• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree.

He is one of my favorite artist of all time. I started listening to his music when I was in high school.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
One of my all-time favorites, too! He was just off the chart in levels of talent and soul. I get all emo when I think about the fact that I'll never get the chance to see him play live. So many great artists leave us too soon.

KDude

I think he might be ESFP actually.. he's so much more giddy, high energy, and talkative than his brother (at least when they're together, Jimmy kind of comes across as an ISTP).

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think he might be ESFP actually.. he's so much more giddy, high energy, and talkative than his brother (at least when they're together, Jimmy kind of comes across as an ISTP).

I had considered ESFP, too. The I/E is probably the letter I'm least sure about, and is so hard to read with any certainty in performers.

KDude

Just to contradict myself, I'd think that a guy who's that awesome probably spent a whole lot of time indoors, in his own world, and would be an introvert (not to generalize that extroverts can't be great musicians, but maybe you're right, he's ISFP. That's where I see his introversion at least..in that singleminded focus and solitude.). His behavior seemed more energetic and dynamic though (then again, we can't rule out his cocaine habit at one point...).

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think he, like Hendrix, are intps who get mixed in with isfps because they do generally exhibit the same outward behavior, as any ego-superego pair might.

"Music's probably one of the most important thing I can do, except learn."

wolfy

awsm
I think isfp. You know, he is the only artist to date I can remember being sad about when hearing they died. I can still remember the feeling when I heard his helicopter went down.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
His music is just way too lean and precise. Analysis in the moment comes to him as naturally as an isfp being in his/her own skin.

KDude

It doesn't take analysis. I'll tell you that he's following mostly pentatonic scales and Albert King licks. See, I just analyzed it. ;)

There's really only two big "Kings" in electric blues, BB and Albert. A lot of blues goes either way since (with some variation, of course). Listen to Albert. You hear a more chilled out Stevie.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dpp2iCRwM].[/youtube]

And the fundamentals there aren't complicated in themselves for many guitar players after awhile (most rock and especially blues players are pentatonic based). What seperates Stevie is just energy and soul and frantic-ness (same with Jimi, another pentatonic player).. that's what even BB King has said. That's what stood him out. His energy or soul (which isn't quantifiable in an MBTI sense, of course.. but I'm just saying. To call it analysis is.. I don't know. To each their own. He could very well be INTP, but I don't think he's analyzing through songs either way).

KDude

For what it's worth, here he is with his brother. I don't remember if it's in part one or part two, but they talk about how they got good somewhere in the interview.. just in terms of learning other people's patterns and riffs, and blending things together to finally find themselves in it. Sounds like many kids who play guitar.. the Vaughns are just better (and on second thought Jimmy seems like an F too..they're still different though :thinking:). edit: OK, it's the second interview.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdBCf4hEFE4].[/youtube]
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOs30Pqyfxs&feature=player_embedded#!].[/youtube]

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan 1985 Lifetime Show Canada TV SRV Interview

1:45

"[Playing with one's hands] is something that either bothers you or doesn't bother you; you keep going."

Several years ago, I was driving up a hill with a good intp friend (whose temperament closely resembles that of other intps like Clapton, Hendrix - outwardly placid) and as we rose, I wouldn't apply the gas necessary to maintain a flat speed because we were not in a hurry. He, however, told (neither suggested or implied) me, to "give it more gas."

I've come to understand this stance of his as something that is, more or less, natural for most intps; present them with a problem, and, regardless of social factors that affect explicit action/delivery of speech, they will solve it.

This is why I think Vaughan is an intp.

KDude

Hmm.. I might say the same thing.. I can think of situations where I've done that. You're confirming that somatotype guy who said I was INTP now :whistling: Even though I don't feel like one. What is an INFP supposed to do? Just focus on not being in a hurry.. no problem solving at all?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You could provide exceptions all day, but intps are generally more inclined than infps to compulsively solve anything that needs solving, whether they are consciously aware of the need or not. This is primary Ti for ya.

KDude

I see.. In that case, I'd say it's probably in the realm of exception for me too (and not to give him too much credit, but the somatotype guy did say I was borderline F. Heh). I should probably look into that more.. I'm kind of clueless at a lot of things, so I don't try to solve them. Some things I do though.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
One thing that makes me think he wasn't INTP is that he knew pretty much no theory. He just listened. I read an interview for a guitar magazine and he said he didn't really know half the time what key he was in, didn't know the names of the fancy chords or anything. he figured it all out by ear and feel. As an INTP guitarist myself, and as someone who knows several NTP guitarists, I can vouch for the fact that we're sometimes crippled by the need to know theory. We like to know the systems, and we like to have that knowledge to be able to talk about it with other guitarists.

He also reads F in several of those video interviews you can find on youtube. I'll see if I can find a couple. He's not detached or analytical in his manner of speaking at all. I don't ever find him speaking in abstract concepts much, either.

Not that I wouldn't love to claim him. :-D

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ifp for sure, i'd guess isfp.

i can't tell the enneagram tho, so i'm not sure. 9w8? sx/sp? 4w3?

is he the same as eliot smith?

i have jimi hendrix typed as enfp 7w6 but i've always held open the 9w8 isfp too. he seems more sx/so.

KDude

One thing that makes me think he wasn't INTP is that he knew pretty much no theory. He just listened. I read an interview for a guitar magazine and he said he didn't really know half the time what key he was in, didn't know the names of the fancy chords or anything. he figured it all out by ear and feel. As an INTP guitarist myself, and as someone who knows several NTP guitarists, I can vouch for the fact that we're sometimes crippled by the need to know theory. We like to know the systems, and we like to have that knowledge to be able to talk about it with other guitarists.

He also reads F in several of those video interviews you can find on youtube. I'll see if I can find a couple. He's not detached or analytical in his manner of speaking at all. I don't ever find him speaking in abstract concepts much, either.

That was my guess about Ti as well.. and as for my own F approach, theory wasn't the way I've approached things. I know basic chord names, some scales, but I learned in a pattern oriented sort of way too (some random exploring as well.. I play in odd tunings sometimes, and find new patterns that way. Those were more discovered by recognizing discord or happening upon sweet spots). Except I'm not that good, even after 20 years...so I probably should learn more theory. :blush:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

You bring up "other guitarists". I'm thinking maybe the people interviewing him restrict what he can say. Maybe he's a partial sp type.

Valid points though. How do your intp friends prefer to learn? Solve problems (with others, alone, step by step, etc.)? Are they (verbally) more communicative than Vaughan?