• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
So, anyone wanna take a shot at typing the characters? I absolutely LOVE this show. The characters are brilliant, and their friendships are timeless. Everytime an episode ends and I see the credits I feel tingles all over my body. Such a simple yet beautiful show.

I'm not completely confident in my guesses. I didn't go through and match up their dominant and secondary functions to see if it works.

Aang - ENFP (Ne/Fi)
It seems that the ENFPs love to get that extra squeeze out of life, and Aang does just that. He always finds some weird or strange way to play a game or have fun. Also, being from the Air nation, he does have ENFP-like worries about being controlled as seen in the teams stay in the structured Ba Sing Se.

Kitara - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
Kitara absolutely believes in helping others, even if it means self-sacrificing her needs. "I will never, ever turn my back on people that need me!" I wanted to type her as an introvert at first, but I realized that she was more Fe than she was Fi. In the episode where Zuko joins the party, she threatened to kill him if he did anything fishy, which is very unlike her. This reminds me of my ESFJ mother who has said similar things to people who have threatened/hurt her children.

Sokka - ENTP (Ne/Ti)
I wasn't quite sure what Sokka was until I realized how much he relied on ingenuity and how he was definitely the "inventor" type. He sees a world of possibilities, and when under pressure he can quickly use his Ti to come up with a working plan.

Toph - ESTP (Se/Ti)
She desires to do what she pleases and is not too happy with compulsory activity. This is simply another guess.

Zuko - ISTJ (Si/Te)
He is very serious about his duties and responsibilities, and is a very serious person in general.

Uncle Iroh - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
Just a guess.

Azula - ENTJ (Te/Ni)
Oh man... She simply radiates being an unhealthy ENTJ. She has a strong desire for dominance, and seems to always be planning what could be. She relies on empirical thought first, and then lets her intuition fill in the blanks when she is planning. She is a very unique villain.

Ty Lee - ESFP (Se/Fi)
Honestly, what else could she be? She lives for the moment and enjoys her good share of fun. She has in inner emotional flame, shown to use in The Beach, when she expresses how she was afraid she would never stand out from her 6 sisters and would always be part of a "set". She often flirts with boys and usually has a group of them surrounding her, hinting at her fear of being alone.

Mai - INTP (Ti/Ne)
Haha, I finally found my own example of an INTP. She prefers her solitude and is willing not to put too much effort into anything, as seen when she refuses to chase after Kitara and Sokka through the slime waste in the episode The Drill. I was torn between if she was an ISTP or an INTP, but she never expresses any kind of Se habits so I decided on INTP.

Feel free to correct me. I'm more concerned about getting them typed correctly than being right. :) I like relating the MBTI to anime/cartoon characters since they seem to be a little on the melodramatic side, letting their true colors shine through. It's easier for me to recall what a stereotypical ENTP is like when I think of Sokka versus thinking of Alexander the Great, whom I know nothing about.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I've been watching it since it premiered. It's so good I originally thought it was a Japanese anime. I just finished watching the 13th episode of the third book. I think you have the character's types pegged pretty well. Although I would have never thought of Toph as an ESTP. It does make sense though.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've been watching it since it premiered. It's so good I originally thought it was a Japanese anime. I just finished watching the 13th episode of the third book. I think you have the character's types pegged pretty well. Although I would have never thought of Toph as an ESTP. It does make sense though.

Yeah, I originally had her as an ESTJ, but she just seemed to fit ESTP more when I watched an episode.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Yeah, I originally had her as an ESTJ, but she just seemed to fit ESTP more when I watched an episode.

Good call.

The worst part is now I'm gonna imagine whatever as a staunchy, little earth bender. :D

JuneBugGemini

MBTI Type
ENFP
So, anyone wanna take a shot at typing the characters? I absolutely LOVE this show. The characters are brilliant, and their friendships are timeless. Everytime an episode ends and I see the credits I feel tingles all over my body. Such a simple yet beautiful show.

I'm not completely confident in my guesses. I didn't go through and match up their dominant and secondary functions to see if it works.

Aang - ENFP (Ne/Fi)
It seems that the ENFPs love to get that extra squeeze out of life, and Aang does just that. He always finds some weird or strange way to play a game or have fun. Also, being from the Air nation, he does have ENFP-like worries about being controlled as seen in the teams stay in the structured Ba Sing Se.

