• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ESFP "stupid" myth.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lex really lacks in the ability to evaluate and make sensible jugdments. I swear people like him will use ANYTHING to prove one group is better, smarter, and stronger than the other.
It's been going on for thousands of years, this is the worst kind of stupidity because it is blind.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
There are probably as many definitions of intelligence as there are experts who study it. Simply put, however, intelligence is the ability to learn about, learn from, understand, and interact with one’s environment. This general ability consists of a number of specific abilities, which include these specific abilities:

* Adaptability to a new environment or to changes in the current environment
* Capacity for knowledge and the ability to acquire it
* Capacity for reason and abstract thought
* Ability to comprehend relationships
* Ability to evaluate and judge
* Capacity for original and productive thought

I think we should get this clear with a DEFINITION of intelligence.

Intelligence derives from the latin word, intellegere, which means to 'understand'.

It seems to be that INTJs are the ones 'not understanding' here.

Congratulations on copy-pasting definitions obtained from google: Definition of Intelligence -- What is Intelligence? :in an attempt to sound intelligent.

Secondly, your Latin is totally [insert appropriate phrase in Latin here], good sir.

-----

This thread seems to be about intelligence, as in, intellectual ability; not as in, the ability to make freinds or shovel food into your mouth with a fork, although, both of those things are great.

Having said that, I don't know enough about personality typing to make any sort of real decision about intelligent ESFPs, but I'm going to take the reasonable route and say that they exist.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Congratulations on copy-pasting definitions obtained from google: Definition of Intelligence -- What is Intelligence? :in an attempt to sound intelligent.

Secondly, your Latin is totally [insert appropriate phrase in Latin here], good sir.

-----

This thread seems to be about intelligence, as in, intellectual ability; not as in, the ability to make freinds or shovel food into your mouth with a fork, although, both of those things are great.

Having said that, I don't know enough about personality typing to make any sort of real decision about intelligent ESFPs, but I'm going to take the reasonable route and say that they exist.
What else was I supposed to do? When I look for a definition, I go to the dictionary. How else would you define something?

I agree with everything else you've said.

But seriously, I'm not flaming the INTJs or anything. Just the ones who are just plain idiotic, and it wouldn't really matter if they were an INTJ or not. Because they'd still be idiotic.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Well, I've already stated it, but in my not so humble opinion, ESFP "intelligence" is not intelligence. Interpersonal relationship skills may be objectively acquired, as is evident by the "mask of sanity" adopted by psychopathic serial killers, who understand social mores, understand proper social etiquette, but have no, or little, empathy. Therefore, having "people skills" is not necessarily a sign of intelligence, only concern.

If you wish to point out certain character traits you find desirable in an ESFP, that is a different matter, but don't conflate interpersonal skills with intelligence.
That whole argument basically said 'You're Wrong, I'm Right. My type of 'intelligence' is the holy one. I'm the best.'

:hug:

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lex makes a distinction between sheer raw intelligence and the way it is expressed, and then proceeds to judge ESFPs by the way they express their intelligence. Isn't the raw brain power the real intelligence, but I do agree that an INTJ will be judged by westren society's standrads as more intelligent.

Westren society values hard working serious minded people.
Society in the west tends to think impulsive behaviour(perceiving) is irresponsible and foolish. But other societies value going with the flow, adapting.
Adapting is something an ESFP should be VERY good at, and if I can recall, being able to adapt to new and changing environments is one of the definitions of being smart.

INTJs express their intelligence in their great vision and planning and ESFPs express their intelligence in being able to quickly adapt and respond to the environment. But this does not mean INTJs are totally rigid and ESFPs can't plan ahead.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I've already stated it, but in my not so humble opinion, ESFP "intelligence" is not intelligence. Interpersonal relationship skills may be objectively acquired, as is evident by the "mask of sanity" adopted by psychopathic serial killers, who understand social mores, understand proper social etiquette, but have no, or little, empathy. Therefore, having "people skills" is not necessarily a sign of intelligence, only concern.

If you wish to point out certain character traits you find desirable in an ESFP, that is a different matter, but don't conflate interpersonal skills with intelligence.

