• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Social Network

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
That was interesting, thanks for posting. Still, the movie is glamourising and perpetuating that philosophy, (and making a shitload on the back of it) so Sorkin can't wash his hands so easily.
One wonders why such a successful writer/producer would want to be involved in a project which makes him "wish he could go door to door to apologize" to the women (and presumably enlightened men) he offends (though one doesn't have to wonder for very long).
Clearly there were other possible treatments, they were just less commercial.

It reminds me of the similar debate over The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series ""Misogynist violence is appalling," the author whispers; "now here's some more."

That's an interesting point, one I fear I can't comment on: I haven't yet seen the film, though I probably will eventually.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Parker also knew what he was talking about. That is, I believe, what convinced Zuckerberg even more than the side effects of his past successes.

No, it went further than that. Like that time Parker convinced him to pull off that stupid stunt of wearing pajamas to the investors meeting. Zuckerberg had absolutely nothing to gain by doing that aside from trying to be "hip" like Parker. Its not like Parker would have walked out on Facebook if Zuckerberg didnt do it, AND Zuckerberg was also very enthusiastic about doing it.

Maybe he regarded it as a loss in a competition. It is also more Saverin's claim than Zuckerberg's behavior what made me think of jealousy in the first place. Zuckerberg did not seem so terribly upset to me.

Saverin was always on Zuckerberg side (except of course when he was about to get abandoned) and Zuckerberg gained a lot from Saverin being buddies with the other clubmembers - that's how Facebook got its first boost (when Zuckerberg spammed everyone there). Also, it is clearly implied that Zuckerberg sabotaged Saverin's final initiation test by leaking "animal cruelty" to the college paper. Zuckerberg had absolutely no reason to do that - except of course that Zuckerberg couldn't get over the fact that Saverin was about to be accepted into the club that Zuckerberg couldn't even try out for.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see why there is a movie made about them to begin with (and it sounds dull)....Facebook is not very innovative. Before it was Myspace, before that, Friendster...it just happened to gain the most popularity, which the other two sites set it up for (social networking has gained popularity in general).

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't see why there is a movie made about them to begin with (and it sounds dull)....Facebook is not very innovative. Before it was Myspace, before that, Friendster...it just happened to gain the most popularity, which the other two sites set it up for (social networking has gained popularity in general).

Maybe, but any rote system or organization can have an incredibly intriguing story, distinct and more interesting than any other of its kind. There are billions of married people, and some have a story of their relationship that is amazing and compelling. Some don't. Why is a social networking site any different?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe, but any rote system or organization can have an incredibly intriguing story, distinct and more interesting than any other of its kind. There are billions of married people, and some have a story of their relationship that is amazing and compelling. Some don't. Why is a social networking site any different?

This is far from "incredibly intriguing". I've read the synopsis. Pretty dull.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Character #1:"I am above this movie!"
Character #2: "You are dumb for believing the story"
Character #3: "I enjoyed it. The real Zuckerberg is INTJ. I know because blah-blah-blah"
Me: You guys do realize it's just a movie...

Stormtrooper: Move along.

1250530813_dancing_storm_troopers.gif

If you haven't seen the movie, you aren't providing anything meaningful to the thread.

The Social Network (I realize my mistake in the thread title.)
I just saw this movie yesterday.

What do you think their types are?

Mark Zuckerberg: INTJ 3w4 so/sp
Eduardo Saverin: ESTJ 6w5 sp/so
Sean Parker: ENTP 7w6 so/sx

Agree? Disagree?

Mark wasn't an ISTJ.
Saverin was extroverted.
Parker...yeah, he is an ENTP. I doubt he is a sensor, but that'd be the only other option.

Nicodemus

No, it went further than that. Like that time Parker convinced him to pull off that stupid stunt of wearing pajamas to the investors meeting. Zuckerberg had absolutely nothing to gain by doing that aside from trying to be "hip" like Parker. Its not like Parker would have walked out on Facebook if Zuckerberg didnt do it, AND Zuckerberg was also very enthusiastic about doing it.
It is not like he jumps off a bridge just to please Parker. He does something he enjoys himself: he has some I-am-superior fun. Walking around in pajamas is not such a big deal for him, by the way. I think that much can be concluded from his always wearing sandals. Of course he is being influenced by Parker (BITCH!), but not to the point where he simply obeys his commands. Parker leads the way because he is good at it; when Parker is being arrested, Zuckerberg takes over again.

