• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Azula seems very ENTJ...her very life is solely based upon her Te and her need to control others, but she uses Fe pretty damn well to manipulate others.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I just came back to the forum for some casual browsing and I was thrilled to see others were still interested in trying to get all of these fantastic characters typed! After reading my original post I kinda feel embarrassed about my reasoning for typing certain characters but after watching all three seasons at least three times (and getting an urge to watch them all again, actually) I'm wanting to take another try at typing them.

Aang - ENFP (Ne/Fi)
The general consensus seems to be that Aang is ExFP. I stick by my assertion that Aang is an ENFP. ENFPs are often described as people that are driven possibilities, and this is clearly illustrated through Aang's constant search for fun things to do. Yes, ESFPs also enjoy having fun. However, an ESFP would theoretically find more joy in practical, realistic activities (eating yummy food, shopping, exploring a new store/mall). Aang seems to prefer inventing his own methods of entertainment, such as riding penguins, seadragons, and playing the flute for prairie dogs.

Kitara - ESFJ (Fe/Si)
Though Kitara might not be the most gung ho extravert in the world, I still don't think introvert would describe he well. While she does seem to fit the nurturing stereotype of an ESFJ, I think there are other qualities about her that fit the profile. ESFJs are down-to-earth, realistic, and practical, but they are also very committed to their values and willing to take drastic actions to defend them (e.g. pretending to be the painted lady and attempting to single-handedly destroy the Fire Nation factory). I imagine ISFJs would not be as assertive as Kitara is and generally try to avoid confrontations. Kitara is peaches-and-cream when harmony is around her, but once she feel that something is not right she is usually shown speaking her mind freely. If she was an ISFJ she probably wouldn't have confronted Toph about not helping around the camp or challenged the Waterbending master to a battle to show that a woman could fight just as well as a man. As far as her being an N, I don't really see the evidence for this but I do not deny the possibility. Most of her actions and motivations are in the S-domain, in my opinion.

Sokka - ENTP (Ne/Ti)
I definitely still stand by this. Towards the very beginning of the series Sokka was a much different character. In fact, the creators/writers had no intention of Sokka becoming a permanent character and intended for him to leave the team eventually. However, once people responded well to his sense of humor they wrote him in as permanent. It's then where we start to see Sokka's adaptability and inventive tendencies. While his last-minute inventions (especially in the episode where they help defend the air temple from the fire nation) are what clued me into his type, I believe Sokka's training by a sword master was what really finalized my decision. He lacked the form and skill a typical swordsman possesses, but he made up for it with his ability to adapt (not a typical quality of a J) and quickly find inventive ways to use his environment to his advantage.

Toph - ESTP (Se/Ti)
Toph has never expressed much of an introverted personality to me. Toph spent most of her life being told she was too frail to do anything on her own, so I think she likes to prove to others (and even herself) that she can be completely independent. However, in a group she naturally is loud, proud and bossy, which are not typical behaviors for an introvert. I think a lot of other member's skepticism about Toph being an ESTP might dispelled if you pretended she was a male.

Zuko - ISTJ (Si/Te)
I still stick by ISTJ. I think we must remember that he was raised in a culture where is honor is everything. Since he has lost it due to his previous actions he will (unsurprisingly) do anything to get it back. He is usually quiet and brooding, which makes me conclude introvert. He never really expresses many F qualities (especially in comparison to his feeling uncle), but, as any T can verify, being a thinking person doesn't mean they have no feelings or values. I will say that the reason he was banished and scarred to begin with resembles something an F would do (standing up for the value for human life over sacrificing soldiers for tactical advantage). However, he doesn't seem to show a lot of other F qualities (certainly not Fe). He often comes across as very rigid and not very adaptable/laid-back, which makes me conclude J. I also don't see a lot of N-qualities in him, especially when I compare his methods for catching Aang to his sister's (who I definitely believe is a N). He goes for a more "find Aang and then catch him" (brute force) approach rather than trying to develop a plan to trap or outsmart him.

