• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Of Mice and Men

CyberHiker

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6
Types: Of Mice and Men Characters

This is all from memory:

George: ESTP
Lennie: Mentally Disabled
Slim: ENFJ
Candy: INFP
Curly: ISTP
Carlson: ESXX
Whit: XXTP
Curley's Wife: ENTP
"The Boss": ESTJ
Crooks: INTP

There's some cool type dynamics going on in that book. Imma go re-read it :yes:

Ingenue

I would argue to say that George is a J-type. It's been a while since I read the book, but doesn't George kill Lenny at the end in order to "save" him? I feel only a J-type could impose his will this extremely on another like this. I would also argue to say he is an F, because he kills Lenny out of love. So...

George - ESFJ

Which makes sense because George is Lenny's caregiver of sorts.

CyberHiker

MBTI Type
INTX
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, that's a valid point, and also the fact that George keeps Lennie with him and doesn't just dump him makes it more likely that he is an F. However he is only that way with Lennie (could also be due to knowing him longest). As I said, this is from memory and not very accurate.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
George was definitely directive. So ENFJ perhaps, but he seemed sort of STJ'ish from what I remember, but that was high school when I read that.

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Just finished reading this 2 nights ago!

Yeah I'd agree George would probably be some kind of SJ, he was directive and authoritarian - he didn't seem like an F at first, but the part where Lennie remembers all the things his Aunt Clara had said about how George was always there for him and sharing with him painted a different picture.

Curley's wife has to be and ESFP, surely?! She wants attention from everybody and wanted to be a famous film star or something. I would be interested to know what made you type her as an NT? That probably would have been the last 'quadrant' I would have put her in.

I don't think the characters of Crooks, Carlson and Whit are really developed well enough to evaluate.

Candy might be and IxFP?

Not sure about Lennie - and just because he was intellectually disabled doesn't mean he was without a personality, I'd say IxFP, because he's quite passive and gentle natured (apart from the killing part, but it was an accident!)

Slim gives me and INFx vibe ... he's wise, compassionate and quiet.

Curley seems to me an ESTP

Idioteque

I think George was ISTP or something.. a bit secretive, intelligent and he dreamed of independence and a place of his own, where no one else but him and Lennie could live in peace and quiet. I think the very clear vision of the life he wanted may perhaps be tert Ni, but he doesn't seem to have a plan except taking jobs like on the ranch.

And Curley's wife wanted the attention because she was given none by her husband. She sacrificed her dream of becoming an actress for a marriage she is not content with.

Moodyc22

Yes, I know this thread started 8 years ago. But I'm still putting this in:
I can't say all that much about the other characters, but Slim is a definite INFJ. At the end of the book, his Ni let's him know exactly what happened through his past encounters with George and Lennie. He is then able to use his Fe to comfort George. Besides the functions, Infj's are natural Empaths. Slim knows just what to say to comfort Lennie. Last of all, he has a mask, as is common with INFJ's. And while he has a cold and calculating demeanor about him, he really just wants to help others and give them puppies.

Ahhhhh Slim is SO amazing!

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
George ISTJ 1w9

Lennie ESFJ (hard to type beyond stereotypes as yes- typing from a whole new line of expectations since hes emotionally/mentally at a different level than the norm)

Everyone else I forget i read this forever ago