• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Type?

[YOUTUBE="Wk7qoHa_S-Q"].[/YOUTUBE]

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ or INFP - leaning towards INFJ. I think Fe-aux, not Fi. His lyrics focus on affecting other people or being affected by them more than his own feelings, IMO.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Well, he goes to the same store, because of product knowledge and selection. He talks of the technicalities of accuracy and vinyl. He feels a loyalty to music listening origins. Let it be know he also is considered very arrogant and supposedly attempted to play his band mates instruments on various albums, and that caused an uproar. He speaks of years, numbers, and the past. These things seem like an NT, but it seems like an unexpected interview, and somewhat forced and impersonal. He seems like an NF, due to lyrical content.
"Destroy the mind, destroy the body, but you cannot destroy the heart."
"I feel that I am ordinary just like everyone."
"I just want to walk with you between the raindrops."
He also stood up for his younger disabled brother when he was bullied through school. He's interested in Psychology and the mind. He got pretty upset about Courtney Love after Kurt Cobain died too, and wrote some songs on Ava Adore about all that.
Still, I'm not sure...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcZo82EvwMY"]Billy Corgan on Regis & Kathie Lee[/YOUTUBE]

E

Epiphany

Billy Corgan on Regis & Kathie Lee[/YOUTUBE]

I was just about to post that interview.

Strangely, I was watching Smashing Pumpkins videos this morning and popped their cd in and have been listening to it all day.

KDude

Underrated guitarist.. There weren't many shredders in his era, but he's one of them. He never gets the credit for it (I mean, more attention is on the songwriting). What that has to do with type? Nothing. I just felt like pointing it out (Iha was never the good one btw.. Billy gave him parts.). This thread needs music :)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_4Ok35HEJQ].[/youtube]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I put their "Rhinoceros" video in my blog a little bit ago. Speaking of shredding - 3:30 into that song.

E

Epiphany

I definitely get an INF vibe from him.

Something about D'arcy's eyes in this video captivates me. She makes me want to do naughty things.

[YOUTUBE="rSfLTr75Q6o"]Zero[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
wow ^ (the naughty bit)

infj. Perfectionist by trade, right down to the very last word. Eye movement is smooth, constant.

Eno's also an infj. Strange he should come up.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
He seems pretty clearly INFP to me. That Regis & Kathie Lee interview - General posture, way he formulates his sentences, very timid way he's doing both feels Fi dom. I would say though that based on his lyrics, Fe is also a highly used function, both not so much Ni, which is why I'm not choosing INFJ. When he's talking, he also doesn't really talk about who he is (Ni) as opposed to how he feels, reacts to different situations (especially when he talks about how much he enjoys the show)(Fi). He even says the important thing for him is that people are enjoying his music (Fe).

INFP. My final answer.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Once upon a time, state brought up enfj, a thought which now makes me want to revise my last post.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once upon a time, state brought up enfj, a thought which now makes me want to revise my last post.

I considered that also, but there's just something introverted about him - I realize Regis & Kathie Lee come off as extreme Es in that video, but the contrast is still interesting. If he has Fe, I don't think he's leading with it - I think he would have gotten amped up from their energy otherwise. At the outset, maybe eNFJ, but near the ambivert line.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I loooove Billy Corgan!! Smashing Pumpkins was my favorite band all through middle and high school, and his songs/lyrics got me through some tough times.

I would definitely say INFx. Not sure about J vs P.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The only thing that I got from those interviews was IxFx.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
From Billy's "Personal Life" section on Wikipedia:

Personal life

Billy Corgan has struggled with depression for much of his life, including bouts of self-injury, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and suicidal thoughts.[24] Corgan attributes this to the abuse he endured as a child, as well as his personal anxieties and issues.[24] While he believes he is far more stable now, he still occasionally battles depression and has become an advocate for support networks.[24]

His mother Martha died in December 1996. The song "For Martha", from Adore, was written in her memory. In the early 2000s, Corgan would name his label Martha's Music after her as well. A picture of Martha as a little girl sitting on a fake moon at Riverview Park is featured on the flipside of the Siamese Dream booklet.[25]

Corgan is an avid sports fan. A childhood fan of the Cubs, he later commented on that team for WXRT DJ Lin Brehmer.[26] He has appeared at Cubs games many times, occasionally throwing the ceremonial first pitch or singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". He was a devoted fan of the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks in the 1990s, and became personal friends with Dennis Rodman[6] and Chris Chelios.[27] He is a lifelong fan of professional wrestling and self-described "wrestlemaniac,"[28] and appeared in an ECW pro wrestling wielding an acoustic guitar as a weapon.[29] In 2008, the Pumpkins song "Doomsday Clock" was used by Ring of Honor for promotional videos.[30] On April 26, 2010, Corgan appeared live on the SIRIUS Satellite Radio program "Right After Wrestling" with Arda Ocal to discuss his love for pro wrestling and the importance of unique theme songs for characters. On August 26, 2010, Corgan took part in a professional wrestling storyline with wrestlers from the Mexican promotion Asistencia Asesoría y Administración, during a concert for MTV World Stage.[31] As far as other entertainment, Corgan once commented that all he watches on TV are "sports and Three Stooges."[32] In March 2008, he was spotted in the crowd at the final day of the cricket test match between New Zealand and England in Wellington.