Katara - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
Katara absolutely believes in helping others, even if it means self-sacrificing her needs. "I will never, ever turn my back on people that need me!" I wanted to type her as an introvert at first, but I realized that she was more Fe than she was Fi. In the episode where Zuko joins the party, she threatened to kill him if he did anything fishy, which is very unlike her. This reminds me of my ESFJ mother who has said similar things to people who have threatened/hurt her children.

Sokka - ENTP (Ne/Ti)
I wasn't quite sure what Sokka was until I realized how much he relied on ingenuity and how he was definitely the "inventor" type. He sees a world of possibilities, and when under pressure he can quickly use his Ti to come up with a working plan.

Toph - ESTP (Se/Ti)
She desires to do what she pleases and is not too happy with compulsory activity. This is simply another guess.

Zuko - ISTJ (Si/Te)
He is very serious about his duties and responsibilities, and is a very serious person in general.

Uncle Iroh - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
Just a guess.

Azula - ENTJ (Te/Ni)
Oh man... She simply radiates being an unhealthy ENTJ. She has a strong desire for dominance, and seems to always be planning what could be. She relies on empirical thought first, and then lets her intuition fill in the blanks when she is planning. She is a very unique villain.

Ty Lee - ESFP (Se/Fi)
Honestly, what else could she be? She lives for the moment and enjoys her good share of fun. She has in inner emotional flame, shown to use in The Beach, when she expresses how she was afraid she would never stand out from her 6 sisters and would always be part of a "set". She often flirts with boys and usually has a group of them surrounding her, hinting at her fear of being alone.

Mai - INTP (Ti/Ne)
Haha, I finally found my own example of an INTP. She prefers her solitude and is willing not to put too much effort into anything, as seen when she refuses to chase after Kitara and Sokka through the slime waste in the episode The Drill. I was torn between if she was an ISTP or an INTP, but she never expresses any kind of Se habits so I decided on INTP.

Feel free to correct me. I'm more concerned about getting them typed correctly than being right. :) I like relating the MBTI to anime/cartoon characters since they seem to be a little on the melodramatic side, letting their true colors shine through. It's easier for me to recall what a stereotypical ENTP is like when I think of Sokka versus thinking of Alexander the Great, whom I know nothing about.

I agree with Aang being ENFP, but I think Katara is actually ISFJ.
-->"Quiet, friendly, responsible, and conscientious. Work devotedly to meet their obligations. Lend stability to any project or group. Thorough and painstaking, accurate. Their interests are usuallY not technical. Can be patient with necessary details. Loyal, considerate, perceptive, concerned with how other people feel."

This is my list:
Aang = ENFP*
Katara = ISFJ*
Sokka = ENTP*
Toph = ISTP
Zuko = INFP
Iroh = ESFJ
Mai = ISTJ
Ty Lee =ENFP?
Azula = EST(F?)P
Ozai = ESTP?

Of course, you might be more knowledgable on the concept of type, but I'm really not exactly sure on any of these except the ones that have a star near them.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, Zuko always seemed to project that kind of INFP type in a more unhealthy sense. Azula seems like an ENTJ, and Mai could be an ISTJ-- I'm uncertain of the total description of the type.

I got an ESFJ vibe or something like that from Suki, but I could be wrong. She reminds me of Kim Possible. Definitely a J.

So...

Aang: ENFP
Katara: ISFJ
Sokka: ENTP
Toph: ESTP
Suki: EXXJ
Zuko: INFP
Iroh: Old
Mai: ISTJ
Ty Lee: ENFP
Azula: ENTJ

That show was awesome.

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love this show as well, and had typed the characters before reading this. I agree with most of these.

Aang: ENFP - Classic Example

Katara: ESFJ - I thought she was an introvert at first as well, but she seems much more Fe dominant than Si. I'm glad to see an ESFJ that isn't overly extroverted.

Sokka: ENTP - another classic example of a type.

Toph: ESTP - I'd say ESTP over ISTP, as her Se is much more prevalant than Ti

Zuko: ISFP or ISTP - Zuko is one of my favorite characters, along with Toph, but I'm not completely sure about his type. INFP could work but he just shows far more Se than Ne. He could also be ISTP, but he has a strong Fi either way. It was one of the main reasons he was banished, after speaking up during the council, valuing the Nations Soldiers lives and refusing to fight his father. Throughout the series, his Fi drove him, thinking he was doing the right thing, making the capture of the Avatar part of his code. But over the course of the show, with influence from Iroh he changed his Fi to match his own beliefs (atoning for his homelands mistakes as well as his own and giving up on seeking his fathers approval.) He might seem ISTJ, especially in the beginning, but unlike a J he does not plan ahead or organize things, Zuko lives by the Indy ploy, using his Se and skills to get him through a difficult situation. I could also see ISTP with a strong Fi, as he is very Competitive and doesn't usually show emotion outwardly (which is more of a Fe trait) Zuko is an awesome example of an intense, antihero ISFP.

