• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How I met your Mother

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Yep, I made another one.

Ted - INFP
Marshall - ENFP
Lilly - XSFJ
Barney - ESTP, slightly N
Robin - ISTP

Last edited:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
No way is Ted a thinker. INFP.

I'd say Robin is ISTP.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
No way is Ted a thinker. INFP.

I'd say Robin is ISTP.

Ted often gets caught up in a lot of technical details. He's obsessed with accuracy. He also overanalyses things like a lot of INTPs. It's true he does have that 'searching for one true love' thing, which is more F (though I wouldn't say it's exclusive), but overall I think he's more of a T.

Robin is always trying to get forward in life and get a better job. She often gets picked on as hating fun and being too serious, so I think she's a J.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Ted is obsessed with finding the right woman and having the perfect life with kids. That's his number one goal in life. He's not an INTP. Plus, he's pretty open with his emotions. He's almost exaggerated in his NF-ness. Plus, there are plenty of INFPs that like to overanalyze things.

Robin is driven, but she's also all about living in the moment. She doesn't want to be tied down. She's into sports and travelling the world and taking risks.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Yeah, he does have a lot of F traits, I suppose. Some things still seem a bit T (encyclopaedia for example) but you're right. Probably more F overall.

I'm still not sure about Robin being a P.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ted - INFP
Marshall - ENFP
Lilly - ISFX
Barney - ENTJ
Robin - ISTP

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Yep, I made another one.

Ted - INTP
Marshall - ENFP
Lilly - ISFX
Barney - ESTP, slightly N
Robin - ISTJ

Ted is so a Feeler type . INFp or INFj.
Marshall - yeah I can see him as enfp, totally.
Lilly- surprisingly she is a feeler type, a weak feeler but a feeler. She's also the one I have most trouble typing.
Barney began the series as an estp but he seems to be more of a entp lately, at least to me. extp.
Robin- istp

Usehername

On a mission
We've done this show already.
Marshall: ENFP
Ted: ISFJ
Barney: ENFJ his plans are all people-focused. He orchestrates people, not anything else. Plus, remember the flashback when he was about to join the Peace Corps?
Robyn: ESTP
Lily: xsFx

Ted's a traditionalist--ISxJs need not be boring people. He wants to settle down, have a family and then reminisce about it. The entire show is based around the fact that Ted in 2030 feels the need to re-live every tiny detail of his earlier life. And aside from the main premise of the show (his love life misadventures) Ted doesn't want to leave what is familiar to him--he and Robyn broke up because of this character trait. Ted complains when Barney wants to go to a different bar. Ted complains when people try to pressure him to have a different routine than wearing the same hallowe'en costume every year, going to the same event every year... Ted complains when Barney wants to take him on any new adventure... Ted is clearly an ISxJ.

Also, Robyn as a Te user baffles me. She's clearly an xSTP--hates to plan ahead, hates to plan in general, wants to be free to act upon her impulses as she sees fit, when she sees fit. TiSe combo.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
We've done this show already.

I didn't find the thread when I searched, which is why I made one.

I agree that my original idea of Ted being INTP was a bit silly. But I don't think he is ISFJ. That was actually one of the first things that occured to me, but I changed my mind quickly. Ted is a dreamer. His want of a family isn't out of traditional ideals but his idea of a perfect life with his one true love. He is imaginitive and works as an architect. He often shows an N style sensing failures where he will be so caught up by his thoughts, ideas, and sometimes ego that he will not realise what other people are obviously thinking or feeling. He's not really practical and rather more fun-loving than devoted to work (though, yes, much more reserved than, for example, Barney, but that's more his introversion I think). I reckon INFP is a good analysis.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ted- ISFJ
Barney- ENFJ
Marshall- ENFP
Lily- ESFP
Robin- ESTP

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Ted- ISFJ - Yes
Barney- ENFJ - ENTJ
Marshall- ENFP - maybe, I am more leaning toward Fe
Lily- ESFP - ENFP
Robin- ESTP - maybe, could never type her, could be ISTP, ENTP, ESTP, ENTJ