Saverin was always on Zuckerberg side (except of course when he was about to get abandoned) and Zuckerberg gained a lot from Saverin being buddies with the other clubmembers - that's how Facebook got its first boost (when Zuckerberg spammed everyone there). Also, it is clearly implied that Zuckerberg sabotaged Saverin's final initiation test by leaking "animal cruelty" to the college paper. Zuckerberg had absolutely no reason to do that - except of course that Zuckerberg couldn't get over the fact that Saverin was about to be accepted into the club that Zuckerberg couldn't even try out for.
Zuckerberg denies any involvement in the 'animal cruelty' article. It is there so you can use it to condemn him, but you do not have to believe in Saverin's suspicion. If it is true that the article may have damaged the project, which no one seems to object to, I doubt that Zuckerberg would do something like that merely to annoy his friend - thereby risking what is most precious to himself.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't get it - evidently there were none. Is that fact ignorant and offensive? I suppose, but I didn't invent it. To wit, from above:

Is it surprising there wasn't a competent woman around?
:doh: Does light bend around you? This is incredibly dense.

Do you think it's appropriate to rely on the testimony of a "very angry and deeply misogynistic group of people" as to the competence of the women around at the time?

Despite Sorkin's attempt to deflect attention from himself by attacking his subjects, such contempt is clearly not conveyed in the movie itself. Not so that the average movie-goer would notice, at any rate.

Just take a look at the reviews from this site:
I saw The Social Network. Perfectly directed. Perfect cast. Great story.

The Social Network
Watch it. I liked enjoyed loved this film. Will buy the DVD too.

The Social Network
How do you make a entertaining movie about facebook where the narrative consists of flashbacks centered around lawsuit depositions? Get Aaron Sorkin to write the script, David Fincher to direct, and throw in a little Timberlake! Far more interesting than I'd have ever thought, and I loved the Sorkin rapid fire dialogue throughout (sometimes you couldn't laugh because the next line was already being said). No one is really the bad guy, they're all just following their nature. You understand why they do what they do, even if they don't. Accidental billionaires indeed. All the leads were great, even Timberlake as the the Napster inventor/douche.
Highly Recommended.

It's a very good movie. The script was well-written. Don't want to spoil too much but it's a dramatized history of the founding of Facebook.

I am shocked at how well-rated this movie is. Its on my list, right alongside Inception, of movies to see.

:laugh: God forbid a movie about Facebook be good.

The worst thing people have to say is that it's a boring and unoriginal plot idea. No one has so much as hinted at the misogynistic tone of the movie. According to you, they're just a bunch of essentially good guys, doing what comes naturally.

Do you think if the lead characters were a bunch of racists or into pedophilia the reaction would be same?

OrangeAppled said:
I don't see why there is a movie made about them to begin with (and it sounds dull)....Facebook is not very innovative.
You don't? It's because they are rich. There will never be a movie about Tim Berners-Lee.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Do you think if the lead characters were a bunch of racists or into pedophilia the reaction would be same?

If there was a film which was openly anti-white/male/ginger you'd have people lauding the movie as an unbiased and 'totally fair' masterpiece. You may find that the females they bumped into were only background noise, shit happens. Sometimes you flip a coin 100 times and get heads every time. This is real life, not unlimited monkeys and unlimited coins. Therefore this is faux pas uproar. The movie doesn't have any female role models as apparently there wasn't in real life: (note they didn't come up with an epic conspiracy to edit a female role model out). Therefore there doesn't appear to be some kind of misogynistic conspiracy at play.

However if you wish to continue burning your bra regardless of the lack of moral casus belli then by all means, continue. Why not go out there and become super rich yourself and have your own filmography made? There are plenty of successful females around, just because there aren't any in a specific case does not make the story not worth telling.

Other peoples choice to like or dislike films regardless of how much you like or dislike the film does not make their choice invalid if yours is different. Sorry, but you're wrong. People have freedom of choice, as do you.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not convinced that depicting misogynistic characters automatically makes a movie bad, any more than depicting racism in a movie is bad. :huh: Perhaps that's why there wasn't an uproar?

I don't think anyone is saying those kinds of attitudes are ok or even glorified in the movie. I don't think anyone is arguing the characters aren't misogynist. In fact, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with - enjoying the movie?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not convinced that depicting misogynistic characters automatically makes a movie bad, any more than depicting racism in a movie is bad. :huh: Perhaps that's why there wasn't an uproar?

