• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Byronic Hero

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know much about him, but I would guess ENFP, like Oscar Wilde. This thread is about Byronic Heros. But then again you've never let simple facts get in the way of insinuating that I only do typology to associate impossibly cool people with my type, thereby assuaging my inferred sense of inadequacy. :rolleyes:
Byronic heroes are so-called because of their resemblance to Byron. Derp.
You should give up trying to type others, you are shockingly bad at it.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Byronic heroes are so-called because of their resemblance to Byron. Derp.
You should give up trying to type others, you are shockingly bad at it.

Byronic Heros are so called because of their resemblance to Byron's Heros, and perhaps to idealized representations of Byron's life in media and his pseudo-autobiographies. It is a literary trope designed to be applied to fictional characters rather than real people. The self involved, idealized antihero actually predates Byron, despite being named for him. Milton's Satan is the initial prototype, particularly the interpretation by romanticist poets (such as Byron) of the character as an unintended and unusual heroic figure. You should give up trying to nettle me, you're shockingly bad at it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19916]Emotionalogic[/MENTION] - I agree mostly with your list with the exception of struggling with integrity answer. It seems more F or at least equal F and T for different reasons. A strong F may often encounter situations where the only feasible solution or choice involves violating one of their own values and then later on reflect upon their compromise of ethical integrity (probably with a degree of shame.) T's to me seem like they would just get down to the task and if the F functions do turn up they would just suppress them or rationalise them out of existence through stoic and strong logic. F's don't really have this luxury.
I agree. I do think significant enough violations of integrity will eventually come back to haunt even a tert/inf Fi user, and can cause considerable internal havoc. The effect will be delayed/deferred more than with a F-dom/aux, however, and will be a less significant or obvious part of their external presentation.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INTJ for sure.

Though TV Tropes also mentions Jay Gatsby, who seems INFJ, and Tony Stark, who seems ENTP.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJ for sure.

Though TV Tropes also mentions Jay Gatsby, who seems INFJ, and Tony Stark, who seems ENTP.

Scroll down to the real life section where they talk about how Michael Jackson is a modern Byronic Hero.

I'd take that site with a pinch of salt.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Scroll down to the real life section where they talk about how Michael Jackson is a modern Byronic Hero.

I'd take that site with a pinch of salt.

:laugh: Geez.

Well yes, I can indeed think for myself.

TV Tropes came up when I googled Byronic Hero, which I found entertaining. I think Gatsby and Stark both qualify, personally.

Little_Sticks

I always thought Guts from Berserk fit a Byronic Hero pretty well. I think of him as ISTP in case it really matters what I think to someone.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:laugh: Geez.

Well yes, I can indeed think for myself.

TV Tropes came up when I googled Byronic Hero, which I found entertaining. I think Gatsby and Stark both qualify, personally.

Remember, I'm not saying all Byronic Heros are INTJs, just that that's the most common type for them. ENTP and INFJ are both possibilities, but they won't fit the trope as well. Stark isn't angsty enough, and Gatsby isn't arrogant enough. They may qualify, but not as well as Frankenstein, Heathcliff, Rochester, Raskolnikov, Darcy, Dantes, or Onegin, all INTJs.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Byronic Heros are so called because of their resemblance to Byron's Heros, and perhaps to idealized representations of Byron's life in media and his pseudo-autobiographies. It is a literary trope designed to be applied to fictional characters rather than real people. The self involved, idealized antihero actually predates Byron, despite being named for him. Milton's Satan is the initial prototype, particularly the interpretation by romanticist poets (such as Byron) of the character as an unintended and unusual heroic figure. You should give up trying to nettle me, you're shockingly bad at it.
It's good that being told you're wrong doesn't nettle you. (In this you are unlike other INTJs.)
Your analysis is inane and misses the point. (In this you are quite like other INTJs.)

The "Byronic Hero" exhibits a constellation of pathological traits which can be exhibited by a person of any type. However, the chief redeeming qualities - charm and charisma - are not typically associated with INTJs. Quite the reverse. INTJ arrogance is generally repulsive to others.

Your distinction between "Byron the man" and "Byron the legend", is moot. Byron is the archetypal "mad, bad and dangerous to know" Byronic hero and the only non-fictional person attached to the type and is therefore, the only valid candidate for typing. It is much more useful to consider this characterisation through the lens of psychological disorder than to impose an arbitrary (and ill-fitting) MBTI type upon it.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's good that being told you're wrong doesn't nettle you. (In this you are unlike other INTJs.)
Your analysis is inane and misses the point. (In this you are quite like other INTJs.)

It is ironic that you attribute inane analysis and arrogance to INTJs while displaying both of them so clearly in your post. Have you considered that, according to your ludicrous and prejudicial version of typology (which seems entirely disconnected from the work of Jung or Myers) you yourself are likely an INTJ?

The "Byronic Hero" exhibits a constellation of pathological traits which can be exhibited by a person of any type.

Obviously. Perhaps you missed the post where I went over those traits and discussed their correlations with MBTI, then determined that INTJs fit best (but not exclusively). Perhaps you also missed the part where INTJ is the overwhelming consensus among other posters in the thread.

However, the chief redeeming qualities - charm and charisma - are not typically associated with INTJs.

Charm and Charisma are almost entirely unrelated to type, and many INTJs have been very charismatic. Consider John Maynard Keynes, Christopher Hitchens, Vladimir Lenin, and Martin Luther.

Quite the reverse. INTJ arrogance is generally repulsive to others.

opinionman.png

Your distinction between "Byron the man" and "Byron the legend", is moot. Byron is the archetypal "mad, bad and dangerous to know" Byronic hero and the only non-fictional person attached to the type and is therefore, the only valid candidate for typing.

This is wrong in so many ways. Byron is certainly not the only non-fictional person attached to the type, as he himself considered Napoleon a shining example of the trope. And, as I said before, this thread is about a fictional character type, so the only really valid candidates for typing are fictional characters. Real people like Napoleon and Byron might bare some similarity to the trope, but they can't really fit it (except in idealized portrayals) because they're not literary figures, so literary tropes don't apply.

It is much more useful to consider this characterisation through the lens of psychological disorder than to impose an arbitrary (and ill-fitting) MBTI type upon it.

It is entirely possible that the traits of the Byronic Hero bear resemblance to psychological disorders like Narcissism or APD. I fail to see how that's any less arbitrary than pointing out a resemblance to an MBTI type though. If you think this is all a waste of time, then why on earth have you posted on the site 10,000 times? Are you just a really dedicated troll?

Attachments

• 5166465451_ded900eaf8_z.jpg
    5166465451_ded900eaf8_z.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 102