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Ted- ISFJ - Yes
Barney- ENFJ - ENTJ
Marshall- ENFP - maybe, I am more leaning toward Fe
Lily- ESFP - ENFP
Robin- ESTP - maybe, could never type her, could be ISTP, ENTP, ESTP, ENTJ

Okay, how exactly is Barney a J? His life ambition is just to have lots of sex! He is always trying new things and hates working. I can see him as an N, but no way is he J.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
ESTP Profile
ESTPs are spontaneous, active folks. Like the other SPs, ESTPs get great satisfaction from acting on their impulses. Activities involving great power, speed, thrill and risk are attractive to the ESTP. Chronic stifling of these impulses makes the ESTP feel "dead inside."

Gamesmanship is the calling card of the ESTP. Persons of this type have a natural drive to best the competition. Some of the most successful salespersons are ESTPs. P.T. Barnum ("Never give a sucker an even break") illustrates the unscrupulous contingent of this type.

Almost unconsciously the ESTP looks for nonverbal, nearly subliminal cues as to what makes her quarry "tick." Once she knows, she waits for just the right time to trump the unsuspecting victim's ace and glory in her conquest. Oddly enough, the ESTP seems to admire and respect anyone who can beat her at her own game.

"If I was any better, I couldn't stand it!" To an ESTP, admission of weakness feels like failure. He admires strength in himself and in others.

"Shock effect" is a favored technique of this type to get the attention of his audience. ESTPs love to be at center stage, demonstrating feats of wonder and daring.

That is Barney. Can you seriously say this isn't Barney? He shows N sometimes, but in general, he's a straight ESTP.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Barney seems ENTP (maybe S, but his acumen for for certain broad or ideas, rules and fantasies which he utilizes a lot, makes me see some N) who plays a J to gullible women.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
lily is damn FJ.

she demands total control of her relationships (and those of others!!!), she's an intense perfectionist and she's perfectly happy with one man and one career for her entire life.

and I agree that barney is a P, probably an STP.

He gets by purely on panache, his investment in his job is near 0. If he were a J he would take his non-sexual exploits much more seriously or, if he took sexual conquest as his purpose in life he'd be less concerned with flamboyant technique ("the playbook") and much more concerned with sheer numbers.
edit: I have to take that back actually I just remembered the episode where he hits 200. Still I think he's P.
What keeps the character from being just downright evil is his P joie de vie.

Ted is an E, I think. He takes the advice of others and social standards way too seriously, plus he dates like a madman. He could be an ISJ though

Robin I dunno. I'm too busy imagining her naked.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Yeah, I think Lily is a J too. I've updated my original post with what I now believe their types to be. Still think Ted is an INFP.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can see INFP.

I dunno though, he participates is a lot of barney's sexual shennanigans.

I've known INFPs to be more into the role of ethically uncorrupted opponent.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
He gets by purely on panache, his investment in his job is near 0. If he were a J he would take his non-sexual exploits much more seriously or, if he took sexual conquest as his purpose in life he'd be less concerned with flamboyant technique ("the playbook") and much more concerned with sheer numbers.
edit: I have to take that back actually I just remembered the episode where he hits 200. Still I think he's P.
What keeps the character from being just downright evil is his P joie de vie.

I THINK the main reason people are typing Barney as a J is because he goes out and does a lot of stuff. Js are considered more doing people, while Ps sit back and relax more. But EPs, particularly ETPs, are very energetic and competitive. They love to win at whatever interests them. Barney is like this. However, he hardly has the devotion and work ethic of a J. Like you said, at work, he puts in no effort. He works hard at what he does because he's a nymphomaniac and likes showing off how 'awesome' he is.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I can see INFP.

I dunno though, he participates is a lot of barney's sexual shennanigans.

I've known INFPs to be more into the role of ethically uncorrupted opponent.

The same reason is why I don't think he's ISFJ. I think his FP gives him a certain degree of spontaneity. He's also far less focused I think than an ISFJ would be. I can't remember what happened in the ep, but I do remember once he tried to start his own home business and I'm pretty sure it ended in disaster.