Azula - ENTJ (Te/Ni)
A talented and strategic leader, though unhealthy in many ways. She is quite the schemer and can come up with elaborate plans to manipulate others as her pawns. Some believe she expresses F qualities, but I think it's important to note that this is usually to manipulate others into her greater scheme; a negative use of the Feeling function. Even unhealthy people that primarily use F maintain some semblance of values and beliefs that they use to define themselves. The only thing Azula values is power and will seemingly do anything to achieve it (even at the expense of her brother, Ty Lee, and Mai).

Again, these are all only my opinion and I am more concerned about hearing what others have to say rather than being "right." I'd elaborate on some of the other characters but right now I should be studying for a midterm I have in the morning, haha. I'll add and discuss the others when I have more time.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Sokka is actually kind of difficult. Sometimes he seems ESTP, then a lot of the time he seems ENTP, but then, in subtle ways and occasionally in obvious ways, he seems like an ENTJ. His EXTP side is joking, fun-loving, imaginative, distracted, competitive and right into the action, but then his ENTJ side is planning, organisational, hardworking and determined. However, overall, I think he behaves more like an ENTP. But I just look at him sometimes and he seems like a walking contradiction. Perhaps it's just growing up in a J-like warrior environment has given him the ability to sometimes step out of himself and behave like a J.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But I just look at him sometimes and he seems like a walking contradiction. Perhaps it's just growing up in a J-like warrior environment has given him the ability to sometimes step out of himself and behave like a J.

Well, in reality, almost everyone is a "walking contradiction"(else the person has a static and linear character), so don't think a contradiction even exists. People tend to divert, learn and adapt to unnatural behaviors and so functionally, being "J'ish"(PiJe or JePi) does not equate to actually being "J'sh"(organized etc.). As an example, Ti can adapt Te-behaviors out of need and or value. Sincerely, I think the letter "J" is the most misguiding letter.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Aang - ENFP (Ne/Fi)
The general consensus seems to be that Aang is ExFP. I stick by my assertion that Aang is an ENFP. ENFPs are often described as people that are driven possibilities, and this is clearly illustrated through Aang's constant search for fun things to do. Yes, ESFPs also enjoy having fun. However, an ESFP would theoretically find more joy in practical, realistic activities (eating yummy food, shopping, exploring a new store/mall). Aang seems to prefer inventing his own methods of entertainment, such as riding penguins, seadragons, and playing the flute for prairie dogs.

I think you're being unconsciously prejudicial against sensors here. You've essentially stated that the difference between ENFPs and ESFPs is that, while both like to have fun, ESFPs would prefer more mundane, everyday activities while ENFPs are the ones that do weird and inventive things.

On top of reflecting a complete misunderstanding of what differentiates the two types (as well as a misunderstanding of what it means for action to be "realistic"...isn't any action realistic if it can be carried out in the world?), this perspective takes all of the desirable attriubutes of Se and gives it to Ne. Se is about seeing the possibilities for action in the current moment. Ne is about seeing the possibilities for meaning and ideas in the current moment. What in the following descriptions is so difficult to understand? Where does it say anything about Se causing people to prefer mundane activities, or to be somehow less inventive?

Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

This is exactly what Aang does.

Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone’s behavior really means. It also involves seeing things “as if,” with various possible representations of reality. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. This is like weaving themes and threads together. We don’t know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand. Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. Extraverted iNtuiting also can involve catalyzing people and extemporaneously shaping situations, spreading an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership.

On the other hand, he does not appear to do this as much. Why? Because he's too busy following his physical impulses to really take time to explore the meaning and extensions of ideas. It's not that he can't, or that he never does, but he seems to prefer action before reflection. That's why he gets into so much shit...because his impulsive "let's do this now!" attitude leads him into troublesome situations. It's Se.

Sunny Ghost

Aang- at first i thought ENFJ... but ENFP could work as well. just have a hard time deciding if he's more Fe/Ni or Ne/Fi.

