s than go reported. it comes out much more subtly than with ENP, and SP 7s). if I had to guess though I'd say 4w5.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I have Spielberg as an e56 so/sp intj.

Ask someone who understands Japanese and mbti to take a look?

I'm kinda curious about your thoughts on Spielberg, but I don't want to de-rail the thread... Have you posted your thoughts on him in another thread? Just curious, that's all. Also, is that last line a question or a suggestion? I'm confused! :thinking:

e91 so/sp infp is my estimate. Talks about how children are his main audience.

He does? Is that interview available on YouTube?

(Also, that's a neat enneagram notation! Did you invent it? :))

enneagram is a little more complicated, although he is certainly either a 4, 7 or 9 (I think there are a lot more INFP 7s than go reported. it comes out much more subtly than with ENP, and SP 7s). if I had to guess though I'd say 4w5.

Why a Five wing? Just curious.

Thanks for responding, guys! :hug:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think Miyazaki is an ISFP.

I did put forward that theory. Like I said, the Fi seems strong with Miyazaki-san. :newwink:

Just outta curiosity, why ISFP instead of xNFP? Do you think he's got strong Se?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I did put forward that theory. Like I said, the Fi seems strong with Miyazaki-san. :newwink:

Just outta curiosity, why ISFP instead of xNFP? Do you think he's got strong Se?

I agree that he seems to have strong Fi. I said ISFP instead of INFP because he seems hung up on environmental themes (which, if we go by stereotypes, tree-huggers are more close to ISFP than INFP.) And, MUCH less importantly (because anyone can use rhetorical devices, and I kind of hate this type of interpretation), the (over)use of symbols in his storytelling strikes me more as lower Ni than high Ne. So strong ethical focus (Fi) + environmental hang-up (FiSe) + (over)use of symbolism as a device (Ni) makes me think ISFP over INFP.

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First off, I love Miyazaki's work. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are two of my all time favorite movies. They resonate with me in a way very few other things have ever come close to.

I agree that he seems to have strong Fi. I said ISFP instead of INFP because he seems hung up on environmental themes (which, if we go by stereotypes, tree-huggers are more close to ISFP than INFP.) And, MUCH less importantly (because anyone can use rhetorical devices, and I kind of hate this type of interpretation), the (over)use of symbols in his storytelling strikes me more as lower Ni than high Ne. So strong ethical focus (Fi) + environmental hang-up (FiSe) + (over)use of symbolism as a device (Ni) makes me think ISFP over INFP.

Interesting argument, but from what I've seen INFPs love symbolism too, wouldn't you say? The combination of Fi/Ne could produce many symbolic aspects in his work just as Ni would. Symbolism isn't exclusively assosciated with Ni, right? (seeing as how Fi chooses to endorse whatever is reflective of it's inner ideals, and Ne is the master process behind making assosciations and connections between things) What would be an example of some distinctly "Ni" inspired symbolism that he's used?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
First off, I love Miyazaki's work. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are two of my all time favorite movies. They resonate with me in a way very few other things have ever come close to.

Interesting argument, but from what I've seen INFPs love symbolism too, wouldn't you say? The combination of Fi/Ne could produce many symbolic aspects in his work just as Ni would. Symbolism isn't exclusively assosciated with Ni, right? (seeing as how Fi chooses to endorse whatever is reflective of it's inner ideals, and Ne is the master process behind making assosciations and connections between things) What would be an example of some distinctly "Ni" inspired symbolism that he's used?

Yeah, this is why I don't like using that type of argument. You are correct, it is perfectly true that an INFP could (and perhaps would) use lots of symbolism in their work. If you want, you can disregard what I said about Ni. I wash my hands of it.

I stand by the tree-hugger = ISFP bit, though.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, this is why I don't like using that type of argument. You are correct, it is perfectly true that an INFP could (and perhaps would) use lots of symbolism in their work. If you want, you can disregard what I said about Ni. I wash my hands of it.

I stand by the tree-hugger = ISFP bit, though.

I can see your argument for ISFP, but if anything, there are probably MORE INFP tree huggers than ISFP. they are after all the most idealistic of all the types. I am still leaning INFP, but ISFP is certainly a possibility

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ

I'm curious - what do you mean by "overuse of symbols"?

I can see your argument for ISFP, but if anything, there are probably MORE INFP tree huggers than ISFP. they are after all the most idealistic of all the types. I am still leaning INFP, but ISFP is certainly a possibility

I've never watched any interviews featuring him, I'll admit... but why do you fancy him as an introvert? Strength of Fi?

On an OT note, I swear I can find neither Princess Mononoke nor Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind in my present location - is that unfair or what? :(

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious - what do you mean by "overuse of symbols"?

I've never watched any interviews featuring him, I'll admit... but why do you fancy him as an introvert? Strength of Fi?

On an OT note, I swear I can find neither Princess Mononoke nor Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind in my present location - is that unfair or what? :(

he could also be ENFP :yes:

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My guess is either ENFP (reserved E) or INFJ. INFP's characters usually have a different quality... but I'm basing most of this off Howl's Moving Castle. It's been years since I watched anything else of his. His story-telling smacks of ENFP, but INFJ's seem to be more drawn to film/animation. The detail in the movies makes me want to type him as a J.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
My guess is either ENFP (reserved E) or INFJ. INFP's characters usually have a different quality... but I'm basing most of this off Howl's Moving Castle. It's been years since I watched anything else of his. His story-telling smacks of ENFP, but INFJ's seem to be more drawn to film/animation. The detail in the movies makes me want to type him as a J.

But INFPs can be attentive to detail by using tertiary Si, no? Also, could you elaborate on what you mean by "a different quality"?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Update: I finally found clips of Miyazaki on YouTube.

I may have to revise my typing... The way he name-drops his animation buddies and shares their worry about how the film will be received seems Fe-ish, though I'm no expert on Fe/Fi. Also, could the comment about the 30-year gap in movie enjoyment be a sign of Ni, which is anticipatory? :thinking: That'd point towards INFJ...

Suggestions welcome!

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Also, he does sound more 9w1 than 4... Avoids voicing criticism and goes out of his way to praise his acquaintances. Not that Fours are unkind, mind you! :blush: It's just, Miyazaki doesn't sound so fixated on the "expression" part of his work.