• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pokemon anime MBTI

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ash: ESFP 3w2 7w6/6w7 8w7 soc dom (probably sx blind, but I can see good argument for sp blindness as he's just... very soc). I think he's too other's-centric later in the series to be considered an 8 core and, as mentioned before, he's very much a "buddy" sort of character rather than an aggressive or angry character who very much wants to "be the best". I think Se is fairly obvious in how aware he is to his physical environment and how he's very focused on initiating tangible responsibilities rather than abstract. His thought process is very linear and he has no concept of consequence.

Misty: ESFJ 6w7 (613 combo perhaps) so/sp; I don't actually see where people are getting the 2 core for her, her agreeableness is so low and it doesn't appear as if helping people or that sort of shame is central to her personality. Her anger is very superego, I could see 6w7 or maybe 1w2 core for her, but I think she's pretty reactive triad.

Brock: ESFJ 2w3 (somewhere between 271 or 269 maybe) so/sp. He's very others centric and keen on how to assist others in whatever they need. He's very aware of physical comfort and how to comfort and tend to those in need, hence why it seems more plausible for him to be high Si than Ni in my mind. Could also be sp blind, but the show in general is very sx blind so idk.

Jessie: ExTJ 3w4 (387) so/sp: By socionics standards, she probably is Se valuing, but by mbti standards I think by dichotomies, she's probably more S than N. I'm not 100% sure on this.

James: ISFP 9w1 so/sp (963 maybe): I feel like this is self explanatory. Enneagram I'm not 100% sure on.

Meowth: I'm absolutely lost, 3 core probably.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My first comment is Si is 100% about the past, this is a defining feature of Si. I've learned yes having memory of something isn't always Si but by definition Si is DEFINITELY about the past and sensory past details. It's like saying Se doesn't care about reacting to details in the moment, or Ne doesn't care about future possibilities, or Te doesn't care about efficiency, it's simply not true, those are the definitions, with more to the definitions of course but those are the core of them I mean, the past and past details is everything to Si.
The thing about Si is that Si is a dynamic processing function in both the mbti and socionics. Si isn't so much about the past as much as it is about experience, what can be tangibly derived from that, and analysis of that experience through a sensory oriented lens and using that to build towards the future. This is very much catered towards what particularly makes a Si user comfortable/uncomfortable and interest. Saying Si is about the past is a strong simplification of the function. Si is a comfort oriented function which is why it is often associated with "the past" and viewing the world purely from it, but I think in some of jungs earlier texts he made the distinction between Si and the past.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The thing about Si is that Si is a dynamic processing function in both the mbti and socionics. Si isn't so much about the past as much as it is about experience, what can be tangibly derived from that, and analysis of that experience through a sensory oriented lens and using that to build towards the future. This is very much catered towards what particularly makes a Si user comfortable/uncomfortable and interest. Saying Si is about the past is a strong simplification of the function. Si is a comfort oriented function which is why it is often associated with "the past" and viewing the world purely from it, but I think in some of jungs earlier texts he made the distinction between Si and the past.

The other issue I have with saying Si is about the past or "memories" and connecting those things to a function in general is that, if someone developed amnesia later in life by that logic they'd change types completely.
Now, I think Ash does "use" Si to some extent, but I don't think it's a valued function for him and I don't think he has the Ne to back it up - especially not enough to type him as an Ne dom lol. In regards to Socionics, SEE (ESFp) doesn't value Si but it can be used somewhat decently by them which I think could apply to Ash. It's very clear to me that his natural way of thinking is Se, and he values the Se-Ni axis. I have noticed a trend of ESFx people/characters being typed as ENFPs if they show an ounce of creative thinking or intellect.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ash: ESFP 3w2 7w6/6w7 8w7 soc dom (probably sx blind, but I can see good argument for sp blindness as he's just... very soc). I think he's too other's-centric later in the series to be considered an 8 core and, as mentioned before, he's very much a "buddy" sort of character rather than an aggressive or angry character who very much wants to "be the best". I think Se is fairly obvious in how aware he is to his physical environment and how he's very focused on initiating tangible responsibilities rather than abstract. His thought process is very linear and he has no concept of consequence.