If that's any kind of an argument, than on the flip side you can say that anyone can acquire calculus, quantum physics, philosophy, and any number of other subjects- and then show off their skills- while still having little or no interest. These are subjects taught in a class or in books, while social skills are taught by watching and listening. Even an idiot can learn these subjects if they try. Intelligence has to do with how quickly a person can learn and comprehend. It has nothing to do with interest or motivation.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You seem to be implying the same situation as the poster Evan, to whom I responded by stating that there is no reason to believe that the margin of error for the test is extremely high. Also, I have already mentioned that the test taker's dishonesty in no way invalidates the concept I am propounding. The true ESFP will exhibit traits considered "stupid." To expound on that, it should also be noted that reading the descriptions of the respective types is crucial to understanding one's own type, and is in actuality more important than the test results themselves. It would be very difficult for an ESFP to "pretend" to be an INTJ for extended periods of time, or an ESFJ an INTP, or any other type combination, with the probability of a mistaken identity increasing as one approaches one's own type.

Of course, response bias will always be an issue, but this can be addressed by improving testing techniques. Regardless, testing is hardly the issue we're discussing, as I am referring to concrete personality types and not preferences. If you claim to be a type online, I will be inclined to believe you, and will only question you if your behavior does not seem to match your proclaimed type. There is little point in deluding yourself, and personality tests are designed to type you for who you are, which makes lying a self-defeating endeavour.

to the blue- please explain, in stats speak, why you would NOT think that the margin of error on a self reporting survey over an ambiguous subject involving the test taker evaluating themselves honestly would NOT have a high margin of error? Do you really think that most people have the self knowlege and honesty to be RIGHT? Plus, the basic 4 letter test is very flawed and often gives people the wrong result... please say that you understand THAT?!!

and there's a difference between having a "smart person personality" and actually BEING smart :rolli: You'd probably assume that I am kind of dumb if you met me- I laugh a lot, I love bad jokes, dumb movies and low society... I read tabloids in the checkout line and comment on them to other shoppers and can be entertained for hours with a bottle of bubble solution. I'm also a verifiable genius who got accepted to Harvard and can complete the NY Times Sunday Crossword in less than 8 minutes... and there's no way in hell that I'm an INTJ :rolleyes:

as my ISTJ says "there doesn't appear to be a connection in personality and intelligence- most geniuses are complete and total idiots... just look at you!" :laugh:

to use the definition of personality that we usually threw around in psych and social psych, personality is the organized pattern of behavioral characteristics of the individual. Unfortunatly, behavior doesn't necissarily reflect a person's cognitive abilities- an IxxJ will ACT more prudently than an ExxP, but that's a result of being cautious and semi-paranoid, not a result of actual intelligence. If we judged intelligence by a person's behavior Einstein would be a complete idiot! :holy:

In other words, you're making a mistake of judging intelligence by a person's behavioral characteristics AND you're making a mistake by beleiving in a flawed study and bad research :)

G

garbage

Hell, there's not even tight autocorrelation within the system. If one's MBTI type can't even reliably predict one's MBTI type, that's gotta say something with respect to how well it can be used as an indicator for other traits. So, go ahead and run your statistical analysis, come up with a model, and see how tight of a correlation you actually end up with.

and there's a difference between having a "smart person personality" and actually BEING smart :rolli: You'd probably assume that I am kind of dumb if you met me- I laugh a lot, I love bad jokes, dumb movies and low society... I read tabloids in the checkout line and comment on them to other shoppers and can be entertained for hours with a bottle of bubble solution. I'm also a verifiable genius who got accepted to Harvard and can complete the NY Times Sunday Crossword in less than 8 minutes... and there's no way in hell that I'm an INTJ :rolleyes:

This. This is the key. I'm sure that we all know people who "act stupid" but are not, in fact, stupid.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
People who act smart on the outside, and boasts that they're of a higher intelligence...

People who act dumb on the outside, and are humble about the level of their intelligence...

People who are arrogant, and think they're the best at everything, and thus don't try to learn...

People who aren't, and don't think that, and try to gain every single ounce of knowledge...

There's really no need to even say anything, because it's kind of obvious who're the real intelligent ones.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a person who shows all of their cards from the start is an idiot... I'd prefer to play dumb most of the time and shock people by being smarter than assumed than to play smart all of the time and be a disappointment :devil:

It's much more circumspect to pretend to be an idiot and let others underestimate you... then you have power over them and they don't even know it... the element of surprise is a wonderful thing! :)

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't even think Lex really cares about the reliability of the "stats". He's only looking for information that agrees with his biased thinking. I can't believe how utterly one-sided his thinking is, is he really epitome of someone who is fair, objective and makes well informed decisions.

There indeed is a difference between someone's surface behaviour and their true cognitive abilities. And he makes the distinction between the true cognitive abilities of a person and their behaviour, or the way they express their intelligence. He added on a perosn's outward behaviour to his definition of intelligence and this is a faulty way to judge a person's intelligence. Einstein indeed did do ALOT of things that seemed to make no sense and he actively hated the strict rote learning of the german education system. He was very absent-minded and that can look pretty stupid to alot people, but when we look at his body of work, it is very clear he was a genius.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yes... narrow thinking and ignoring blatant facts rarely makes a case for one's type :whistling:

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lex is making value judgements about people's personalities that has little to do with their cognitive abilities. Just because someone's interests is considered less valuable by you does not mean they have less cognitive ability. And the "evidence" you use from IQ test correlating with MBTI types is dubious and incomplete at best.

Physicist Richard Feynman's reported IQ was 125, now that is above average but that is no where near genius IQ. But would you consider him less intelligent than alot of mensa members with IQs much higher than his IQ? He did great work in quantum physics and predicted nanotechnology in the 1950s, but yet most of those mensa members could not touch his genius with his contributions to physics. And oh yeah, his outward behaviour probalby would not be consider intelligent by you, he was known to be a free spirited nonconformist, much like how an ESFP might behave. He himself thought psychometric testing was dubious as he had good reason to think.

I think the only way to truly even understand what intelligence is would be through neuroscience, not through faulty psychometric testing and the same goes for personality as well. Lex, the evidence for most of your arguments goes from incomplete to dubious to laughable. How can you so quickly draw conclusions based on incomplete data and understanding? And look, I am good at alot of tasks but prefer not to do them, there is a difference between your true abilities and what you prefer. How many times do people on this forum have to explain this to you.

Lex, the best thing for you to do is keep your mind open to new information and not just come so quickly to very incomplete decisions. Your prejudice is really outlandish!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lex could actually be much brighter than we think. Trying to get attention or has a really twisted sense of humor and just wants to see how far we'll go with this.

Or maybe he just got rejected by some ESFP he asked to the prom. Or made fun of him and hurt his feelings.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really hope he does not believe the utter nonsense he is saying on this thread, that would be very sad indeed.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really hope he does not believe the utter nonsense he is saying on this thread, that would be very sad indeed.

Would it really matter?
This thread is very entertaining.

He may have some ungodly mole or bad teeth, or is very obese or smells and overcompensates by trying to sound intelligent and saying that people around him are simpletons and ESFP's are stupid. Since we are generally a happy, carefree bunch, we may be a nice internet target for him. That's the beauty of the internet.

I could be wrong. He could be a very handsome, intimidating, and overall intelligent fellow from high society who genuinely knows some very retarded ESFP's and would like to air his grievances in a safe and anonymous environment.

Either way, I'm sure he's got his reasons for his posts.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jesus Christ this thread is horrible.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread illustrates blatant prejudice and psuedoscience 101.
There are a few cretins crawling around here trying to use MBTI for purposes other than what it was meant for.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
to the blue- please explain, in stats speak, why you would NOT think that the margin of error on a self reporting survey over an ambiguous subject involving the test taker evaluating themselves honestly would NOT have a high margin of error? Do you really think that most people have the self knowlege and honesty to be RIGHT? Plus, the basic 4 letter test is very flawed and often gives people the wrong result... please say that you understand THAT?!!

Well, first of all, your use of the term "margin of error" is ambiguous in and of itself. Statistically speaking, a margin of error is simply the likelihood that a parameter will not fall within the confidence interval, which has little practical application to our discussion, especially considering that we have no sample. To further expand on margin of error, it is a value that is given to a probability sample to be used in the extrapolation of data to a greater portion of the population. None of this is relevant to the discussion, not least of which because, again, there is no sample. Not that a statistical survey is necessary to begin with, as we are only focusing on correlation, and not to acquire quantitative information about a given population.