I don't think anyone is saying those kinds of attitudes are ok or even glorified in the movie. I don't think anyone is arguing the characters aren't misogynist. In fact, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with - enjoying the movie?
No one noticed the misogyny, till I mentioned it - that's my point. Either it wasn't noticed (most likely) or was noticed but not considered worth commenting on.

I have no problem with a movie depicting and condemning any kind of prejudice. Let's have more! I have a problem with the insidious glamourization of misogyny that still goes on. That leads to the kind of ignorance MacGuffin/InvisibleJ demonstrate: " hey, all the women gotta be dumbasses 'cos that's what the script says and, ya know, it's based on real life and shit".

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not exactly subtle. That was why I was wondering about the accuracy, since he's such a jackass in the film. It's probably not pointed out because it's just obvious.

I interpreted it as the characters surrounding themselves with vapid girls because they didn't want "real" women and/or "real" women didn't want to be around them because they're douchebags (which seems especially likely). So in that microenvironment, it does seem likely that dumbass groupies would be the only women around them (assuming the film's accuracy, which is of course debated).

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
That leads to the kind of ignorance MacGuffin/InvisibleJ demonstrate: " hey, all the women gotta be dumbasses 'cos that's what the script says and, ya know, it's based on real life and shit".

I didn't claim 'all womans gotta be dumbasses', you are stuck upon your narrow paradigms and high horse again. Let us know when you want to get off.

my-marxist-feminist-dialectic-brings-all-the-boys-to-the-yard.jpg

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
We shouldn't do films depicting the Holocaust either. We don't want to make it seem like the Nazi's were bad people, or anything.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not exactly subtle. That was why I was wondering about the accuracy, since he's such a jackass in the film. It's probably not pointed out because it's just obvious.
I think that's naive of you. I think it flew right over the heads of most of these folks. That's why I asked what the response would have been if the sexism were a less tolerated ism.
I guarantee, there would have been outrage.
Let us know when you want to get off.
You won't be helping me get off anytime soon, so you might as well stop trying.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
You won't be helping me get off anytime soon, so you might as well stop trying.

I don't particularly care about you getting off. What you want to do in your own private space is entirely up to you.

But I won't be misrepresented, when you clearly know exactly what was said and why in an attempt to justify whatever today's Morgan Le Fay argumentative trip is.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't particularly care about you getting off. What you want to do in your own private space is entirely up to you.

But I won't be misrepresented, when you clearly know exactly what was said and why in an attempt to justify whatever today's Morgan Le Fay argumentative trip is.
Listen, buddy. If you feel free to characterise me as a Marxist feminist, without knowing what the fuck you're talking about, I'll interpret your comments as I see fit.

For example, it seems to me that you've got a HUGE chip on your soldier when it comes to intelligent women, as your recent comments in a number of threads clearly demonstrate. I'm sorry if they reject you for your astonishing maturity, but there's not a lot I can do about it. Tell someone who cares.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Listen, buddy. If you feel free to characterise me as a Marxist feminist, without knowing what the fuck you're talking about, I'll interpret your comments as I see fit.

For example, it seems to me that you've got a HUGE chip on your soldier when it comes to intelligent women, as your recent comments in a number of threads clearly demonstrate. I'm sorry if they reject you for your astonishing maturity, but there's not a lot I can do about it. Tell someone who cares.

Amusement. :D I love intelligent women. I love intelligent men. I don't characterise those who pick, chose and misquote others to suit their own moral quibbles as intelligent. Nice try in going to great efforts to misquote me as an attempt to find a red herring you could point at me and now you won't back down.

I'm both surprised and alarmed at the number of ad honimem attacks you launch in an attempt to poison the well and to annihilate discussion that is not in favour of your mindset and beliefs.

What can you say. I'm always amused when someone's dummy falls out because you turn their own assumptions upon themselves. Just so you know, your hypocritical tendancy to pull the argument 'I can brand you with the labels I chose BUT DON'T DARE SAY YOU CAN TALK ABOUT ME THAT WAY!' is showing in public again. How about we progress past puberty and attempt to address what is technically correct or morally relevant instead of wasting time taking pot shots at others character because they don't agree with our ideals?

Please provide some realistic reason why the facebook movie should be altered to include something which is more false (not based upon your own individual moral narrative) or everything you have presented in this thread would appear to be nothing more than a weak and logically false appeal to motive. Even better, provide us proof that the dramatisation should not be viewed as apparently you are claiming that somehow viewing misogyny turns one into a misogynist? How bizarre.