• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Michael Jackson

heart

heart on fire
Considering his childhood, who wouldn't want to escape?
His father was an abusive SOB.
Beat the kids all the time.
Someone should have kicked his father's ass, ages ago.
I can't stand people who beat kids.

Yeah and now they are saying his mother may get his children.

Jaguar

Yeah and now they are saying his mother may get his children.

Well isn't that what Jackson reportedly placed in his will?
I'm not sure if his parents live together in the same house.
Do they?

I saw Joe Jackson give some speech about giving the kids a "loving" home.
Those kids shouldn't even be around that nutcase.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bunch of OT stuff moved to the graveyard to die.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
A strong S is not into innovation, they would be into what is conventional.

I completely disagree with this. Madonna is conventional? Elvis? Donald Trump? Hemingway? SPs are called "improvisors" for a reason.

If MBTI bothers people so much than just stick with Keirseyan temperament (which is not based on MBTI). SP (extraverted sensing dominant or auxiliary) versus NF (intuition and feeling dominant and auxiliary).

SPs:
concrete language
pragmatic/utilitarian (independence)
seek to master technique
value aesthetics
want to perform with skill
prize freedom
trust impulses
need to make an impact and all of their behaviors are centered around making an impact
risk-takers
life is play

All of that fits Michael Jackson.

NFs:
abstract language
affiliative (interdependence)
value authenticity and ethics
prize having a unique identity
need meaning and significance and behaviors are centered around relationships

While I can relate to Michael Jackson in many ways, I don't see how he was nearly as relationship-centered as an NF typically is. Our relation to humanity and human beings is our life. He would rather relate to animals and children, not soulmates and empathic companions.

And I don't think his musical videos are really all that abstract. His videos mostly tell stories and use iconic imagery, both things highly associated with SPs more than any other temperament. "Thriller", "Beat It", "Smooth Criminal", "Blood on the Dance Floor" all tell very straight-forward stories. What makes any of his videos impressive is the dancing, the fact that a lot of what he did, he did first, and the vivid images. And I think you have to look at someone when they're at their strengths if you're looking to identify type. At his strongest, Michael Jackson was far more like an SP than an NF.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I think some people mistake his perfectionism (and other mannerisms, of course) with him being an INFP. I think he was such a perfectionist because of his father beating him and forcing him to practice and get better. Perfectionism triggered by childhood trauma perhaps?

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been watching old youtube videos of MJ when he was a child in the Jackson 5, and now I'm convinced he's ISFP. His face had that SP look about it -- like he was all there and attune to his surroundings (with a little shyness (I) and sweetness (F) thrown in too of course).

ISFP. I'm sold on it now.

Jaguar

I completely disagree with this. Madonna is conventional? Elvis? Donald Trump? Hemingway? SPs are called "improvisors" for a reason.

If MBTI bothers people so much than just stick with Keirseyan temperament (which is not based on MBTI). SP (extraverted sensing dominant or auxiliary) versus NF (intuition and feeling dominant and auxiliary).

SPs:
concrete language
seek to master technique
value aesthetics
want to perform with skill
prize freedom
trust impulses
need to make an impact and all of their behaviors are centered around making an impact
risk-takers
life is play

SPs are "disciplined with a work ethic second to none"? Hardly.
I just quoted Quincy Jones, who knew and worked with Jackson for decades.
Michael was an innovator, not an improvisor.
There's a huge difference.

Jackson went to great lengths to plan things out.
Jackson's life was all about work, not play.
Frankly, he was a workaholic.

So many who knew him best said as much.

BTW, you guys really need to get over this obsession with putting people in little boxes.
Open your mind already.
Jackson could easily be 50-50 S/N.

It's not unusual.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

BTW, you guys really need to get over this obsession with putting people in little boxes.
Open your mind already.

It's not unusual.

+1 with everything you just said.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In this thread- SPs can't be innovative or creative! He must be N!