Azulah: ENTJ - I agree with Wedekit about the typing and she makes an awesome antagonist, but I wouldn't say she is especially unique for a villian, with regards to type. ENTJ is the second most common type for a villian after INTJ.Typing Zuko as an ISFP, her opposite, didn't seem right because, while they are quite different, I didn't think they were opposites, but it's likely that Zuko was conditioned to be more like an ENTJ, the pride of the Fire Nation, so he tried to act like something he wasn't to make his parents proud.

Iroh: ESFP - Iroh was fairly hard to type, I could also see him as an ENFP or ENFJ possibly. I think he had developed most of the cognitive functions by his old age that his true type is harder to pinpoint. Like Zuko, he had a strong auxiliary Fi that likely contributed in his turning his back on the ambitions of his brother and the fire nation. His laid back, peaceful nature also leads me to type him as a Perciever. I just can't see him as a guardian, he's more carefree and hedonistic, typical of Artisans.

Mai: ISTP
I think this fits her almost perfectly, but you very well may be right about her being an INTP, Wedekit.

Ty Lee: ESFP

My Guesses for minor characters:

Jet: ESTP

Yue: INFJ

Zhao: ENTJ

June: ISTP

Roku: INFJ

Ozai: ENTJ

Pakkun: ISTJ

Suki: ISFJ

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Aang: Ne-IEE (ENFp) - 7w6 so/sp

Katara: I would say Te/Fi > Ti/Fe for her, and a rational type from either the Gamma or Delta quadrant, most likely Delta. She's not exactly a consistent character, but Delta and Si-LSE (ESTj) 2w3 so/sx makes the most sense.

Sokka: Ti-ILE (ENTp)? This is quite possibly the only typing that makes sense, but he still isn't overall consistent with ENTp, so I put a nice question mark behind it. 6w7 sp/so.

Toph: Te-SLI (ISTp) - Her tough girl act as a compensation for being thought as weak for her blindness could be mistakenly as being Se valuing, but ISTp fits a lot better. 5w6?

Zuko: An anomaly, but I am thinking 8w7 for him.

Azula: Fe-EIE (ENFj) - Definitely, she actively uses Fe in her dealings with people - a prime example of this would be in her first appearance in the show where she speaks to the captain about the tides. Lack of focus on the external dynamics (the logic!) of the situation and more on the internal dynamics (the emotions). Her focus was on scaring the captain, and it's all based on Ti hierarchy. Where do people see Te-dominance? 7w8 sx/so.

Fe isn't always this warm and kind thing. It can be used just as easily to hurt people.

Mai: ILI (INTp)?

Ty Lee: Fe-SEI (ISFp). 7w6 so/sp - Not all IP types are quiet and inactive. She was definitely go-with-the-flow though, and creative Fe makes sense to me. ESFp probably makes no sense.

Iroh: Si-SEI (ISFp). 9w1 sp/sx
Jet: Se-SLE (ESTp) 8w7 sp/so
Suki: Se-ESI (ISFj)
Zhao: SLE (ESTp)
Ozai: Se-LSI (ISTj) - Typical stock villain, eh?

Last edited:

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(To Tyrant) I'm not familiar with what you mean by Gamma or Delta, could you explain? Otherwise, it looks like you are using socionics instead of mbti. I'm not well-versed in that but I know Katara is no ESTJ. Isn't the main difference the fact that the j/p difference in socionics is determined by whether the dominant function is information gathering or decision making as opposed to the highest extraverted fuction in MBTI?

I can definintely see Toph as an ISTP but as for enneagram, 8w9 all the way.

Zuko seems like a combination of Types 4 and 8.

Azula: Yes, your right that she had a strong, manipulative Fe going for her, so she could be ENFJ, but she did use Te as well.

Ty Lee: Again, I know socionics is different than MBTI, but if the letters correlate, then there is no way she is an intovert. Also, you mentioned her using creative Fe. ESFP uses the cognitive process order of Se-Fi-Te-Ni in MBTI, no Fe. Is this not the case for socionics?

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
(To Tyrant) I'm not familiar with what you mean by Gamma or Delta, could you explain? Otherwise, it looks like you are using socionics instead of mbti. I'm not well-versed in that but I know Katara is no ESTJ. Isn't the main difference the fact that the j/p difference in socionics is determined by whether the dominant function is information gathering or decision making as opposed to the highest extraverted fuction in MBTI?

