User Tag List

123 Last

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Default Type the 'A series of Unfortunate Events' characters

Here is what I am thinking the types are as I read this thread.

Violet: INTJ
    Klaus: INTP
    Sunny: ISTP
    Count Olaf: INTJ
    Mr. Poe: XSTJ
    Justice Strauss: ESFJ
    Uncle Monty: ENTP
    Aunt Josephine: ISFJ
    Phil: ESFJ
    Sir: ESTJ
    Charles: IXFP
    Dr. Orwell: ENTJ
    Lemony Snicket: INFX

And it's been a while since I've read anything but the first 2 books so I dunno about the rest. What do you think?
    Last edited by Mr. Sherlock Holmes; 09-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Is this the right place to put it?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Both Violet and Klaus are really bright but Violet is more practical and mechanically inclined and Klaus is more theoretical and bookish. I'd say ISTP for Violet and INTP for Klaus.

Sunny, I'm not sure, she's just a baby who likes to bite everything. I want to say some sort of SP. I was actually thinking ESTP but I really don't have a good idea.

Count Olaf, yeah, INTJ

ENTP for Uncle Monty

Poe and Strauss, not sure, ESXJ works.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I can see how Violet can be practically minded and such. It just seems like she uses a lot of Ne (though I'm pretty confident she's not ENTP). Always thinking and trying to imagine new ideas. I also thought possibly INTJ because of the practical side, where she always creates things with a purpose, but she comes off as more doing it for fun and curiousity when by herself.

I thought of Sunny as an introvert, because she seems to connect with objects much more than people (well she is a baby, but she still doesn't seem very interested in people), but she cares deeply mainly for her siblings and not really much about anyone else and later when she starts cooking, it seems a rather ISXP sort of pursuit. The F was mostly just conjecture. Being a baby, she is still very hard to type.

I thought Poe at least was a clear-cut STJ. All about details, rules, organisation, business etc. He cares about the Baudelaires yet will often be entirely concerned with making sure everything fits in to the way the bank wants it, the legal documents and such. He seems to be a bit of a logical negotiator, and I thought ESTJ was most likely, but I could also see I. Justice Strauss I was less sure about. I think she's an F actually.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

What do you think of Snicket for J vs P? Or do you think I'm way off?

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Just started reading 'The Wide Window' and I think Aunt Josephine is an INTP. She seems to fit in with the pointless obsession over a topic of logic thing. Also, after reading closely into it, I think Violet is an INTJ (Hey, if I'm right, that means we have a non-villainous INTJ!) as all her inventions seem to be strongly for a practical purpose, eg. she tries to think about how to get the engine on the ferry to work without puffing smoke out into the environment, how to create an alternative method of cooking food etc. I think it's moe J practicality than S practicality. She often gets stuck in her head imagining new inventions and stuff. I think she's definitely an N. Why is nobody replying to this topic but me?

I have no idea about Violet's type. Perhaps ENFP? ENTP? I've thought ITP, but she is so polite and will hold back some of her thoughts if she believes they will cause the listener any pain. All of the Baudelaires are described as polite and well-behaved. When they're in trouble, she scans the environment for ideas so that they can be applied in an immediate context, although when doing it for fun she does like to take her time. She also misses a lot of things that Klaus gets because she focuses more on their circumstances while Klaus focuses on the overarching themes of the plot and how it can end/where it is going, but she brainstorms a ton. A ton a ton. Her brainstorming and off the fly idea generation/application is how she saves the day.

Klaus reads a ton and that is what he brings to the table for the others. He has a wide vocabulary, extensive knowledge base, and he is great at figuring out puzzles (deciphering Aunt Josephine's message, for example). I think INTP with accepted Fe or INFJ. INFJ is slightly more odd because he retrieves from memory a lot. In either case, it is his knowledge base and gift with puzzles that saves the day.

Aunt Josephine is definitely ISFJ. She is very concerned with appropriate/acceptable behavior and speech and corrects these things when they are wrong (Fe). She likes things to be proper according to what she is used to (Si). She chides the children over the smallest details, and will even interrupt them mid-speech to correct them on one. Grammar is also a dry subject chocked full of details that a Si dom would not mind if they were really passionate about, and the tert Ti helps a lot with her verbal precision and overall understanding of the system. She is very cautious and safety oriented because inferior Ne makes her wary about every negative possibility. She dislikes the lake, but lives over it because of the familiarity. She also wants to hold on to the connection she had with her late husband (dwelling in the past is the hallmark of an unhealthy ISJ). She also buys the children really 'traditional' gifts -- a doll for Violet, a truck train set for Klaus, a rattle for Sunny. I personally loved her character because I think we can be so alike in many ways.

I believe Olaf is ENTJ.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Ah, a reply! I think your analysis of Aunt Josephine is much better than my observations, which were very weak because I was a little confused by her (it's hard to type someone with that much weird anxieties and stuff, I was mainly going on the Ti and Si of INTP). Violet is REALLY hard to picture as an extrovert or any kind. She's so reserved. You're right that she does do a lot of brainstorming on the fly, though I think that's probably more to do with their situation than anything else. I typed her as INTJ, since apart from her introversion I've previously mentioned that I'm fairly sure on, her inventions always have a lot of practical value. She's always thinking of them as a way to achieve particular goals as opposed to Klaus's interest in knowledge for the sake of it. She also seems the more dutiful of the two, especially in taking care of Sunny, but that could just be because of gender roles putting her in a more matriachal position.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Introverted iNtuition
    INTJs are idea people. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable. Whatever the outer circumstances, INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms and using real-world materials to operationalize them. Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!" Paradoxes, antinomies, and other contradictory phenomena aptly express these intuitors' amusement at those whom they feel may be taking a particular view of reality too seriously. INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems.

Extraverted Thinking
    Thinking in this auxiliary role is a workhorse. Closure is the payoff for efforts expended. Evaluation begs diagnosis; product drives process. As they come to light, Thinking tends, protects, affirms and directs iNtuition's offspring, fully equipping them for fulfilling and useful lives. A faithful pedagogue, Thinking argues not so much on its own behalf, but in defense of its charges. And through this process these impressionable ideas take on the likeness of their master.

That's a description of the Ni Te in INTJs that I think fits fairly well with Violet.

Also, I can see how Olaf can seem ENTJ at times. Overall I think he seems more introverted, but he does have some somewhat extroverted traits. In the movie version he seems pretty ENTP.

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    I have no idea about Violet's type. Perhaps ENFP? ENTP? I've thought ITP, but she is so polite and will hold back some of her thoughts if she believes they will cause the listener any pain.
    But why is that an extroverted trait? If anything, introverts are more likely to be shy, reserved and not want trouble if they can avoid it.