D

Dali

SPs:
concrete language
seek to master technique Yap. An old choreographer said he was surprised by how Micheal would stand in front of the mirror practising A SINGLE dance move for hours and hours. He noticed street kids doing 'the moonwalk' and he did it over and over till it felt organic and he had mastered it.
value aesthetics Yap. An obssession with him. Sadly, his perception of aesthetics meant changing his features so.
want to perform with skill Yap. See the part about mastering technique
prize freedom Yap. Neverland? His own little spot of peace away from the rest of the world.
trust impulses Dangling baby from window?
need to make an impact and all of their behaviors are centered around making an impact And he did; few persons have influenced 20th century popular culture as he has
risk-takers
life is play Neverland.

Yap, ISFP. (put my input in bold)

heart

heart on fire

Open your mind already.

It's not unusual.

Since when was INFP known for workaholicism and planning things out? :huh: When was that a specific NP trait? That doesn't make a case for him being more balanced between N and S (whether he was or not).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Since when was INFP known for workaholicism and planning things out? :huh: When was that a N trait? That doesn't make a case for him being more balanced between N and S (whether he was or not).

My thoughts exactly...

jaguar said:

Open your mind already.

It's not unusual.

Much of Jackson's life was about play- what do you think Neverland was all about? Maybe he was just a smart SP.. a smart SP knows that you have to work hard somewhat if you want to do well in your career..also from my experience, Introverts tend to be more workaholic than Extraverts- seeing burying themselves with work as a way to hide from overstimulation..

Jaguar

Since when was INFP known for workaholicism and planning things out? :huh: When was that a specific NP trait? That doesn't make a case for him being more balanced between N and S (whether he was or not).

That was my point. It's not.
This is from one of my other posts:

There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of possible types--not just 16.
Frankly, I think Jackson probably had one hell of a unique function order.
Certainly not any order that would come out of the MBTI cereal box.

Does that sound like I actually believe he could only be INFP or ISFP?
Of course not.

The guy could be balanced in each and every pole.
You nor anyone, would ever know it.

Jung himself said: "Type can not be observed."
But damned if there aren't a bunch of strange people who think all you have to do is look at his clothes,
or the size of his balls, and know his type.

We can't know the many sides of people.
The most creative people are usually complex, and paradoxical.
Psychological research has shown that to be true, time and time again.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I don't think Jackson was any of the 16 types.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In this thread- SPs can't be innovative or creative! He must be N!

I know, right? Actually, ISFP is supposed to be "the artist" which implies creativity. My ISFP ex is creative. I know several S people who are very creative with visual art, music, sewing, crafts, decorating, cooking, etc. I have an ISFJ friend who makes her own yarn.

I also second what Heart said about INFPs and references to MJs workaholism :wtf:. ROFL! Yeah, I don't think that's proof at all, in fact it might be an extreme deterent.

Jaguar

^ You need to start reading posts correctly.
I don't think he was ISFP or INFP.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yap, ISFP.

From reading what ladyinspring wrote and from learning about michael jackson lately it seems to be a possible best fit type. Definately a dominant Fi user :yes:. I heard somewhere that he would never agree to a songs lyrics if he wasn't feeling it.

I also heard from an interview that sounded so SP where he says
pretty much where he can feel energy of the audience and the music go through his body*at least he implied it. I can't remember the exact words used*
I agree on him most likely being a ISFP or at least SP.
:hug:

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP

I don't know what you're talking about, but every SP I've ever known has been an extremely hard worker. Working hard they don't mind (if it's something they enjoy and get a tangible reward from doing); it's being bossed they don't like.

Since Michael Jackson fits the SP temperament to a T and none of the others, I conclude that he is an SP. I remain unconvinced that temperament doesn't exist. He is not a good example of someone who exceeds type. He was an SP.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am not a fan, but from what I've seen on the news, read or heard in passing, and heard of lyrics on the radio at the gym:

IsFP or IxFP personality
INFP lyrics

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ You need to start reading posts correctly.
I don't think he was ISFP or INFP.

The other dominant opinion here is INFP. If I didn't read what type you specified, I apologize. However, Heart made a similar error so it wasn't just me.

I'm in college, you know, I study my work for classes closely. That and stuff that's actually important in the world, like the news. These forums don't generally merit enough energy for me to expend being extremely exacting. I'm here to relax.:D