Gamma, Alpha, Beta, and Delta are socionics quadrants, certain types belong to those quadrants. They all have valued functions:

Gamma: Ni, Te, Se, Fi = ENTj, INTp, ISFj, ESFp
Alpha: Ne, Ti, Si, Fe = INTj, ENTp, ISFp, ESFj

See, how the pairs share none of the same valued functions?

Delta: Si, Te, Fi, Ne = INFj, ENFp, ISTp, ESTj
Beta: Se, Ti, Fe, Ni = ENFj, INFp, ISTj, ESTp

The rational/irrational dichotomy is determined by the base information element. If the base information element is irrational (Si, Ne, Ni, Se), it's p, if it's a rational (Ti, Fe, Fi, Te) information element, then j.

Why do you object to Katara being ESTj?

I can definintely see Toph as an ISTP but as for enneagram, 8w9 all the way.

ISTp, but why do you think she's a 8?

Azula: Yes, your right that she had a strong, manipulative Fe going for her, so she could be ENFJ, but she did use Te as well.

Not really - where's the Te dominance? Azula obsessively used Se and Fe to manipulate and accomplish her goals. Besides clearly being a Fe dominant, being ENTj would imply unvalued Fe, which is beyond false.

Ty Lee: Again, I know socionics is different than MBTI, but if the letters correlate, then there is no way she is an intovert. Also, you mentioned her using creative Fe. ESFP uses the cognitive process order of Se-Fi-Te-Ni in MBTI, no Fe. Is this not the case for socionics?

Introvert =/= quiet, or whatever reason you think she could not be an introvert. ISFp = Si, Fe, Ti, Ne. Could you honestly say Ty Lee did not use Fe frequently? They only alternative would be ESFj, and surely there's no way Ty Lee is of the EJ temperament.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Katara: INFJ , maybe E but I need someone to help me see how she's an extrovert.
Aang: so very ENFP
Sokka: ENTP
Suki: ESTJ
Toph: ESTP
Zuko: unhealthy INFJ
Iroh: ESTJ, he's a people person and seems to have traveled quite a bit.
Mai: INTP
June: I/E STP
Jet: ISTP or misguided ISTJ
Azula: ENTJ
Piandao: ISTJ
Bumi: ESFP
Haru: INFP
Ty Lee : ESFP

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finally finished the series! I loved it :D

Aang - ENFP ... definitely
Sokka - ENTP - seemed ESTP at first, but his ENTP'ness was overwhelming very quickly
Katara - ESFJ - Although I wouldn't rule out ENFJ either
Zuko - xNFJ - Definitely not an S or a P. I highly doubt he's a T as well. His obsession with his "honor" screams Fe, and his obsession with destiny screams Ni. He reminds me a lot of my ENFJ brother, but I admit he didn't seem all that E.
Toph - ISTP! She may very well be ESTP, but she lacked Fe more than most ESTPs would. She was all about independence and carrying her own weight, so if I had to guess, I would say I.
Azula - ENTJ - No doubt :p
Jet - ESTP - I thought he might be an ESTP at first, but he had that tertiary Fe thing going on... he knew how to use Fe to manipulate (when needed)
Iroh - xSFP - Or at least that's my best guess.. SP for sure.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Aang - ESFP - I don't know where you guys are getting ENFP from. His entire worldview seems to be derived from Se-Fi. He likes to have fun and rarely thinks about what he does or stops to philosophize.

Katara - ESFJ - She clearly leads with Fe and embodies the ESFJ "mother" stereotype. She also seems to have a thing for family and tradition, though sometimes she can be rebellious if a tradition is outside of her value system (or it threatens one of her friends.)

Sokka - ENTJ - He's good with ideas and plans, but he's too grounded and practical-minded to be an ENTP. He's also the schedule master. I had actually typed him as ESTJ at first, when his character did not include the long-range planner/"ideas man" element.

Zuko - ISTJ - He's rigid, high-strung, and always serious, but he doesn't plan more than one or two steps into the future, which seems to me like STJ. He seems to naturally use Te (even when he's not in his furious mode.) Fi is his only evident feeling function, and it seems like he doesn't really understand or enjoy its manifestations. He only experiences it negatively (until experience, advice, and hardship finally drills it into his head that he should use it positively.)