Misty: ESFJ 6w7 (613 combo perhaps) so/sp; I don't actually see where people are getting the 2 core for her, her agreeableness is so low and it doesn't appear as if helping people or that sort of shame is central to her personality. Her anger is very superego, I could see 6w7 or maybe 1w2 core for her, but I think she's pretty reactive triad.

Brock: ESFJ 2w3 (somewhere between 271 or 269 maybe) so/sp. He's very others centric and keen on how to assist others in whatever they need. He's very aware of physical comfort and how to comfort and tend to those in need, hence why it seems more plausible for him to be high Si than Ni in my mind. Could also be sp blind, but the show in general is very sx blind so idk.

Jessie: ExTJ 3w4 (387) so/sp: By socionics standards, she probably is Se valuing, but by mbti standards I think by dichotomies, she's probably more S than N. I'm not 100% sure on this.

James: ISFP 9w1 so/sp (963 maybe): I feel like this is self explanatory. Enneagram I'm not 100% sure on.

Meowth: I'm absolutely lost, 3 core probably.

Just throwing shit at a wall here, but could Ash be a core 6w7? He seems reactive rather than assertive to me

Meowth I think is an ENTP tbh.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The other issue I have with saying Si is about the past or "memories" and connecting those things to a function in general is that, if someone developed amnesia later in life by that logic they'd change types completely.
I have this issue as well, that was one of my biggest issues typing as a Si user (and eventually Si dom). My memories are prone to distortion in general for a variety of reasons, so Si being connected to memories has always kind of been tough for me to connect to (and also connect to others). I've met Si users with really crap memories too (as well as Ne users with memories that are ungodly specific), Si in general can be weirdly "abstract" in a roundabout way just because it's vision is so clouded by the way perceiving things effects it. I think in general attributing "memories" and a "past focus" is somewhat misleading, not that they cannot apply to Si but that Si is considerably more than that (although notably, the Si-Ne axis in general seems to be moved more by memory and sentiment than Ni-Se, but I think that's just an axis value rather than something solely Si).

Now, I think Ash does "use" Si to some extent, but I don't think it's a valued function for him and I don't think he has the Ne to back it up - especially not enough to type him as an Ne dom lol. In regards to Socionics, SEE (ESFp) doesn't value Si but it can be used somewhat decently by them which I think could apply to Ash. It's very clear to me that his natural way of thinking is Se, and he values the Se-Ni axis. I have noticed a trend of ESFx people/characters being typed as ENFPs if they show an ounce of creative thinking or intellect.
Yeah I see this a lot too, especially with anime protagonists in general (even though, by archetype, they seem to be almost always high Se valuing by both mbti and socionics standards). I don't think Si seems to be a focus of his and I think a lot of his "possibility focus" that people attribute to Ne is really just a Se thing because every aspect of that is so oriented around the real world for him.

Just throwing shit at a wall here, but could Ash be a core 6w7? He seems reactive rather than assertive to me
That actually seems pretty reasonable as well. I figured assertive since he's very connected with his impulses/desires rather than having to justify them like a compliant core typically does, however I can see where you're coming from with that. Competency core also seems sort of weird for Ash.

Meowth I think is an ENTP tbh.
I can see this as well. I'm always a bit hesitant to type comic reliefs since cartoon humor (by culture) is typically very Ne in nature, but it seems reasonable for him. Si-Ne axis in general seems like a given.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That actually seems pretty reasonable as well. I figured assertive since he's very connected with his impulses/desires rather than having to justify them like a compliant core typically does, however I can see where you're coming from with that. Competency core also seems sort of weird for Ash.

