• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Book of Eli

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Eli - intx or infj. I want to say infp but he walked way from a few people in need. He was very determined to finish what he felt he had to do without distractions.
Solara - xsfp or xnfp. I think she's more introverted but I dunno.
Carnegie - intp, maybe intj.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
INFP is more likely.. They are the crusaders. They are the Knights , They are the ones loyal to a cause. His conscience played on him every time he walked away, and he brought down vengeance later for one of those walkways.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think eli was an ISTJ, actually. He was somewhat methodical, had to remember the entire bible (seems like an Si thing), didn't let anything get in his way (Te), and had an underlying stoic morality that kind of bumped heads with his end goal (tert Fi). Either way he was def Te/Fi. That's just my guess.

Last edited:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Si? Was he a walking encyclopedia? He studied one book, for years and devoted his life to this one cause. Even Weak Si would be able to memorize one book if that was all that was focused on..
Not saying you are wrong..

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Si? Was he a walking encyclopedia? He studied one book, for years and devoted his life to this one cause. Even Weak Si would be able to memorize one book if that was all that was focused on..

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Carnegie is probably INTJ, not INTP IMO.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah I can see Carnegie having more J. He is a control freak. What made me wonder about P is that he didn't really get off his butt to find the book until he really had to. Then again if I had minions at my disposal I'd do the same thing..

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Eli - ISTJ
Solara - ENFP i think. Its hard to seem extraverted in a desolate wasteland but i caught something of that vibe.
Carnegie - INTJ

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'd agree that Eli was an SJ. ISTJ/ISFJ.

I'm almost inclined to say ISTJ just based on how much I loved his character. I rarely, rarely appreciate characters the way I did his.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Eli was a walking bible, which is still a TON of information. This would go beyond functions, not even the most Si-est Si-user could memorize every word in a book. Although it is suggested he was chosen by god, or otherwise had his abilities qualitatively increased by god. Eli does fit the archetype of an ISTJ. He's dutiful, very serious concerning his mission, and followed through with his goal. An INFP is sometimes referred to as a 'questor', but I couldn't see many INFPs doing what the character Eli did. They'd probably feel too daunted or get bored half way there and wander off somewhere else. It would make sense that in this story, god would choose some kind of SJ to do this task, because they'd be more likely to get it done.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Eli is a great example of an Enneagram 1 who carries himself with the power of an 8 (the sexual 1 can be confused for an 8 if their principled and particular nature are overlooked). However, I don't yet know enough about flavors of ones to be able to confidently assign an instinctual stack to him, but he seems to have the focus/intensity of the sexual instinct and the global perspective of the social instinct, and he certainly puts himself in danger, seemingly without any sort of awareness or afterthought, but self-preservation isn't immune to risk or danger.

I think he's likely an INTJ who has developed exceptional Se due to compensation for his blindness. I don't think memorizing the Bible is a good enough reason to conclude Si, and in fact, I'm sure part of his memorization would be tied to imagery he associated with the text, especially considering he wasn't always blind.

He exhibits a strong commitment not only to personal morality and self-discipline, but to his vision, as evidenced by this quote that he repeats: "Stay on the path. It's not your concern." And on that path he stays, traveling many miles and rowing out to sea, even after being shot in the stomach and hemorrhaging through a duct tape bandage, all to arrive at a predetermined destination with a commitment to his vision of reprinting the Bible.

Tomb1

I previously identified Denzel Washington's character* as the independent, willful, cunning VIII character type. The character is essentially a rugged individualist who demonstrates an instinct for exercising power masterfully. Moreover, his core action set centers around ruthless expedience, inflicting pain on those who get in his way without remorse or guilt, and never backing down from a fight but it's tailored to the average levels of health. The real fight is his quest. This core action set is not the product of an emotional disturbance because the character is clearly in a lucid frame of mind. His animalistic senses in battle are consistent with the passion of Lust. The diabolical-aggressive gestalt (8w9) makes for a better fit than the savage-aggressive gestalt (8w7). The character's nomadism is a clear marker for soc-last but overall the character is too soft, diffusive, and non-materialistic for a SP 8w9. SP/SX 8w9 characters are more rapacious and menacing.

