• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fictional NT Females

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I know that I want one of my female characters in my book to be a NT type, but I want to look at some example characters from tv, comics, anime, manga, books, movies, etc. for some guidance. I'm leaning towards her being an _NTP, but I'm not married to the idea. So, if you could post some I would be thankful

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know that I want one of my female characters in my book to be a NT type, but I want to look at some example characters from tv, comics, anime, manga, books, movies, etc. for some guidance. I'm leaning towards her being an _NTP, but I'm not married to the idea. So, if you could post some I would be thankful

Elle Arroway ("Contact") -- INT(J)
Jadis, the White Witch (Narnia) -- xNTJ

Lara Croft ("Tomb Raider") is probably ISTP... keep the spunk, focus more on the abstract for an N.

The problem for INTP women in stories is that INTPs are fairly inactive characters, and there aren't many male ones to bring up, let alone female ones.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm, off the top of my head:

Current Television:
Liz Lemon (30 Rock)- INTP
Christina Yang (Grey's Anatomy)- INTJ/ENTJ?

Recent Movies:
Juno: ISTP? INTP?

Emma Thompson always seems NT-ish to me in the movies I've seen her in:
Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing
Elinor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility (IxtJ, at least)
Karen Eiffel in Stranger Than Fiction.

Will think of more and get back to you. (Never realized how many fictionary female characters are Fs! And the Ts are usally TJs.)

redacted

i doubt anyone has read snow crash, but if so, YT is definitely ENTP.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
What about Rachel in Bladerunner?

Jae Rae

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dorothy Zbornak in The Golden Girls: INTJ

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Argh... I'm still at a loss for inspiration. Her storyline is going to consist of her not caring to take part of the story's plot at the beginning. Later she will have to become active with the other main characters because her brother is contributing to the antagonist's side and she vows to stop him.

I probably can't have her as an ENTP because I have another character that fits the role too well. I want to make sure to have a variety in my characters. So that leaves INTJ/INTP/ENTJ. I would really like for her to be INTP, but I'm afraid I might not be able to pull it off. I read an entire chapter on INTPs and I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing about them.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Watch Bladerunner. Rachel is a stereotypical INTP. Rational, cool, highly intelligent, unemotional, precise in language.

"Tell me that you want me."

Rachel - "I want you. Put your hands on me."

Jae Rae

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dorothy Zbornak in The Golden Girls: INTJ

I can't believe I didn't think of that!

I probably can't have her as an ENTP because I have another character that fits the role too well. I want to make sure to have a variety in my characters. So that leaves INTJ/INTP/ENTJ. I would really like for her to be INTP, but I'm afraid I might not be able to pull it off. I read an entire chapter on INTPs and I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing about them.

You don't have to write her as an ____ type. Just write from a place that is natural for her role in the plot- and the places she will have to go emotionally/mentally, etc.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Haha... You're seeing the trees and I'm seeing the forest. Her personality makes all the difference in the plot to me.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, all you've described is the purpose she needs to fulfill in the plot! :D (So I assumed you were going for a plot approach to the problem, rather than a character approach. Not that a double approach isn't possible.)

*sniff* After I racked my brain to think of a female INTP for you and all: Enid in Ghost World.

I'm sure you know a least one INTP female, at any rate, whether you know it or not. Maybe you just need to get to know one better? Or, I don't know- spend more time at INTPCentral.

Take all with a grain of salt:
What I know about INTPs: Can be "nerdy", can be slackers, can be geeky, can be cool. Can analyze things to death. Can be silly. When get angry/upset, might rant about how everything is illogical.

What I know about female INTPs: They sometimes masquerade as INFPs and vice versa.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, all you've described is the purpose she needs to fulfill in the plot! :D (So I assumed you were going for a plot approach to the problem, rather than a character approach. Not that a double approach isn't possible.)

*sniff* After I racked my brain to think of a female INTP for you and all: Enid in Ghost World.

I'm sure you know a least one INTP female, at any rate, whether you know it or not. Maybe you just need to get to know one better? Or, I don't know- spend more time at INTPCentral.

Take all with a grain of salt:
What I know about INTPs: Can be "nerdy", can be slackers, can be geeky, can be cool. Can analyze things to death. Can be silly. When get angry/upset, might rant about how everything is illogical.

What I know about female INTPs: They sometimes masquerade as INFPs and vice versa.

Thanks for the advice. I'll watch ghost world asap. :) (and Blade Runner)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mary Malone ("His Dark Materials" by Pullman) - INTP
(mature/balanced form)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about the character Scarlett Johanson plays in Lost in Translation? (sorry, I'm bad at remembering character names) -- IxTP?

Or Katherine in The English Patient -INTJ? (as opposed to the nurse who seemed more like an IxF? - eh..now I'm questioning Katherine..)

I'll see if I can come up with others...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watch Bladerunner. Rachel is a stereotypical INTP. Rational, cool, highly intelligent, unemotional, precise in language....

Yes, in that regard.

But she's not an active character. She is just a foil for Decker to act against or react to.

This is the problem with INTPs. They are not very active. When you write/tell a story, the protagonists have to actually be active... unless the entire story takes place within the perceptions within their minds.

Any INTP who takes a more active role starts looking like a light-hearted/whimsical ISTP... or if they are more social, ENTP.

They do better as secondary characters against which the protagonists react. Or in stories that are mostly about dialogue/relating, rather than action per se. That's where INTPs are most active, externally.

For example, Mary who I describe above is essentially the "voice of wisdom" in her story. Her actions consist of perceiving what is going on, then imparting her knowledge to the heroes.

Ricky in "American Beauty" is another male example. He mostly is just reacting to what active characters do to him, he is not actively asserting himself against others.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, the actress who played Rachel (Sean Young) is certainly active and getting herself in the news.

American Beauty is a great movie.

Jae Rae

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, the way my book will be structured will be quite odd in some instances. It has a protagonist and 6 other characters he encounters on his "journey" that reflect 6 points of view. The story has a fantasy/adventure tone, but the main theme is that of friendship. I just wanted a strong NT female character because I know it will give a valuable perspective to my story.

The story will be told in third person and the story will focus on her development as a person, so I intend for her to be more than just a foil. I would like to have a theme for her that explores the idea of living an examined life, which is actually kind of cool since some type Socrates as an INTP.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
What about Doctor Christina Yang in Grey's Anatomy? Is she an INTP?

cristina1.jpg

Sandra Oh

Last edited: