• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Child Prodigies

MerkW

I started the exact same thread on a socionics forum. So thus I proceed. Here are some people who were child prodigies during their childhood. What do you think is the MBTI type of each? Also, do you think that there is any correlation whatsoever between MBTI type and child prodigies?

Norbert Wiener, mathematician
wiener-norbert.jpg

Terrence Tao, mathematician
Terence%20Tao_qjpreviewth.jpg

Blaise Pascal, mathematician
pascal.jpg

Brian Greene, theoretical physicist, mental calculator
greene.jpg

John von Neumann, mathematician (among other things)
VonNeumann.jpg

Daniel Tammet, mental calculator, linguistic savant
Pitimer001.jpg

H.P. Lovecraft, writer
hpl2.jpg

Pablo Picasso, visual artist
picasso_photo.JPG

Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, social reformer
jeremy-bentham.jpg

John Stuart Mill, philosopher, social reformer

Bobby Fischer, grandmaster, chess prodigy
fischer_bobby.jpg

Carl Friedrich Gauss, mathematician
gauss.gif

Ruth Lawrence, mathematician
ruthel%5B1%5D.gif

William James Sidis, polymath, mathematician, scholar
200px-William_James_Sidis_1914.jpg

Paul Erdos, mathematician
paul-erdos.jpg

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bobby Fisher: ENTp

H.P. Lovecraft: INTp

Daniel Tammet: ENTp or ISTp

Brian Greene: INTj

Blaise Pascal: ISFj

William James Sidis: ESTp

Ruth Lawrence: ESFj

Terrence Tao: ENTp

Best guesses...

I don't want to use MBTI types here because then they would all be stereotypical NTs.

And keep in mind, I'm not very good at Socionics, so take my types with a grain of salt.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
John von Neumann strikes me as an ENTJ, from what little I've read of his biography.

Erdos -- INTP.

Dunno much about the others.

MerkW

John von Neumann strikes me as an ENTJ, from what little I've read of his biography.

Definitely.

@ Uber:
Ruth Lawrence as an ESFj? I doubt it. Also, I am pretty sure that Brian Greene is an Exxp type. Sidis is definitely not an ESTp. I could agree with the rest.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely.

@ Uber:
Ruth Lawrence as an ESFj? I doubt it. Also, I am pretty sure that Brian Greene is an Exxp type. Sidis is definitely not an ESTp. I could agree with the rest.

I'm using Socionics Visual Identification (to the best of my ability). Ruth Lawrence appears to be an ESFj in Socionics, Greene an INTj.

MerkW

I'm using Socionics Visual Identification (to the best of my ability). Ruth Lawrence appears to be an ESFj in Socionics, Greene an INTj.

Aha. I thought you were socio-typing them by using model A blocks. In my opinion, V.I. is very dubious. I would not be surprised if there were a correlation between facial expressions and voice tone, yet a correlation between facial structure and personality sounds like rubbish to me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Bobby Fischer was an MBTI INTJ, if that makes you feel better.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Care to name a few more non-mathematician prodigies? :huh: I only say that because this is a cool idea but I don't find mathematicians interesting for the most part.

I'll take a stab at Picasso though, but I'll need to look at some of his works and read about him a bit more.

Cool idea!

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Sounds rather reasonable. Definitely IxTx. Rather interesting character, he was.

If we accept that the INTJ is the "mastermind" and "the strategist" then Bobby Fischer probably was an INTJ.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Care to name a few more non-mathematician prodigies? :huh: I only say that because this is a cool idea but I don't find mathematicians interesting for the most part.

I'll take a stab at Picasso though, but I'll need to look at some of his works and read about him a bit more.

Cool idea!

Many websites type Picasso as an ESFP but I disagree. I think he was an ENFP because his work was to surreal to have been created by someone with a dominant Se. However, to me Ne makes more sense.

MerkW

If we accept that the INTJ is the "mastermind" and "the strategist" then Bobby Fischer probably was an INTJ.

True, but there is nothing particularly N nor J about him. I was thinking IxTJ as a first, ISTP second, and INTP last.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
True, but there is nothing particularly N nor J about him. I was thinking IxTJ as a first, ISTP second, and INTP last.

His rebellious personality is very ISTP, as didn't he renounce America and move to Iceland? However a sensor probably would not find something intangible like chess to be very interesting.

Given the fact that one could memorize many strategies (Si?) you could build a strong case that he was an ISTJ.

MerkW

His rebellious personality is very ISTP, as didn't he renounce America and move to Iceland? However a sensor probably would not find something intangible like chess to be very interesting.

Given the fact that one could memorize many strategies (Si?) you could build a strong case that he was an ISTJ.

He didn't really move to Iceland. Rather, he was kicked out of the US for refusing to pay taxes. He made many anti-American remarks, and very surprisingly, extremely antisemitic remarks (even though he was of Jewish decent).

How exactly is chess intangible, though?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
He didn't really move to Iceland. Rather, he was kicked out of the US for refusing to pay taxes. He made many anti-American remarks, and very surprisingly, extremely antisemitic remarks (even though he was of Jewish decent).

How exactly is chess intangible, though?

Perhaps intangible is the wrong word. Bear with me on this, firstly it's a game. As such it has little use beyond itself. You can't do anything with it. Playing chess will neither cure AIDs nor find the origin of the universe. It's impractical. Hmm ... I cannot offer an adequate explanation of intangible.

To be honest I just can't imagine an artisan sitting around playing a complex board game.

MerkW

Ah, I see. Well, SPs aren't always into "usefulness." Take ESFPs, for instance. They often prefer to spend their time partying and living a hedonistic lifestyle. This is has no pragmatic result whatsoever. The same may be applied to ISFPs and ISTPs, if you catch what I am trying to say. INTJs, on the other hand are very much into pragmatic application. I honestly don't think that it is all about S vs. N.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ah, I see. Well, SPs aren't always into "usefulness." Take ESFPs, for instance. They often prefer to spend their time partying and living a hedonistic lifestyle. This is has no pragmatic result whatsoever. The same may be applied to ISFPs and ISTPs, if you catch what I am trying to say. INTJs, on the other hand are very much into pragmatic application. I honestly don't think that it is all about S vs. N.

How the hell did I miss that? Good point. Perhaps he was an ISTP then as chess, like many things pursued by artisans is fun.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Chess is a game which relies heavily on strategy, at which the Rationals excel. I vote INTJ.

Jae Rae

MerkW

Chess is a game which relies heavily on strategy, at which the Rationals excel. I vote INTJ.

Jae Rae

True, but chess is also a game which heavily relies upon tactics, which is would more accurately be described as the realm of STPs.