I think he appears 3 because of the series being about "wanting to be the very best" and "gotta catch em all" but beyond that as a person he seems more 6.

although notably, the Si-Ne axis in general seems to be moved more by memory and sentiment than Ni-Se, but I think that's just an axis value rather than something solely Si
I'd actually attribute this to high dimensionality of Fi, as opposed to a perception axis tbh. Given the people I know who are moved by sentiment, there's a split between Si/Ne and Ni/Se but they all seem to have 3D or 4D Fi whereas I'm 1D Fi and I really couldn't care less tbh, I always find myself rolling my eyes at gifts bought for "sentimental value".

I can see this as well. I'm always a bit hesitant to type comic reliefs since cartoon humor (by culture) is typically very Ne in nature, but it seems reasonable for him. Si-Ne axis in general seems like a given.
For Meowth, I was thinking in the context of Team Rocket he seems to be the best communicator - which could indicate being better at Fe than the other two (ExTJ/IxFP), but using Fe as a tool to achieve his goals like many unhealthy ExTPs (myself included) will do - such as in the Black and White anime when he was the one that faked being "kicked out of team rocket" to gain the heroes' trust. He also seems to be the "brains" of the operation, being responsible for a lot of the robots and stuff Team Rocket uses. And then those dream sequences involving being rewarded by the boss for some wacky scheme he's come up with seems more Ne (Ne-Fe, in the case of Meowth) and this can be contrasted with Ash - Ash is a lot more realistic in his possibilities.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

That's fine agree to disagree, I'll have more evidence when I rewatch Pokemon. Ni and Si both care about the past but Ni is past impressions in general, Si is past details and mostly holds onto past experiences more often. Ni cares about experience to but the overall thing that happening and is more general and overall rather than every past detail and detail orientation of Si. The Ash ENFP vs ESFP debate will go on for some time, but I always saw the ESFP typing as Ash Ketchum bias rather than looking at his character more objectively. He's a bad trainer and makes mistakes so ESFP, I'm not saying you say this, you never mentioned this at all but other people have through the years and I disagree with this judgementalness with his character. In my opinion he shows Ne and Si a lot despite his skill and writing style choice for the milked Pokemon anime but again as I rewatch the Pokemon series I'll have more evidence and make a official post on it for him in general and the other characters. But I know the characters still and grew up with the show overall so I still felt confident typing and sharing my opinion on their types here. But thanks for your opinions here anyway, it was an interesting debate and discussion I had with people here. And yeah Meowth is definitely ENTP, no doubt.

muddy120

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have this issue as well, that was one of my biggest issues typing as a Si user (and eventually Si dom). My memories are prone to distortion in general for a variety of reasons, so Si being connected to memories has always kind of been tough for me to connect to (and also connect to others). I've met Si users with really crap memories too (as well as Ne users with memories that are ungodly specific), Si in general can be weirdly "abstract" in a roundabout way just because it's vision is so clouded by the way perceiving things effects it. I think in general attributing "memories" and a "past focus" is somewhat misleading, not that they cannot apply to Si but that Si is considerably more than that (although notably, the Si-Ne axis in general seems to be moved more by memory and sentiment than Ni-Se, but I think that's just an axis value rather than something solely Si).

Yeah I see this a lot too, especially with anime protagonists in general (even though, by archetype, they seem to be almost always high Se valuing by both mbti and socionics standards). I don't think Si seems to be a focus of his and I think a lot of his "possibility focus" that people attribute to Ne is really just a Se thing because every aspect of that is so oriented around the real world for him.

Yeah I've learned the differences of Si and its not the past oriented function only persay. I spoke about the difference on how Si and Ni see the past in my other comment here I just posted. Si from what I've learned is past detail and experience in a detailed manner and Ni is overall past impressions, I'm learning more about Ni as I go as well myself and all its traits and nuances, but despite it I have a general understanding of Ni. It caring about what's going on behind the scenes and seeing patterns and less possibilities with its narrow Ni tunnel vision focus is apparent. And Ni is also more desicive than Ne and Si, a Ne user is gonna brainstorm more often than an Ni user no matter the order in the conscious stack INFJ or ESFP in general. ENFPs and ESFPs are indecisive but an ENFP is gonna be much more indecisive because of Ne brainstorming and Si security and risk aversion and Si careful detail observation as well.