Katara- definitely an xSFJ. introverted or extroverted though is hard to tell. and honestly with real life ISFJ's they can come off extroverted due to their Si and Fe telling them to fulfill the role, i think. a lot of the ESFJ's i know in real life are overly energetic, and katara just isn't. i'm leaning more towards ISFJ.

Sokka- i originally thought ESTP, but i think you guys are right with ENTP.

Toph- definite ESTP.

Zuko- he's a total ISFP. no doubt about it to me.

Iroh- he's difficult. very well rounded.

Mai- INFP or INTP in my opinion.

Ty Lee- ESFP.

Azula- classic evil ENTJ. so incredibly Te/Ni.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sokka is actually kind of difficult. Sometimes he seems ESTP, then a lot of the time he seems ENTP, but then, in subtle ways and occasionally in obvious ways, he seems like an ENTJ. His EXTP side is joking, fun-loving, imaginative, distracted, competitive and right into the action, but then his ENTJ side is planning, organisational, hardworking and determined. However, overall, I think he behaves more like an ENTP. But I just look at him sometimes and he seems like a walking contradiction. Perhaps it's just growing up in a J-like warrior environment has given him the ability to sometimes step out of himself and behave like a J.

I think Sokka changed a lot through the series. I think he started ENTJ, then went to ESTP, then quickly to ENTP. If you watch the first episodes and compare him to what he was like in the later ones, he's a different person. I don't think the other characters change as much as he does.

Aang- at first i thought ENFJ... but ENFP could work as well. just have a hard time deciding if he's more Fe/Ni or Ne/Fi.

Aang is definitely Ne-dom. No doubt about it.

Zuko- he's a total ISFP. no doubt about it to me.

Iroh- he's difficult. very well rounded.

I can sort of see that for Zuko...I think Iroh is probably a very mature INFP, if I had to guess. He's pretty balanced.

Sunny Ghost

^i have no doubt about Zuko being ISFP. he's so incredibly Fi led. and due to being a younger ISFP, he has difficulty understanding his uncle Iroh's anecdotes at first. he's great with a sort (Se), and over time develops his tertiary Ni. he often has difficulty explaining himself, or his thoughts or even his emotions. it takes him a while to sort them all out.

^i don't know about Sakka having changed from ENTJ to ENTP. i think due to the tribe's and family's circumstances of losing the mother and father going off to war, Sakka stepped in to take charge and perhaps appeared ENTJ like... but his true nature eventually showed through later in time.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Bah, Toph is absolutely ISTP, and Azula is absolutely lame.

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, this thread is still alive! Here I shall make my third post on this forum for over a year since my first two - all on this one topic. xD

It's interesting to see that someone finally agrees with my analysis of Zuko as an ISFP. He's kind of an anomaly and rather complicated compared to most of the other characters, but I think we can all agree he is firmly ISxx. With Zuko, I think it's helpful to look at the specific Cognitive Functions rather than the individual letter preferences. Of these, we can clearly see that he uses almost exclusively Fi (initially suppressed), Te, Se, and to a lesser extent Si. He seems to have no ability, or desire, to use any of the other functions. So all we need to do is find an ISxx type that utilizes at least three of these functions and includes two of them as the dominant and auxiliary functions.

Zuko's motivations are conflicted between his moral code (Fi) and his desire for approval, primarily from his father. Growing up in the harsh, militaristic Fire Nation - which encourages more of a Te mindset, aggression and forth-rightness - Zuko tried to suppress his Fi, especially after being banished and rejected by his father. After his banishment, he is shown using an underdeveloped Te to give orders and such while trying to capture the Avatar, which I believe is his inferior fourth function. His use of Te is raw and unnatural, seen for example in "The Storm" in Book one. Giving orders just doesn't seem to come naturally to him, especially compared to a character like Zhao (ESTJ imo), who could be seen as sort of a foil to Zuko. I think that despite seeming raw and uncontrolled, his Fi is his dominant function because it is what ultimately drives him. Because he supressed it until later in the series, he is (usually) unable to express it in a positive manner. As for the auxiliary function, it seems clear to me that it should be Se. Zuko is adept at using his auxiliary Se to get himself in and out of scrapes and for short term plans, for example when he tries to capture Aang as the Blue Spirit or when he infiltrates the Northern Water Tribe. So, Fi > Se > Ni > Te=ISFP. He certainly doesn't fit the ISFP "artist" stereotype though haha, not that it matters.

