• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Juno and Superbad characters

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Superbad

Fogel - INTP, possibly ISTP
Seth - ESTP
Evan - ISFJ

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Juno - ENTP
Bleeker - ISFJ

What about Vanessa and Mark's type?

Mark - INTP
Vanessa - ESTJ
Leah - ENFP
Stepmother Bren - ESFJ
Father Mac - ISTP

Juno - ENTP
Bleeker - ISFJ

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Juno is OBVIOUSLY an ISFP. Being a fictional character who actually did have a script to follow, however, may have made her seem a bit N. People usually aren't so spontaneously articulate. Her constant artistic decoration of her world, however, is clearly Fi-Se. Clearly.

I guess I should also explain why she is not an ENTP. ENTPs are much more engaged with people they've just met. They like to talk to them and, yes, they say off the wall things, but they overall seem interested and engage the other person. Juno said off the wall things to people she just met, but she didn't really seem like she wanted to get to know them and lock them into conversation.

-Oh, your name is Juno, like the city in Alaska!
-No.

End of conversation. I don't see an ENTP doing that.

Bleaker was probably INFP.
Vanessa was a blatant SFJ
Leah was probably ESFP
Juno's dad was a blatant ISTJ
Don't know what Mark was. He seemed inconsistent.
Don't know what Juno's mom was.

Now for Superbad

Seth - ESTP
Fogle - INTP - yes, can definitely be that goofy. I'm an example. Not all INTPs are stiffs, as INTPc would seem to indicate.
Evan - INTJ

zago

MBTI Type
INTP

A very ENTP thing to do.

EDIT: I will go a long way to argue that Juno is an ISFP. I wouldn't do it often, but this I am so certain about that I could expend all sorts of energy backing myself up. Maybe I will.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I guess I should also explain why she is not an ENTP. ENTPs are much more engaged with people they've just met. They like to talk to them and, yes, they say off the wall things, but they overall seem interested and engage the other person. Juno said off the wall things to people she just met, but she didn't really seem like she wanted to get to know them and lock them into conversation.

But how does that make her more ISFP than ENTP? Even if I thought that your characterization of ENTPs here is correct, I don't see how her behavior supports your typing of ISFP.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's very ENTP in that absolutely nothing fazes her. She just works it out. Says what she needs, gets it, moves on. The thing where she stopped to go into the guitar room when there was an important meeting going on downstairs -- not so important to her -- she'd already dealt with it. I'm pregnant, you can have the baby, done deal, ooo, here are guitars, I'll play with them while you people talk about whatever it is you're talking about. Everybody else is a step behind her because she doesn't get bogged down.

The Juno like Alaska - No thing -- ENTP one-upmanship. "You think you know what you're talking about, but you don't."

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
First of all, let's talk about what Juno is not.

First, a lot of people seemed to think she is an ENTP. They are wrong.

Richard Feynman is an ENTP. I've read both of his autobiographies. One of my best friends is an ENTP. He travels the world and constantly accosts strangers and engages them in interesting conversation. And so did Feynman. They are amazingly good at improvising their way through new social interactions. They want to explore the world, and are sincerely interested in what each person has to offer. They are high energy. Juno was low energy. Here's another obvious ENTP, talking about how he is an ENTP, in a typical ENTP fashion:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0GuglxtXA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0GuglxtXA[/YOUTUBE]

Notice, the walls behind him aren't decorated and overflowing with elaborate art and style. It's not about style with the ENTP. It's about exploration of the outer world. I'm not saying that they never decorate anything or make art, but let's just say that ISFPs do, and it is their one true and absolute trademark. The ENTP's trademark is sense of humor and command of social interaction. Sound like Juno? Fuck fucking no. Juno had an ironic, subtle sense of humor. ENTPs are not ironic. They don't pretend to be serious when they are trying to be funny, and if they do, they don't put on much of a show.

Now let's debunk ISTP, which is also not the type of Juno.

The ISP part is obvious, ok? But have you ever known an ISTP female? Or male for that matter? Hello? Did you ever see them making all sorts of emotional artwork? FUCK NO (I tried to say that like an ISTP). That's Fi. I know an obvious ISTP female, and she would talk about blowing her own brains out before singing a song that goes

"here is the church and here is the steeple
we sure are cute for two ugly people
don't see what anyone can see in anyone else but you"

ISTPs are the epitome of unemotional. Juno was very emotional, and she expressed that emotion with the decoration of her external world. Fi. Se. It just seems obvious to me because I have known a handful of girls and a couple of guys like this in real life. They revolve around artistic expression. ISTPs revolve around technical things. End of fucking story.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What decoration?? I missed all that entirely.

