• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ESFP "stupid" myth.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
That depends on what you define "intelligence" to be.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can you compose a symphony? Execute a highly detailed painting to look as realistic as a photograph? Survive in the wilderness? Excel socially?

NO?

Oh, sorry, bro - then you aren't intelligent.

That's what your argument looks like to me, in reverse.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Well that's not fucking intelligence, that's, again, musical acuity, spatial awareness, color sense, and lots of other things that are SKILLS. Intelligence is also a SKILL. When we talk about "intelligence", we're talking about the ability to think abstractly and quickly and come up with creative solutions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well that's not fucking intelligence, that's, again, musical acuity, spatial awareness, color sense, and lots of other things that are SKILLS. Intelligence is also a SKILL. When we talk about "intelligence", we're talking about the ability to think abstractly and quickly and come up with creative solutions.

I don't think you know what intelligence is, which is ironic considering the topic of this convo and your insistence on your superiority. A person can have musical or artistic skill but lack the intelligence to actually compose an original, full, complex symphony. That's what you're not getting. One ESFP may not be very smart, but another may be brilliant, even though they both lean heavily toward musical pursuits.

P.S. it's impossible to have NiTi unless you're INFJ. So I'm hoping you self-type as INFJ, otherwise your understanding of JCF is quite miserable. Again: irony.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
The ability to compose a musical piece involves creativity, not intelligence. There's a difference.

If you would have read Jung, you would have known that types were invented by Kiersey. Jung laid out the function but never put them in a system of order of strength or frequency of use. Ni and Ti are the functions I identify with the most, according to Jung.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You are funny, I hope you realize how funny you are.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

you mad?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I wish there was a MBTI Myth Busters with hosts with big moustaches and all that. Let's blow that to smithereens.

YES. But MBTI Mythbusters had better also have hot interns, ok?

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
And by the way, you don't "get" me. If anything, you fit under a more shallow mold than I do, which makes it even more embarrassing when you think you don't.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
We don't "get" you?

INFx, E 4w5

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish there was a MBTI Myth Busters with hosts with big moustaches and all that. Let's blow that to smithereens.

Totally, there should at least be MBTI Mythbusters thread, moustaches and explosions optional.

Are you honestly saying that the average IQ of all the ESFPs in the world is the same as the average IQ of all the INTJs or INTPs?

Probably not, but I will bet that the difference in IQ, if the sampling is done right, would not be hugely significant.

But what would this difference tell us? Not very much at all.

It would only confirm a little more our impressions that INTx’s are way obsessed with the stuff IQ tests measure and are going to practice those types of things more than the ESFPs.

Most ESFPs will not care about intelligence so they are less likely to adhere themselves to critical thinking challenges. This will include taking IQ tests seriously. It doesn't mean they are more incapable of doing so then intelligence obsessed INTs who try their hardest to look as intellectually challenging as possible. The case is it will be far more difficult to get an accurate understanding of an ESFPs critical thinking skills than it is an INT's critical thinking skills.

Exactly.

- STATISTICALLY, INTJS AND INTPS ARE OVERWHELMINGLY OVERREPRESENTED IN PEOPLE WITH AN IQ OF ABOVE 130. THIS IS IRREFUTABLE.

This is probably true, but far from irrefutable.

I can't fucking believe that the poisonous nauseating cancer of political correctness has spread to something so esoteric as personality types. Intelligence is a trait, just like any other. If you're saying that all types are of equal intelligence, why aren't you in tandem claiming that INTJs are just as, say, socially gregarious as ESFPs, it's just that they, as you put it, "don't care to show it."

I don’t understand it either.

But good lord aren't so many of them emotionally retarded. I don't just mean socially retarded - emotionally retarded, like INTJs over-simplifying human behavior and relationships to a point that they look stupid when they discuss it, no matter how high their IQ may be in maths or sciences, et al.

Why is this important?

IQ tests are skewed toward a particular type of intelligence.

Yes, very skewed, and in many different ways.

it requires intelligence to be a musician, a convincing performer, an artist, or an athlete. Some ESFPs are even writers of literature.

Yes, it does. A lot of it is skills to be developed, but it all has to start with intelligence.

Did you know there's an ESFP in med school on this forum? Yeah....

When was it ever denied that some ESFPs are ridiculously smart and excellent at school-type skills?

There's only one type of "intelligence": the ability to think and reason effectively. The "multiple intelligence" movement is a way to make everyone feel good about themselves because intelligence is so valued in society. I do think that things like spatial awareness and the like are important, but they shouldn't be called "intelligence", really. Regardless, this is just meaningless semantics. The "intelligence" we're talking about is the ability to reason, which IQ tests attempt to value.

Agreed on these points, but it doesn’t mean that IQ tests measure the pure ability to reason accurately.

No. Those things require determination, musical acuity, and other skills, but not "intelligence". Intelligence, again, is the ability to think logically and come up with novel solutions to problems. This is an oversimplification, but it'll do for the purposes of the discussion.

As I said, those things still require intelligence initially to be able to get to the skills.
So with the simplified definition of intelligence here being “the ability to logically reason and problem solve in a novel way,” this ability can be applied to TONS of different endeavors.

P.S. it's impossible to have NiTi unless you're INFJ. So I'm hoping you self-type as INFJ, otherwise your understanding of JCF is quite miserable. Again: irony.

In theory it should be impossible to be NiTi at all. But it happens. With weird type patterns like that, more information is needed.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It was important to point out to him since his argument was essentially "INTPs and INTJs are smrtrrrr than everybody and ESFPs are dumb" and I wanted to point out to him how in some cases of INTx (clearly not all INTx, of course) they can exhibit behaviors that also look "dumb" to more Feeler-ish types, and I don't think he was taking this into account.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I'm going to stop this argument because you are unable to understand what I'm trying to tell you and lack critical thinking skills.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- STATISTICALLY, INTJS AND INTPS ARE OVERWHELMINGLY OVERREPRESENTED IN PEOPLE WITH AN IQ OF ABOVE 130. THIS IS IRREFUTABLE.

-INTELLIGENCE IS PARTLY IF NOT PREDOMINANTLY ENVIRONMENTALLY ACQUIRED. ESFPS ARE LESS LIKELY TO BE DRAWN TO INTELLECTUALLY STIMULATING ENVIRONMENTS, THEREFORE THEY WILL BE LESS INTELLIGENT. INTJS AND INTPS TEND TO BE DRAWN TO INTELLECTUALLY STIMULATING ENVIRONMENTS. THEREFORE, THEY ARE GENERALLY MORE INTELLIGENT.

WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??????? WHAT IT ANY OF THIS IS REMOTELY INCORRECT????????

I can't fucking believe that the poisonous nauseating cancer of political correctness has spread to something so esoteric as personality types. Intelligence is a trait, just like any other. If you're saying that all types are of equal intelligence, why aren't you in tandem claiming that INTJs are just as, say, socially gregarious as ESFPs, it's just that they, as you put it, "don't care to show it." That would be ridiculous.

Perch420 does have a point here. even if the delivery was a little... passionate. it is blatantly obvious that being an ESFP does not make you stupid, but the amount of political correctness surrouding the issue is ridiculous. MBTI deals with the preferences in the brain's cognitive activity, to pretend that it does not have any correlation is simple ignorance. several tests have concluded that introverts tend to be more intelligent (this has been studied and documented for decades). other tests I've heard of (but not confirmed) concluded that Intuitive people have higher than average intelligence. we need to remember a few things discussing this issue.
1) correlation does not equal causation
2) there are more options than just "ESFPs are stupid" or "there is absolutely no correlation between type and intelligence"
3) correlation does not mean direct correlation
4) all political correctness aside, facts are facts

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Nice... I love internet memes, because they're familiar. I saw that before somewhere, which makes it funny.

KDude

What's more sad is that this thread is 58 pages long. At this point, the actual issue doesn't matter. What matters is that some of you are literal, bonafide maniacs for talking about it this much.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think intelligence is a array of different skill sets and abilities(including creativity, which can definitely be applied to music and art forms), maybe in it's most basic form, the ability the learn. I do admit abstract thinking/reasoning is a very complex form of intelligence(seems only humans are capable of this compared to other animals). It's really what seperates humans from the beasts.

@Perch420- if you prefer Ni and Ti as your main functions, you might be a INFJ in a NiTi loop.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I'm most likely an INTJ with a well-developed Ti. I don't identify with the INFJ description at all. Either that or I'm an unusually assertive and domineering INTP, since INTP is what I get on the MBTI (non-function) test.