User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 63

  1. #41
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I know I could Google this, but what are "mos italicus" and "mos gallicus"?
    Simply put, ways of interpreting legal texts. The mos italicus adhered to the authority and absolute rightness of the original texts and early commentaries; the mos gallicus viewed the texts as texts, written in certain times by certain human beings, and rather tried to make sense of the corpus of legal texts (corpus iuris civilis) in its entirety. You can guess which came first.

  2. #42
    Let Go Of Your Team Zarathustra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Once a small child came up to me and called me a fucker. I thought it was pretty funny to called names by a 6 year old!
    I'll take the same attitude to your ad hominem attack.
    I engaged with your argument at all levels.

    And, once again, I now must point out your hypocrisy (is that an ad hominem, too?): I like how you respond to my supposed ad hominem with one all your own...

    Very insightful.

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    You're right, you said that Zarathustra was INTJ. I missread your post. Still, my conclusion stands.
    As I said before, conviction in opposition to evidence.

    Just now, you don't have the benefit of having simply misinterpreted the evidence.

    Now you realize that you misinterpreted the evidence, but are still trying to cling to your conviction.

    Fi. It's such a funny thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It's interesting to me that you have some after me with such venom. Is that type realted too, or simply an admission?
    Well, I could certainly give you a functional explanation as to why.

    And it would be quite illuminating and accurate.

    But let's just call it an eye for an eye.

    Except that, in my case, I have plucked out both of yours (which weren't very good in the first place), and kept both of mine intact.

    In fact, everyone who will ever read this conversation will see as much.

    To which Athenian200's comments about your behavior stand as an early testament.

    Of course, you could also simply offer an apology for misrepresenting another person's (peoples', really...) thought, and thereby hold onto the last shred of your rapidly disintegrating dignity.
    The Justice Fighter

    INTJ - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

    "I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

    "Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

    The Aggressive 6
    Debator


  3. #43
    Let Go Of Your Team Zarathustra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Simply put, ways of interpreting legal texts. The mos italicus adhered to the authority and absolute rightness of the original texts and early commentaries; the mos gallicus viewed the texts as texts, written in certain times by certain human beings, and rather tried to make sense of the corpus of legal texts (corpus iuris civilis) in its entirety. You can guess which came first.
    Would I be correct in reading this as similar to the strict constructionism vs. loose constructionism debate over the U.S. Constitution?

    (I apologize beforehand if you're not familiar; I'm quite astounded by the level of knowledge the non-Americans here seem to have of U.S. politics [et al], and I'm never quite sure where it ends or begins...)
    The Justice Fighter

    INTJ - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

    "I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

    "Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

    The Aggressive 6
    Debator


  4. #44
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Would I be correct in reading this as similar to the strict constructionism vs. loose constructionism debate over the U.S. Constitution?
    Yes, I believe you would.

  5. #45
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Simply put, ways of interpreting legal texts. The mos italicus adhered to the authority and absolute rightness of the original texts and early commentaries; the mos gallicus viewed the texts as texts, written in certain times by certain human beings, and rather tried to make sense of the corpus of legal texts (corpus iuris civilis) in its entirety. You can guess which came first.
    Those terms would translate from Latin as The Italian way, and the Gallic way, so I knew that those methods of interpreting law came from Italy and Gaul (France) respectively. I just didn't know what they meant.

    Many Americans seem to believe that the idea of loose construction and strict construction are an original American debate, and fail even in their terminology to acknowlege how old this debate about interpreting documents actually is.

    This could well be an archetypical representation of Te vs. Ti.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    This could well be an archetypical representation of Te vs. Ti.
    Perhaps it is because I do not believe in function theory that I did not see that before, but you are perfectly right. I do believe, however, that Te is the way of the enlightenment.

  7. #47
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,857

    Default

    Te is the way of the enlightenment ? Wow what's next ? Si is the way of prostitution ?

    If you have a glimpse around the forum, is majorly NF people who have a penchant for talking philosophy at all. I do not think that Te is the way of enlightenment

  8. #48
    Let Go Of Your Team Zarathustra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,154

    Default

    Te = empiricism = the Enlightenment

    At least there you can see a connection, and an understandable one at that.

    What the hell would be the connection between Si and prostitution?

    Btw, Ti = rationalism = also part of the Enlightenment, albeit more or less in conflict with empiricism
    The Justice Fighter

    INTJ - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

    "I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

    "Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

    The Aggressive 6
    Debator


  9. #49
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Te is the way of the enlightenment ? Wow what's next ? Si is the way of prostitution ?
    I cannot believe you said that. Lol. My thoughts exactly!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    — Mark Twain

  10. #50
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    An ubermensch would have all the positive aspects of all the traits and none of the negatives.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: 05-10-2018, 10:37 PM
  2. The Madmin Blog
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  3. Eileen (to the left)
    By Eileen in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO