• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Forest Gump!

Sunny Ghost

Forrest also has great Se, it seems. Running... ping pong... putting together his gun quickly...

but can someone mentally retarded really fit into proper meyers brigg typing?

I don't know much on the topic. But maybe that explains strong Se and Fe?? But agreed... ISFx.

Jenny-ISFP or ENFP. Hard to know her motivations. Though I lean more towards ISFP.

Bubba-ESFP?? No idea.

Mrs. Gump-xSFJ.

Lt. Dan-INTJ?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I could see it being Fe. The reason why he puts his gun together quickly is because his instructor would be pleased, as well as because he was told to do so, but this might be something he learned through surviving in the army.

Sunny Ghost

I could see it being Fe. The reason why he puts his gun together quickly is because his instructor would be pleased, as well as because he was told to do so, but this might be something he learned through surviving in the army.

i considered that aspect as well. and the same with jenny telling him to run, or the guy telling him to keep an eye on the ball.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can't wrap my head around why it's worth guessing characters' types when those who value typology are clearly a minority. Let's come to an agreement on the types of actors involved beforehand. Identify consistency (or lack thereof) in character portrayal according to mbti descriptions, personal experience, forum correspondence; do whatever it takes to figure out whether the filmmaker(s) either consciously or unconsciously sets mbti cubicles in place, or does neither, in which case, if you're still at it, I'd reconsider that career selling completed paint by numbers kits.

Hanks, who is an enfj, has demonstrated time and time again that it takes little effort to let his inner severe mental retardation shine through, regardless of whether or not the given role gives the green light.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think typing characters is more of hobby than actually trying to find a bigger picture. It serves no real purpose other than to occupy the mind. Whether the director was thinking about types (Even if they used a different name for it) the characters usually still have a strong archetypal equivalent even if on accident. The point of acting is not to be yourself so it should be that the actors type does not matter.

KDude

I can't wrap my head around why it's worth guessing characters' types when those who value typology are clearly a minority. Let's come to an agreement on the types of actors involved beforehand. Identify consistency (or lack thereof) in character portrayal according to mbti descriptions, personal experience, forum correspondence; do whatever it takes to figure out whether the filmmaker(s) either consciously or unconsciously sets mbti cubicles in place, or does neither, in which case, if you're still at it, I'd reconsider that career selling completed paint by numbers kits.

Hanks, who is an enfj, has demonstrated time and time again that it takes little effort to let his inner severe mental retardation shine through, regardless of whether or not the given role gives the green light.

It's not a bad idea to put some thought into these typings, but people are just having fun/wasting time. It's not serious business. If you're upset with some of the typings here, just say so, offer your own insight, and go about your way. Why do you bother with expressing your disapproval? It'd get really boring if people weren't simply allowed to waste time with bullshit like this, and had to worry about whether you can wrap your head around it or not. I'd be friendlier right now, but it almost sounds like you're actually taking some passive aggressive swipe at everyone with the "paint by numbers" comment. If I'm reading it wrong, my bad. If not, lighten up.

Sunny Ghost

what's wrong with putting our mbti knowledge to fun guessing games like typing characters of some of our favorite movies and television shows? i see no harm in it, just as i see no harm in trek fans and conventions or anime nerds and cosplay or trivia goers. they're just fun hobbies, ways of flexing the mind or ones creativity, in ways that amuse us.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't know much on the topic. But maybe that explains strong Se and Fe?? But agreed... ISFx.

Jenny-ISFP or ENFP. Hard to know her motivations. Though I lean more towards ISFP.

Bubba-ESFP?? No idea.

Mrs. Gump-xSFJ.

Lt. Dan-INTJ?