Toph - ISTP - She's practically the stereotype. Too reserved and lacking in Fe to be an ESTP. She has none of their energy or persuasiveness. Most of the time it just seems like she wants to be left alone to do whatever she wants without anybody bothering her or telling her what to do.

Iroh - ENFJ - At first I thought ESFP, but then I changed my mind when I took into consideration how far in the future he seems to plan, and his highly controlled demeanor. Fe is very evident. Se is only evident in his love of simple, physical pleasures, but not really in his behavior or his motivations.

Azula -ESTJ - She, like Zuko, doesn't really plan more than one or two steps into the future, but she seems rigid, controlling, and perfectionistic. She succeeds more often than her brother simply because she is more ruthless and less affected by her Fi.

Ty Lee - xSFP - I don't know about I/E, but she is most certainly an Se and Fi user of some sort.

Mai - ISTP - She's less overtly physical than, say, a Toph-style ISTP, but as nothing about her seems remotely J, F, or NT, ISTP is the best fit.

Zuko and Azula's Dad - ISTJ - Very duty oriented and rigid.

Katara and Sokka's Grandmother - ISTJ - Very tradition oriented and rigid. Kind of cold.

Bumi - ENTP - He's a very clear example of this type, I think. Lots of zany Ne, and his borderline-unethical games and schemes seem Ne-Ti to me.

Jet - ESTP - He's a suave, persuasive ringleader of a small-time rebellion. He's also a bit of a scumbag.

Avatar Roku - INFJ - He just seems like one to me. Very decisive and unbending ethical judgments that were based on what was best for the welfare of the community, and he enforced those judgments when it came to the behavior of others.

Avatar Kyoshi - INTJ - Leader type, decisive, cool-headed.

Inventor Guy - INTP - I can't remember his name, but he inhabited one of the air temples and turned it into a mechanical wonder.

Archeology Professor Guy - INTP - He decided to stay in the knowledge library despite the fact that it was sinking deep into the sand.

Aang and Katara's Waterbending Teacher - ISTJ - He could be no other type.

Guy Tracking Toph (who looked like John Redcorn from King of the Hill) - ESTP

Suki - XXXX - Too underdeveloped to get a good sense of her personality.

Angry Knowledge Owl - INTJ

Tracker Lady with Badger - ISTP

Haru - ISFJ

Sokka's Sword Teacher - INTJ - They made him seem like Sun Tzu.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
katara ESFJ, maybe ENFJ
aang ENFP

Orangey said:
He likes to have fun

yeah, ENFPs HATE fun, god forbid
:rofl1:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fail.

I really don't see how Aang is more ENFP than ESFP. Everyone just seems to be mindlessly agreeing.

well you're the one who made the dumb implication :tongue:

i dunno, i just always thought aang felt NF-y. and we agree he's obviously ExFP.

i think all the benders are gonna seem a little Se because of the nature of bending.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
well you're the one who made the dumb implication :tongue:

i dunno, i just always thought aang felt NF-y. and we agree he's obviously ExFP.

i think all the benders are gonna seem a little Se because of the nature of bending.

No, you're the one who quoted me out of context and then made a serious leap of logic. To say that ESFPs like to have fun (even if that was ALL that I said, which it wasn't) does not imply that other types hate it.

Bad joke was bad.

And no, all the benders do not necessarily seem Se. Katara and Zuko, for instance, don't seem Se to me. Aang seems Se because he constantly does things like impulisively slide down random chutes for the physical fun of it, or impulsively join a school in the middle of the Fire Nation. It's all impulse, making a splash, acting on physical impulses in the moment, which is Se (and which Aang has in spades.) Where is his Ne?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I think

Aang: ENFP - (he's very philosophical and likes to disconnect, which is why I'm sort of thinking this over ESFP)

Katara: ISFJ probably

Sokka: EXTX - He's really hard to type. He seems to almost have a dual personality. There's the Sokka who's irresponsible, silly, mostly S-ish, impulsive and fun and then there's the Sokka who's organised, tactical and forward thinking. He seems to be ESTP, then ENTP, then ENTJ. Maybe he's a J with a VERY well developed being silly side.

Toph - ISTP

Zuko - INFX, probably P.

Iroh - INFP - I don't have ANY idea where ESTJ comes from. He is happy living a simple life of peace and prosperity, always full of wisdom, hates conflict, sees beauty and wonder in the world, very calm and empathetic)

Azula - ENTJ

Ty Lee - straight ESFP

Mai - ISTP

Ozai - INTJ (likes to keep in the shadows behind the scenes mostly)