Iroh is another tough case. His greater experience and wisdom mean he's probably skilled at using most if not all of the functions. As previously said, he's a balanced character. I think it's clear Iroh is some sort of ExFx. I can see him as both an ESFP and an ENFJ, but not really as an ESFJ or ENFP, though I'm not exactly sure why. I think Orangey made a good point about Iroh's hedonistic sensor tendencies being, in general, more related to his enjoyment of simple physical pleasures rather than his innate personality preference. However, I'm still not convinced he's an N, and I think he does display Se tendencies. More importantly however, is that he just acts so blatantly like a Perceiver. Iroh is all about relaxing and taking things as they come without a care as long as you've mastered yourself. He is very laid back, and I remember very few times in the series where he displayed judging tendencies. Honestly, I think a mature ESFP fits him quite well, but he does seem to have the "Wise Benevolent Teacher" NFJ thing going on as well.

As for Toph, I say look at the functions again. Would you say that Ti or Se appears to be her dominant function? I think it's clearly Se. However, she is rather Stoic, while ESTPs are usually more fiery. Overall, she doesn't appear particularly Extroverted or particularly Introverted. I'm not completely convinced on either type for her, but just by looking at what her dominant cognitive function appears to be, ESTP seems to be a better fit.

I'm also starting to agree with Orangey about Aang; I admit he does exhibit Se much more clearly and more often than Ne. The debate on his type reminds me of the debate over the same two types for Luffy from One Piece. I don't really watch the anime, but they do seem pretty similar in this aspect. Also, Orangey, didn't your type used to be INTP? :huh:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Just wanted to post in this thread because I recently rewatched the entire series and wanted to give my opinions on some of the characters.

Aang - EnFP. A random and off-the-wall kid who has some serious and deep worldviews. However, I will admit that the S/N divide is quite unclear. I think most people want to type him as an ENFP because an NF seems best suited to be the avatar.

Katara - esFJ. I have great difficulty in typing her as well. While she is a definite motherly Fe user, I can't tell much of anything else.

Sokka - EnTp - He is a bit of a chameleon. In the beginning he is a total ESTP, but then his Ne resourcefulness starts to show through as his character grows. Also, he is always the one putting the team on the track and reminding them of their goals, which makes me think Te and just confuses me more. Whatever he is, he's very balanced yet goofy.

Toph - ISTP. Need I say more? Although I will admit her I vs. E distinction is not as clear as the other functions.

Zuko - ISTJ. His obsession with honor screams Si. And although he has feelings, that doesn't make him a feeler! I don't see any Fe either. He is also somewhat similar to Azula, but his energy is often more reflected inward, making him more introverted. Also worth noting, I think his internal struggle has always been due to Si-Fi conflicts. In the end of the series, his Fi grows and is able to work in harmony with his Si. I really love his character development.

Uncle Iroh - INFP. I'm 10000% positive of NFP. He is very happy to go wherever the wind takes him, he always speaking in metaphors, and he always about the complexities of life. I've always wondered what his personality was like before his son's death and if it changed significantly.

Azula - ENTJ. She is extremely efficient, cold, calculating, bossy, and manipulative. Somehow, she always seems to be one step ahead of everyone else. Her mental breakdown at the end was simply brilliant. I applaud the writers for this.

Mai - Some type of boring IxTx.

Appa - INTP :D

eclecticreject

MBTI Type
INFP
Aang - ENFP
Katara - ESFJ
Sokka - ENTP
Zuko - ISTJ
Toph - ESTP
Azula - ENTJ
Mai - ISTP
Ty Lee - ESFP
Ozai - ISTJ
Iroh - INFP (Probably more a T when he was a general)

yeghor

THREAD NECRO...

