• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins

E

Epiphany

I love the contrast in your "doesn't necessarily have anything to do with introversion" statement. :)

What do you mean?

There could have been a number of reasons why he didn't go to this party. Maybe there were particular people there who he didn't want to associate with. Maybe he didn't like Courtney's daughter and didn't want to celebrate the day of her birth. Maybe something else came up that he thought was more important, but Courtney didn't. Simply because he didn't go to that party isn't sufficient evidence that he's an introvert.

E

Epiphany

"Doesn't necessarily" implies uncertainty.

"...have anything to do with" implies the opposite.

I used the word "necessarily" because we don't know the reason why he didn't go to the party. You stated that his absence from her party was the strongest evidence for him being introverted, when he could have avoided the party for various reasons. Maybe he did avoid it because he's introverted, but we don't know that so it doesn't make sense to assume that's why he didn't attend.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I used the word "necessarily" because we don't know the reason why he didn't go to the party. You stated that his absence from her party was the strongest evidence for him being introverted, when he could have avoided the party for various reasons. Maybe he did avoid it because he's introverted, but we don't know that so it doesn't make sense to assume that's why he didn't attend.

Yeah, I already understand the intention.

I wonder if there's already a dozen pages on this chap in the nf songwriter thread.

E

Epiphany

Damn you for being in OCD refresh mode before I could fix my post!

No, I just find semantics more interesting than him.

I don't agree with your semantical argument; I was just trying to understand your reasoning for this statement:

The bit about his refusal to attend the b-day party is the strongest piece of evidence for infj rather than e.

I think his manner of communication is a greater indicator of his introversion, but we'll just agree to disagree. :)

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am going to agree with the INFP group..

Normally I assign ISFP ESFP to most artists.. because well, they are the artists.

But Billy Corgan is one of my exceptions.

I lean towards P over J based mostly on his lyrics.. which are very very personal and scream of Fi..

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh, that big long quote says INFJ to me. Plus, he's had several public emotional meltdowns (via blog), and I can't see a Fi-dom doing that.... Fi-doms sort of self-implode....

Normally I assign ISFP ESFP to most artists.. because well, they are the artists.

Put.down.the.Keirsey.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't agree with your semantical argument; I was just trying to understand your reasoning for this statement:

I think his manner of communication is a greater indicator of his introversion, but we'll just agree to disagree. :)

How do you know whether or not I agree with you? I explicitly pointed out that I wasn't implying anything, either way.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Eh, that big long quote says INFJ to me. Plus, he's had several public emotional meltdowns (via blog), and I can't see a Fi-dom doing that.... Fi-doms sort of self-implode....

Put.down.the.Keirsey.

S's would also be better equipped to roll with the punches of the Entertainment world.. which is cruel and not for the emotionally hypersensitive.. Most NF celebs are dead before 30 .. seriously.

But yeah, cute post anyway :wubbie:

E

Epiphany

How do you know whether or not I agree with you? I explicitly pointed out that I wasn't implying anything, either way.

In order to agree with me you would have to disagree with your original statement. I didn't really intend for this to drag on; so let's call it a day, shall we?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
S's would also be better equipped to roll with the punches of the Entertainment world.. which is cruel and not for the emotionally hypersensitive.. Most NF celebs are dead before 30 .. seriously.

But yeah, cute post anyway :wubbie:

I think quite the opposite.... In Gifts Differing, Myers says that ISFPs are more keenly aware of the gap between their ideals (Fi) and reality (Se), and so they may have a hard time coping with life. INFPs often have a childlike idealism that is hard to kill, because Ne keeps finding new hope. That's just one example of NFs being hardy.

Although, I don't see what any of that has to do with being a musician or artist anyway......

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In order to agree with me you would have to disagree with your original statement. I didn't really intend for this to drag on; so let's call it a day, shall we?

His manner of communication in the wikipedia quote or video?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was talking about the video, but I really don't know what point you are trying to make so I have nothing more to say about it.

I think if he were a 4, Corgan would've gone to bed an hour ago. :smile:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You mean enneagram 4? Is he 3w4? That would be my guess.

Yeah, e4. I don't have a snap judgment for e3s just quite yet, but the cutting his wrists part isn't something I'd ever do as an e5. 3w4 or 4w3.