Qre:us

Juno is OBVIOUSLY an ISFP. Being a fictional character who actually did have a script to follow, however, may have made her seem a bit N. People usually aren't so spontaneously articulate. Her constant artistic decoration of her world, however, is clearly Fi-Se. Clearly.

-Oh, your name is Juno, like the city in Alaska!
-No.

End of conversation. I don't see an ENTP doing that.

Welcome to the world of a teenage female ENTP. As I got older, my bubbliness finally caught on, and now, I will have at least 2-3 encounters a day with random strangers. Last one I saw today was talking about how he is proud of himself for kicking his cocaine addiction (2 years sober)...which led us to conversation about Afganistan and the poppy farming, etc, etc. We were waiting for a bus.

In my teen years, ^ was NOT me. There was a more distinct sharpness/coldness/aloofness to me. Most humans bored me, actually. It's called, not yet discovering the full capacity of Fe. I was known as pretty darn anti-social as well.

My first year dorm roomie & me, after I arrived 2 days late, in order to purposely avoid Frosh week (and, all its bullshit).

My first day with the new roomie:

Her (going a mile a minute): HI! So, since we're going to be bunking together for a WHOLE year, and you came late, you missed out on some of the activities we did. One we did for roommates to get to know each other better. *pulls out paper*
See, we just ask each other these questions to get to know each other. Would you like to start? :smile:
Me: No.
*turn off light, go to sleep*
Her: uhh...well, um...good night?

** she still reminds me of this story 7 years later, 'you were such a punk back then.'

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
What decoration?? I missed all that entirely.

Uhhhh... you blind by any chance?

JunoFOX0802_468x396.jpg

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So your argument is basically the following:

If you are an ENTP, then you are not ironic, and you are high energy.
Juno is ironic and has low energy.
Therefore Juno is not ENTP.

If you are ISTP, then you are unemotional and not artistic.
Juno is emotional and artistic.
Therefore Juno is not ISTP.

Then you randomly conclude from there that emotional + artistic (which for some reason are the only traits you feel are relevant to her personality) must mean that she's ISFP. You don't even consider other non-ENTP and non-ISTP types that might be emotional and artistic.

I don't buy it. In the first place, I know two ENTPs and both of them are highly ironic and deadpan. The only difference between them and I (an INTP) is that they are more excitable. Juno was excitable. Remember how enthusiastic she got about the guitar? And the cheesy gore movies? If I were in a comparable situation, and I were a guitar/music/cheesy gore movie enthusiast, I would probably have kept the enthusiasm to myself. If I mentioned them at all.

Further, I would take issue with your characterization of Juno as emotional. As emotional people go, I would rank her fairly low on the spectrum based on her behavior in the movie. And even if you disagree about her not being emotional, I would argue that it is a mistake to think that Ts are not emotional in the first place.

Even further, being artistic (which she wasn't really ever creating art, it just looked like she had aesthetic appreciation of some things and so filled her environment with them) does not mean that you are an SF. Plenty of NTs, NFs, and even some SJs have artistic inclinations. I (like pretty much everyone else I know, to varying degrees) like to decorate my living environment with stuff that I think is pleasing to look at. That is hardly criteria to definitively call someone ISFP.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
So your argument is basically the following:

If you are an ENTP, then you are not ironic, and you are high energy.
Juno is ironic and has low energy.
Therefore Juno is not ENTP.

If you are ISTP, then you are unemotional and not artistic.
Juno is emotional and artistic.
Therefore Juno is not ISTP.

Then you randomly conclude from there that emotional + artistic (which for some reason are the only traits you feel are relevant to her personality) must mean that she's ISFP. You don't even consider other non-ENTP and non-ISTP types that might be emotional and artistic.

I don't buy it. In the first place, I know two ENTPs and both of them are highly ironic and deadpan. The only difference between them and I (an INTP) is that they are more excitable. Juno was excitable. Remember how enthusiastic she got about the guitar? And the cheesy gore movies? If I were in a comparable situation, and I were a guitar/music/cheesy gore movie enthusiast, I would probably have kept the enthusiasm to myself. If I mentioned them at all.

Further, I would take issue with your characterization of Juno as emotional. As emotional people go, I would rank her fairly low on the spectrum based on her behavior in the movie. And even if you disagree about her not being emotional, I would argue that it is a mistake to think that Ts are not emotional in the first place.

Even further, being artistic (which she wasn't really ever creating art, it just looked like she had aesthetic appreciation of some things and so filled her environment with them) does not mean that you are an SF. Plenty of NTs, NFs, and even some SJs have artistic inclinations.

Juno had a sense of emotional maturity about her. "Emotional" doesn't necessarily equate to outward emotional displays, especially for Fi types. She didn't show her emotions childishly, but I still feel the decisions she made were emotionally based. An ISTP would have had the abortion, or if she hadn't, she would have come up with a logical explanation of why. Juno suddenly got a bad feeling about it, and ran out. She didn't set up an argument justifying herself like a T would be apt to do.