For Socionics, LSI-Ti is the best fit. The character's closest real life counterpart would be James Cavanagh (LSI-Ti 8w9 SX/SP):

YouTube

*i'm discounting any possible metaphysical explanations for the character's behavior.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=13911]Tomb1[/MENTION] - We can certainly agree to disagree since that's kind of our thing, but I just thought I'd expand on my reasoning here.

Eli and Carnegie are not cut of the same cloth but rather a juxtaposition of power via good vs evil. Carnegie is looking for power and will ruthlessly take out anyone who gets in the way, including Solara's mother whom appears to be his partner via slavery, essentially. Eli is certainly brutal, but never without justification (keyword: justice) and never out of lust but rather as the judge, jury, and executioner.

This scene contrasts the two in terms of their motivations. It is clear that Eli is digging for motives from Carnegie and getting a feel for his surroundings in order to gauge what his next move should be. He is strategizing based on analysis of Carnegie's character/goodness or evilness (and of course awareness of his surroundings). Carnegie discusses the power of possessing the Bible under the guise of righteousness so as to appeal to Eli's code of ethics. Eli responds to Carnegie in the most sincere of ways but isn't a fool because he knows that if Carnegie possessed the Bible, he'd only use it for evil and power. In fact, I think the entire purpose of this scene is to contrast both character's motives. Let's not forget that this entire movie is based in Christianity and revolves around Good vs. Evil.

I think it was with great intention that both characters were similar in their power yet so different in their motives and morals.

This is ruthless aggression rooted in lust:

This next scene is righteous anger rooted in principle. Eli even defends himself against accusations of pushing the cat intentionally, which an 8 would not feel a need to do, especially in the tone in which Eli speaks. Furthermore, he makes it clear he doesn't "want any trouble" to give the man a way out, which is a repeated theme in the movie, and then has a visible "ah, fuck" reaction when the guy dies, which he didn't intend. The group fight scene is out of necessity/self-defense, and again dripping in biblical code of conduct. He even stops when Solara yells "Stop!":

I was unable to find this scene, but toward the beginning, Solara is sent to Eli's room to sexually satisfy him. Eli responds immediately by walking quietly to the door and opening it to show her the way out. This is a bit of a literal example but i think valuable nonetheless as it shows self-discipline > lust. He lets her stay the night without sex only after she tells him that Carnegie will hurt her mother if she doesn't.

As far as Socionics/MB type goes, I see more wiggle room there, but also... that's not really my jam so much as Enneagram and internal motivations, so I'm not really invested in defending a particular type for him there, but I do think he uses Se, Ni, Te, and Fi in some order, and is an obvious thinker.

Last edited:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
[MENTION=13911]Tomb1[/MENTION] - I concede to your typing of Eli as 8w9 Sx/Sp, and likely LSI. Eli is uncannily similar to a man I dated and lived with whom I've struggled to type. At the time of writing the above, I had him pegged as a sexual 1. I've now realized that he is in fact most likely an 8w9 Sx/Sp, which I did previously consider many moons ago. I also think my ex was LSI but likely ISTJ in MB.

I'm sure this gives you great pleasure, so enjoy.
Next time, show me why I'm wrong so I can actually learn something.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why? Curious since I was originally thinking along those lines.

Ones are over-social in focus, and eights are under-social. He appears to fall under the latter.

1. The main difference between 8 and 1 is discipline and in that regard Eli is evidently on the 1 side of things.

2. Person must calculate in the circumstances: The world is blown to pieces and he is actually trying to save the whole culture, plus in such world everyone is at least somewhat anti-social. 8 almost surely wouldn't give a damn about "the book".

3. Typical e1 growth to 7 - moralist gone "road prophet".