• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious and cult founders

KDude

It just dawned on me that Buddha's life was almost like the Truman Show.

So maybe he's almost impossible to type. He was apparently manipulated from birth to just live to "enjoy the moment", oblivious to bigger problems. The thing that dispelled it was just simple curiosity. That's him in his purest state. Who's to say what function that could have been. :)

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He was clearly Ne using -- his beliefs are a synthesis of magickal traditions from various sources - clandestine (Memphis-Misraim) Freemasonry, the Golden Dawn, the Ordo Templi Orientis (the latter two of which he took over), Egyptian paganism, etc. That, and his beliefs were all based on an axiom-based logical system of analysis of reality, based on "eras" (Era of Kali, Era of Horus, etc); not on personal beliefs or ethics.

And you think Ne is the synthesis of magical traditions from various sources? So tell me, where did Si go?

I kind of think Buddha is a Ti type actually. An INTP.. or even ISTP. At least, I think Buddhism is more Ti than Fi or Fe. More emphasis on detachment and self-containment, warnings against what extent you define yourself by or get involved with others. The path to enlightenment has little to do with other people (except maybe in Mahayana Buddhism..).

Either that, or he just discovered to emphasize something very Ti like.

Interesting point. His philosophy does remind me of INTP, but strange that his views seems Ni oriented.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quiet and withdrawing. Hippy.
Erm... no. That's just the public perception of him. He can be summed up like this:

Jesus H. Christ said:
I come with a sword.

Not the words of someone interested in subtlety. Nor is, for that matter, tossing over tables and shouting in a temple at bankers. And, of course, his secondary concern is... *drumroll*... helping the plight of the downtrodden, second to helping people reach the glory of the kingdom of god (otherwise known as 1, with a 2 wing). But you knew that, didn't you?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could the Buddha be a ISTP in a Ti Ni dom/tert loop? I think he is at least a Ti dominant from what I've gathered so far.

G

Ginkgo

I don't think Moses was an extravert. He felt uncomfortable as a speaker, which was why he relied on his brother Aaron to speak for him. Further...

"Aaron served as Moses' spokesman. As discussed above, Moses was not eloquent and had a speech impediment, so Aaron spoke for him (Ex. 4:10-16). Contrary to popular belief, it was Aaron, not Moses, who cast down the staff that became a snake before Pharaoh (Ex. 7:10-12). It was Aaron, not Moses, who held out his staff to trigger the first three plagues against Egypt (Ex. 7:19-20; Ex. 8:1-2 or 8:5-6; Ex. 8:12-13 or 8:16-17). According to Jewish tradition, it was also Aaron who performed the signs for the elders before they went to Pharaoh (Ex. 4:30)."

It seems like Moses was either behind the scenes or charting the course.

KDude

Erm... no. That's just the public perception of him. He can be summed up like this:

I come with a sword.

Not the words of someone interested in subtlety.

First off, "I come to bring a sword" is a 1 thing. He was illustrating that his words would divide people.. as reformers do at times. He said those words within the context of naming his first 12 disciples (in Matthew 10), and told them to preach in different towns. It was his first act of organizing and delegating, and he warned them that they might run into trouble and get persecuted. He goes into a monologue charting out that his ministry is going to change things, people will be divided, and that his disicples shouldn't expect it to be all fun and games. "No, I come to bring a sword."

More importantly, your mistake is thinking that if he had a 9 wing, it would make him less of a 1. Or as if having a 2 wing somehow magically gives him "less subtle" 1 qualities. No, he is a 1 either way.

Anyhow, he did have some 9 traits though. He's a guy who said "Look at the birds of the air. They neither sow, nor reap, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are they more important than you?" as a way to tell people they need to chill out and not worry so much.

Also, when visiting two sisters, one (Mary) was happy to sit and listen to Jesus speak.. while the other (Martha) worked herself up trying to prepare food for everyone. She finally lost it and asked Jesus, "I'm doing everything by myself. Are you not going to tell my sister to help me?" Her idea of right vs wrong was focused on being needed and hospitality. Jesus replied "Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better." [Luke 10:28-42] Does that sound like a 2 to you? He and Mary both are conflicting with one right there.

second to helping people reach the glory of the kingdom of god (otherwise known as 1, with a 2 wing). But you knew that, didn't you?

Actually he could pull a fast one, sound like Buddha at times, and say you ultimately had to find the kingdom of God on your own.

Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you." [Luke 17:20,21]

Really though, we could debate this forever. Jesus isn't exactly clear cut. I'm just here to show you another side.

miyuki

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I wondered why I kept forgetting to look up Jesus! It makes sense, though I have to admit I am amused to be the same type as Jesus Christ. Sooooo many thoughts.
Ah, but the HOW.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Buddha was the epitome of enneatype 9 :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually agree with Aleksei about Jesus...I would call him INFJ with enneagram 1w2.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
He had a denial of Se in his quest. He started embracing some of it again though. His life story can be summed up as living from one extreme of indulgence to the other extreme of asceticism. And then it hit him - life should be more balanced. To use the summary from wikipedia (for the sake of brevity). His path came to him by finally denouncing asceticism.

Siddhartha and a group of five companions led by Kaundinya are then said to have set out to take their austerities even further. They tried to find enlightenment through deprivation of worldly goods, including food, practising self-mortification. After nearly starving himself to death by restricting his food intake to around a leaf or nut per day, he collapsed in a river while bathing and almost drowned. Siddhartha began to reconsider his path. Then, he remembered a moment in childhood in which he had been watching his father start the season's plowing. He attained a concentrated and focused state that was blissful and refreshing, the jhāna.

Enlightenment

According to the early Buddhist texts, after realizing that meditative jhana was the right path to awakening, but that extreme asceticism didn't work, Gautama discovered what Buddhists call the Middle Way—a path of moderation away from the extremes of self-indulgence and self-mortification. In a famous incident, after becoming starved and weakened, he is said to have accepted milk and rice pudding from a village girl named Sujata. Such was his emaciated appearance that she wrongly believed him to be a spirit that had granted her a wish.

Following this incident, Gautama was famously seated under a pipal tree - now known as the Bodhi tree - in Bodh Gaya, India, when he vowed never to arise until he had found the truth. Kaundinya and four other companions, believing that he had abandoned his search and become undisciplined, left. After a reputed 49 days of meditation, at the age of 35, he is said to have attained Enlightenment.

But the thing is, he had started life "normally" (albeit sheltered from the suffering and realities of people outside his palace).. then went ascetic.. then found balance.

Just something to think about. You could be right. I just thought INJs tend to start off differently. Where they're less grounded first, then indulge in Se as a way of finding their path. Not the other way around :tongue:

I agree with you on this one...Siddhartha started out with excess of Se, went to an ascetic Ti/Ni, and then eventually found balance.

I really want to say ISTP.