He incorporates elements of Catholicism and Buddhism into his spiritual philosophy, even though he has not publicly aligned himself with any one faith.[33] On September 9, 2009, Billy launched Everything From Here to There, an interfaith website that is devoted to "Mind-Body-Soul" integration. He mentions praying each morning and night to be able to see through Christ's eyes and feel with his heart.[34] On his drive to create art and music, he said, "God is just out my back door, yet I choose not to visit. I would rather sit alone and scheme on how to be remembered, on what more that I can do here to cement the evidence that I once walked these roads with you. It is a futile exercise. I know it is, and yet I persist."[35]

While Corgan typically avoids discussing US politics, he said after the 2008 presidential election, "I'm very proud of my country right now for doing the right thing."[36] In 2009, he posted a transcript of a webcast by political activist Lyndon LaRouche to the official Smashing Pumpkins forum.[37] On March 10, 2009, Billy Corgan testified in front of congress on behalf of the musicFIRST Coalition. Corgan spoke in favor of H.R. 848, the Performance Rights Act, which gives musicians and artists their share of compensation when their music is played on music radio stations.[38]

In 1993, he married his longtime on-again, off-again girlfriend, museum book restorer and artist Chris Fabian. They were married at a small ceremony at his house in Wrigleyville.[39] Rumors circulated that Corgan and Love rekindled their romance during the Pumpkins' 1994 Lollapalooza tour, after Cobain's death.[40] Corgan and Fabian separated sometime in 1995, and divorced in 1997. Corgan refused to discuss the subject in interviews, saying "There is not and will not be any public record on my marriage - that's one thing I have to draw lines around."[41] He nevertheless described the circumstances of his marriage in his online Confessions, in 2005.[39]

In late 1995[6], he started dating photographer Yelena Yemchuk, who had contributed to several Smashing Pumpkins videos and album art. The 2000 Smashing Pumpkins hit "Stand Inside Your Love" was written about her. He continued to date Yemchuk until around 2004. According to Corgan, his breakup with her contributed to the themes of his 2005 solo release, The Future Embrace.[42] In 2008, Corgan said, "I've had a bad marriage and seven bad girlfriends in a row", a perspective he attributes to his dedication to music.[43]

In early 2006, Corgan moved in with Courtney Love and her daughter, Frances Bean Cobain. According to Love, he had his own wing in her new Hollywood Hills mansion.[44] Two years later, Love criticized Corgan publicly over the latter's alleged refusal to attend Frances' sweet 16 birthday party.[45] In 2009, he was spotted on several occasions with LA weather forecaster, Jackie Johnson, fueling rumors that the two were dating.[46][47] Things have been rocky between him and Courtney Love the past few years, but the level of tension has increased. In March 2010, Corgan stated in an interview in reference about Love "I have no interest in supporting her in any way, shape or form. You can't throw enough things down the abyss with a person like that" and said he parted ways with her. Shortly after, when Hole's Nobody's Daughter was released, Corgan unleashed on his Twitter a set of anger-filled tweets against her in reference to including two songs he wrote, "Samantha" and "How Dirty Girls Get Clean," that ended up on the new album without his permission. Love then wrote an apology to him on her Facebook, but things heated up. Billy took to his Twitter again in six tweets, attacking her again. Courtney responded to Corgan's tweets saying "All i am is nice about you so if you wanna be mean be mean i dont feel anything. i have too much to feel dear." [48]

In late 2009, Corgan was reportedly involved romantically with singer and actress Jessica Simpson.[49] [50] [51], although the couple had reportedly split up.[52] [53] According to the photographer Kristen Burns, Corgan and Simpson were working together on the song during the recording sessions to Pumpkins' concept album project Teargarden by Kaleidyscope.[54] [55] In January 2010, the couple has been pictured by Burns in the studio with the producer Kerry Brown who linked to the pictures on his Twitter account.[56] Simpson herself posted a series of messages regarding the common session, saying: "I am blessed. Going over a song with Billy and the boxer." [57] and "He braids my prayers."[58]

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Association with estps. Jackie!!! The bit about his refusal to attend the b-day party is the strongest piece of evidence for infj rather than e.

E

Epiphany

Association with estps. Jackie!!! The bit about his refusal to attend the b-day party is the strongest piece of evidence for infj rather than e.

His refusal to attend her party doesn't necessarily have anything to do with introversion although I do believe that he's introverted.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
His refusal to attend her party doesn't necessarily have anything to do with introversion although I do believe that he's introverted.

I love the contrast in your "doesn't necessarily have anything to do with introversion" statement. :)