• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flight of the Conchords

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I seem to be obsessed with typing fictional characters lately.

Jemaine - IXFP
Brett - IXFP
Murray - After much thought I think he might be the worlds most useless ENFJ
Dave - ESTP
Mel - ENFP
Doug - ISXJ
Greg - ISTJ
Coco - IXFP
Sally - ESXJ

Last edited:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
jermaine infp
brett esfp
mel entj (kristen schaal seems entj 1w2)

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
jermaine infp
brett esfp
mel entj (kristen schaal seems entj 1w2)

Brett's not an extrovert. He's totally timid.

But Mel may be a J. I don't see much T in her. Very emotionally driven. She obsesses over Jemaine and Brett so much. I can't see an ENTJ taking so much time out of when they could be doing more important things to follow them around like that.

Last edited:

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I think Murray is ESTJ

I thought he always seemed to imaginative to be an S, but maybe.

I think Murray is ISXJ. Probably ISFJ.

Nah, he's an extrovert. He's social with just about everyone all the time.

My new theory is that he is ENFJ. Here's some stuff from an ENFJ profile.

Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

If you remove the 'skills' and 'power', since Murray is useless, I think that's pretty much his way of thinking.

ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.

Murray works as a band manager at the same time as his other job and is always trying to create ideas for the band to take part in.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.

Murray is always going the extra mile for Brett and Jemaine. He always tries to do his best for the band, but sometimes has emotional outbursts and reacts irrationally, like when he quit the band. He is also protective of the two, telling them to wear the safety vests and go through dark alleyways to avoid large crowds for instance.

I'd say he's definitely an extroverted feeler and sensor, and Ni fits his personality rather well also, so now that I've thought over it again, I think ENFJ is pretty much a perfect match.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Nah, he's an extrovert. He's social with just about everyone all the time.

Dunno where you get that from. He only has one friend outside of the band. Watch episode 4 of season 2 ("Murray Takes It To The Next Level"). He awkwardly talks to people when in a position to do so, as most introverts will. Hardly proof of him being an extravert.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Dunno where you get that from. He only has one friend outside of the band. Watch episode 4 of season 2 ("Murray Takes It To The Next Level"). He awkwardly talks to people when in a position to do so, as most introverts will. Hardly proof of him being an extravert.

He might not have many personal friends but I think that's mostly since he's devoting himself more to his professional life. Extroverts don't HAVE to have lots of friends. He actively seeks out people to do business with. He's quite outgoing in social situations when he has the confidence. He strikes me as more of a shy extravert, but I don't know, maybe he's an INFJ. They still have that extraverted sensing and feeling...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Murray seems like a lonely extrovert to me. Brett and Jemaine both come off as introverts, and shy ones at that.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
By the way...What is so cool about this show? I've watched it, and don't get it.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
By the way...What is so cool about this show? I've watched it, and don't get it.

Hmm, I don't know if I could explain it, but I find it hilarious. It may just not be your style of comedy.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4

Not everyone will. The style of humour is a bit like that of Napoleon Dynamite in that either you love it or it's just not funny at all. I am a tick for both. I love FOTC.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Murray seems like a lonely extrovert to me. Brett and Jemaine both come off as introverts, and shy ones at that.

Yes, I agree. Murray fits the ENFJ profile very well I think, but his low skill level at just about everything and general ignorance means he's not that popular. Do you agree with ENFJ?

I could not understand why anyone would think either Jemaine or Brett are extroverts. Though I'm changing my original opinion of Jemaine as I think he's actually an F. In fact, they're probbably both IXFPs, most likely N.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
He only has one friend outside of the band.

He has a wife. Sometimes. He often neglects his responsibilities to her for the band (the episode where they go 'on tour' springs to mind, and this fits part of sherlock's ENFJ profile). He also has his assistant Greg (sort of) and the New Zealand Prime Minister sort of takes a shine to Murray, it seems. He also tends to be pretty up to flirting or playing wing man for the guys, even if he's not very good at it. He seems pretty desperate for more human contact to me.

Also, what made you think Jemaine is an F? Brett clearly is, but Jemaine isn't quite as clear to me.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Also, what made you think Jemaine is an F? Brett clearly is, but Jemaine isn't quite as clear to me.

Well I wasn't sure, really. He does seem more rational and less likely to warm to people than Brett, but he is very attatched to him, reacts spitefully when he feels he isn't included and sometimes comes across as an immature F. The songs he writes (the ones that are canon to the show and not just imagination sequences or whatever) often show a lot of his emotion. But then again, I also thought maybe T because he (usually, not with a few) has a less romantic view of women (often just wants sex). So I dunno. IXXP?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I think I'd agree ENFJ for Murray. Jemaine is definitely the hardest for me to type. It's a bit confusing because their songs are clever, but the characters themselves aren't. They are supposed to come off as daft and confused a lot of the time, so I don't think they're going to fit into MBTI extremely easily.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Yeah, I think I'd agree ENFJ for Murray. Jemaine is definitely the hardest for me to type. It's a bit confusing because their songs are clever, but the characters themselves aren't. They are supposed to come off as daft and confused a lot of the time, so I don't think they're going to fit into MBTI extremely easily.

I think the idea is that they are supposed to have songs that are unintentionally clever. Like Jemaine's 'Brett you got it Going On' song is hilarious, but the idea is that this was just what popped into Jemaines head in order to cheer him up, and then got sidetracked into defending any accusations against himself.