• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Albert Camus "The Stranger"

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Let's type the characters, shall we:

Meursault - IxTJ
From the INTJ forum:
I will go a step further and say that he is definitely IxTJ. I was uncertain about the 'N' though. He said that he doesn't have much imagination, yet has a great memory. Hmm.
Indeed, he often remembers his mothers sayings. He also thinks much in his head about possibilities behind actions: what would happen if he say one thing or another, and he picks the right choice. Like the scene where his "friend" wanted to draw a weapon and shoot the Arab. Meursault didn't want to make him angry by giving a negative reaction, so he responds neutrally. Does this sound N-ish?
He is definitely J because he is very dependable with his job, and has certain habits, etc. Yes, that's true, he does think about possibilities... Still not sure, however. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Marie - xxFJ
Could be a Sensor for volunteering to wash dish and stuff. J, because thinks about getting married with Meursault in the future and so on. I could be wrong.

Raymond - ExTx
E, because likes company and getting out. Raymond's plan:
[...] For Raymond, Meursault agrees to write a letter to his girlfriend, with the sole purpose of inviting her over so that Raymond can have sex with her and beat her up one last time.
screams T. Maybe TJ more than NT.

Salamano (Meursault's neighbor) - xxTJ
Definitely J:
Twice a day, at eleven and six, the old fellow takes his dog for a walk, and for
eight years that walk has never varied.
and etc. I thought of T, because he was always unhappy of his dog's behavior and harmed him many times. He's probably a Sensor and Introverted.

Masson (Raymond's friend) - xSTP
I'm sure about S - values money, big houses near the sea...

Xandford

MBTI Type
INTJ
Raymond's plan:
[...] For Raymond, Meursault agrees to write a letter to his girlfriend, with the sole purpose of inviting her over so that Raymond can have sex with her and beat her up one last time.
screams T.
HAHA, oh c'mon, really? is T really synonymous with heartless asshole?

also I'll have to say that Meursault is an ISTJ. Si seems to fit his whole remembering what mother said, in my opinion.

Niaurus

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't consider such behavior "heartless asshole", profit-wise maybe? Or maybe I'm just a heartless asshole.

Sensor? Just because he kinda simplifies the routine surroundings? Do You recall his thoughts when he was put in prison, on the death sentence and so? Seemed N-ish to me.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
According to Stephen Montgomery, in The Pygmalion Project: Love and Coercion Among the Types-Vol.1-The Artisan, Meursault is an ISFP.

He says:

In their pursuit of "fun", Sensualists [ISFPs] often seem to others to have a distant air about them, something slightly impersonal and self-centered, as if their pleasure in a relationship is the most important thing, not their partner. Sensualists can be wonderfully sympathetic and kind, it is true, but their sympathy and kindness often seem indiscriminate, promiscuous, as if offered more for the pleasure of the giving than out of concern for the other person. And while Sensualists may love energetically, they are instinctively cautious about personal obligation, loving for the fun of it, the sensual play, quite content to avoid the normal responsibilities of marriage and family. Meursault, the existential antihero in Albert Camus' The Stranger illustrates all of these ideas (to an almost pathological extreme), kindly accomodating almost everyone in the novel, but oddly disturbing them with his blank indifference to their personal concerns.

He goes on to talk about Meursault's relationship with Marie, commenting that:

Meursault is so indifferent to love because his relation to Marie, and to the world as a whole, is so purely sensual.

Montgomery goes on to explain how Meursault lives in "the now", as opposed to "astracting moments into the mental images of past and future."

Indeed, when questioned by the prosecutor about whether he regretted murdering the Arab, Meursault admits:
I didn't feel much regret for what I'd done. Still...I'd have liked to have a chance of explaining to him, in a quite friendly, almost affectionate way, that I have never been able really to regret anything in all my life. I've always been far too absorbed in the present moment, or the immediate future, to think back.

Montgomery concludes that:
This point is vital to understand the Sensualists, indeed, all the Artisans [SPs]: they live so completely in the present moment, their senses so fully involved in the details of immediate reality, that they are nearly oblivious to past and future. This living on the razor's edge of time is at the heart of the most characteristic Artisan behavior.

and that it is:
the Sensualist's freedom from consciousness, their indifference to our intellectual complications--their innocence, really--that makes them so attractive to many of us.

Incidentally, I have not read The Stranger, so I can't really comment on the merits of Montgomery's analysis.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Oh--and.....

Montgomery says that Marie and the Prosecutor are "Guardians" (SJs), but he does not specify whether they are ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, or ESTJ.

Marie is desribed as:
his new girlfriend, a young Guardian

and the Prosecutor is described as:
the prosecutor in his trial (an outraged Guardian)

S

Stansmith

So far.....

Raymond - ESFP 6w7 - 8w7 - 2w3 So/Sx

Mersault - ISFP 9w8-5w4-2w1 or 3w? Sp/So

Marie - ESFJ 2w1-6w7-9w1 So/Sx

Last edited:
S

Stansmith

Merseault is very Se. He can read situations accurately as they happen, and he's strangely comfortable in immediate, life-threatening situations. He barely ever reflects on what he's doing from a big-picture perspective.

segovois

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mersault = INTP 9w1 Sp/Sx
Masson = ESTP 3w2 Sx/So
Raymond = ESTJ 8w9 Sx/So
Marie = ENFP (with ESFJ trends)
Salamano = ISTP 1w2 Sx/Sp