Whether or not the test itself gives an accurate result is not my concern, since this can be mitigated by proper testing techniques, along with calibration experiments. What I am discussing is the archetypes of the given types, and their reflection in the real world.

It is ridiculous to think that type cannot be matched with intelligence (in this case, we could use IQ as a proxy for intelligence) simply because of some unsubstantiated basis for response bias in a test that carries little social stigma and would therefore be expected to entail relatively minor quantities of it. Could it be that, instead of selecting a particular type because people want it, they select it because it reflects their own natures, and they prefer it for this very reason? Any correlation between personality types and intelligence is significant, provided that the standard deviation isn't absurdly high (and no evidence exists that it is), since it establishes, for whatever reason, that a hierarchy of intelligence exists amongst personality types.

I realize that the greater population is constituted of little more than ignorant dimwits, but the test is relatively straightforward and only asks that you select the answer that best describes you. On top of this, the test can be simplified and broadened, along with being professionally administered, all of which could mitigate response bias. Of course, this would cost a sizable amount, so it is out of the question for me to conduct on such a scale.

and there's a difference between having a "smart person personality" and actually BEING smart :rolli:

Not really. "Smart person" personalities are considered smart for the very reason that they are. People associate them with intelligence because of the very fact that they meet the standard definition of "intelligence."

It is not a coincidence that the greatest scientists and philosophers in history have exhibited the personality traits of INTJs and INTPs. The clownish "genius" is a myth, or at the very least, a rarity on the fringes of the bell curve. I am afraid that if one scours the history books, he will not find many representations of ESTPs amongst the Great; be it military geniuses, political geniuses, mathematical/scientific geniuses, or even artistic geniuses.

You'd probably assume that I am kind of dumb if you met me- I laugh a lot, I love bad jokes, dumb movies and low society... I read tabloids in the checkout line and comment on them to other shoppers and can be entertained for hours with a bottle of bubble solution. I'm also a verifiable genius who got accepted to Harvard and can complete the NY Times Sunday Crossword in less than 8 minutes... and there's no way in hell that I'm an INTJ :rolleyes:

And I can solve a Rubik's Cube in under two minutes. :rolleyes: What is your point?

I judge you by how well you establish and present your arguments, along with your ability to infer logically, which I have yet to see displayed from somebody who claims to be a "verifiable genius." I apologize, but once again, history doesn't furnish us with examples of "geniuses" who talked like "valley girls" and who "can be entertained for hours with a bottle of bubble solution."

as my ISTJ says "there doesn't appear to be a connection in personality and intelligence- most geniuses are complete and total idiots... just look at you!" :laugh:

More anecdotal evidence. If we are to discuss statistics, then you must remember that we are always referring to averages. The average INTJ will be more intelligent than the average ESTP. Group aggregates, and not individual variables. As always, exceptions prove the rule.

to use the definition of personality that we usually threw around in psych and social psych, personality is the organized pattern of behavioral characteristics of the individual. Unfortunatly, behavior doesn't necissarily reflect a person's cognitive abilities- an IxxJ will ACT more prudently than an ExxP, but that's a result of being cautious and semi-paranoid, not a result of actual intelligence. If we judged intelligence by a person's behavior Einstein would be a complete idiot! :holy:

That's nonsense. Einstein was far from being the buffoon that he is made out to be by those who wish to associate their idiotic behavior with a genius. He was most certainly introverted and spent most of his time alone, pondering over his theories. The notion of Einstein as an "eccentric" originated in the fact that he did not assimilate well (or rather, he was often rejected) to the established intellectual institutions, particularly in Germany, and did not bother to don the "professional" appearance of the contemporary intelligentsia. He was certainly not the clown that you would make him out to be.

In other words, you're making a mistake of judging intelligence by a person's behavioral characteristics AND you're making a mistake by beleiving in a flawed study and bad research :)

Flawed study and bad research? Proof? Besides, no study that I have linked to was badly conceived.

Behaviour is almost certainly a reflection of intelligence, and certainly a reflection of accomplishment. IQ has been correlated with both criminality and social achievement. I only take this one step further and link personality with IQ.

In the end, there are reasons why ESFPs are typically portrayed as idiots: because their type is, by nature, idiotic.