Art seemed to be at the center of Juno's life. For other types, it is more of a side interest, but they are still quite often interested. The movie didn't show her creating much art (but it did show some, her playing the guitar, her lawn-setup and admiration of the armchair), but there was ample evidence of how her life seemed to revolve around artistic expression. This just wasn't needed for the plot.

You've reduced my argument too much as well. You have personal experience, and so do I. Every type can have any quality. Of course just because someone likes art and makes emotion based decisions doesn't make them an ISFP. Any type can like art. Any type can like anything. We need to use generalities to narrow things down, though. This is a game of probability. Your arguments for her being an ENTP could be treated similarly.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uhhhh... you blind by any chance?

JunoFOX0802_468x396.jpg

You didn't notice it's hideous? That is not artistic, my friend. That is someone clueless of art.

The furniture bit was a joke.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
You didn't notice it's hideous? That is not artistic, my friend. That is someone clueless of art.

The furniture bit was a joke.

You aren't just talking about the phone, are you? I found the decor, including the lawn setup, to be amazingly creative, something I could never have cooked up. The phone and the furniture on the lawn were all obviously slightly or more than slightly ironic, but that only adds to the creativity of it. "Hideous" it may be, but art doesn't need to not be hideous. In this case it is the expression of a quirky, random, creative personality, and would be impressed if I knew her in real life.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
An ISTP would have had the abortion, or if she hadn't, she would have come up with a logical explanation of why. Juno suddenly got a bad feeling about it, and ran out. She didn't set up an argument justifying herself like a T would be apt to do.

I think you're generalizing the characterization of what 'T' constitutes. Logical rationale happens irrespective of dominant trait expression -- emotion is a logical pattern of instinctive event spurred by a mechanical connection to environment.

IIRC, Juno's rationale for not getting the abortion was likely an Fi event -- she was exceedingly uncomfortable in the clinic, and didn't want to go through with the procedure on this basis.

While I agree that Fi was likely in charge of her reasoning here, I don't think it necessarily permeates her cognitive being, as one would otherwise expect of an ISFP. We don't see Juno displaying 'stereotypical' woe-is-me behavior, which could be argued as the sort of resilience one would normally find in an ExTP when dealing with an event as profound as teenage pregnancy. Her flippant treatment of Bleeker is also an ExTP trope, as is her intellectual infatuation with the Mark's hobbies.

Admittedly, we're in kind of a weird, nebulous space, as we're dissecting cinematic characters that might not conform to the sort of behavior otherwise anticipated against type. At best, I'll concede that Juno could be an ExTP, versus ENTP...

Art seemed to be at the center of Juno's life. For other types, it is more of a side interest, but they are still quite often interested. The movie didn't show her creating much art (but it did show some, her playing the guitar, her lawn-setup and admiration of the armchair), but there was ample evidence of how her life seemed to revolve around artistic expression. This just wasn't needed for the plot.

While I see what you're saying here (ISFP = interest in art), I think you do your reasoning a disservice here. I daresay we could argue just as easily that the 'Hamburger' phone is an example of Ne connection. Or, that her obsession with fake tobacco pipes / weird oversized sunglasses isn't also an example of Ne in motion.

Not much can be concluded from her interests in art. Art is generally a conceptual entity culled from a realistic baseline. (Munch's 'The Scream' as an expression of hopelessness and depression he felt from personal alienation/his array of mental illnesses).

As art flows 'twixt N and S realms, it's a tough nut to sell as evidence.

You aren't just talking about the phone, are you? I found the decor, including the lawn setup, to be amazingly creative, something I could never have cooked up.

I don't think offering personal behavior as evidence (to your bolded point) makes much sense. As a counterpoint, I could simply retort that I see much of myself in Juno, and she is therefore ENTP as a result...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quirky, random, creative, yeah. I love her too.

But I don't see any unifying vision there. I see a kind of geeky girl who collects a random assortment of "cool stuff." To me, that is not art. My cat does that.

I could cook up the lawn set up in my sleep. But the way she used it was damn funny and very NT. Very improvisional.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Quirky, random, creative, yeah. I love her too.

But I don't see any unifying vision there. I see a kind of geeky girl who collects a random assortment of "cool stuff." To me, that is not art. My cat does that.

I could cook up the lawn set up in my sleep. But the way she used it was damn funny and very NT. Very improvisional.

Improvisional? Is that even a word? And if I were to assume it was a word, that is not the least bit improvised. Improvisation, by definition, is done spontaneously, on the spot. This event clearly took an inordinate amount of planning, and that's actually where a lot of the humor in it comes from in my opinion. She set up furniture on someone's front lawn for god's sake!