Didn't know where else to put this, a very good bending fight scene:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aang - ENFP
Katara - ESFJ
Sokka - ENTP
Zuko - ISTJ
Toph - ESTP
Azula - ENTJ
Mai - ISTP
Ty Lee - ESFP
Ozai - ISTJ
Iroh - INFP (Probably more a T when he was a general)

Yup, this is how I see it too. Although I can see ISTP for Toph too - damn ambiversion complicating things. I think ESTP makes more sense for her.

The two characters I related to most in this show were Aang and Ty Le. :D

DreamBeliever

Aang- ENFP
Zuko- INFP
Iroh- ENFJ
Sokka- ENTJ
Katara- ESFJ
Toph- xSTP
Mai- IxTP
Ty Lee- ESFP
Azula- ENTJ
Jet- ISTP (misconstrued inferior Fe)
How about Zuko's mom you guys? My guess is INFJ.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the movie everyone is ISTJ.

Pretty much, yeah. Just another reason why they failed completely and utterly; they couldn't even keep their personalities. Heck, they couldn't even keep diversity.

One1000

Zuko seems more INFP than ISTJ, he spoke out against his father because of his personal values. He makes all his choices primarily based off how he feels bout them.

I think Sokka is an ENTJ, he loves to be the leader and take conrol of things.

Iroh I think is actually an ESFP. His is an old man so his fuctions are developed. He definetely has a strong SP traits always wandering around and loves to pamper his senses. He always seems to enjoy the simple pleasures of life and advises Zuko to do the same. His auxillary Fi is obvious in his moral speaches and the way he follows his heart. His tertiary Te can be seen in his past as a general, he can take command when he needs to. His inferior Ni is developed more than most, although he naturally enjoys the moment, he can use the occasional Ni wisdom. He think he can be our first good example of a wise and intelligent ESFP, a type usually thought of and portrayed as an idiot.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I have to agree with the descriptions in OP's original post. I don't think the types can be any other trait. I think the types were planted to purpose to create conflict with each other. Anng and Zuko are in conflict relations with each other being ISTJ and ENFP. Katara and Sukko was ESFJ and ENTP. You can tell there was some sort of sibling rival on how they couldn't tolerate each other at times. You can tell in the first episode they hated doing chores with each other and conflict erupt.

I didn't like Sukko for some reason. I thought he was too goofy and unrestrained. I thought it was because of his enneagram. His image wasn't a wing 1w2. He wasn't perfect.

DreamBeliever

Zuko seems more INFP than ISTJ, he spoke out against his father because of his personal values. He makes all his choices primarily based off how he feels bout them.

I think Sokka is an ENTJ, he loves to be the leader and take conrol of things.

Iroh I think is actually an ESFP. His is an old man so his fuctions are developed. He definetely has a strong SP traits always wandering around and loves to pamper his senses. He always seems to enjoy the simple pleasures of life and advises Zuko to do the same. His auxillary Fi is obvious in his moral speaches and the way he follows his heart. His tertiary Te can be seen in his past as a general, he can take command when he needs to. His inferior Ni is developed more than most, although he naturally enjoys the moment, he can use the occasional Ni wisdom. He think he can be our first good example of a wise and intelligent ESFP, a type usually thought of and portrayed as an idiot.
I definitely agree with you on Zuko & Sokka. I'm glad to find someone on the same wave as me with them. However, I think Iroh could also possibly be an ENFJ with well developed tert Se, who used to follow his dom Fe more in going along with his father's wishes & carrying out his work when he was a general. I see his Ni come out in his hopes for Zuko & his nations destiny. It's like he can already see something in Zuko that Zuko can't & knows that the world will one day be peaceful again. Him being in the white lotus also says N to me, just something about it. He also told Zuko that he never thinks things through, which leads me to lean J for Iroh (& reinforces P for Zuko). Just some thoughts I have. I think Iroh having Fe shows in his social politeness too, & he literally has to tell Zuko to be polite & to thank people & things like that. I thought your analysis was good btw.