I definitly agree with Jenny. I think Bubba is in the same boat as Forrest to be honest. He found someone who he could fully relate too, but he lost him in the war. I think we could say that Mrs. Gump is probably an E. She isn't ashamed that her son is below average, but she most definitly treats him differently and knows that he is different and protects him because of that. As for Lt. Dan.... I haven't really thought about his type too much. He likes things to make sense. Perhaps Ti? It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's not a bad idea to put some thought into these typings, but people are just having fun/wasting time. It's not serious business. If you're upset with some of the typings here, just say so, offer your own insight, and go about your way. Why do you bother with expressing your disapproval? It'd get really boring if people weren't simply allowed to waste time with bullshit like this, and had to worry about whether you can wrap your head around it or not. I'd be friendlier right now, but it almost sounds like you're actually taking some passive aggressive swipe at everyone with the "paint by numbers" comment. If I'm reading it wrong, my bad. If not, lighten up.

I'm entirely just curious how solving nothing solves boredom.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, right?

Sunny Ghost

i mean... why play board games, or cards? why play video games? or heck, why watch movies or read fiction? why doodle? why waste countless hours on facebook or forums like typology central?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You mean the point of any puzzle ever? Just because the phrase is a cliche doesn't make it not true.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You were watching it? Strange. Then I must remember it well enough.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think typing characters is more of hobby than actually trying to find a bigger picture. It serves no real purpose other than to occupy the mind. Whether the director was thinking about types (Even if they used a different name for it) the characters usually still have a strong archetypal equivalent even if on accident. The point of acting is not to be yourself so it should be that the actors type does not matter.

Despite the fact that actors in leading roles can't hide or modify their type onscreen, unless it's a 5 minute short or they're camouflaged in cgi animation or fat/monster suit for the duration. The answers are so painfully obvious that I wonder why more users don't start from the implied angle.

I'm not discounting the notion that starting with characters can be fun or stimulating, but rather questioning effectiveness of the approach in the long term.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Shoot, I forgot about that "this is more of a hobby" part.

Sunny Ghost

Despite the fact that actors in leading roles can't hide or modify their type onscreen, unless it's a 5 minute short or they're camouflaged in cgi animation or fat/monster suit for the duration. The answers are so painfully obvious that I wonder why more users don't start from the implied angle.

I'm not discounting the notion that starting with characters can be fun or stimulating, but rather questioning effectiveness of the approach in the long term.

i think that good actors do well to not let their own type shine through the character.

with tom hanks and forrest gump, i don't see tom's personality so much as i see a character.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think that might be where the confusion lies. My aim isn't necessarily to find out ultimately the actor/actresses type, but how well they were able to be that character, but I do find what you said about starting with the actors type to figure out what the character will be. It points to the fact types can sometimes change order preferences to appear like another person a.k.a. Acting! Good observation.

KDude

I think that many characters are written with a type in mind - somewhat unconsciously - and that it's fun trying to find out which pattern they fall under (and I say "somewhat unconsciously" because I think archetypes might be a sort of natural phenemenon, and that writers tap into it often, even without referencing anything like MBTI). I understand that some things get in the way (the actor's type, the writer's type, etc..), but there's usually enough in characters that they can take on a life of their own. MBTI specifically was meant to be applied in the field of psychology/self-help/group dynamics, I guess, but it's also fun for playing around with subjects like this. Hell, some of Jung's research was about literary theory. So it all comes around full circle.

KDude

As for actors, I tend to have faith in the "character" actors to be good enough not get in the way, and the ones who are better at just "playing themselves" will always get parts that are like themselves (in which case, you can just focus on the actor's type). As for the character actors, a lot of them these days learn through the foundation set out by Stanislavski - and his students. One of his students in particular, Michael Chekhov (nephew of the playwright, Anton Chekhov), actually taught a method that had some type theory elements to it. His main focus was the "psychological gesture". He taught that if an actor could pinpoint the crux/gesture of a written character, then he/she would begin to embody the whole character effortlessly. And his influence ranges from Gregory Peck to Johnny Depp (he's long dead, but Depp is a fan of his books.. like many actors).

So anyways, just another thought. There's basis in this sort of psychological pattern recognition not only with writers, but with actors too. So the fun of it could be in deconstructing what they're doing.