• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Lemme repeat myself...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odemgv5eLok"]Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughn - Ask Me No Questions[/YOUTUBE]

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
You bring up "other guitarists". I'm thinking maybe the people interviewing him restrict what he can say. Maybe he's a partial sp type.

Valid points though. How do your intp friends prefer to learn? Solve problems (with others, alone, step by step, etc.)? Are they (verbally) more communicative than Vaughan?

Well, the NTP approach tends to be more structured. We want to know the makeup of chords, and how they fit with each other, what they're called, why you can use one scale to solo over a progression over another, etc. If we run into a problem, we'll usually analyze it into oblivion, and if we need to seek advice from other guitarists, we'll try to do it using the correct lingo, so there are no misunderstandings. NTPs also tend to be pretty big tech-heads and tone fanatics, buying up all kinds of sometimes unnecessary gear in pursuit of the right sound.

I can relate to what Stevie says about not worrying about fingertip pain, though. Some people are too concerned with little roadblocks like that. If you want to play, you won't let it bother you. If it bothers you too much, you probably weren't meant to play.

I don't think an INTP player would talk more or less than Stevie talks, but I think an INTP player would be more likely to nerd out in their shop talk, rather than talking about the nuts and bolts of what makes a good blues player or telling stories. Here's that written interview I was referencing earlier.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I just don't see much of a preference for abstraction here.

I suspect the Edge from U2 is an INTP. I'm going to try to find an interview with him for comparison.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Here's an interview with The Edge for comparison.

Guitar Player: Edge Interview - 11.10.00

This is a much more INTP approach to the guitar. He's getting off on the history of rock and the direction he's taking on the new album and what it all means philosophically just as much as he's getting off on actual playing. He's more a crafter of music than a down and dirty guitar slinger. And he's just as much about tech as he is about the physicality of playing the notes.

I think both are geniuses. But the approaches are wildly different.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ah, good. Thanks for the explanation, Tallulah.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You bet. This is an interesting discussion! Feeds the guitar nerd within. :smile:

I am in awe of anyone with any sort of true facility with the guitar :doh:

My son is an ISFP and has perfect pitch (he was part of a study with one of our leading research psychiatrists when diagnosed as being Aspi in his early 20's) - he can play any tune note perfect, has photographic-type memory for sound including morse code, in fact any code.

We have shared our love of music over the years, attending many concerts together - he now mentors beginner players at an open mike group and jams regularly. :D

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, the NTP approach tends to be more structured. We want to know the makeup of chords, and how they fit with each other, what they're called, why you can use one scale to solo over a progression over another, etc. If we run into a problem, we'll usually analyze it into oblivion, and if we need to seek advice from other guitarists, we'll try to do it using the correct lingo, so there are no misunderstandings. NTPs also tend to be pretty big tech-heads and tone fanatics, buying up all kinds of sometimes unnecessary gear in pursuit of the right sound.

I can relate to what Stevie says about not worrying about fingertip pain, though. Some people are too concerned with little roadblocks like that. If you want to play, you won't let it bother you. If it bothers you too much, you probably weren't meant to play.

I don't think an INTP player would talk more or less than Stevie talks, but I think an INTP player would be more likely to nerd out in their shop talk, rather than talking about the nuts and bolts of what makes a good blues player or telling stories. Here's that written interview I was referencing earlier.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I just don't see much of a preference for abstraction here.

I suspect the Edge from U2 is an INTP. I'm going to try to find an interview with him for comparison.

Again, I have to agree with Tallulah. I don't play an instrument but I am very much into music. I find myself enjoying it immensely but I also analyze it a great deal. I know little to no terminology and I find it terribly frustrating because I hear certain things and I want to know the names of them. It actually gets in the way of the enjoyment of it.

I know a lot about medicine and I find myself using medical terms to discuss even simple things because to me, it is more precise.

I remember being a teen and listening to his music and my dad walked in. Now my dad loved music a great deal--he played the trombone in the army band and he was forever analyzing/listening to his extensive jazz and classical music collection. He stopped short and said, "Who the hell is that?!" I told him and he left the house and immediately went out and bought some of his music.

I never saw him play live, either. I hope he has own little corner in the universe strumming his guitar into eternity.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Here's an interview with The Edge for comparison.

Guitar Player: Edge Interview - 11.10.00

This is a much more INTP approach to the guitar. He's getting off on the history of rock and the direction he's taking on the new album and what it all means philosophically just as much as he's getting off on actual playing. He's more a crafter of music than a down and dirty guitar slinger. And he's just as much about tech as he is about the physicality of playing the notes.

I think both are geniuses. But the approaches are wildly different.

SRV plays with...feeling.

It seems like many musicians just knock out the notes, and keep going...

Which is why I am picky about my music.

Music isn't supposed to be just a mathematical construct, it's supposed to evoke feelings.

Maybe some INTPs can fake it... :alttongue:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Tallulah's reasoning seems sound to me. I'ma go with ISFP. That is also the vibe I got before reading this thread, fwiw.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I love this guy. Thanks for the thread.